IGNORED

Modern Football, not sure it's for me

Big Red Rich

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I'm not really a wine drinker, but if I do have an occasional glass it's just that, in a nice glass not in a plastic cup sold from a kiosk. I can't think of a much less appealing drink for a football match.

A pint of Holloway's steaming piss drunk from a muddy, rancid smelling, size 12 Puma King?

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I only went in the East End once (used to stand in the away end).  My littl'un never had the chance, but I did take this picture on the last home game of 13/14 season.

Him and his made look like a right pair of hoodlums with their cans (of Coke) in hand.

BEFORE.

image.jpeg

AFTER

DSC00476.jpg

It is somewhat run of the mill. Fans of minimalism may find the uncluttered neutral feel appealing.

I like that old EE wall and a shame it is gone, however there is no reason why something can't be done again in the Dolman/Atyeo outside corner car parks?

Give some colour and identity to a small corner of Ashton gate.

This end of the stadium could be used to create a more partisan feel. 

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

There is certainly lots of scope, more wall space than I realised once you stand back and look. It has a lot of potential. Wouldn't it be great if the walls of the houses could be properly and tastefully 'street-arted', was it upfest that did a lot through Bedminster recently. Make we could turn off the CCTV and give Bansky the nod!

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

There is certainly lots of scope, more wall space than I realised once you stand back and look. It has a lot of potential. Wouldn't it be great if the walls of the houses could be properly and tastefully 'street-arted', was it upfest that did a lot through Bedminster recently. Make we could turn off the CCTV and give Bansky the nod!

Fans are willing, cash and sponsors can be got hold of for PROJECT RED WALLS ;)

Interesting read but it seems odd that with all that goes on in the 'modern game'...

• players faking injuries
  • 'winning' fouls instead of being fouled
  • money ruling everything
  • players' earnings
  • the cost of tickets
  • TV stations dictating kick-off times
  • plastic lifeless stadiums
  • seating instead of terraces
  • corruption at the highest levels (allegedly best get that in!)
  • etc etc.

It's wine that's the biggest problem!!?

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

You're just getting older Rich and getting grumpy goes with it. I've been through the same myself. 

The good news is that it eventually passes. 

Just keep going to AG it will really help. 

Does it pass when you hit a certain age or after being grumpy for a set number of years. I'd like to know how long I've got before it passes me.

17 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

I bloody love football, I spent far too much of my school days thinking about football rather than doing work and not a lot has changed. 

These days football means a lot more to me than just the game, it's an afternoon away from work, away from the wife and kids and a chance to have several guilt free thatchers. 

However im really starting to fall out of love with it, in fact it's been waning for the past few years even with all of the excitement of winning promotion. I just don't think football wants passionate vociferous fans like me, they want middle class 'fans' who won't upset a steward for daring to look at them, won't tell the ref he's an effin clown and who drive Chelsea tractors to games rather than having the audacity to catch a train.

But you know what's really got me, what's really just make me think football for me has gone downhill......

We now serve wine from the kiosks at AG. Wine?????? Who the f comes to a football game to drink wine. 

I'll always love the city and will always try and get to games when time allows, I just don't think I'll ever enjoy it like I did a few years ago.

Am I just a grumpy sod or do I have a point???

Grumpy...Yes. A point....Certainly.

As a City fan with well over 45 years under his belt from his first game I feel I can speak with a certain amount of authority here...I can't remember being able to buy a beer inside or around the immediate ground in the 60's and 70's (however I was between five and eight) usually tea or Bovril and a pie at best...The point being that even having beer within the immediate vicinity of the ground is modernism and as such the extension to wine is just to see if it sells, if it does and continues to be sold and the club make a few scheckles then great, although I suspect ya CSF membership maybe suspended for being seen with Chardonnay on Duty!

The General point about the sterilization of football was made by Roy Keane 15 years ago and that has now filtered down as far as City.... Prawn sarnies and white wine sell and if that is what it takes to fill a 25,000 seater stadium it gets my vote....I remember early 70's footy standing on a windswept open end under the Hospital Broadcast Hut with 7,500 people, a bloke putting up scores on the alphabet (the younguns dont have a clue here) to force you to buy a bloody programme on top of the 40p it cost to get in!....

Give me modernism now please....Some of it sucks, but in general terms I've done my service to the cause and feel its time to retire from punishment in the stands, what is on the field is often punishment enough for my unyieldng devotion

17 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

You very much have a point. Today's owners were not yesterday's fans. 

Says a lot, really. 

And money is everything. And money follows TV. And TV wants a ubiquitous packaged product. It certainly doesn't want the risk of aggro. 

Spot on Cotswold, In our case SL was a fan, just of Bristol Rovers, but the point that footy is quoted on stock markets or owned by Billionaires is becoming more prevalent...Luckily we have one of those!

As far as the agro is concerned, the TV loves it, just wants it in small doses on Sky on a Tuesday at provincial grounds so the arm chair prawn sandwich Chardonnay premier league crowd have something to gawk at when not watching Man U....Luckily our game against the Gas in round 1 of the JPT a couple of years ago filled that need and the requirement!!! :laugh: 

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Grumpy...Yes. A point....Certainly.

As a City fan with well over 45 years under his belt from his first game I feel I can speak with a certain amount of authority here...I can't remember being able to buy a beer inside or around the immediate ground in the 60's and 70's (however I was between five and eight) usually tea or Bovril and a pie at best...The point being that even having beer within the immediate vicinity of the ground is modernism and as such the extension to wine is just to see if it sells, if it does and continues to be sold and the club make a few scheckles then great, although I suspect ya CSF membership maybe suspended for being seen with Chardonnay on Duty!

The General point about the sterilization of football was made by Roy Keane 15 years ago and that has now filtered down as far as City.... Prawn sarnies and white wine sell and if that is what it takes to fill a 25,000 seater stadium it gets my vote....I remember early 70's footy standing on a windswept open end under the Hospital Broadcast Hut with 7,500 people, a bloke putting up scores on the alphabet (the younguns dont have a clue here) to force you to buy a bloody programme on top of the 40p it cost to get in!....

Give me modernism now please....Some of it sucks, but in general terms I've done my service to the cause and feel its time to retire from punishment in the stands, what is on the field is often punishment enough for my unyieldng devotion

Spot on Cotswold, In our case SL was a fan, just of Bristol Rovers, but the point that footy is quoted on stock markets or owned by Billionaires is becoming more prevalent...Luckily we have one of those!

As far as the agro is concerned, the TV loves it, just wants it in small doses on Sky on a Tuesday at provincial grounds so the arm chair prawn sandwich Chardonnay premier league crowd have something to gawk at when not watching Man U....Luckily our game against the Gas in round 1 of the JPT a couple of years ago filled that need and the requirement!!! :laugh:

Spot on Redoxo. Does anyone remember when you could first buy a beer in the East/open end?

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Does it pass when you hit a certain age or after being grumpy for a set number of years. I'd like to know how long I've got before it passes me.

Perhaps I should have said that it fades...but reboots with energy when you're in the company of other grumpy old men. At least that's in my experience. 

I'm in my early 30's an it seems to me that with each year passing the number of incidents of people saying and doing stupid things increases.  

Grumpiness is a natural response in these circumstances.

Honestly, it seems 95% of the people I meet have the psyche of a small child.  The remaining, discerning 5% are grumpy like me!

5 hours ago, gl1 said:

Last year at Swindon:

Stood in a ramshackle, broken up, exposed to the elements end, with 2 blocked portaloos, a queue 30 mins long to get a cold in the middle pie and cup of...something....could of been tea, could have been coffee, not sure which. Such poor stewarding it took 25 mins for 2000 fans to get out. A hundred or so prepubescent chavs giving it the big one from behind the police cordon and being barged from behind from frustrated city fans into police horses and being hit by the the police rider on a power trip before walking back to your car to find its been keyed...

Or a brand new state of the art stadium, with wi-fi a choice of great hot and cold foods, beers, wine and soft drinks, TV's in the concourse to watch back highlights keep up with goals and highlights from other games, maybe a screen in the ground to watch back key moments (above the Atyeo, not in the South Stand corners, of course) Areas for the more vocal fans to congregate and make some noise, wave massive flags, decorate their stand with flags, banners and artwork (thats where I am by the way) and comfy seats, fantastic pitch views and great services for the people of which singing doesn't float their boat (not everyone has to sing them self hoarse every week) and an area for businessmen to wine, dine, influence their customers and broker new deals in the corporate area.

The new 'vision' aint perfect, but in my eyes it sure beats the 'Swindon Experience'

Sorry to say I prefer the former. If I wanted a cinema atmosphere I'd go to one. 

11 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I'm in my early 30's an it seems to me that with each year passing the number of incidents of people saying and doing stupid things increases.  

Honestly, it seems 95% of the people I meet have the psyche of a small child.  The remaining, discerning 5% are grumpy like me!

It is just your perspective changing. People have always been saying and doing stupid things and the older generations have always got grumpier about it.

It is called turning into your Dad.

2 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

DSC00476.jpg

That white panel is crying out for The Wedlock to be put up across it, also with the sponsors name... 

Perhaps someone could ask this question in the next meeting. 

It's not really big enough with those three badges on it and "Ticket Collections" already written on there.

It is somewhat run of the mill. Fans of minimalism may find the uncluttered neutral feel appealing.

I like that old EE wall and a shame it is gone, however there is no reason why something can't be done again in the Dolman/Atyeo outside corner car parks?

Give some colour and identity to a small corner of Ashton gate.

This end of the stadium could be used to create a more partisan feel. 

DSC00484.jpg

Are fans allowed to put flags along the dividing wall? They could tie them up on the railings. It would  help make things look a bit more colourful. 

19 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

You are not kidding!...I have lost count of the times I feel like the only adult in the room!....

What has changed? Are people more self obsessed? Is it the me culture? Have people been so molly coddled that they still have the 'psyche of a small child' and never grow up?.... 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Perhaps I should have said that it fades...but reboots with energy when you're in the company of other grumpy old men. At least that's in my experience. 

I'll be careful choosing the company I keep!!

20,000 not out - nice innings.

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

Are fans allowed to put flags along the dividing wall? They could tie them up on the railings. It would  help make things look a bit more colourful. 

There could be some collaborative efforts x Atyeo appearing in weeks. 

4 hours ago, RedM said:

There is certainly lots of scope, more wall space than I realised once you stand back and look. It has a lot of potential. Wouldn't it be great if the walls of the houses could be properly and tastefully 'street-arted', was it upfest that did a lot through Bedminster recently. Make we could turn off the CCTV and give Bansky the nod!fanzines

Beyond the housing It is easy to achieve. An attempt at a mini avenue of colour. All it requires is Bristol Sport to state "lets try something imaginative, and possibly remarkable!"

10-15% of the ground being used to do something bold. Its a synergy with what does already happens in BS3 / What has been done by fans previously.

He has not been approached, but Upfests driving force Steve has been supportive of City fans efforts in the past. Good bloke.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You are not kidding!...I have lost count of the times I feel like the only adult in the room!....

What has changed? Are people more self obsessed? Is it the me culture? Have people been so molly coddled that they still have the 'psyche of a small child' and never grow up?.... 

I personally feel that our great Aunt Maggie would have a lot to answer for what's not just been dubbed, but even marketed as, the Now Generation.

I'll have to wait for another generation to have a better perspective on that but this trend of taking pictures of yourself ('selfies') seems to epitomise that. 

Drew makes a point with the theory that we're all mini-me's in relation to our Dads.  My old man has consistently displayed what the military term as 'dumb insolence' in regards to fools and their idiocy.  

Maybe the concept of a 1/4 life crisis needs to enter the lexicon?

Archived