IGNORED

Modern Football, not sure it's for me

Big Red Rich

I bloody love football, I spent far too much of my school days thinking about football rather than doing work and not a lot has changed. 

These days football means a lot more to me than just the game, it's an afternoon away from work, away from the wife and kids and a chance to have several guilt free thatchers. 

However im really starting to fall out of love with it, in fact it's been waning for the past few years even with all of the excitement of winning promotion. I just don't think football wants passionate vociferous fans like me, they want middle class 'fans' who won't upset a steward for daring to look at them, won't tell the ref he's an effin clown and who drive Chelsea tractors to games rather than having the audacity to catch a train.

But you know what's really got me, what's really just make me think football for me has gone downhill......

We now serve wine from the kiosks at AG. Wine?????? Who the f comes to a football game to drink wine. 

I'll always love the city and will always try and get to games when time allows, I just don't think I'll ever enjoy it like I did a few years ago.

Am I just a grumpy sod or do I have a point???

11 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

I bloody love football, I spent far too much of my school days thinking about football rather than doing work and not a lot has changed. 

These days football means a lot more to me than just the game, it's an afternoon away from work, away from the wife and kids and a chance to have several guilt free thatchers. 

However im really starting to fall out of love with it, in fact it's been waning for the past few years even with all of the excitement of winning promotion. I just don't think football wants passionate vociferous fans like me, they want middle class 'fans' who won't upset a steward for daring to look at them, won't tell the ref he's an effin clown and who drive Chelsea tractors to games rather than having the audacity to catch a train.

But you know what's really got me, what's really just make me think football for me has gone downhill......

We now serve wine from the kiosks at AG. Wine?????? Who the f comes to a football game to drink wine. 

I'll always love the city and will always try and get to games when time allows, I just don't think I'll ever enjoy it like I did a few years ago.

30 years ago I wouldn't have been welcome, also I would have been too scared. I guess there are some who still don't like it (I don't mean you), but times have changed. I wouldn't mind a glass of wine, as long as it's not Chardonnay.

We can all look at it through rose tinted glasses.

I'm 52 now and have been going for well over 40 years.

My halcyon days were when City were in the top flight but were also a time when going to football was scarily violent, racist and played in ramshackle stadiums that treated you like cattle.

I loved the football that I watched then, but on reflection I like lots about how I watch it now (and still go completely mental at the ref, opposition, etc, so sorry to those who sit by me).

It should not matter whether some now drink wine instead of bitter or scrumpy. And that we all sit instead of standing in swaying masses on urine soaked terraces.

Neither does it matter that the supporters arrive in Chelsea tractors instead of the train or special buses from every point of Bristol.

Nor is the type of football played now by pros who are able to earn enough in a couple of seasons to live another three lifetimes.

It is still the best game in the world with the results at this level, so unpredictable. And a place to meet friends and continuosly forge new friendships.

Different but still the same?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

We can all look at it through rose tinted glasses.

I'm 52 now and have been going for well over 40 years.

My halcyon days when City were in the top flight but were also a time when football was scarily violent, racist and played in ramshackle stadiums that treated you like cattle.

I loved the football that I watched then, but on reflection I like lots about how I watch it now (and still go completely mental at the ref, opposition, etc, so sorry to those who sit by me).

Likewise, probably the only time you can let off steam is at the footy, and as long as I can still do that football can cater for and try and attract anyone and everyone, we are all different in some way, and I would say the club are trying to cater for all of us.

47 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

'

Wine for the ladies , beer for the men , simple .Them's the rules And where would we be without rules ? 

That's right France .

Where would we be with too many rules ? 

Germany .

at least the pub landlord says .

It's weird but whenever I bump into fans of others clubs in everyday life (this has included fans of Everton, Newcastle, Ipswich, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal, Wimbledon, Brighton, Palace etc) they are all still rabidly passionate about their clubs, but they talk about players from way back, and games from way back, and stadiums from way back, and cup runs from way back, and controversial incidents from way back, etc etc.

It seems we are still here, but desperately holding onto football from the past.

It will never be the same, and I feel really sorry for younger City fans who never stood in the East End in the seventies and eighties. I miss those days so much, and you certainly wouldn't have quaffed a Merlot in the ground back then!

58 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Likewise, probably the only time you can let off steam is at the footy, and as long as I can still do that football can cater for and try and attract anyone and everyone, we are all different in some way, and I would say the club are trying to cater for all of us.

Not where I was sat for the Fulham game, felt like I was back in the classroom with naughty looks all the time, wasn't like I was sat in  family area...

it is what it is. Should be proud we have a club owned by a Bristolian, with mainly English players and are still playing at AG.

Modern football isnt what it once was but would follow City through and through unless they did what some other owners have done namely Cardiff and Hull.

1 hour ago, Big Red Rich said:

Yes and yes.

1 hour ago, Big Red Rich said:

Was a good post until you mentioned wine. Why do you care what other people choose to drink? 

I still love the game, but everything is just a bit too plastic sometimes.

Its wonderful how inclusive the game is for supporters now. How everyone can sit in nice seats with a good view and get a nice glass of wine at half time surrounded by supporters that largely won't shout much abuse etc, watching players that are probably fitter then ever before playing what is mostly a non-contact game.

But, to be honest, I miss my youth of standing in slightly cramped terraces, with a poor view, watching what was sometimes terrible football with players that looked knackered after an hour because you'd seen them in town getting drunk a few days earlier. I miss it because the atmosphere was often electric, and because the physicality of the game then gave everyone a lot more to shout about.

The scary thing is, I don't even mean football of the 70's and 80's, this was the late 90's and 00's. Mad how the game has changed in a relatively short time.

That and we are, as mentioned, all getting older and grumpier!

5 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Was a good post until you mentioned wine. Why do you care what other people choose to drink? 

Because I heard someone ask for "a beaujolais nouveau... make it a '79"

It's not just football...but pretty much every sport. Football, cricket, Tennis, F1 for example....all much more exciting years ago.

I've thought about it before...imho, it was the imperfections that made it exciting....people made mistakes. Now everything is perfect...or near enough.

Football pitches are pristine...no mud or puddles.

Players are fitter, better coached, healthier and tactically set up not to make mistakes. It's now like a game of chess in many ways.

If you want a bit of nostalgia....go and watch non league. I do...as well as the City.

It's often more entertaining and feels right, if you get my drift.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

'

Wine for the ladies , beer for the men , simple .Them's the rules And where would we be without rules ? 

That's right France .

Where would we be with too many rules ? 

Germany .

at least the pub landlord says .

Nowt wrong with a pint or 3 of Chardonnay

11 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

That and we are, as mentioned, all getting older and grumpier!

The crowd I was working with until recently knew to steer clear of me when I was in GCM (grumpy c*** mood) which ended up being most days

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's not just football...but pretty much every sport. Football, cricket, Tennis, F1 for example....all much more exciting years ago.

I've thought about it before...imho, it was the imperfections that made it exciting....people made mistakes. Now everything is perfect...or near enough.

Football pitches are pristine...no mud or puddles.

Players are fitter, better coached, healthier and tactically set up not to make mistakes. It's now like a game of chess in many ways.

If you want a bit of nostalgia....go and watch non league. I do...as well as the City.

It's often more entertaining and feels right, if you get my drift.

Absolutely, growing up, watching Match of the Day with my dear old Dad gave me magical memories.

We'd watch games in the seventies played on pitches with no grass. It didn't stop players like Kevin Hector, Charlie George, Kenneth Dalglish, Bruce Rioch, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter playing their hearts out and putting everything into trying to win for their teams.

Today's overpaid show-ponies would refuse to play on those surfaces...bless 'em

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolutely, growing up, watching Match of the Day with my dear old Dad gave me magical memories.

We'd watch games in the seventies played on pitches with no grass. It didn't stop players like Kevin Hector, Charlie George, Kenneth Dalglish, Bruce Rioch, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter playing their hearts out and putting everything into trying to win for their teams.

Today's overpaid show-ponies would refuse to play on those surfaces...bless 'em

I think it is also the fact Sport is accessible 24/7. It's become mundane, due to over exposure. Too much of a good thing.

You used to look forward to MOTD, The Big Match, FA Cup Final day....the whole day. Used to watch Wimbledon, F1, Cricket, The Golf Open so much more back in the day...it was Entertaining...now it's mundane.

I often find myself watching games from the 70's, 80's, 90's on Youtube....

Thing is...it's normal....we all look back and reminisce ....remember my Dad complaining about Football in the 80's being rubbish compared to the 50's.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think it is also the fact Sport is accessible 24/7. It's become mundane, due to over exposure. Too much of a good thing.

You used to look forward to MOTD, The Big Match, FA Cup Final day....the whole day. Used to watch Wimbledon, F1, Cricket, The Golf Open so much more back in the day...it was Entertaining...now it's mundane.

I often find myself watching games from the 70's, 80's, 90's on Youtube....

Thing is...it's normal....we all look back and reminisce ....remember my Dad complaining about Football in the 80's being rubbish compared to the 50's.

Lets not forget the Wrestling before the teleprinter and the football results

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It will never be the same, and I feel really sorry for younger City fans who never stood in the East End in the seventies and eighties. I miss those days so much, and you certainly wouldn't have quaffed a Merlot in the ground back then!

I only went in the East End once (used to stand in the away end).  My littl'un never had the chance, but I did take this picture on the last home game of 13/14 season.

Him and his made look like a right pair of hoodlums with their cans (of Coke) in hand.

image.jpeg

Being a younger supporter I do feel like I missed out on a golden age of football in the 70s and 80s. Theres too much feeling of security in the grounds now. Some people love to go to enjoy the beautiful game but nothing beats an electric atmosphere where the chance of genuine aggro is rife. Unfortunately the only way to experience this is to travel to Europe, Poland, Russia, or get tickets to a lively international fixture such as Turkey/Greece. The closest we get to trouble nowadays is listening to the old boys tell tales of the good days. It is heartbreaking to see the working man priced out of the game. Terraces once full of labourers, dustbin men, miners are now inhabited by tourists with half flags. Look on the bright side. At least it isn't women's football, I watched the champions league last season when Barcelona were beat by Bristol academy. I can tell you now, that is no place to shout abuse or give the ref stick. I'd prefer to drag my balls through fifty miles of glass than silently sit through another 90 minutes of that. It's makes me feel guilty giving wilbs abuse for not jumping for headers. He could take on a whole female team and still have some left in the tank to run the Bristol half.

4 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

Being a younger supporter I do feel like I missed out on a golden age of football in the 70s and 80s. Theres too much feeling of security in the grounds now. Some people love to go to enjoy the beautiful game but nothing beats an electric atmosphere where the chance of genuine aggro is rife. Unfortunately the only way to experience this is to travel to Europe, Poland, Russia, or get tickets to a lively international fixture such as Turkey/Greece. The closest we get to trouble nowadays is listening to the old boys tell tales of the good days. It is heartbreaking to see the working man priced out of the game. Terraces once full of labourers, dustbin men, miners are now inhabited by tourists with half flags. Look on the bright side. At least it isn't women's football, I watched the champions league last season when Barcelona were beat by Bristol academy. I can tell you now, that is no place to shout abuse or give the ref stick. I'd prefer to drag my balls through fifty miles of glass than silently sit through another 90 minutes of that. It's makes me feel guilty giving wilbs abuse for not jumping for headers. He could take on a whole female team and still have some left in the tank to run the Bristol half.

My ambition is to go to a Galatasaray vs Fenerbache derby and one day I will do just that. Should I wear a Besiktas shirt ?

I don't really understand the hatred towards wine, IMO it just shows more women are going to the game and selling wine can have profitable margins. I'd be more annoyed at the fact that stadiums blast out music as the teams come out instead of letting the crowd make some noise or the fact that we sell bottled water for 2 ******* quid. Diving, moaning and managers constantly being sacked prematurely should all be higher up your list of annoyances. I know they are on mine 

Archived