IGNORED

Confused

Ivorguy

The manager made it clear before the season that we would only bring in players who were better than we have.

So why are Cox and Moore on the bench and then not brought on, and Robinson is with the under 21s ?

Secondly, the manager says we need a midfielder (as if fans didn't know that) and yet the three players cited above are not playing and are not midfielders - unless you think Robinson and Moore can switch to that position, but then obviously the manager doesn't.

Surely we could have loaned in a midfielder better than we currently have.

Confused? I am.

Bizarre why we don't give Cox a chance, Agard was great yesterday but you need to be finishing regardless of your work rate. Maybe cotts expected pack and Freeman to do a job, despite last season's quality they've really been on a poor run of form, I expect Freeman will come good but pack is starting to resemble kilkenny. I would say it's 50/50 that pack will last in the championship, his work from set plays the last few games has been abysmal, I can't remember how many times he's failed to get the ball over the first man in corners. I hope I'm wrong but so far this season he's given me no reason to think otherwise. I also love flint but when we've gone against a team that can move the ball on the deck he's been tested, great at cutting out the long ball but his pace is a concern. 

3 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

Bizarre why we don't give Cox a chance, Agard was great yesterday but you need to be finishing regardless of your work rate. Maybe cotts expected pack and Freeman to do a job, despite last season's quality they've really been on a poor run of form, I expect Freeman will come good but pack is starting to resemble kilkenny. I would say it's 50/50 that pack will last in the championship, his work from set plays the last few games has been abysmal, I can't remember how many times he's failed to get the ball over the first man in corners. I hope I'm wrong but so far this season he's given me no reason to think otherwise. I also love flint but when we've gone against a team that can move the ball on the deck he's been tested, great at cutting out the long ball but his pace is a concern. 

I think most of us accepts that Flinty hasn't pace - hence the 3 at the back. I think we can live with that as a trade-off for his heading ability and strength in the tackle. What is more than worrying is the reoccurrence of the 'once a match' lapse of concentration. Thought we got that out of him ... but it's back. A serious flaw in the Championship given we're up against clinical finishers. 

Let's hope during the international break we do a repair job on him, Freeman and Joe. All three were outstanding performers last season but have suffered big dips in form. 

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The manager made it clear before the season that we would only bring in players who were better than we have.

So why are Cox and Moore on the bench and then not brought on, and Robinson is with the under 21s ?

Secondly, the manager says we need a midfielder (as if fans didn't know that) and yet the three players cited above are not playing and are not midfielders - unless you think Robinson and Moore can switch to that position, but then obviously the manager doesn't.

Surely we could have loaned in a midfielder better than we currently have.

Confused? I am.

There is more to the transfer fiasco than you think.

It's rubbish that we can't compete with wages....maybe for some of the big names with multi million pound price tags....but there are players of better quality than we have, that we could afford.

The loans brought in were all 'squad fillers' imho....a few necessary to cover those who were injured...ie Little and Agard.

I don't think it will ever come out into the public domain the complete farce of our recruitment this season....but our 'struggles' are purely down to that and some panic decision making imo.

Robinson could be playing U21 football for Villa, but he's stuck playing it here. Surely that's the most obvious one that needs to be sent back. Summer was a shambles, and unless 3/4 players are bought in permanently in January, that will be a shambles as well. 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

What...you actually never talking about football and just trolling other forum members....yeah that'll be about right....same old predictable Nick J....get a life bud.

As usual a factually inaccurate comment.

But anyway I will bite.

How do you know the recruitment was a complete farce this season, and if you do know, why will it not come into the public domain?

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

But anyway I will bite.

How do you know the recruitment was a complete farce this season, and if you do know, why will it not come into the public domain?

It will never be revealed because all football clubs are the most secretive of any type of business. What goes on in boardrooms and dressing rooms is never allowed out officially. Just the odd hint here and there and leave us to guess what did or dfid not occur.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It will never be revealed because all football clubs are the most secretive of any type of business. What goes on in boardrooms and dressing rooms is never allowed out officially. Just the odd hint here and there and leave us to guess what did or dfid not occur.

In this case " did not " occur .

16 hours ago, UncleAlbert said:

Your comments on Pack are so wide of the mark. 

56 minutes ago, NickJ said:

But anyway I will bite.

Because players talk...and as Cidered abroad also said. Nothing 'official' would be released....but players and Agents get wind of things, especially f they are involved.

42 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Because players talk...and as Cidered abroad also said. Nothing 'official' would be released....but players and Agents get wind of things, especially f they are involved.

Well surely you have to say what it is? There is no point in coming on a forum for discussion and just saying I know something but cant say what it is, are you not just attention seeking otherwise? (no offense meant).

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Well surely you have to say what it is? There is no point in coming on a forum for discussion and just saying I know something but cant say what it is, are you not just attention seeking otherwise? (no offense meant).

So you think it's best to stay shtummmmm and say absolutely nothing, rather than imply something?

Some things you can't write on a public open forum....as that poor bloke who follows Blackpool found out.

Tbh...I've heard from various sources what it is....many just normal fans as well....so it has got out and isn't so 'secret'.

I'd start asking about off the forum and I'm sure you'll find out eventually....but like I said, it will never be made official.

Win a game and the ITK's stay quiet. Lose one or draw one away from home that we were expected to win 26-0 for some reason and they're out again.

We all know the pre-season was an almighty f00k up, not the first one in the last 15-20 years either. And Steve Cotterill hasn't been Manager for the last 15-20 years so perhaps "confused" and his/her ilk should be looking elsewhere if they must have a moan.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Your comments on Pack are so wide of the mark. 

I appreciate your opinion, good to open a discussion but could you elaborate, I feel pack isn't very direct, he plays the odd Hollywood pass but more often than not these fall short or wide. His performance at Bolton didn't suggest otherwise. Several wasted corners and the odd dodgy free kick, time and again he took the ball around the box and not into it. If I had to let go of anyone in the midfield, pack would be top of my list. I can't imagine any larger championship sides pulling out the check book for pack anytime soon. I hope you're right bristol86 but please, feel free to contribute. I'd be interested to hear your view.

44 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

I appreciate your opinion, good to open a discussion but could you elaborate, I feel pack isn't very direct, he plays the odd Hollywood pass but more often than not these fall short or wide. His performance at Bolton didn't suggest otherwise. Several wasted corners and the odd dodgy free kick, time and again he took the ball around the box and not into it. If I had to let go of anyone in the midfield, pack would be top of my list. I can't imagine any larger championship sides pulling out the check book for pack anytime soon. I hope you're right bristol86 but please, feel free to contribute. I'd be interested to hear your view.

I wasn't at Bolton so I'm not fit to comment on that particular performance, but it seems like Pack is just the easy target.

Like Skuse (and to a lesser extent Lee Johnson before him), there has seemingly never been any love for that role amongst City fans (regardless of the individual occupying it).

Skuse was widely criticised by City fans and has gone on to prove his worth and become a key player at a club who have consistently placed higher than us and almost reached the Premier League. There just doesn't seem to be much appreciation of anyone in that ball playing central role, someone who can just keep the game ticking and move the ball on. 

Korey Smith gets all the plaudits (and rightly so) yet his passing/movement/vision is no better than Pack's. But because he runs around a lot and puts a few crunching tackles in, his contribution is more noticeable. Pack IMO does what he does very well - he has his moments like others - but I'd say he's been one of our most improved performers over the last year or so.

I don't know where you would find those stats, but I'll bet his pass completion is right up there. People will say he only passes sideways or backwards etc. etc. but you don't hear many Barca fans moaning about the number of simple short passes Iniesta or Busquets play. 

No, I'm not comparing our Marlon to Iniesta - you only have to compare beards to see who's the better player - but with the type of football we play Pack's role is pretty important, and I think he's adding more to his game as time goes on.

TLDR; I think Pack's been as good as anyone this season. Save for Kodjia/Baker/Smith who have stood out with their performances, I don't understand why people keep singling out Pack for criticism.

Good morrow fellow scribes,

My first posting so suit of armour firmly on!

Supported City for 51 years now through thick and thin (mostly thin!). I blame it all on my grandfather and father as they took me to The Gate back in 1964 and that was it. Now I'm the grandfather watching with my son (with grandsons joining in as soon as they're old enough).

Been reading the postings on this forum for yonks now and it is just so entertaining that it's become a true addiction. I'm like a kid with his/her first smart-phone. I just can't leave OTIB alone so I thought, what the hell, I may as well join in and give all you City fans the benefit of my football experience which includes an illustrious 15 year playing career in the top division of the Mid Somerset League AND ten years of managing a team in the Premier Division of the Frome & District Sunday League (a bit like managing Bristol Rovers today!). Quite frankly, if there's anyone out there who knows less than me about football, I'd like to meet them!

I'm firmly with Bristol 86 on the subject of Marlon Pack. He's not perfect (indeed, who is in the current team?) but the critisism he gets on this forum and, sadly, around me where I sit in the Dolman Stand, is just unreal.

He is doing a very difficult job and doing it very well, just as the Manager has instructed.

When The Cod misses a sitter (as he has done on a number of occasions), all you can hear around me is " Hard luck son, keep going". If Marlon makes the occasional mis pass, all you can hear is "Bl..dy Hell Pack, what d'ya think you're doing".

Against Wolves, Marlon was awesome but even when he split their defence with superb passes several times, too many people around me either said nothing or managed to utter feint reluctant praise.

Football is a funny old game and everyone is more than entitled to their opinion but I do wish that a few more City supporters had actually been on, or anywhere near, a football pitch themselves at sometime in their lives (and I don't mean when walking their dog at night) as I'm sure they'd have a much bigger appreciation of the role that players such as Marlon Pack are asked to undertake.

I'm now awaiting the abuse but I warn you. If you're really horrible to me, I'll never post again, so there...........

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I wasn't at Bolton so I'm not fit to comment on that particular performance, but it seems like Pack is just the easy target.

Like Skuse (and to a lesser extent Lee Johnson before him), there has seemingly never been any love for that role amongst City fans (regardless of the individual occupying it).

Skuse was widely criticised by City fans and has gone on to prove his worth and become a key player at a club who have consistently placed higher than us and almost reached the Premier League. There just doesn't seem to be much appreciation of anyone in that ball playing central role, someone who can just keep the game ticking and move the ball on. 

Korey Smith gets all the plaudits (and rightly so) yet his passing/movement/vision is no better than Pack's. But because he runs around a lot and puts a few crunching tackles in, his contribution is more noticeable. Pack IMO does what he does very well - he has his moments like others - but I'd say he's been one of our most improved performers over the last year or so.

I don't know where you would find those stats, but I'll bet his pass completion is right up there. People will say he only passes sideways or backwards etc. etc. but you don't hear many Barca fans moaning about the number of simple short passes Iniesta or Busquets play. 

No, I'm not comparing our Marlon to Iniesta - you only have to compare beards to see who's the better player - but with the type of football we play Pack's role is pretty important, and I think he's adding more to his game as time goes on.

TLDR; I think Pack's been as good as anyone this season. Save for Kodjia/Baker/Smith who have stood out with their performances, I don't understand why people keep singling out Pack for criticism.

I agree wholeheartedly, what you failed to mention is that even in the closing stages, he's still willing, fit and able enough to charge across the pitch to cover the other side and get an important challenge in. A few goals to his game and he'd be very sought after.

2 hours ago, UncleAlbert said:

Quite agree mate he's like a crab can't pass forward 

Dear Numerous Uno, if you re-read what I wrote to start this thread off you will see that the debate very quickly moved away from my comments.

Your reference to my original post you will see is inaccurate.

It was not a moan, as you say, but a number of questions that leaves me confused

I made no reference to anything earlier than this summer, and I was not commenting on the lack of summer recruits but to the actual loanees we have subsequently brought in or failed to bring in

I am more than happy to be challenged on what I have said but not on what I haven't said!

Clearly a divide in opinion. Thanks sir leigh for joining the fray. I have myself played a notable amount of football and played against quality opposition, This doesn't make my opinion any more valid. Pack gets the simple things wrong too often, he tries to over complicate. If I was manager I would be playing Osborne and probably Wagstaff, I don't doubt most will disagree with that but its my view, over the summer period I can guarantee you that noone came in asking questions about pack, Freeman and Bryan however. As for Bristol86, you did yourself a favour missing the Bolton match. Regardless of the upset this may cause Pack had a bad game and as for playing in a difficult position. Theres no difficult positions on a pitch when you're earning ten grand a week. I bet you both a pint that cotts will have pack replaced in the summer. For now we can agree to disagree. 

Archived