IGNORED

Atmosphere last night

Super

40 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Why is the Wedlock name been dropped? Has it something to do with Bristol Sports marketing calling it the South stand? It is really starting to annoy me calling it South stand. 

Agreed. The club don't deem it important enough to talk about. History swept under the carpet as far as I'm concerned. 

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Agreed. The club don't deem it important enough to talk about. History swept under the carpet as far as I'm concerned. 

They're already starting to call The Williams the west stand!  Where is this going to end?

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

Why is the Wedlock name been dropped? Has it something to do with Bristol Sports marketing calling it the South stand? It is really starting to annoy me calling it South stand. 

To me it's like the name of the stadium and if stand by stand somebody wants to increase our revenue stream by having their name on it then i'm all for it.

Fans can still call it Ashton Gate, the east end, the Wedlock, the Atyeo, the Dolman or the Williams.

5 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Have to agree, that was as loud as I've heard it in a while on the radio last night

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Thankfully I chose to listen to Gloucester - Worcester on Saturday! But last night sounded good

You do realise there is a volume control on most radios?

I switched the Archers on the other day and it nearly blew me across the room.

33 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

To me it's like the name of the stadium and if stand by stand somebody wants to increase our revenue stream by having their name on it then i'm all for it.

Fans can still call it Ashton Gate, the east end, the Wedlock, the Atyeo, the Dolman or the Williams.

Don't entirely agree with you. The Wedlock stand was named after a former player, this has been dropped over profit. It's about history and I would have been happy with them calling it the Wedlock South Stand if they feel they need to market it like that. They should have a big sign up outside the entrance to the stand saying Welcome to the Wedlock South Stand. I have noticed a lot of people calling it the south stand and not the wedlock or the east end. 

Imagine the outrage if the Atyeo name was dropped just for marketing. We moaned alot about cardiff losing their heritage but when it comes to us it is okay?

2 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Don't entirely agree with you. The Wedlock stand was named after a former player, this has been dropped over profit. It's about history and I'd have been happy with them calling it the Wedlock South Stand if they feel they need to market it like that. They should have a big sign up outside the entrance to the stand saying Welcome to the Wedlock South Stand. I have noticed a lot of people calling it the south stand and not the wedlock or the east end. 

Imagine the outrage if the Atyeo name was dropped just for marketing. We moaned alot about cardiff losing their heritage but when it comes to us it is okay?

I hadn't really thought about this, I realise I just call it the South Stand now. I haven't called it the wedlock once. For me, the wedlock died when the old EE came down and was replaced with the boring stand that's there now. Would be nice to have a nod to its previous name though.

1 minute ago, Threshing Red said:

Don't entirely agree with you. The Wedlock stand was named after a former player, this has been dropped over profit. It's about history and I'd have been happy with them calling it the Wedlock South Stand if they feel they need to market it like that. They should have a big sign up outside the entrance to the stand saying Welcome to the Wedlock South Stand. I have noticed a lot of people calling it the south stand and not the wedlock or the east end. 

Sadly it's very expensive to run a football club, at our level and level that we aspire to, it's life.

Also John Atyeo is soon to have a statue in his honour, I believe that a more lasting memorial is the way forward for Dolman, Williams and Wedlock, that is my opinion, come on the Cardiff analogy isn't anywhere the same is it?, shirt colour change or club name change would be my line in the sand.

39 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Only thing left will be the club name. With a hunger for even more revenue streams it's the only logical next step. 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Only thing left will be the club name. With a hunger for even more revenue streams it's the only logical next step. 

As I said as long as we stay as Bristol City and play in red and white, anything else is pretty much up for grabs for me, that's just my opinion, I will still call it Ashton Gate, the East end, the Dolman Stand, the Atyeo stand and the Williams stand.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly it's very expensive to run a football club, at our level and level that we aspire to, it's life.

Also John Atyeo is soon to have a statue in his honour, I believe that a more lasting memorial is the way forward for Dolman, Williams and Wedlock, that is my opinion, come on the Cardiff analogy isn't anywhere the same is it?, shirt colour change or club name change would be my line in the sand.

Okay fair enough. But passively changing the name of a stand without saying anything to the fans is my line in the sand. I find it a lack of respect that they didn't come out and say all respect to the man himself Billy Wedlock but we need to change the name of the stand for the future. Really I think the name should be The Wedlock South Stand. Also I might add what is profitable about naming it the south stand? Sounds a bit bland. 

10 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Okay fair enough. But passively changing the name of a stand without saying anything to the fans is my line in the sand. I find it a lack of respect that they didn't come out and say all respect to the man himself Billy Wedlock but we need to change the name of the stand for the future. Really I think the name should be The Wedlock South Stand. Also I might add what is profitable about naming it the south stand? Sounds a bit bland. 

Do you think it will remain purely the south stand?

3 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I understand that the naming rights will be sold. I find it a shame that football is going this way, it is all about the marginal profit at the cost of tradition, honour and identity. 

Nothing to do with profit these days i'm afraid it's all about balancing the books and that should be every clubs primary concern, just ask Northampton's fans.

Missing out on any potential money into the coffers is criminal in my view, of course we could ask players to donate some of their huge wage packets to nullify the need?.

31 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

An explanation was provided to fans at a Q&A. It was described as logistical e.g Used on planning applications, 

10 hours ago, bcfctim said:

Think once everything's all settled down after the rebuild the South Stand could make a really good location for a 'singing section' or whatever. The acoustics in there are excellent: on the few occasions it has got going it's really echoed around and made an impressive noise

Have to agree. I am in the Atyeo and from time to time the sound from there seems pretty loud. Whereas when I was in the East End we never heard a peep from the Atyeo even though you could see sometimes they were singing by the synchonised clapping etc. Factor in that a lot of the old Williams stand supporters are in there, who weren't reknowned for their vocals and the prospect does look good if lots of like minded 'singers' went in there. Would have to unreserved seating though me thinks.

8 hours ago, WTMS said:

An explanation was provided to fans at a Q&A. It was described as logistical e.g Used on planning applications, 

16 minutes ago, gl1 said:

No, the highest bidder will be able to insert their name before 'South Stand'

So it will end up the Timotei South Stand or something...

So it's not about planning or logistics  it was a halfway house to avoid criticism with a big bang name change from Wedlock to "SellYourSoul.com South Stand" 

I doubt they'll feel the need to rename The Kop for logistical reasons when that undergoes redevelopment again. 

49 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

So it's not about planning or logistics  it was a halfway house to avoid criticism with a big bang name change from Wedlock to "SellYourSoul.com South Stand" 

I doubt they'll feel the need to rename The Kop for logistical reasons when that undergoes redevelopment again. 

Logistics was the reason provided.The design and lack of unreserved seating was more topical at Q&A's. 

PF makes this point.in this thread:

Maybe one of the reasons fans here have accepted the status quo so easily, is because the South stand is not an attempt to mirror aspects of its predecessor.

At Liverpool there were plans to replace the Kop, with a 18000 capacity stand called the Kop. One cursory look at the Kop plans reveal a design that was obviously a Kop like replacement and a iconic focus point for the ground.

Maybe controversial but even in the good old days of standing , City fans rarely made a lot of noise all through the match .

It always started with a bit of singing but unless something dramatic ocurred this normally petered out to be replaced by polite clapping as a pass was executed  etc .

i believe that West Country folk are  naturally more reserved than those from London or Oop Nirth .

I don't mind stands being sponsored as long as there is a proper name as well. The Atyeo has had various sponsors (Carling, Blackthorn etc) but the Atyeo name is what everyone uses. I'd like the Wedlock name to be retained for the South Stand seeing as he was such an important player in City's early years. It would also be a kick in the teeth for his descendants if the name is dropped. Ditto the with the Williams name. I'm aware that Bristol RFC now share Ashton Gate with us and will want their history to be reflected as well, but I'm sure a solution can be found for this.

It would be horrible if the stands only had a corporate name. Also the ground should never be called anything other than Ashton Gate.

Archived