IGNORED

Modern Football, not sure it's for me

Big Red Rich

Cutting to the chase: football was great when we had unopposed pitch invasions, 'tasty away games' and Ian Holloway being unilaterally objected to.

I only go on occasion now, mainly because it's a shit experience, secondly because I can't justify the cost.  Better value at the cinema.

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Cutting to the chase: football was great when we had unopposed pitch invasions, 'tasty away games' and Ian Holloway being unilaterally objected to.

I only go on occasion now, mainly because it's a shit experience, secondly because I can't justify the cost.  Better value at the cinema.

Best experience in recent years was the subbers & inflatables and opening up the east end again etc. I doubt we'll see anything more like that again...

7 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

Best experience in recent years was the subbers & inflatables and opening up the east end again etc. I doubt we'll see anything more like that again...

A sentiment shared, It will not be the same, being pragmatic things will never be as intense as the seventies/eighties, or even the Eastend of a few years ago, but fans at the forefront who helped to create those experiences are still attempting to retain small parts of that culture.

Clear sensible ideas exist and will be discussed 1 - 2 - 1 with Bristol City / Sport. 

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

(surely the team manager should be included in these discussions. So that Bristol City/Bristol Sport/Cotts and fans can sit down and discuss these ideas 3 - 5 - 2  ..? )

If Bristol City become as famous for 3-5-2 as the Dutch were for total football, Barcelona for tiki taka,or Borussia Dortmund for gegenpressing then he gets a mural!!

Big Red Rich "Best experience in recent years was the subbers & inflatables and opening up the east end again etc. I doubt we'll see anything more like that again..." My and my friends kids would also agree. Bristol City isn't as dead as many clubs are yet. Ciderheads posts indicate all that fun and spirit does not have to be over here as well.

On 06/11/2015, 02:41:02, Big Red Rich said:

I bloody love football, I spent far too much of my school days thinking about football rather than doing work and not a lot has changed. 

These days football means a lot more to me than just the game, it's an afternoon away from work, away from the wife and kids and a chance to have several guilt free thatchers. 

However im really starting to fall out of love with it, in fact it's been waning for the past few years even with all of the excitement of winning promotion. I just don't think football wants passionate vociferous fans like me, they want middle class 'fans' who won't upset a steward for daring to look at them, won't tell the ref he's an effin clown and who drive Chelsea tractors to games rather than having the audacity to catch a train.

But you know what's really got me, what's really just make me think football for me has gone downhill......

We now serve wine from the kiosks at AG. Wine?????? Who the f comes to a football game to drink wine. 

I'll always love the city and will always try and get to games when time allows, I just don't think I'll ever enjoy it like I did a few years ago.

Am I just a grumpy sod or do I have a point???

Amen. Football started dying for me at about 2005. From 82 to 2012 I think I missed maybe 4 home games. But for me football has been dying on it's arse since the late 90's even in various promtion seasons I have to say although good the real love for it was not there. 

I think football has been thoroughly sanitised. Maybe because I am older but the whole premiership and strive to get to it only to survive massively killed football in this country for me. I know the same can be said for other countries... But to be honest football in this country has become a borefest imo.  

I used to follow city across the country.. Now I wake on a Saturday and then meh I'd rather do diy.... sad really

Maybe I'm one of those "middle class" fans you talk about?  I drink wine more than I do a pint, just because I prefer the taste, but if that makes me less of a fan then I apologise.  I chant and sing, I love it, but lets not mix chanting and singing with being a total ****.  

I'm on the flip side to you I think.  I hate football as its embarrassing watching grown men getting smashed off their heads needlessly swearing every other word due to lack of any sort of vocabulary.  I can support my team "vociferously" without upsetting stewards.  Why would I want to upset a steward? What has that got to do with supporting my team anyway? 

From my point of view, this "Middleclass non-fan" is enjoying his football more.  You don't have to act like a total neanderthal moron to support and roar on my team. Sorry.

10 minutes ago, Badger8 said:

Why would I want to upset a steward? What has that got to do with supporting my team anyway? 

to support and roar on my team. Sorry.

The point being made could be that attempting to vociferously roar on the team, unless you can do that in a sedentary seated position will upset the Stewards in parts of the stadium.

Fans are still attempting to create an area of the ground for the longer term, where vociferously supporting the team does not risk ejection.

3 hours ago, Badger8 said:

Maybe I'm one of those "middle class" fans you talk about?  I drink wine more than I do a pint, just because I prefer the taste, but if that makes me less of a fan then I apologise.  I chant and sing, I love it, but lets not mix chanting and singing with being a total ****.  

I'm on the flip side to you I think.  I hate football as its embarrassing watching grown men getting smashed off their heads needlessly swearing every other word due to lack of any sort of vocabulary.  I can support my team "vociferously" without upsetting stewards.  Why would I want to upset a steward? What has that got to do with supporting my team anyway? 

From my point of view, this "Middleclass non-fan" is enjoying his football more.  You don't have to act like a total neanderthal moron to support and roar on my team. Sorry.

And that statement can be very much tied in to the corporate areas this season from what i hear from the very people who have to deal with it and a fair few complaints about language which may surprise you but it does surpass more than your so called vocal terrace areas .

But for obvious reasons they won't publicise that too much, i agree passion in fans can be very much in all walks of life and classes however the top end always get their due's unlike some sections of support.

The corporate toff's pissed off quick enough in 1982 once the place was blood sucked dry of hand outs and free bee's, which happens in some forms of hospitality trying to impress each other with utter falseness i really hate, it then was leaving the grass root fan to fight for the club only now to see the place a very different beast.

I think some fans just want their own little corner place of tradition.

To be honest football's been so horribly whored I ******* despise it.  

But a result like you saw at R*vers today reminds me as to why we care.

It's funny, it made me laugh.  All the plastic, cooperate shit in the world can't buy me that!

That supposed derby with Cardiff was empty.  

It's odd really. Football is too much about a a long term goal for me. If I'm blatantly honest I couldn't give a flying **** about whether or not we get to the premier league. I just want to have fun getting there. I'd far rather be in a lower league with a great atmosphere than be another sunderland or hull.

Well, I'm a traditionalist. Stood on the East, Park Ends, the Paddock, Dolman A. Been there, done that home & away. 

I think the new Gate is magnificent. Great stadium, facilities made so much better by the fans who don't want to be part of the new sanitised football culture. Hats off to the Atyeo crew for the colour and sounds.... but the new Ashton Gate still rocks. For me, the Leeds game showed what the Gate was and still is about when all stands stood (including the 'family section') and, in unison, sang 2-0 and you ****** it up. Just a small incident ... but a massive statement.

Well done the owners and stewards for allowing a relaxed attitude to 'traditional' football in a modern arena.

Proud to be a City fan. 

I think people will always think that their youth was when football was the best. Maybe the atmosphere was better in the 80s but as a young fan I will sing and support my team as do many fellow reds. The fans you meet who tell stories of past games and players from the 70s and 80s will be replaced in 20 or 30 years by us lot who will reminisce about winning promotion with a 6 nil win and just maybe about what a player that French striker was who fired us to the premier league. Its your choice of course to watch City play but there is little better than a day out with the cider army and I doubt that will ever change.

3 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I haven't seen that at all

It should pointed out that it was made clear that there would be zero tolerance to standing and that has been enforced in what was A block. It is also fair to highlight that the female steward who has been placed in that area is very good at her role.

3 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Tomorrow will be my first home game since i wrote this post almost a year ago!!

So, do we still serve wine?!!! 

It's all about Hipsters these days.

You can get craft ale served in a jam-jar and the fans charter has been updated so that at least 30% of the match day programme is on the art of been keeping.

Special feature tomorrow as well, 'best moisturising lotion to use on your beard during the winter months' - foreword by the perma-tanned midfielder Marlon Pack.

He is also going to give away a signed checked shirt and a pair of jumbo cords to one lucky reader.

20 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Tomorrow will be my first home game since i wrote this post almost a year ago!!

So, do we still serve wine?!!! 

You'll probably not the best person to ask ,but I have a couple of questions 

Can I reserve a ticket for the cordoned off VIP area as I don't want to hobnob with any chavs or unsavoury types. And is the champagne Krug?

Archived