IGNORED

IS FLINT FIT FOR PURPOSE?

Bantry Banter

It could be that he needs to be rested for a few games but that is unlikely unless we go to a flat back four, then we could use Baker (when fit) and Liam Moore for instance. He's hit a rough patch of form but no worse than most of the others, could do with a break though to recharge the batteries.

4 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

Its not his fault

His speed is not there

He is a great player

But needs somebody big and strong to take the pressure off him

I feel sorry for him having to carry the other defenders

He does make some easy mistakes

But I think to much is put on him    

Your posts read like a haiku

4 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

Its not his fault

His speed is not there

He is a great player

But needs somebody big and strong to take the pressure off him

I feel sorry for him having to carry the other defenders

He does make some easy mistakes

But I think to much is put on him    

Great?

He had a poor game yesterday and an awful ball from him led directly to their second goal, but let's not forget he has actually been pretty decent for most games this season. Been the last line of defence after attacks have bypassed Ayling and Williams. Until Baker's arrival, I'd actually say he had been the defender who has coped with the step up in quality the best.

Cotts had told them to play the ball around to retain possession better. Unfortunately - as we saw during O'Driscoll's reign - we don't have the players to do that. Pass the ball around between three defenders just in front of our box and eventually someone makes a mistake and we're shafted.

I know it works for Barcelona et al, but with the players we have the best option is to get it up the field sharpish.

Even the best defender in the world would struggle if he was defending on his own all game like he was yesterday.

Yeah he gave it away for the second but that was because Cotterill told him to pass it inside only 30 seconds before. Obviously it's Flint's fault for not looking properly but it's a ridiculous instruction to give a player like Aden Flint.

he had awful game yesterday ( well the 36 minutes I watched before walking out) but he's not had a great start to season but it's no worse or better than any of the back 5. All shot on confidence. Flint will come good, he has to. Could do with him scoring a few as well! Personally would go to a back four and partner flint with baker. Feel baker could take all pressure of flint.

I don't think it is a co-incidence that Baker finding his feet has led to improved defensive displays. Yesterday showed that we need him fit and in the side ASAP. What we don't pick up from the stands is the communication (or lack of it) and there was certainly no evidence of any talking going on yesterday. Flint had been looking decent recently with Baker alongside him. The Goalkeeper and back three (less so Williams tbf) were shambolic yesterday. Add to that Bryan and Freeman going AWOL in midfield plus Wilbraham playing in lead boots up top and we were always going to get smashed !!

Sort the GK position out one way or another by January, keep Baker fit and play four at the back against the better sides (at home in particular looking at the evidence so far) and we should be ok this season.....just about.

In a weird way I think the part he played for the second goal was probably the most forgivable, it's not something I can really remember him doing all season. Although it was poor and his defending afterwards was poor pretty much running in circles.

When watching live I was screaming for flint to go to the man, instead he just gave him free reign to carry the ball then have all the time in the world to pick out his cross, whilst flint just marked space that the ball went nowhere near. Ayling was well beaten and flint had to cover.

The third goal in the lead up to the free kick flint again was just backing off so another player had to take one for the team and commit a foul. 

When we play this formation then players will get isolated on occasions, unfortunately a lot of the time flint doesn't adequately cover. Someone earlier said that flint carries other players, I would say it's closer to the opposite. 

Now that flint has stopped scoring and he is constantly making mistakes at the back, I find out difficult to justify him keeping his place. Especially when there are few teams that resort to long balls at this level.

Williams was deservedly dropped earlier on and he has come back and played at a much better standard, the same could happen for flint.

2 minutes ago, kit said:

In a weird way I think the part he played for the second goal was probably the most forgivable, it's not something I can really remember him doing all season. Although it was poor and his defending afterwards was poor pretty much running in circles.

When watching live I was screaming for flint to go to the man, instead he just gave him free reign to carry the ball then have all the time in the world to pick out his cross, whilst flint just marked space that the ball went nowhere near. Ayling was well beaten and flint had to cover.

The third goal in the lead up to the free kick flint again was just backing off so another player had to take one for the team and commit a foul. 

When we play this formation then players will get isolated on occasions, unfortunately a lot of the time flint doesn't adequately cover. Someone earlier said that flint carries other players, I would say it's closer to the opposite. 

Now that flint has stopped scoring and he is constantly making mistakes at the back, I find out difficult to justify him keeping his place. Especially when there are few teams that resort to long balls at this level.

Williams was deservedly dropped earlier on and he has come back and played at a much better standard, the same could happen for flint.

Freeman giving the ball away in and advanced position and having to take one for the team to make up for his own error as they broke quickly on us (a recurring theme) was the first mistake in the third goal. Although you cannot legislate for the "attempt" that our keeper made to save it.

The question should be is Wilbrahams "fit for purpose?" 

Anyway.......Flint is a typical "head it and kick it" merchant seen in almost every lower league team. Tall and powerful but limited in real ability. He's not gifted enough to bring the ball our of defence like some defenders can and he's been struggling all season in the Championdhip.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Freeman giving the ball away in and advanced position and having to take one for the team to make up for his own error as they broke quickly on us (a recurring theme) was the first mistake in the third goal. Although you cannot legislate for the "attempt" that our keeper made to save it.

I don't disagree with either of those points either. My point was more the fact that flint had a part to play on all those goals. Not saying he was solely to blame.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyway.......Flint is a typical "head it and kick it" merchant seen in almost every lower league team. Tall and powerful but limited in real ability. He's not gifted enough to bring the ball our of defence like some defenders can and he's been struggling all season in the Championdhip.

Brings back memories of 'Boom Boom' Jamie McCombe. Was great for us in Div one but never really made the step up to the championship.

7 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Brings back memories of 'Boom Boom' Jamie McCombe. Was great for us in Div one but never really made the step up to the championship.

Very good good comparison.

Both top blokes off the pitch but found out at Championship level on the pitch.

Fit for purpose ? .... Blimey, thought I'd logged onto the Watchdog page for a moment there... 

Has OTIB become a Trading Standards site?..

Fit For Purpose - perfectly suitable and ap when testing High St goods and cheap online tat.... but as an expression of assessment of a human beings abilities I just think its inappropriate disrespectful and simply not Fit For Purpose. 

I agree with @Gilts - been average this season overall. Had some decent games and some poor games.

Ive said before, I'd like to see him be a big, ugly (sorry @Dollymarie) centre half again.  Let Dembele know he's there early on.

Bit like when Baker plays well, the back line play well, Flint is the same.

Lets see which Aden Flint performs on Tuesday v Wolves.  He could do with getting one at the other end too.

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Fit for purpose ? .... Blimey, thought I'd logged onto the Watchdog page for a moment there... 

Has OTIB become a Trading Standards site?..

Fit For Purpose - perfectly suitable and ap when testing High St goods and cheap online tat.... but as an expression of assessment of a human beings abilities I just think its inappropriate disrespectful and simply not Fit For Purpose. 

Way too much BS being spoken on here at the moment tbh.

Are we fit for purpose? Can Freeman sort it out by close of play? Where's the joined up thinking? Can't Frank just pick it up and run with it? Has anyone got a helicopter view of the situation Flint finds himself in? Where's the blue sky thinking? What is our USP? Can't we broaden the skills matrix?

Just some of the questions that this new type of football fan we have following us demand an answer to !!!

It's football we are debating ffs.

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's McCombe all over again . Still if we go down we have him for four years !

You could put a Premiership player in his position yesterday and he would look bad. As corporal Jones from Dad's Army used to say " They don't like it up um". In football terms, defenders don't like the opposition running at them, when there are more attackers than defenders. He was let down by the midfield and the Kamikaze defending by the other back three. 

A little thinking out of the box is required

We could do worse if the manager persists with his near suicidal tactics to sub Flint for Wilbraham . Older supporters will remember another floodlit match when Tommy Burden was moved up to what we now describe as as striker role.

And then play Moore alongside Baker ( if fit).

Disagree with everyone. Aside from the odd mistake we have a centre-half with tremendous ariel ability and can soak up their attaching play instantly. Go onto other forums and see what they make of him, I have seen threads literally just about Flint and what a man mountain he is. That is why is in the middle of the back 3, so soak up all the heading as best as he can, and personally he has done a fantastic job this season (fyi we are top in ariel duels won in the Championship) Put him in a more direct side with solid defending (a Stoke 2010 type side) and he would flourish.

Excellent against Cardiff and Forest, he was okay yesterday apart from the obvious error. I think having Baker alongside him helps, he doesn't need to be first to attack every ball and it takes the pressure off of his distribution. I think he has played better this season than in his first season for us at League 1 level, but hey he's another target for people to aim at I suppose.

16 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Flint has lost his spark.  Not really setting the world on fire this season.  i will get my coat

No he hasn't "lost his spark" at all. He's playing at a higher level this season and is finding the step up in quality a very tough ask. 

Archived