IGNORED

Gary Johnson

no_merde

For those people saying Johnson is 'nowhere near' the best City manager ever, I'm curious to know who you think has been more successful than a man who secured us back to back promotions and took us to within a whisker of the Premier League, massively defying the odds. But to save time, I'll answer that question for you: there's been only one manager and that's Alan Dicks.

He did better than I remember.

For those people saying Johnson is 'nowhere near' the best City manager ever, I'm curious to know who you think has been more successful than a man who secured us back to back promotions and took us to within a whisker of the Premier League, massively defying the odds. But to save time, I'll answer that question for you: there's been only one manager and that's Alan Dicks.

What 'back to back promotions'??!! 

You are aware that implies he got us promoted twice in two consecutive seasons?

When was that?! I thought we lost the play off final against Hull City.

And other City managers have got us promoted so how is GJ our 'best manager ever' ?

Presumably you're aware other managers took us to second place in the top flight, an FA Cup Final, the semi final of the League Cup and promotion to the top tier?

GJ isn't the only one who got us promoted from division 3 - I'm sure you can name others. One in fact won the division by finishing first...

Apologies, I meant to say almost secured us back to back promotions. Which is still a pretty phenomenal achievement in modern football.

Joe Jordan did a good job for us but come on, we lost the league title to the Gas and then he buggered off early the next season. Terry Cooper restored some positivity following the AG8 debacle, but his achievement still doesn't match Johnson's (in my opinion). As for managers who served a hundred years ago, I don't include them because football is a whole different kettle of fish nowadays

Success by  getting 1-0 up then putting 10 men behind the ball may lead to promotion but it wasn't exactly exciting to watch week in week out. 

In fact is was pedestrian, dull and boring. 

Thats why Johnson has never been a great City manager in my view.

Cooper, Jordan, Ward, Wilson and recently Cotterill all played far superior football and were all far better managers.

For those people saying Johnson is 'nowhere near' the best City manager ever, I'm curious to know who you think has been more successful...

In relative terms, Terry Cooper.  By a country mile.  We were bottom of the league.  No money (none.  Zero.  Nothing).  Kids - real kids, YTS, students, the lot - he somehow bundled together a team with money from down the back of the sofa and took us into the next division, secured our position as a viable club and took us to two Wembley finals.  And signed his successor (Jordan), who didn't work out too badly.

Apologies, I meant to say almost secured us back to back promotions. Which is still a pretty phenomenal achievement in modern football.

Joe Jordan did a good job for us but come on, we lost the league title to the Gas and then he buggered off early the next season. Terry Cooper restored some positivity following the AG8 debacle, but his achievement still doesn't match Johnson's (in my opinion). As for managers who served a hundred years ago, I don't include them because football is a whole different kettle of fish nowadays

Not sure I can agree with you.

For a start what Terry Cooper did for us was nothing short of a miracle given the circumstances at the time. To say GJ achieved more is so so disrespectful and dismissive.

So, you've basically wiped out much of our history as it doesn't sit well with your argument?

Being champions of what is now the Championship in 1905/06 and then finishing runners up the next season in what is now the Premier League should be forgotten?

Narrowly losing to Man Utd in a major Cup Final is nothing to you?

Winning what is now league one in 1923, 1927 and 1955 doesn't matter? And being runners up in 1965 is irrelevant?

The team that went 30 games unbeaten should be ignored?

Our 14 straight wins in the top division (a record) count for nothing? 

Our double over Man Utd in 1974 didn't happen?

Getting to the semi final of the League Cup in 1971 isn't worth remembering?

Kevin Mabbutt's hatrick at Old Trafford doesn't warrant a mention?

Getting to the League Cup semi final again in 1989 didn't matter?

All achieved without GJ in charge but they all don't count.

I bet the managers who achieved all these things above, and more, would welcome being wiped from our history....

Clubs are built on their heritage and history - that's why teams like Huddersfield, PNE and Blackpool are rightly known as successful English football clubs.

Football did not start in 1992....

Success by  getting 1-0 up then putting 10 men behind the ball may lead to promotion but it wasn't exactly exciting to watch week in week out. 

In fact is was pedestrian, dull and boring. 

Thats why Johnson has never been a great City manager in my view.

Cooper, Jordan, Ward, Wilson and recently Cotterill all played far superior football and were all far better managers.

Spot on. Joe Jordans team although finished 2nd to the Gas got us to a League Cup Semi final and played the most expansive style of football we have ever played had he not left for Hearts who knows where we could have ended up?

Look at all our results under GJ all either 2-1 or 1-0 wins, it wasnt pretty at all and his post match antics of being a cheeky chappy was boring after a while.

For a start what Terry Cooper did for us was nothing short of a miracle given the circumstances at the time. To say GJ achieved more is so so disrespectful and dismissive.

So, you've basically wiped out much of our history as it doesn't sit well with your argument?

Being champions of what is now the Championship in 1905/06 and then finishing runners up the next season in what is now the Premier League should be forgotten?

Winning what is now league one in 1923, 1927 and 1955 doesn't matter? And being runners up in 1965 is irrelevant?

I bet the managers who achieved all these things above, and more, would welcome being wiped from our history....

Clubs are built on their heritage and history - that's why teams like Huddersfield, PNE and Blackpool are rightly known as successful English football clubs.

I agree with your point but I'd say we're on a par with those clubs, if not bigger.

Thickett

Dicks

Cooper

Johnson

I think that's about right. How about for the worst managers? :laugh:

Spot on..

In relative terms, Terry Cooper.  By a country mile.  We were bottom of the league.  No money (none.  Zero.  Nothing).  Kids - real kids, YTS, students, the lot - he somehow bundled together a team with money from down the back of the sofa and took us into the next division, secured our position as a viable club and took us to two Wembley finals.  And signed his successor (Jordan), who didn't work out too badly.

Spot on..again..

and , yes , Spot on..again.

except that's not a nickname, a nickname is  a shortened version of the original. It's an attempt to try and be funny by calling him codger when Kodjia is just as easy to write. 

Same blokes who think calling El Abd, 'El Bad' is hilarious I expect. 

What's wrong with "Codger"? In the past we've had, SoD, Del Boy, Tin Man, Jackie, Physco, Big John etc. We've even got a "Gilts" on the forum!

except that's not a nickname, a nickname is  a shortened version of the original. It's an attempt to try and be funny by calling him codger when Kodjia is just as easy to write. 

Same blokes who think calling El Abd, 'El Bad' is hilarious I expect. 

wow you are a miserable sod. Bet you're a barrel of laughs down the pub.

i admit the nickname isn't great but I legitimately forgot how to spell it so it is easier to write codger.

If Johnson would have signed another striker in January to partner dele adebola up front we would have gone up in my opinion, which would have to have put him up there. But he didn't and we faltered.. The rest is history. Play off final defeat to hull worse day of my life. Alan dicks, Joe Jordan, Gary Johnson, Steve cotteril. All good mangers , all different. Enjoyed Danny Wilson style of play but frustrated with no end product. Plus never forgive him for not putting lita on the bench against Brighton!

wow you are a miserable sod. Bet you're a barrel of laughs down the pub.

i admit the nickname isn't great but I legitimately forgot how to spell it so it is easier to write codger.

I wasn't paying much attention and just copied your spelling, and a nickname was born :clapping:.

Ask Scot Murray who the best manager he ever played for was?

I'm fairly sure someone was on here a while ago proclaiming Carey said that SoD was the best coach/manager he ever worked with - being good in the players eyes isn't necessarily successful.

Also re the Wilson team wasn't that the drinking club at this football club - tried to be wiped out by Tinman and then was successfully by GJ?

Your're  missing the point Dave.

why don't you make it clearer then?  You seem to be saying that a manager who never won promotion with us and who won two promotions in a career spanning 22 seasons, is better than someone who won one with us and took us to our highest league finish for at least 30 years.  Also Johnson has been promoted four times in his career.  

why don't you make it clearer then?  You seem to be saying that a manager who never won promotion with us and who won two promotions in a career spanning 22 seasons, is better than someone who won one with us and took us to our highest league finish for at least 30 years.  Also Johnson has been promoted four times in his career.  

The point is that GJ achieved promotion by adopting a pedestrian and uninspiring style of play. He did the same at Yeovil. Even though City got within a game of the PL that season I never left AG during the league campaign with that "feel good" factor. I experienced that feeling many times under Wilson and again after almost every game last season. 

To me it's more important to be entertained and should that more expansive style of football be employed ( like last season) then I'll be very happy bunny.

To me Cotterill is a far more capable manager than GJ. SC is a far better man manager, has a greater tactical imagination and inspires players with his enthusiasm and nouse just as Wilson did.  Johnson on the other hand was/is a one trick pony who rules his players through fear, lacks tactical nouse and blames his players everytime a game was lost. When he reached the Championship he was found out after one season and the same thing happened at Yeovil but down there  it was just one season. He ran Yeovil, your and my club as if it were a family corner shop. 

No doubt GJ will do well in the conference. He knows all about lower league football and he'll have them playing the only was he knows. 

The point is that GJ achieved promotion by adopting a pedestrian and uninspiring style of play. He did the same at Yeovil. Even though City got within a game of the PL that season I never left AG during the league campaign with that "feel good" factor. I experienced that feeling many times under Wilson and again after almost every game last season. 

To me it's more important to be entertained and should that more expansive style of football be employed ( like last season) then I'll be very happy bunny.

To me Cotterill is a far more capable manager than GJ. SC is a far better man manager, has a greater tactical imagination and inspires players with his enthusiasm and nouse just as Wilson did.  Johnson on the other hand was/is a one trick pony who rules his players through fear, lacks tactical nouse and blames his players everytime a game was lost. When he reached the Championship he was found out after one season and the same thing happened at Yeovil but down there  it was just one season. He ran Yeovil, your and my club as if it were a family corner shop. 

No doubt GJ will do well in the conference. He knows all about lower league football and he'll have them playing the only was he knows. 

He may be a 'one trick pony ' but that's some trick !

We'd all settle for third in the Championship now, wouldn't we?!

By that measure, Johnson is the most successful City manager of the last three decades.

Unfortunately,  the same character traits that allowed this success undermined the team when things started going wrong. 

Archived