IGNORED

Modern Football, not sure it's for me

Big Red Rich

With the OP all the way on this. Football is just to expensive for most, it is no longer the sport for the working man, it's a corporate thing, see how much we can fleece you package, from BT Sport Sky and now Bristol Sport there all at it, and why not place a bet on the match? How many corners, throw in's off sides, and Oh! yes Goals, subs , don't forget you can cash in anytime you want,

JUST WATCH THE ****IN MATCH AND PUT DOWN YOUR ****IN WINE GLASS YOU PONCE!!!:facepalm: 

23 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I don't really understand the hatred towards wine, IMO it just shows more women are going to the game and selling wine can have profitable margins. I'd be more annoyed at the fact that stadiums blast out music as the teams come out instead of letting the crowd make some noise or the fact that we sell bottled water for 2 ******* quid. Diving, moaning and managers constantly being sacked prematurely should all be higher up your list of annoyances. I know they are on mine 

I don't hate wine I love wine, but NOT at a football match. And what's all this about wimmin ...more!wimmin going to a football match.

Soft in the head the lot of ya! 

I think the wine point is a load of crap with respect, and I can't stand the stuff. Given that Ashton Gate is hopefully going to be host to more events outside of football, and some of those may need drinks kiosks to be open, having wine available there as well as other alternatives makes sense, and it would be pointless to take it away on match days when the worst case scenario is no one buys any and and no money is lost because other drinks are bought instead, that would have been bought regardless of whether wine was for sale or not.

54 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My ambition is to go to a Galatasaray vs Fenerbache derby and one day I will do just that. Should I wear a Besiktas shirt ?

Besiktas, Kasimpasa (they have a bit of hatred aimed their way at the moment, something political) or Istanbulspor or even Istanbul BB

1 hour ago, UncleAlbert said:

Being a younger supporter I do feel like I missed out on a golden age of football in the 70s and 80s. Theres too much feeling of security in the grounds now. Some people love to go to enjoy the beautiful game but nothing beats an electric atmosphere where the chance of genuine aggro is rife. Unfortunately the only way to experience this is to travel to Europe, Poland, Russia, or get tickets to a lively international fixture such as Turkey/Greece. The closest we get to trouble nowadays is listening to the old boys tell tales of the good days.

Seriously? You'd like the chance of some "genuine aggro". What kind of  ****wit goes looking for it?

I went to games in the 70's  and 80's with my dad. As a 7 year old, I got spat on by grown men for wearing my rosette (yes, a ******* rosette) while walking out of the ground. Is that what you had in mind? Or do you mean you want to see gangs of "real lads" kicking shit out of each other. That's all fun and games until someone remembers what caused the Heysel disaster.

I like to take my lad to games and I'm pleased he doesn't have to worry that some ******** with a personality problem is going to kick off.

Last year at Swindon:

Stood in a ramshackle, broken up, exposed to the elements end, with 2 blocked portaloos, a queue 30 mins long to get a cold in the middle pie and cup of...something....could of been tea, could have been coffee, not sure which. Such poor stewarding it took 25 mins for 2000 fans to get out. A hundred or so prepubescent chavs giving it the big one from behind the police cordon and being barged from behind from frustrated city fans into police horses and being hit by the the police rider on a power trip before walking back to your car to find its been keyed...

Or a brand new state of the art stadium, with wi-fi a choice of great hot and cold foods, beers, wine and soft drinks, TV's in the concourse to watch back highlights keep up with goals and highlights from other games, maybe a screen in the ground to watch back key moments (above the Atyeo, not in the South Stand corners, of course) Areas for the more vocal fans to congregate and make some noise, wave massive flags, decorate their stand with flags, banners and artwork (thats where I am by the way) and comfy seats, fantastic pitch views and great services for the people of which singing doesn't float their boat (not everyone has to sing them self hoarse every week) and an area for businessmen to wine, dine, influence their customers and broker new deals in the corporate area.

The new 'vision' aint perfect, but in my eyes it sure beats the 'Swindon Experience'

8 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

In the classy surroundings of Basingstoke Leisure Centre, with some old bid going mental ringside as Catweasel did his thing.

Remember Kendo Nagasaki's Nagasaki nose throw? 

What an awful thing, to try to make football appealing to a wider range of people.

Trying to offer catering that they might actually enjoy, an atmosphere that doesn't terrify them and an on-pitch display that's more like a football match and less like a fight. How utterly, utterly terrible.

16 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Last year at Swindon:

Stood in a ramshackle, broken up, exposed to the elements end, with 2 blocked portaloos, a queue 30 mins long to get a cold in the middle pie and cup of...something....could of been tea, could have been coffee, not sure which. Such poor stewarding it took 25 mins for 2000 fans to get out. A hundred or so prepubescent chavs giving it the big one from behind the police cordon and being barged from behind from frustrated city fans into police horses and being hit by the the police rider on a power trip before walking back to your car to find its been keyed...

Or a brand new state of the art stadium, with wi-fi a choice of great hot and cold foods, beers, wine and soft drinks, TV's in the concourse to watch back highlights keep up with goals and highlights from other games, maybe a screen in the ground to watch back key moments (above the Atyeo, not in the South Stand corners, of course) Areas for the more vocal fans to congregate and make some noise, wave massive flags, decorate their stand with flags, banners and artwork (thats where I am by the way) and comfy seats, fantastic pitch views and great services for the people of which singing doesn't float their boat (not everyone has to sing them self hoarse every week) and an area for businessmen to wine, dine, influence their customers and broker new deals in the corporate area.

The new 'vision' aint perfect, but in my eyes it sure beats the 'Swindon Experience'

I know it's here, and if are to compete we have to suck up to the 'new' image of what a football supporter is supposed to be. A fickle type who depending on the current position / league of the team will then decide to support the club. I had / have no choice, from the old first to the bottom of the old fourth we had to support. OK I don't get down to AG as much I would like to, or afford to, but the idea that I am being catered for in every way, whilst shelling out £100's is quite a daunting experience, and does not seem worth it.   

So I expect we are attracting a new type of supporter, almost the model of a Chelsea Man U type, no real commitment but plenty of expendable  income, and that leaves me cold, it's a corporate image SL and Bristol Sport is fulfilling so good luck with that, meanwhile I can always look back with fondness at the smelly urinals, the awful catering and the electric atmosphere that was the East End, and if you like the days out at Swindon Reading and Eastville that no corporate suit can create.   

I feel nostalgic when I think of the way football used to be, like the sight of floodlights from afar and the sense that every ground seemed to have it's own unique character. There was always a real sense of excitement about standing behind the goal in the East End - the poor view added to this somehow because sometimes you had to rely on crowd reaction to know what was happening. Goal celebrations were also fun - once I took a friend to his first game and once we had gone 1-0 up he said to me he hoped we didn't score again because he was a bit scared!

There are other things I don't miss: standing in the away end on an open terrace getting soaked in the rain; running through Ashton Park having to dodge people fighting; awful facilities at grounds. These didn't bother me at the time but I wouldn't want to go back to those things.

The things that do annoy me now are some of the extortionate prices and the behaviour of some players on the pitch (diving, feigning injury, wrestling during corners, arguing with officials etc). 

9 hours ago, Moloch said:

Seriously? You'd like the chance of some "genuine aggro". What kind of  ****wit goes looking for it?

I went to games in the 70's  and 80's with my dad. As a 7 year old, I got spat on by grown men for wearing my rosette (yes, a ******* rosette) while walking out of the ground. Is that what you had in mind? Or do you mean you want to see gangs of "real lads" kicking shit out of each other. That's all fun and games until someone remembers what caused the Heysel disaster.

I like to take my lad to games and I'm pleased he doesn't have to worry that some ******** with a personality problem is going to kick off.

Exactly.  People need to be careful when they overly romanticise an era they didn't actually go to games in.  I'm generally against / worried about lots of aspects of mod£rn football including the pricing out of traditional working class supporters, the sweeping away of history by rich foreign owners and the corruption at the highest levels of the game. However, to wish back the days where unless you were white and male going to the football meant getting abused, where the general public were frightened of fans and where the police viewed us as animals is just wrong.  

33 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

What an awful thing, to try to make football appealing to a wider range of people.

Trying to offer catering that they might actually enjoy, an atmosphere that doesn't terrify them and an on-pitch display that's more like a football match and less like a fight. How utterly, utterly terrible.

That really isn't the OP's point. 

Making something more appealing to more people will inevitably change what you had in the first place and put off many of your 'historic' following.  Nothing wrong in criticising that.  Just because something would become more popular with change doesn't make it an indisputable reason to change it.

If doing things for reasons of popularity trumps all, then you can look forward to an even more homogenous sport "a la X-Factor" and suchlike, with interactive player voting and bollocks like that.  No thanks.

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

That really isn't the OP's point. 

Making something more appealing to more people will inevitably change what you had in the first place and put off many of your 'historic' following.  Nothing wrong in criticising that.  Just because something would become more popular with change doesn't make it an indisputable reason to change it.

If doing things for reasons of popularity trumps all, then you can look forward to an even more homogenous sport "a la X-Factor" and suchlike, with interactive player voting and bollocks like that.  No thanks.

And that really isn't my point at all.

It's not about popularity as such and it's certainly not about turning football into X-Factor. It's simply about creating an environment in which people can enjoy the match in safety and comfort. I don't see what is wrong with that.

Some things are going to need a bit of give-and-take on both sides. Nobody can expect a football match to have an atmosphere like a church fete but equally nobody should feel intimidated by it. There's a balance to be found there, though arriving at it may never be possible.

The point about wine, though, is ridiculous. I'm sure he's only using it as representative of wider trends but what possible reason can there be for opposing an increased choice? As I understand it one can still buy a beer, or a bovril, or whatever you used to have, or one can buy a glass of wine. Who is harmed by that exactly?

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

That is embarrassing and idiots like that should never be allowed into a football stadium.

I mean how can a '79 be a bloody nouveau ffs.

This is a very old joke. (Is a whoosh coming?)  The person who said this obviously had a sense of humour.

As for the OP, I think Big Red Rich has a bit of a Victor Meldrew complex – nice but grumpy. He probably spends every Saturday afternoon shouting “I don’t believe it”. There’s still plenty of interesting things to do pre and post match that haven’t been affected by changes inside the ground.   Big Red / Victor probably owns a pair of rose tinted glasses, as the past always looks better when wearing them.  In the past, the choice was poor facilities, or no facilities. Now there is a choice of cider or (God forbid) wine!  All you got in the good old days at the open end, pre Atyeo stand, was wet when it rained! Would anybody really want to take out the new concourses and go back to the old ground.

I don’t wish to be rude Big Red, but there is something a bit sad about your post.  You complain about people driving big cars instead of taking the train, what people drink, and middle class fans.  Who cares about how people get to the ground, what they drink or what class they are?  I have the solution to help you chill out – a few glasses of 79 Beaujolais Nouveau, with a slowly poached duck egg ~ green peas, radish & summer truffle.

Archived