IGNORED

They Went To a Football Match - Pray For Paris

Up The City!

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Has Kodjia been tweeting/heard from since the Paris attacks?

I wouldn't be surprised if the players had some time off during the international break.  And it would be natural for him to spend a few days "at home".  

I wonder how this will affect him on Saturday especially if childhood friends are involved.

PS Mods, we need a tricolor emoticon! 

Pemberton tweeted he was fine yesterday 

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I've had an email back from David Lloyd. They're going to consider what would be an appropriate response from the club. 

Cant say fairer than that. 

Hopefully they'll go one better than playing 'Joe La taxi' as the teams walk out and understand the weight of solidarity.

And they announce early their intentions, just in case supporters would like to do something less corporate and more human.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hopefully they'll go one better than playing 'Joe La taxi' as the teams walk out and understand the weight of solidarity.

And they announce early their intentions, just in case supporters would like to do something less corporate and more human.

One can only hope they pick "Be My Baby" instead.  A much better track.

I was totally shocked and devastated by the events in Paris, especially as I have been to a gig in the Bataclan Theatre, the one that was involved in around 80 people losing their lives on Friday.

But how do events like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32169080 seemingly go unnoticed and don't prompt the same reactions around the world? It was back in April but didn't get anything like the media and social media coverage of the Paris atrocities even though more people lost their lives.

It's a mad, crazy and horrible world out there...

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was totally shocked and devastated by the events in Paris, especially as I have been to a gig in the Bataclan Theatre, the one that was involved in around 80 people losing their lives on Friday.

But how do events like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32169080 seemingly go unnoticed and don't prompt the same reactions around the world? It was back in April but didn't get anything like the media and social media coverage of the Paris atrocities even though more people lost their lives.

It did get a fair old amount of coverage actually. Maybe not in the tabloids,  but it was a major item in mainstream press and TV news at the time.

BUT Paris is always going to get more attention,  not because we don't value Kenyans but simply because France is near us, we know it, we've visited it, we may know people there and we can all think "Christ!  I could've been sitting in one of those cafés had this happened at another time!"

Few of us, however,  will have been to north-east Kenya. And Kenya has sadly suffered far more terrorist attacks than Paris has, due to having Somalia just across the border. 

It's just the way of the world. 

We would be more interested in a bus crash that hurt no-one but happened outside our home than we would in reading about one that killed 40 people in Burma.

Human nature.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree totally with your sentiments .I had this discussion with some friends over the same subject , It was a side note in the news for example , for the attack in Beirut that caused forty odd deaths last week .

The sad fact is that some lives are considered more valuable than others .

A massacre in the Stade de France was  avoided thanks to the extra sécurity laid on for the protection of Président Holland .

The Kamikaze bombers could n't get into the stadium and blew themselves up in the street outside. 

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It did get a fair old amount of coverage actually. Maybe not in the tabloids,  but it was a major item in mainstream press and TV news at the time.

BUT Paris is always going to get more attention,  not because we don't value Kenyans but simply because France is near us, we know it, we've visited it, we may know people there and we can all think "Christ!  I could've been sitting in one of those cafés had this happened at another time!"

Few of us, however,  will have been to north-east Kenya. And Kenya has sadly suffered far more terrorist attacks than Paris has, due to having Somalia just across the border. 

It's just the way of the world. 

We would be more interested in a bus crash that hurt no-one but happened outside our home than we would in reading about one that killed 40 people in Burma.

Human nature.

A good post . I agree in large part however this  is precisely why travelling the world is important . 

We should n't be indifferent to the loss of any human life whether we've visited  their country or not .

There is of course information over load which renders us a bit ' blasé ' to the suffering in the world  but we must n't shut our eyes to the reality .

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree totally with your sentiments .I had this discussion with some friends over the same subject , It was a side note in the news for example , for the attack in Beirut that caused forty odd deaths last week .

The sad fact is that some lives are considered more valuable than others .

A massacre in the Stade de France was  avoided thanks to the extra sécurity laid on for the protection of Président Hollande .

The Kamikaze bombers could n't get into the stadium and blew themselves up in the street outside. 

I'm sorry Major, but I must disagree with you there, Sir.

Whilst I agree entirely that sadly, perhaps shamefully, 'some lives are considered more valuable than others', the presence of M Hollande at the Stade de France was not the reason a massacre was avoided - I have attended numerous events at the SdeF (football, rugby, even opera) and security has always been exemplary - and invariably undertaken in good humour.

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk//news/article/minutes-silence-on-saturday-2806486.aspx

the clubs chosen response. Nice idea and was impressive with England yesterday I felt seeing the players coming together. 

I feel it's a bit of a missed opportunity to make a visual statement holding up cards to form the tricolour. As we are on TV this would have been a great opportunity.

Archived