IGNORED

England v Spain Thread

reddogkev

Moor2sea thanks for the reply.

There are reports post tournament but they do not implement radical and fundamental change.

"Breed winners, give them a 'will to win', celebrate success, learn from failure. Train, train, train concentrating on physical and mental toughness, expressing themselves and keeping things simple rather than tying them in knots with exercises from a technical coaching manual. Constant practice, skills, free kicks et al. Identify and exploit natural strengths" ... With respect aspects of this are part of the FA;s four corners, and coaching modules, but you have not explained how you would ensure it occurs e,g How would you measure standards are being adhered to, who will do this training and who will pay for it!

England simply does not have enough coaches to put a national framework in place at this point. England also has no national standards that are monitored unlike the Spanish.

"keeping things simple rather than tying them in knots with exercises from a technical coaching manual"... That is what coaching manuals are. They are not complex, and many drills are various options on the same theme which helps to keep kids and later players more engaged v thrashing over relentlessly the same point in the same manner.

Then, the Premiership.... have a maximum 5 foreign players in first team squads, don't allow rich clubs to hoard English youngsters in vast academies with little chance of breaking through to the first team.... Simply is not gong to, happen. A lost cause without Government intervention. Unfortunately Bristol City FC voted for one of the elements that allows that cycle to, continue i.e The EPPP.

Imagine what fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City/Man Utd all of them would make of it? We want our wins today, and more stars.

"Oh, and scrap the FA...." .Do what with it? Merge with the EPL/EFL. Simply is not gong to, happen. A lost cause without Government intervention again. Billionaires want to keep their status quo, and will.

The above would take a revolution, what i would like to see is a national skills syllabus rolled out to improve standards, monitored and enforced, funded by TV's cash leading to a national framework of tens of thousands of coaches working in schools, clubs then into development centres / academies in a collective effort to improve. It has never been attempted in England, but it is what foreign nations do.

Regarding the earlier "but we ain't 'naturally' gifted and coaching imho makes little difference" have a look at http://www.firststepssoccer.com/ The kids who commit and come through that have a far higher level of skill than their peers. That and football principles like it should be where England starts from the grass roots up, but doesn't.

Personally I think the first thing that should be done is get rid of these....

3030594722_551b7ddd3e.jpg

We always read about how many south American players had nothing but a ball growing up and learn skills playing in the street, the likes of Zidane say similar.

Paul Scholes says in the class of 92 docu that he would practise passing on his local estate and his dad would get into arguments with the neighbours as he wasn't supposed to be playing there!

How a bout we actually encourage kids to play where ever they can... When I was a student in South Manchester 2 of the 4 closest parks to where I lived had banned ball games and skateboards! Imagine growing up and not being able to play football in your local parks!!!

Cowshead. Thanks for your detailed, considered and informative responses. Nice to see this thread hasn't degenerated into the bickering and name calling that plague some of the threads on OTIB.

Interesting and gives me (slight) hope. 

You ask about measures. Football, to me, is results followed by quality of performance. We could be playing like Barca (aka The Gas) week in, week out with all the possession in the world yet find ourselves at club level in the Conference and nationally, in the wastelands of non-qualifiers. OK, I may be 'old school' but I look at our direction of travel and, frankly despite being as passionate an England fan as anybody, I'm losing interest in the national team. Looks like a load of lost show ponies. We may/may not get a result against France. If we do, I'm sure everybody will think 'we're on the right track'.

Moi? No, the trend is downwards. The days of us  conquering Europe at club level every season and being a big team on the national stage are long past. If Greece, who I'm sure have far fewer coaches and coaching manuals than us, can win a Euro Championship then I'm sure we can playing our own brand of football rather than trying to copy the 'European Style'. 

Moor2sea an opinion is that the Greeks got lucky, but made that luck by using a Ultra cautious style of football that at times was a 5-5-0 formation. Mr Hodgson plays one on up top, with two in the space behind and gets coated off for it. At present the call is for England to sit back and counter attack = Can't pass so park the bus and maybe nick one.

I'm sure we can playing our own brand of football rather than trying to copy the 'European Style'. ... Again what is "our own brand of football"? German players have the core ability to adopt to various systems, English player generally do not.

Surely our own brand of football" has to be first of wall creating players with a broad range of skills, who can interchange are be comfortable on the ball, and at times being able to act as a player maker. An example is Phillip Lahm who played in various positions.

I would disagree with the point regarding quality of performance. Quality of performance comes first. England will get those results to qualify for tournaments, but the quality of performance which is a team of the already mentioned broad range of skills, ability to interchange of positions to adopt to top level opposition is not present.

The European Style needs flexible players be it Barca or Bayern. The English style? Needs that technical ability to be flexible, to rotate positions to be able to compete.

Archived