IGNORED

Turkey's 'Minute of Silence'

freezer

Excuse me if I've missed it, but has nobody got any comments regarding the appalling behaviour of the Turkish fans, building up to and during the supposed minute of silence on Tuesdays game versus Greece.

When, as 'football unites' in showing respect for the lost and injured in the Paris atrocities, we were shown how very disrespectful some can be. 

Speechless - just bloody speechless ...... where would they be now if it wasn't for the huge amount of aid Turkey has received in recent years following natural disasters earthquakes etc.... Some have got short memories it seems, wonder how much support they'll receive from the likes of Isis when the next one strikes.

And to add a bit of balance, and remembering that Turkey was hit by the atrocity at a peace rally in Ankara during the final round of  Euro qualifiers, and NO mark of respect was initiated by EUFA or the footballing community at any of the games following that tragic event:-

http://www.turkish-football.com/turkish-fans-chant-anti-terrorist-slogans-during-silence-for-victims-of-paris-attacks-what-actually-happened/

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

And to add a bit of balance, and remembering that Turkey was hit by the atrocity at a peace rally in Ankara during the final round of  Euro qualifiers, and NO mark of respect was initiated by EUFA or the footballing community at any of the games following that tragic event:-

http://www.turkish-football.com/turkish-fans-chant-anti-terrorist-slogans-during-silence-for-victims-of-paris-attacks-what-actually-happened/

Just reading the comments below, so it is not my opinion or news resource, but apparently there were whistles etc through a one minute silence for the bombing in Ankara. 

I don't know who to believe but I guess each country does it its own way and as I am not one of those supporters I can't speak directly for them. 

Plus I'm wary of youtube clips that apparently show people acting inappropriately. These films are easily taken out of context and their true meaning twisted. There was a film doing the rounds apparently showing some Pakistanis celebrating last week's attacks, when they were actually celebrating winning the cricket last summer

Thought this was about a minutes silence before Christmas Dinner.

P.S. On a serious note, if Turkey joined the EU the thought of open borders and free movement of citizens through the EU is worrying, to say the least, in light of recent events.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Also there's this video doing the rounds on social media of Muslim celebrations in Turkey when they hear of the atrocities in Paris..

This is not a dig at you BS4, but after 9/11 there were similar videos doing the rounds which were later proved to celebrations of something completely unrelated. it's very difficult to put timelines on these things so faking reactions is easily done.

Well it would be weird if they did observe a minutes silence given the geographic location and the fact they are a Muslim country. Naive to think that every nation does not support what happened in Paris, many are excited and looking forward to similar. This thread typifies how deep our heads are in the sand, it is War make no mistake, we have to accept that.

I read this on Facebook posted by 101 football (something like that) but they retracted the story after a Turkish supporter wrote in and basically said that is what they do in Turkey, they don't have a minutes silence but boo and sing against the terrorists, I'm not sure how true or untrue it is but it could possibly put a different slant on it, 

15 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Well it would be weird if they did observe a minutes silence given the geographic location and the fact they are a Muslim country. Naive to think that every nation does not support what happened in Paris, many are excited and looking forward to similar. This thread typifies how deep our heads are in the sand, it is War make no mistake, we have to accept that.

Could you please name one nation that is excited about terrorism and looking forward to similar?

Some people maybe, I'll even grant you some 'organisations', but to speak of a whole nation doing so is just crass.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Thought this was about a minutes silence before Christmas Dinner.

P.S. On a serious note, if Turkey joined the EU the thought of open borders and free movement of citizens through the EU is worrying, to say the least, in light of recent events.

Ain't gonna happen,  now they've re-elected the very unpleasant "Islamist" Erdogan. His government has abandoned the lobbying to be put into the process that would get them in the waiting line for EU entry. Even if a future government resumed that process, they are decades away from meeting the economic and human rights criteria required.

'Culture'....it's a massive problem of understanding.

What is acceptable in one country is despised in others.

It's all very well letting immigrants into your country from the likes of Syria and Afghanistan...but they bring a culture with them that is not accepted by these host countries.

Forget watching agenda led media via the tv or popular papers...to get the real news of what's happening...you have to go and search for it. Then take a step back and see the story from all sides.

If you don't know about the custom of 'Chai boys' in Syria and other such countries, and the massive increase in rape victims in Sweden and who are responsible, then I suggest it maybe a good idea to read about such topics....and understanding that 'Culture' can depict many things...many not acceptable.

37 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

What a crock of shite. Turkey is a secular country that I have travelled around and the Turks are some of the nicest and most hospitable people you could ever meet.

If, as a nation, they are so supportive of terrorist attacks against the west then it makes you wonder why they don't just execute the 100,000s of tourists that visit the country every year from europe.

Thank you for the replies thus far.

So people were aware of this but I find it strange why hardly any comments were made on most social media sites, including this one.

Our media hardly made a point of informing me of this event. I'm sure if it was an England game and our supporters did likewise it would be front page news.

Obviously there are - as we can read from the above - many differing views and slants on this, but, I was rather 'naively' hoping that sport - in this case football - could have been the medium for a common good, helping to break down barriers and not build more.

1 minute ago, freezer said:

Obviously there are - as we can read from the above - many differing views and slants on this, but, I was rather 'naively' hoping that sport - in this case football - could have been the medium for a common good, helping to break down barriers and not build more.

The people building barriers are the ones spreading fake and malicious stories about how terribly Turkey has disrespected the victims in Paris, not the country itself.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What a crock of shite. Turkey is a secular country that I have travelled around and the Turks are some of the nicest and most hospitable people you could ever meet.

If, as a nation, they are so supportive of terrorist attacks against the west then it makes you wonder why they don't just execute the 100,000s of tourists that visit the country every year from europe.

Indeed they are Kid....some of the friendliest people I have ever met.

However...it's worth considering what I mentioned before....about culture.

I've met some of the kindest, friendliest people when travelling...but have been disgusted by what is acceptable by them as part of their 'culture'.

Many, many friendly kind people...but our differences in what is acceptable is often vast.

There in lies the biggest problem imho, of trying to create multi 'cultural' societies....as often 'culture' is over looked by law in other countries...but not in others.

7 minutes ago, freezer said:

Thank you for the replies thus far.

So people were aware of this but I find it strange why hardly any comments were made on most social media sites, including this one.

Our media hardly made a point of informing me of this event. I'm sure if it was an England game and our supporters did likewise it would be front page news.

I'm rather glad it's not being given media profile. What would be achieved other than stirring up emotions which could be totally at odds with the intentions of those who did boo? Sure the way they acted was utterly disrespectful as measured against our customs and cultures, but in theirs?  I don't know.

I think Andrew Neil sums it up for most of us in this clip from his spot on the BBC last night. I challenge anyone not to to agree with every word 

You'll need to click the video link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/andrew-neil-delivers-best-opening-address-ever-to-jihadist-losers-about-futility-of-isis-terror-a6741496.html

Probably the ultimate "Tell it like it is" you'll ever see on the BBC

Shame he'll probably get fired for saying it.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

This is not a dig at you BS4, but after 9/11 there were similar videos doing the rounds which were later proved to celebrations of something completely unrelated. it's very difficult to put timelines on these things so faking reactions is easily done.

Yep, I know lots of videos are circulated when anything happens and it is difficult to tell which are recent or real or whatever...

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

I think Andrew Neil sums it up for most of us in this clip from his spot on the BBC last night. I challenge anyone not to to agree with every word 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/andrew-neil-delivers-best-opening-address-ever-to-jihadist-losers-about-futility-of-isis-terror-a6741496.html

I don't think he will be fired. I can't remember agreeing with many things he has said before but this was pretty good. It almost descended into Norwegian commentator territory at one point though......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs  

3 hours ago, gordie said:

I read this on Facebook posted by 101 football (something like that) but they retracted the story after a Turkish supporter wrote in and basically said that is what they do in Turkey, they don't have a minutes silence but boo and sing against the terrorists, I'm not sure how true or untrue it is but it could possibly put a different slant on it, 

That is my understanding also

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They are, but as it where west meets east there is a division of opinion, I would hope that might be a better rhetoric than your crock of shite reply. I have spent time in the Middle East, and I understand there is virtually no support for the West, in any Arab country. Not to observe a minutes silence does not surprise me, or the waving of the IS flag either.

Even if they wanted to execute Westerners, which I doubt they do, would that not be counter productive to the tourist trade? 

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Thanks for putting this up, excellent.

Well thanks for the input people, you learn something every day.

Lots of differing opinions and viewpoints on this, but if Turkish fans do indeed show their respects by booing and singing during a 'minutes silence' then perhaps it's wording should be altered to encompass this.

Different cultures eh, it's so tricky nowadays adapting to suit.

Glad to be educated for future reference.

i do wonder though what would happen, if Turkey were for example playing an away match in a country that did observe a minutes silence - England for example - how this would be recognised?

Archived