IGNORED

England

Bs4Red

and yet so many criticise England for "only beating the rubbish teams".

Cant win can they? Anything less than 4-0 every game in qualifying is seen as a failure, yet teams like Spain struggling against minnows, Germany losing to Ireland and only just beating Georgia with a damn good squad for both games.

i really wish we as a nation just gave the team a bit of slack. We've just won 10 out of 10, regardless of the opposition that is a fantastic achievement. I think some people just like to moan, the same idiots who say Rooney isn't a great player. All those goals despite rarely ever having a good game in some people's eyes makes it an even better achievement!

Spot the difference between us and the likes of Spain and Germany.

10/10 can only beat the teams put infront of you and Roy and the boys have done that so cant complain.

Think Hodgson with the squad we now have is doing a fine job FWIW we play decent stuff with a young and average team. 

Dont get me wrong the last World Cup was a disaster but looking back we were beaten by 2 better teams. With the amount of other average teams qualified for Euro 2016 I would say we have a fair chance of getting to the Quarters at least

Everyone keeps saying it was a rubbish group.... In fairness which of the groups do you think we would have struggled in? Seriously- remove the top seed from each group and replace it with England. With the exception of group D you would expect us to walk all of them with ease. And group D only becomes more difficult on the bases that we would be in the same group as Scotland and Ireland who, lets be honest, would be more up for the games against us than they would against any other opponent (but we would still be expected to beat them). My point being that we are the only team with a 100% record.

I'm not claiming this England team are world beaters, but it wasn't too long ago that everyone was calling for a clear out of the old guard and to give a more youthful team a go- that we needed players who didn't play with the past failures weighing them down and that players were living on past reputations etc All of sudden we have a team like that and people are slating them because they have been drawn in a group that they see as too easy!

This England team aren't the best in the world, but they play for the shirt (look how happy Barkley was when he scored his first England goal - try telling him it doesn't matter as it was past San Marino) and they give their all. That's all I ask of an England team as I'm under no illusions as to how good they actually are. Perhaps people need to lower their expectations and just enjoy the fact that this young team has, for the first time in England's history, qualified having won every game.

Just to add that I imagine that  a lot of countries would be very jealous of having prospects with the potential of Sterling, Barkley, Stones, Shaw, Butland and Kane in their ranks.

Everyone keeps saying it was a rubbish group.... In fairness which of the groups do you think we would have struggled in? Seriously- remove the top seed from each group and replace it with England. With the exception of group D you would expect us to walk all of them with ease. And group D only becomes more difficult on the bases that we would be in the same group as Scotland and Ireland who, lets be honest, would be more up for the games against us than they would against any other opponent (but we would still be expected to beat them). My point being that we are the only team with a 100% record.

I'm not claiming this England team are world beaters, but it wasn't too long ago that everyone was calling for a clear out of the old guard and to give a more youthful team a go- that we needed players who didn't play with the past failures weighing them down and that players were living on past reputations etc All of sudden we have a team like that and people are slating them because they have been drawn in a group that they see as too easy!

This England team aren't the best in the world, but they play for the shirt (look how happy Barkley was when he scored his first England goal - try telling him it doesn't matter as it was past San Marino) and they give their all. That's all I ask of an England team as I'm under no illusions as to how good they actually are. Perhaps people need to lower their expectations and just enjoy the fact that this young team has, for the first time in England's history, qualified having won every game.

Just to add that I imagine that  a lot of countries would be very jealous of having prospects with the potential of Sterling, Barkley, Stones, Shaw, Butland and Kane in their ranks.

I partly agree. So many people will tell you we are rubbish, so we shouldn't be walking any group surely? Which makes the achievement even better.

I was disappointed to see Jamie Carragher's comments about this being "the easiest England team to get into". Like you say, for years we've been crying out for a clear out of the "old guard" and give the youth a chance, especially in the dead rubber games when we've already qualified. Roy does the right thing and then gets a prat like Carragher piping up like that.

It WAS a rubbish group.

Eufa wanted qualification to become easier.

It was.

Wells and Northern Ireland [ like the GWA ... Good sorts qualified.

Some of the groups were really easy.

Acton Turville, Gibraltar and Scotland missed out.

England will flatter to deceive. Belch, and fart out.

Column inches in the SUN on shame again if they go to Marseilles ...

It WAS a rubbish group.

It was.

Top place that :thumbsup:

It WAS a rubbish group.

It was.

I thought Acton Turville qualified?  With Barrington Chumbly-Warner up front for them how did they throw it away? 

Yes of course but whatever anyone thinks of Roy he has got us performing consistantly. A 100% quali record is quite a big achievement for us. Roy has got the players playinf for the shirt again. 

We never Had 100% Records with superstars like Becks. Gerrard Lamps etc...

England usually steamroll the groups bar the Wally with the brolly era and then recently flatter to deceive when the tournament begins. 100% record fair enough, the result in Swizterland set us up very nicely for qualification. Can't fault that but please let's hope we've learnt from the debacle in Brazil. 

I partly agree. So many people will tell you we are rubbish, so we shouldn't be walking any group surely? Which makes the achievement even better.

I was disappointed to see Jamie Carragher's comments about this being "the easiest England team to get into". Like you say, for years we've been crying out for a clear out of the "old guard" and give the youth a chance, especially in the dead rubber games when we've already qualified. Roy does the right thing and then gets a prat like Carragher piping up like that.

It probably is the easiest team to get into though. Carragher himself would walk into this team but when he was playing he hardly got a sniff. Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry and Ledly King were ahead of him in the pecking order. 

His old buddy Robbie Fowler would be nailed on in this team as well but he was up against Shearer, Sheringham, Les Ferdinand and won less caps than he should due to the competition. You could also throw in Cole, Collymore and Le Tissier in there as well. Would Vardy and Welbeck etc be anywhere near the team if these guys were around today?..I'm not so sure. 

Charlie George, 1 cap, sixty minutes played...

It is easier to qualify, as there are 24 teams that go through. In theory, it should not really be that much easier to win a group. Yes we lucked out in the draw, as the biggest challenge, Switzerland, turned out to be poor. However, we really could only beat who we played, which they did.

As has been said, bigger tests to come, but not really a stand out team for me at the moment, so yea, why not?

Archived