IGNORED

Last night Only Spoilt by one thing

Between heaven and hell

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Redcliffe roundabout has been looked at for years but no solution seems possible. The zebra crossing obviously needs to be there for commuters going from the centre back to BTM and there simply isn't space for an under or overpass.

That route wasn't intended for heavy traffic but of course the reality is people (me included) use it as a rat run to avoid the traffic on Temple Way and around BTM.

So put back the Flyover..!

Always come to the gate on my motorcycle from Wiltshire whatever the weather and on a Tuesday night game it's easy because i work in Bath.

Tuesday i had been on a training course and it was the first time ever that i had come from home.

The traffic was queuing for about 4 miles just to get on the M32. Half an hour to get down the M32 on a motorcycle riding between the traffic it was just insane. Left home at 5.55pm to get to the gate at 7.30pm

1 hour 35 minutes to do 36 miles is crazy on a motorcycle. Incidently Rode out of Ashton Gate At 9.45pm and was in home with a smile on my face and a cup ot tea at 10.30pm

52 minutes ago, cynic said:

Or create a bear pit.

Just a gurt big hole with steps/ramps for pedestrians and cyclists.

No traffic lights, no crossings.

Why not ?

With the Redcliffe caves and the water close by I imagine there is a cost element to going underground, but I don't subscribe to their being no room for an overpass opposite the Portwall Tavern - particularly if that road became properly one way - and then leading across to St Mary Redcliffe and then the other way towards Queen Square.

I'm even one of the gits that is part of the constant stream of pedestrian traffic there so not the afflicted but it's plain to see why traffic blocks up all the way to Prince Street and down near enough to Victoria Street.

I can't believe how Bristol residents allow their Mayor to waste ££m on cycle sh1t when an affordable & sustainable public transport system is what's needed not expensive luxuries for a minority transport group .......   a group who lets face it only use those facilities if the weather suits.......slightest sign of rain and they all jump back in their cars.....

7 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I can't believe how Bristol residents allow their Mayor to waste ££m on cycle sh1t when an affordable & sustainable public transport system is what's needed not expensive luxuries for a minority transport group .......   a group who lets face it only use those facilities if the weather suits.......slightest sign of rain and they all jump back in their cars.....

How would you stop it? 

So let's do a quick school report on recent work to address transport options in this great city:

1) parking- reduce the number of car parks, put up prices, paint more yellow lines, and introduce residents parking schemes so locals have to pay to park outside their own house while income bringing commuters can't use those spots when they are empty during the day - CHECK.

2) Park and rides - let's have too few, too expensive, in the wrong place so you have to queue in traffic to get to them, and shut them down as soon as it gets past tea time - CHECK

3) Buses - don't put any more in place, make sure they stay expensive. Only run every 20 minutes at best, and do your best to make them part of the commuter car jam by putting bus lanes only where they aren't needed - CHECK

4) Trains - stick your main station a mile and a half out of the centre and refuse to open up existing lines and stations that could benefit tens of thousands - CHECK

5) Other transport options - leaves walking and cycling. I know, either stick them on the same paths and pavements so they don't suit either group, or build half hearted special cycle lanes that can take any idiot on a bike straight to certain death faster by running out as soon as a dangerous or busy junction or roundabout is reached - CHECK

OVERALL - A++++.

Cracking effort to #### up Bristol. Keep up the great work.

3 hours ago, KingtonRed said:

I've been caught up on a couple of occasions trying to get through redcliffe roundabout in rush hour. Have now given up and just sit it out through temple way, its actually much faster in rush hour as traffic signals and lack of zebras mean it flows better.

I think you're probably right to be fair.

Bear pit / overpass apart from expense would both look absolutely shocking and both ruin the appearence of a multitude of listed buildings around there. All for severe traffic that hits that area for approx 10 hours a week tops, not worth it...

The bear pit is the ugliest route into the city, let's not repeat it...

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think you're probably right to be fair.

Bear pit / overpass apart from expense would both look absolutely shocking and both ruin the appearence of a multitude of listed buildings around there. All for severe traffic that hits that area for approx 10 hours a week tops, not worth it...

The bear pit is the ugliest route into the city, let's not repeat it...

Sounds exactly like Bristol to be honest, instead of making it a better place that functions better lets let aesthetics get in the way.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

So let's do a quick school report on recent work to address transport options in this great city:

1) parking- reduce the number of car parks, put up prices, paint more yellow lines, and introduce residents parking schemes so locals have to pay to park outside their own house while income bringing commuters can't use those spots when they are empty during the day - CHECK.

2) Park and rides - let's have too few, too expensive, in the wrong place so you have to queue in traffic to get to them, and shut them down as soon as it gets past tea time - CHECK

3) Buses - don't put any more in place, make sure they stay expensive. Only run every 20 minutes at best, and do your best to make them part of the commuter car jam by putting bus lanes only where they aren't needed - CHECK

4) Trains - stick your main station a mile and a half out of the centre and refuse to open up existing lines and stations that could benefit tens of thousands - CHECK

5) Other transport options - leaves walking and cycling. I know, either stick them on the same paths and pavements so they don't suit either group, or build half hearted special cycle lanes that can take any idiot on a bike straight to certain death faster by running out as soon as a dangerous or busy junction or roundabout is reached - CHECK

OVERALL - A++++.

Cracking effort to #### up Bristol. Keep up the great work.

you should write that to your MP cyril

very thorough

In the 1970s they started an ambious project to create raised pavements for pedestrians and cyclists. The legacy of this has just disapeared around Froomsgate house but you can still see a bit by the EP building (the elevators) and to the front of the Mariott by it. It's a shame it failed because the concept was absolutely spot on.

21 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

The flaming traffic!

What a nightmare that was last night getting to the gate.  We left Tetbury at 5.30 and got to ship and castle car park at 7.12, radio bristol quoting gridlock into the City.

Thank god the lads did the business and cheered me up.

Are you Victor Meldrew in disguise ? 

50 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

In the 1970s they started an ambious project to create raised pavements for pedestrians and cyclists. The legacy of this has just disapeared around Froomsgate house but you can still see a bit by the EP building (the elevators) and to the front of the Mariott by it. It's a shame it failed because the concept was absolutely spot on.

I've never noticed that. just had to street view it to look in detail. Is there any plans online that you know of for the rest of the route?

4 hours ago, sodburyred said:

I've never noticed that. just had to street view it to look in detail. Is there any plans online that you know of for the rest of the route?

The trouble was it was never finished in places. It went from the evening post building and then along front of Marriott hotel with a spur off to castle park (bridges still there). Then it sort of stared again around old Bridewell island. The two bridges that were recently removed were parts.  Also bits scattered elsewhere.

There is a book on it but can't recall its name. Will look it up. 

4 hours ago, sodburyred said:

The trouble was it was never finished in places. It went from the evening post building and then along front of Marriott hotel with a spur off to castle park (bridges still there). Then it sort of stared again around old Bridewell island. The two bridges that were recently removed were parts.  Also bits scattered elsewhere.

There is a book on it but can't recall its name. Will look it up. 

Edit found a good article on it:

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Footsteps-Past-ndash-Bristol-s-walkways-sky/story-23052919-detail/story.html

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

I'm even one of the gits that is part of the constant stream of pedestrian traffic there so not the afflicted but it's plain to see why traffic blocks up all the way to Prince Street and down near enough to Victoria Street.

It was even worse tonight - Prince Street to St Mary Redcliffe roundabout, 0.4miles, 70 minutes!

I was trying to turn right on the roundabout, a nice clear route once I got there, can't wait for the swing bridge to reopen!

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I was just thinking about this myself. There is a similar thing in Kuala Lumpur, very few roadside pavements but walkways above the ground. It seems to work pretty well but you do have to take a non direct route often.

Some are even air conditioned, not sure we need that in Bris though.

23 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

this city needs a substantial tram, rail and bus network, not the pathetic council hodge podge we have today

Council...  is a byword for utter incompetence. You don't want to hear about my experience with my county council this week. 

6 hours ago, 29AR said:

Sounds exactly like Bristol to be honest, instead of making it a better place that functions better lets let aesthetics get in the way.

I don't want the unique urban fabric of our city permanently ruined by a massive walkway or bear pit just because people (myself included) get caught in traffic a few times a week, thanks.

Underpasses don't get built anymore ffs because they are grim, dirty places that are hotspots for crime.

If you start eroding the aesthetics of our great city then what exactly are you left with that distinguishes us from every other homogenous shit tip of a town in this country?

On 04/11/2015 21:31:18, Barrs Court Red said:

Dare I say it, but it needs something like TFL, spanning the region from Weston to Bath, preferably run by an organisation run by the authorities making up greater Bristol. More park and rides, greater parking facilities at stations, and bus routes built on efficiency, preferably that don't follow the flawed "rolling roadblock" nonsense.  With all that in place, bang in congestion charging and jobs a good un

a very good point, the key word is intergrated. Untill Somerset, Bristol and South Glos county councils either work together better OR the council area of bristol is enlargened to extent to the metro area then our public transport will remain a mess.

Ironically the privatisation/regionalisation of transport has not helped with regards to bus services. What hope of an intergrated solution when scores of different operators, funded by different councils criss cross the region constantly.

None the less I have been to a investor discussion on demographics and Bristol has some of the most promising (read excellent growth prospects) in western europe so the city needs to get its act together, we are going to continue growing (and yes, that should mean BCFC has more fans going forward :) )

Archived