IGNORED

Clueless

Nomad

41 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Oh my goodness the lack of summer transfers, give it a rest and move on. Cotts wasn't happy, I'm not happy, nor my Dad but nothing we can do now. 

Sorry I just can't let it go. The sheer incompetence of the summer grates me like nothing ever has before, in all my years following City. 

I genuinely mean that. We should have been in such a good position to kick on and progress, and we blew it.

If me.or you made a balls up like that in our day to day jobs, we would be sacked 

I watched enough games now and it's plain to see we have too many players that yo-yo in form.

Wilbraham - gets a few goals and disappears for a game.

Flint - Can be a rock one game and then totally flat footed and clueless the next.

Freeman - Goes from creative genius to head down headless wild tackling chicken

And to be honest you can add Ayling, Fielding, Williams and Bryan to that list.

Why is this happening to so many? This lack of consistency stinks of either players punching above the weight? 

They've had time to settle. Now that they are I think it's clear we are devoid of championship standard players. Korey, Kodjia, Baker and Bennett are up to scratch. Pack has come on a bit and is ok but probably not a starting 46 matches good. Same for Flint. Ayling and Derrick are right on the cusp as well being right on the line of great L1 player and average championship player.

Look at most other teams and they have prem quality at multiple positions and above average championship players at most. Fulham today were so much more talented today and that's where we failed this summer. We needed more championship quality infused with our young core to get the most out of them. We didn't and now we have to hope there are 3 teams worse than us. It's possible but we need to start fighting for points. Think 2 losses before the break and Cotterhill has to go. When his style is working it is top notch but today the other team played the same style 1000x better and they don't normally. Showing that other managers can be flexible while ours is stubborn and that is a major flaw. If our main goal is to continue growing and you can't do that going down, then you can't afford to be too patient. Very thin margins right now. Any changes and moves could make the difference. 

Probably stating the obvious, but we are not taking chances, and struggle to defend. We are far too predictable, the opposition know exactly how we will play, and that they can exploit space behind wing backs. Admittedly we don't have much of a squad, but we don't seem to change anything, or make the most of what we have. Wilbs has something to offer the squad, but we have Agard, Cox (Looks a tad chunky!) and Burns who can all offer something different, and give opposition defences a new challenge. A settled side is fine when winning. 

Only other thought is whether we have enough quality to be so positive. 

14 minutes ago, Reddie The Eagle Edwards said:

We probably have two or three players that look good enough for the championship, which seems to be so much stronger a division than last time around! Ok im trying to think of the third player...

Your'e right- certainly Kodjia's not Championship material or Baker but I kinda think that Fielding is as is Bennet  as is Smith as is Ayling as is Wilbraham as is Williams as is Bryan as is Freeman as is Reid. And considering Pack is only good enough for L2- he's looking ok.

Last time out we out played Cardiff but I guess they don't have any more than 2 or 3 Championship standard players either.

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

Oh my goodness the lack of summer transfers, give it a rest and move on. Cotts wasn't happy, I'm not happy, nor my Dad but nothing we can do now. 

It's relevant to our current situation though isn't it, arguably it's the main reason we have been naive and at times poor this season. Some promising play but without the nouse, ruthlessness or experience to get results. Whoever is responsible for this summer has a big part in our current form. Had we recruited well, given the quality of our ONE permanent signing, who knows where we would be?

This summers recruitment was negligent and has put is in a very precarious situation with over reliance on loans.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Your'e right- certainly Kodjia's not Championship material or Baker but I kinda think that Fielding is as is Bennet  as is Smith as is Ayling as is Wilbraham as is Williams as is Bryan as is Freeman as is Reid. And considering Pack is only good enough for L2- he's looking ok.

Last time out we out played Cardiff but I guess they don't have any more than 2 or 3 Championship standard players either.

We did outplay Cardiff and drew 0-0

Fulham outplayed us , with some bonus assistance from us and beat us 4-0 and merely conserved energy in second half 

Not a good sign

50 minutes ago, Nomad said:

One big difference from Monday to today is that Cardiff have a champ standard keeper. Frankie IMHO is just nowhere near champ standard (actually did not think he was that great in L1 - he just didn't have much to do last year as the rest of the team were so good compared to the opposition).

Which is why he was named best goalkeeper in the league based on views of players that played against him? Did you walk out of the Forest game berating him after he kept us in the lead with that unbelievable save from the corner? 

Have to be careful what you want, FF is much better than people give him credit for. We saw that when Hamer came in and had an absolute horror show from start to finish in every game he played in (excl Boro). 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We did outplay Cardiff and drew 0-0

Fulham outplayed us , with some bonus assistance from us and beat us 4-0 and merely conserved energy in second half 

Not a good sign

Were you there, Bob?

I really don't think that they outplayed us- they outscored us. It was so similar to the Burnley match the difference being that Fulham had more shots on target. Every single one went in partially thanks to an appalling display by Flint who needs to either rediscover his mojo or be benched until he does.

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Which is why he was named best goalkeeper in the league based on views of players that played against him? Did you walk out of the Forest game berating him after he kept us in the lead with that unbelievable save from the corner? 

Have to be careful what you want, FF is much better than people give him credit for. We saw that when Hamer came in and had an absolute horror show from start to finish in every game he played in (excl Boro). 

Unbelievable save is a bit generous

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The save against Forest was one for the camera's (and yes I was there).

If you rate him then good for you but you must be watching a different game every week to me. Take a look at the goals he concedes - generally he doesn't get anything on the ball let alone a strong hand of his body. It's a NO from me - we need better - a damn sight better.

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I was berating the defence for allowing another free header similar to the goals conceded against Burnley. However if FF was such a great keeper maybe he would be coming out for some of these crosses, bossing his box and settling the defence. But no - our defence have no confidence in him (and nor do I).

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Were you there, Bob?

I really don't think that they outplayed us- they outscored us. It was so similar to the Burnley match the difference being that Fulham had more shots on target. Every single one went in partially thanks to an appalling display by Flint who needs to either rediscover his mojo or be benched until he does.

Was I where oh sarcastic super fan ??

Oh the answers Yes by the way

Only 1083 City games on my journey - what number do I need to hit to become the super uber fan you portray yourself as ????

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Only 1083 City games on my journey - what number do I need to hit to become the super uber fan you portray yourself as ????

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You count your games?

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

One thing that strikes me as surprising as well. Cotts puts so much faith in Wilbs, today was a perfect opportunity to rest him up for 45 minutes.

The game was done, so give Wilbs a res for 45 minutes and get some game time into the legs of Cox or Agard.

Too simple?

Correct.

The fact that the manager sent the same XI out after that first 45 says to me that he doesn't rate anyone else and is devoid of ideas.

In his 21 minutes on the field, Cox turned and shot just over the bar and assisted a goal. more than Wilbs did in 82 minutes.

Too many players struggling at this level. Everything has to click for performances like Cardiff, Forest. If a few below par we get today. Also Joe Byran showed potential to be a success at this level. Clearly he's struggling but so are the rest of the defence. If he had two/three experienced championship players to guide/ help him settle in I'm sure he would be firing, but the other players are too busy worrying about their own game to be able to help.

I don't feel quite so lonely on the forum this evening

More fans are coming round to the view that our primary problem is the manager

However as a fan base we seem divided starkly into two groups

One, those who believe a change of manager is inevitable; some of whom think his time is up others who want to wait till Christmas

Two, those who believe the manager can turn it round; some of whom also believe he is owed something for last season

The interesting question is in which direction the balance will tip. On current trends it is shifting towards the first group

I think SC and his players from last season deserved the right to play at the start of the season.  After a much documented disastrous summer, we were not able to strengthen in the way we would have liked.  Therefore we had little choice, which is thoroughly frustrating. 

All last seasons charity is about over.  I do believe we have players from last season that are capable of playing at this level, however they are not.  This has to change.

SC is certainly pig headed on his tactics and formation.  His unwillingness to move to a new direction when things are clearly not working, will undoubtedly be his downfall.  Even when down 4-nil, nothing much changes.

Good teams that are mobile, retain possession and are great passers, can play 3-5-2. Last season in L1 we could play this way.  The Championship is a different animal.  We are too easily undone by sides playing this system in this league.  This affects confidence. I was hoping SC might have a bit more guile and tenacity, and change things up.  I think we are under prepared going into games sticking with 3-5-2 and we appear to be bullish.  We must scout opposition teams, so it must be in the execution of SC's plans that we regularly fail at.  We look setup to fail and it must be frustrating for the players not too mention their confidence.

You cant go into every game in the Championship playing 3-5-2, that is about as naive as our summer transfer fiasco's. If we continue down this road we will get what we deserve as we have up until now.

Stevo

58 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

One, those who believe a change of manager is inevitable; some of whom think his time is up others who want to wait till Christmas

Two, those who believe the manager can turn it round; some of whom also believe he is owed something for last season

The interesting question is in which direction the balance will tip. On current trends it is shifting towards the first group

A change of manager IS inevitable, Cotterill won't be here forever, that's a given.

Alan Dicks was the manager when I first strolled into Ashton Gate, plenty have used his chair since then.

I take it from your post you would like a change sooner rather than later? I'll ask 2 questions..

When would you make the change?

Who are you thinking of as a potential replacement?

12 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yep it wasn't good at all today and shocked he didn't bring cox on at half time to give him some reasonable game time, could have given Bobby 45 mins also.

however some very senior players let him down today. Flint awful again, freeman couldn't control the ball, Bryan was destroyed by Fredricks and wilbraham non existent. Only player who comes away with any credit is Kodjia again.

how could we be that bad after monday

Because Cardiff are set up as a defensive unit....

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Impressive.

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Of course he is owed something for last season. The whole discussion is a nonsense. I fully expect City to continue to improve in albeit incremental amounts. Expectation levels from me at least are different from those at the start of the season for all of the obvious reasons. It really is a non subject. Let the guy do his job... But hysteria and football go hand in hand these days its utterly ridiculous.. There is no easy sack him and replace him formula.  Real shame the vociferous minority love to jump on the media band wagon; it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It is what i despise about the modern game; we get what we reap.

13 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I watched enough games now and it's plain to see we have too many players that yo-yo in form.

Wilbraham - gets a few goals and disappears for a game.

Flint - Can be a rock one game and then totally flat footed and clueless the next.

Freeman - Goes from creative genius to head down headless wild tackling chicken

And to be honest you can add Ayling, Fielding, Williams and Bryan to that list.

Why is this happening to so many? This lack of consistency stinks of either players punching above the weight? 

So whats the outcome on wilbrahams heading stats this time after his surprising success rate at Cardiff ?

I'm so keen to find out I could hardly sleep last night !!

Archived