IGNORED

Atyeo Stand

HanhamRed

Earlier today I was chatting to somebody who works at a senior level at a local company that was heavily involved with the stadium rebuild.

Just in passing I asked whether they were now finished up at the Gate, and he told me that the redevelopment of the Atyeo stand was just about to be signed off and had been kept quiet until all hurdles were overcome, presumably purchasing the houses behind the Atyeo etc.

He's not really a football fan so I don't think it was a wind-up. I know this was discussed on this board heavily over the summer that this might be done at some point, but has anybody else heard that this is actually going ahead? The way he was talking sounded like they could potentially move ahead when the current work is completed in the summer? Surely we don't need more than 27k seats at the moment?

I always love it when the rumour resurfaces of buying up those houses.

People do live there and actually might not want to move. Equally, with no compulsory purchase, the last owner standing gets to name a ridiculous price.

So no, any rumoured refurbishment will not involve purchasing and demolishing people's houses. Ever. 

The post was really to see whether anybody else had heard whether any imminent Atyeo Stand redevelopment was happening, as oppose to whether the houses were getting bought up. Although it's hard to see how any redevelopment can go ahead with the tight footprint that exists now.

I was thinking earlier, how about re-cladding the stand in the white like the outside of the south/west stands will be just to make it look more uniform from the outside.

They could possibly even change the turnstiles so that they are similar to the new versions. 

It wouldn't look perfect but at least it gives it more of an included feel in the new stadium.

• Admin

The post was really to see whether anybody else had heard whether any imminent Atyeo Stand redevelopment was happening, as oppose to whether the houses were getting bought up. Although it's hard to see how any redevelopment can go ahead with the tight footprint that exists now.

The stand IS being redeveloped though !

Underneath is going to be completely changed, sadly a case of 2+2=5 here

I always love it when the rumour resurfaces of buying up those houses.

People do live there and actually might not want to move. Equally, with no compulsory purchase, the last owner standing gets to name a ridiculous price.

So no, any rumoured refurbishment will not involve purchasing and demolishing people's houses. Ever. 

I've been told that someone living in one of the houses contacted the club when he recently put the house on the market, but the club weren't interested?

The stand IS being redeveloped though !

Underneath is going to be completely changed, sadly a case of 2+2=5 here

I know what you're saying but, without giving away my contact as I don't want to get him in any trouble, this company wouldn't just be involved in an internal refit.

Earlier today I was chatting to somebody who works at a senior level at a local company that was heavily involved with the stadium rebuild.

Just in passing I asked whether they were now finished up at the Gate, and he told me that the redevelopment of the Atyeo stand was just about to be signed off and had been kept quiet until all hurdles were overcome, presumably purchasing the houses behind the Atyeo etc.

He's not really a football fan so I don't think it was a wind-up. I know this was discussed on this board heavily over the summer that this might be done at some point, but has anybody else heard that this is actually going ahead? The way he was talking sounded like they could potentially move ahead when the current work is completed in the summer? Surely we don't need more than 27k seats at the moment?

I'd like to see the capacity raised again just to have a bigger ground than Wolves, Forest, and Sheffield united.

I've been told that someone living in one of the houses contacted the club when he recently put the house on the market, but the club weren't interested?

If (big if) Bristol Sport did own some of the houses and were interested in buying the rest, this is the sort of answer I would expect. To publicly indicate it was buying houses would be a disaster, as those who owned the remaining houses could hold the club to ransom when they wanted to sell. 

If (big if) Bristol Sport did own some of the houses and were interested in buying the rest, this is the sort of answer I would expect. To publicly indicate it was buying houses would be a disaster, as those who owned the remaining houses could hold the club to ransom when they wanted to sell. 

Absolutely. I wouldn`t be surprised if any that have come up have been bought by companies not obviously connected to BS and maybe rented out. The one thing you can say is that you hardly ever see a for sale board along there, for a street of 30-40 properties you would expect a fair turnover. Also, a lot have already been converted to flats and we have no idea if they`re rented or leasehold.

If the club have bought houses, wouldn't they let them out adnd make it look like any owners aren't the last owners?

My point exactly. The tenants would never know who the owner is, they`d just pay their rent to an agent. I think the lack of for sale boards is the real clue - anyone selling could be being offered over market price or solicitors fees paid or something provided they don`t say who`s bought the house for all we know. It could be common knowledge along there to go to the club first before putting their houses on the market. Doing that would also save them their estate agents fees in to the bargain. It all adds up to a tidy sum.

Did isn't someone mention ages ago about an alleged plan to remove the roof from the Atyeo amd build an upper tier behind it, should we ever own all the houses? 

Can't see the Atyeo being demolished, but there's no doubting a new build purpose fit stand would be perhaps a more practical solution to the current issues regarding housing away fans than extending the original stand upwards.

edit: regarding the 27k capacity, I have been told (not a reliable Source mind you) that discussions are in place to make the redeveloped ashton gate the permanent home of the England ladies team.

I think any home owner who goes down this route is gambling big. Yes, they may at some stage in the future get a big win fall, but equally, any change of planning rules could see them with a newly developed stadium behind them and a drastically reduced house value.

Met Steve Lansdown at a Q&A and I asked him about his plans for the Atyeo.

He said they plan to demolish it and rebuild the open end, which will be the same height as the houses, but will go all the way back to their garden walls. He said safe standing is inevitable. Only a matter of time. Said he hasn't purchased any houses and doesn't intend to.

If what clerk posted is correct then that makes Hanham Reds information even more interesting, as I also know of the company(not mentioned) and this would make 2+2 definitely add up to 4.

Maybe we don't need the extra seats at the moment, and yes the Atyeo stand is still adequate but if you was a billionaire you wouldn't spend thousands on a new suit and then go out wearing old dirty trainers. Lansdown want's a stadium for us to be proud of after the Ashton Vale Fiasco, imo.

It's all been said before and it's all conjecture.. 

I'd be amazed if they weren't looking to buy the properties as the footprint looks as though it's been designed to sweep around the Atyeo to complete the build.  

It would also make sense to use a third party company to do any deals to prevent any ransom demands by a few remaining parties. There has been rumours that the club/SL/A.N.Other already own a few houses.

I've been told (for what it's worth) that the right to light has been dropped, not sure how it's actually changed though.

There have to be changes to the Atyeo as it moves to away fans only, as the OP's friend is not a football fan and no details of what his company actually do it's all guess work.

With the 'finished' work giving us 27k capacity it's hardly as though we would need to rush the 4th stand build, if it ever happens . It would  probably take the total over 30k, which would be nice but not really needed just yet.

So would you rather have £10m spent on the team or on an Atyeo rebuild to deliver 3000 more seats and a tidier roof line?

Until I see 3000 locked out each week I know what I would choose.

I was told when the first stadium plans were touted around, SL was looking on it as his legacy. I don't really think that money spent off the pitch will impact on the player budget.  

I do agree though, we will have enough empty seats with 27k capacity not to need another 3k or so. Would look 'finished' though.

the next stand to be redeveloped will more likly be the Dolman in 10-12 years time as it is 15 years from the end of its usable life, as are (i suspect) the council blocks behind it.

Amazing how ancient structures like the Pathenon in Rome or St Pauls stand for centuries but modern buildings don't last 60 years

the next stand to be redeveloped will more likly be the Dolman in 10-12 years time as it is 15 years from the end of its usable life, as are (i suspect) the council blocks behind it.

Amazing how ancient structures like the Pathenon in Rome or St Pauls stand for centuries but modern buildings don't last 60 years

Modern buildings are not built to last - you cant get more building money if the building stays up for 2k years.

It makes sense as well - although the Dolman has had a complete refit over the summer it is still not a patch on the south stand - there are loads of compromises (such as the severely restricted view seats and the steps having a railing down the middle) and I would expect that the idea of having such a big new Williams and moving the pitch over is somehow related to having to relocate the fans from the Dolman to rebuild it as something similar.

The Atyeo doesn't need replacing but the ground does look odd with it there - but IMO its the only thing left that that makes it feel like its Bristol City's stadium rather than just another sporting arena.

I was told when the first stadium plans were touted around, SL was looking on it as his legacy. I don't really think that money spent off the pitch will impact on the player budget.  

I do agree though, we will have enough empty seats with 27k capacity not to need another 3k or so. Would look 'finished' though.

The stadium redevelopment is a much about the commercial side as it is providing seats for Bristol City fans.

A fully completed Ashton Gate will increase chances of other games/sports, maybe even international, being held here. With Bristol Sport we are looking beyond just BCFC for revenue.

Landsdown wants a first class arena for the South West to be proud of, so that surely includes maximising all available space, including the Ateyo.

knock the dolman stand down and build one twice the size of the new West Stand. 

After we have bought up Mandela house, obviously. 

The stadium redevelopment is a much about the commercial side as it is providing seats for Bristol City fans.

A fully completed Ashton Gate will increase chances of other games/sports, maybe even international, being held here. With Bristol Sport we are looking beyond just BCFC for revenue.

Landsdown wants a first class arena for the South West to be proud of, so that surely includes maximising all available space, including the Ateyo.

You do realise Bristol Rugby also play there?

It's all been said before and it's all conjecture.. 

I'd be amazed if they weren't looking to buy the properties as the footprint looks as though it's been designed to sweep around the Atyeo to complete the build.  

It would also make sense to use a third party company to do any deals to prevent any ransom demands by a few remaining parties. There has been rumours that the club/SL/A.N.Other already own a few houses.

I've been told (for what it's worth) that the right to light has been dropped, not sure how it's actually changed though.

There have to be changes to the Atyeo as it moves to away fans only, as the OP's friend is not a football fan and no details of what his company actually do it's all guess work.

With the 'finished' work giving us 27k capacity it's hardly as though we would need to rush the 4th stand build, if it ever happens . It would  probably take the total over 30k, which would be nice but not really needed just yet.

There is a very good possibility that this will not occur now.

Archived