IGNORED

Atyeo Stand

HanhamRed

sorry, just that the context of your post that's all. 

No worries, I didn't mention them specifically but just implied it in 'Bristol Sport'. My post was mainly in response to those who seem to think the only reason to have more seats is for City fans, and not about the bigger commercial picture, rugby included.

So would you rather have £10m spent on the team or on an Atyeo rebuild to deliver 3000 more seats and a tidier roof line?

Until I see 3000 locked out each week I know what I would choose.

In fairness, I think with Steve Lansdowne he would be quite prepared to do both, and can afford to do so. 

The Atyeo seems fine to me - can't see the need to ever rebuild that stand, unless we become an established Prem team in the future.

With regards to the original post, this rumour can only refer to an internal refit.  If we were to rebuild the stand, we would require planning permission for starters.

Personally, I think it's poor internally.  It's a mish mash of different levels, there aren't enough 'concessions' and the way in which you access the seats from the concourse is a mess. Even if the houses behind haven't been purchased to allow the stand to be extended, there is certainly a case for raising it to the ground and building a much better version instead, maybe one that adjoins the West Stand. It might not increase the capacity too much, but it would properly modernise the ground and allow it's replacement to compliment the rest of the ground.  I also wonder if the stand could be rebuilt further forward, allowing it to be a bit bigger than the current version.  Hasn't the pitch been shifted towards the South Stand in comparison to before the rebuild?

With regards to the original post, this rumour can only refer to an internal refit.  If we were to rebuild the stand, we would require planning permission for starters.

Personally, I think it's poor internally.  It's a mish mash of different levels, there aren't enough 'concessions' and the way in which you access the seats from the concourse is a mess. Even if the houses behind haven't been purchased to allow the stand to be extended, there is certainly a case for raising it to the ground and building a much better version instead, maybe one that adjoins the West Stand. It might not increase the capacity too much, but it would properly modernise the ground and allow it's replacement to compliment the rest of the ground.  I also wonder if the stand could be rebuilt further forward, allowing it to be a bit bigger than the current version.  Hasn't the pitch been shifted towards the South Stand in comparison to before the rebuild?

I agree with what you say about the internal layout, but I don't think there is much hope of it being demolished and a new stand built. The current legroom is good, so a new stand wouldn't improve this. A new stand would cost several million pounds, and have approx the same capacity, but look better. In comparison, an update of the concourses would be cheap. 

An entertaining read, having only been following this forum the last six months despite being a lifelong city fan. I have already learnt one thing. A rumour has about as much chance of being true around here as Freddie Mercury being alive and well, glass collecting at the miners arms. The ateyo will undergo a certain level of redevelopment and I'm sure there is a plan in the longterm but without facts it's difficult to prove anything. 

Precisely, the only "type" of supporter not catered for in the rebuild are those who like to make an atmosphere.

Takes all types of fans to create a atmosphere. To much emphasis on stands seats rakes etc. The new Ashton gate will be more than good enough to create atmosphere, whatever 'type' of fan u are.

Takes all types of fans to create a atmosphere. To much emphasis on stands seats rakes etc. The new Ashton gate will be more than good enough to create atmosphere, whatever 'type' of fan u are.

out of interest spoons, do you not feel that the allowance of a standing area helps improve atmosphere? Or do you feel that being seated can have the same affect? 

has the ground been built to cater for those who like to make an atmosphere? Yes or no.

The new ground, without catering to groups who like to create an atmosphere will be a morgue. The rest of the ground - bar the Atyeo has been quiet all season.

then again, judging by your posts on the subject I don't think you "get" it.

out of interest spoons, do you not feel that the allowance of a standing area helps improve atmosphere? Or do you feel that being seated can have the same affect? 

I like the idea of rail seating. Watched Dortmund play 2 years ago and that really was a experience of atmosphere. So would prefer that to a standing area for some.

has the ground been built to cater for those who like to make an atmosphere? Yes or no.

The new ground, without catering to groups who like to create an atmosphere will be a morgue. The rest of the ground - bar the Atyeo has been quiet all season.

then again, judging by your posts on the subject I don't think you "get" it.

I do get it, I get it more than most. The new ground will be suitable for those who want to create atmosphere. The new west stand will help keep atmosphere in, and let's just see what happens next season. I've got a feeling the club will stick with away fans only in Atyeo and in my opinion blocks a,b of the dolman would be a good location for Atyeo boys/girls.

believe me when it comes to watching games of football and atmosphere's I would say I'm a pretty good judge. Lets just say I've been to a few games / stadiums in the world. And I go back to the same point, treat everybody the same. No need to pander to any group. Forcing singing area's doesn't work. Is it a catalyst to get atmosphere started no. What happens at England games is 'singing ' areas get abused as people who buy tickets there do so because it is the cheapest section, not because they want to create atmosphere.

I do get it, I get it more than most. The new ground will be suitable for those who want to create atmosphere. The new west stand will help keep atmosphere in, and let's just see what happens next season. I've got a feeling the club will stick with away fans only in Atyeo and in my opinion blocks a,b of the dolman would be a good location for Atyeo boys/girls.

believe me when it comes to watching games of football and atmosphere's I would say I'm a pretty good judge. Lets just say I've been to a few games / stadiums in the world. And I go back to the same point, treat everybody the same. No need to pander to any group. Forcing singing area's doesn't work. Is it a catalyst to get atmosphere started no. What happens at England games is 'singing ' areas get abused as people who buy tickets there do so because it is the cheapest section, not because they want to create atmosphere.

I'm sure we have the same debate almost weekly, and I remember after forest you acknowledging the impact the Atyeo area had as a catalyst for atmosphere in the rest of the ground.

"treat everybody the same, no need to pander to any group" - well the club has 'pandered' to just about every 'group' in the rebuild apart from singers. How does that even work? No disabled areas, no community corner, no directors box? What are you actually trying to say?

You've mentioned the England games many times and it's flawed. It's just one example. Take Liverpool, would it be a better or worse atmosphere without the kop? I'd bet almost every Liverpool fan would say worse.

I sit in the Dolman and in my block only about 8 people sing. Does that make me want to join in? No! If the majority of people there were singing I definitely would. The whole ground would be like that if the Atyeo didn't exist, singers isolated.

I don't like the idea of cheaper tickets in the Atyeo for the point you mentioned and as it becomes a stick to score points against EE/Atyeo people.

Reading between the lines, it just feels like you are "anti" that group more than anything. Is this the case?

I sit in the Dolman and in my block only about 8 people sing. Does that make me want to join in? No! If the majority of people there were singing I definitely would. The whole ground would be like that if the Atyeo didn't exist, singers isolated.

Join in then. If, as you say, only 8 people sing in your block, if you joined in, theres 9, then the person sat behind you might join in, then the one next to him and behind him. See where this is going?

You, as we all are, seem to keen to have a ground with an atmosphere coming from all 4 sides(3 at present), but by your own admission, don't join in with a few that are trying. When the Dolman gets going it can be pretty good, but nothing will change if people like yourself, who crave an atmosphere, don't join in with the few who are trying.

The lads and lasses in the Atyeo do a fine job under difficult cirmucstances (no Williams stand for a start) and are furthest away from the Dolman. It's up to those Dolmanites who want the ground to be a cauldron of noise, to be the catalyst.

Join in then. If, as you say, only 8 people sing in your block, if you joined in, theres 9, then the person sat behind you might join in, then the one next to him and behind him. See where this is going?

You, as we all are, seem to keen to have a ground with an atmosphere coming from all 4 sides(3 at present), but by your own admission, don't join in with a few that are trying. When the Dolman gets going it can be pretty good, but nothing will change if people like yourself, who crave an atmosphere, don't join in with the few who are trying.

The lads and lasses in the Atyeo do a fine job under difficult cirmucstances (no Williams stand for a start) and are furthest away from the Dolman. It's up to those Dolmanites who want the ground to be a cauldron of noise, to be the catalyst.

Agree, you're right. I was making the point really so Spoons could see the atmosphere is appreciated by others, not just those in the Atyro.

What is the rake in the Dolman? Instead of an end, could the Dolman be the new home of atmosphere at the Gate. Start off with Blocks A and B as standing and flags liberal and if more interest comes, move down towards the SS. Many Dolamanites will move to the new Williams anyway. Put the Eastenders in the East stand?

I took Joe to Old Trafford the season before last (2-2 v Fulham, Bent with a last minute equaliser....get in!), and the atmosphere was weird.

It was as if they had a song sheet and timings for when to sing, e.g. 1st minute Glory Glory Man United, 8th minute John Denver.....etc etc. Very choreographed.

it really detracted from the match, and the spontaneity that goes with it.

I took Joe to Old Trafford the season before last (2-2 v Fulham, Bent with a last minute equaliser....get in!), and the atmosphere was weird.

It was as if they had a song sheet and timings for when to sing, e.g. 1st minute Glory Glory Man United, 8th minute John Denver.....etc etc. Very choreographed.

it really detracted from the match, and the spontaneity that goes with it.

I don`t think any of us would be surprised if that did turn out to be the case - does `applaud now` come up on the big screen intermittently.

What is the rake in the Dolman? Instead of an end, could the Dolman be the new home of atmosphere at the Gate. Start off with Blocks A and B as standing and flags liberal and if more interest comes, move down towards the SS. Many Dolamanites will move to the new Williams anyway. Put the Eastenders in the East stand?

Genuine question, if people stood in block B, would this not obscure the view of people who pay a premium to sit in Block C?

How did it work in the Williams?

Genuine question, if people stood in block B, would this not obscure the view of people who pay a premium to sit in Block C?

How did it work in the Williams?

Next season the Dolman will be the oldest (assuming the Atyeo is away fans) of the stands in the home end. The premium seats in the Williams, the cheap seats in the South Stand and the volume, flags and colour in the Dolman. It will only take a disclaimer that those in Block C will have a restricted view, but will be cheaper than the same view from the Williams.

Next season the Dolman will be the oldest (assuming the Atyeo is away fans) of the stands in the home end. The premium seats in the Williams, the cheap seats in the South Stand and the volume, flags and colour in the Dolman. It will only take a disclaimer that those in Block C will have a restricted view, but will be cheaper than the same view from the Williams.

Not sure the age of the stand is that relevant, but a reduction in price would of course be welcome.

Are you suggesting that Blocks A and B carry the premium that C and D have previously paid so that revenue is the same?

Not sure the age of the stand is that relevant, but a reduction in price would of course be welcome.

Are you suggesting that Blocks A and B carry the premium that C and D have previously paid so that revenue is the same?

Well those who pay that premium in the Dolman now would be encouraged to the Williams and pay it there, however the Dolman should not be as cheap as the SS and should be for the people who want to make a noise and not just for cheaper seats.

This sound good until you get to the detail. There is no indication that many Dolmanites will move to the Williams , so putting those who want to stand in blocks A & B would just mean those who currently sit there would have to move. Then "if more interest comes" those in block C would have to move. The fundamental problem is standing and sitting does not mix unless the standing is at the back. If there was standing in Blocks A & B, and the play was in the Atyeo corner, block C would have to stand to see. Then block D etc. 

I beleive the best solution is to let those who want to stand have the entire Atyeo and put away fans in the upper tier of the Williams. (The upper tier won't be needed for home supporters unless we get gates in excess of 20k. 

Well those who pay that premium in the Dolman now would be encouraged to the Williams and pay it there, however the Dolman should not be as cheap as the SS and should be for the people who want to make a noise and not just for cheaper seats.

Any thoughts on how you differentiate between those choosing an area for economic or atmospheric reasons?

Or would you have the 'better value' (if there is such a thing watching football these days) in the SS?

This sound good until you get to the detail. There is no indication that many Dolmanites will move to the Williams , so putting those who want to stand in blocks A & B would just mean those who currently sit there would have to move. Then "if more interest comes" those in block C would have to move. The fundamental problem is standing and sitting does not mix unless the standing is at the back. If there was standing in Blocks A & B, and the play was in the Atyeo corner, block C would have to stand to see. Then block D etc. 

I beleive the best solution is to let those who want to stand have the entire Atyeo and put away fans in the upper tier of the Williams. (The upper tier won't be needed for home supporters unless we get gates in excess of 20k. 

But depending on how the internals of the Williams are configured, this might not be possible.

Was there an indication that those in the Atyeo wanted to move this season? Perhaps allocate the top or bottom tier of the Dolman for standing instead of just starting left to right. I don't like the idea of using the top tier of the Williams for away or home (unless we need it) as it would spread the fans out like Coventry and if you paid top dollar for a box, would you like several thousand leeds fans abusing you from above?

Any thoughts on how you differentiate between those choosing an area for economic or atmospheric reasons?

Or would you have the 'better value' (if there is such a thing watching football these days) in the SS?

I think I said the SS would be cheapest. 

the rake of the dolman is deemed too steep to allow a relaxed attitude to standing. 

Most of the south stand will be moving to the Williams next year so IMO the singers should go where they always were - the EE of the SS - move the kids to the other corner currently occupied by the posh seats (that will be moving) and then everyone's where they should be. As a current member of the SS I think the acoustics in there would suit the EEers, its certainly a lot better than the Atyeo for acoustics and to hell with H&S saying you cant stand (although it's easy for me to say that) there is more room in the SS per seat than the Atyeo so should be safer to jump around IMO.

Unless what you really want is to be able to be next to the away fans and flick them Vs at will (which i can understand, they deserve it for not supporting city if nothing else) but that wasn't what the EE or singing area is supposed to be about (those lot can go in the Dolman or Williams), but I respect there were grumblings last year when the singers were not placed next to the away fans because of the back and fourth that can create.

I think the EEers would like it in the SS and for those that haven't tried it I think the club should offer Atyeo ST holders the chance to try it at no additional cost for some lower profile games (although not in kiddy corner).

I think the cost thing is irrelevant and no one should get a discount or be charged more because they want to sing or not although I think maybe paying more to go in a singing section might be a good idea if it led to ring fencing the extra money for banners/flags ect but I much prefer the current fan led approach.

Archived