IGNORED

Financial facts and figures - Championship

ciderup

Looking more closely at the figures these were for season 2013/14, ie the season when we were bottom of L1 under So'D, I'd missed that so probably explains why revenue so low. I'm sure it must have increased last season what with our Wembley final etc., and will increase again this season now we're in the Championship although I'm sure we'll still have quite a large loss. Perhaps we can do a Man City and get a massive sponsorship deal from Bristol Sport.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Looking more closely at the figures these were for season 2013/14, ie the season when we were bottom of L1 under So'D, I'd missed that so probably explains why revenue so low. I'm sure it must have increased last season what with our Wembley final etc., and will increase again this season now we're in the Championship although I'm sure we'll still have quite a large loss. Perhaps we can do a Man City and get a massive sponsorship deal from Bristol Sport.

Good spot. Haven't we got down overall debt since then as well?

Makes me look to the sky and give thanks for SL....

How many of those owners and holding company's are actual fans of the club, and if they are fans how many of those can and will continue to bankroll their clubs ad-infinitum ....OK SL was a Sag once upon a time, but we can brush over that on the basis he saw the light. We have a Football Club a Rugby Club a Basketball Club a Futsall Club and a motor racing organization all under the banner Bristol Sport....

Like it or not (and I very definitely do!) the whole concept ties everything together to make the overall brand and individual brands stronger with a major shareholder prepared to push money back into a City and Community that helped him make his billions...What would Cardiff NF et al give for that?

What a depressing race to the bottom.

The sad thing is there all just trying to borrow more than the next. If they all just said enough is enough they could all sort themselves.

What a selfish, greedy race we are.

Self destruction is our only blessing.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

What a depressing race to the bottom.

The sad thing is there all just trying to borrow more than the next. If they all just said enough is enough they could all sort themselves.

What a selfish, greedy race we are.

Self destruction is our only blessing.

Agreed. The endless justification of the watering down of our traditions in pursuit of keeping pace/spending more - because there is no other option - is the saddest thing in football. 

Every club dilutes it's traditions. If they all agreed some basic ground rules we could avoid it, everyone could spend a lot less and we'd still have what we wanted. 

Ultimately, all these additional facilities and the non-matchday revenue do is serve to increase the wages of players still further. Little else. 

1 hour ago, ciderup said:

I still don't understand how QPR have got away with totally ignoring FFP yet Forest and Blackburn are under embargoes for lesser 'crimes'? Is it a 'London' thing?

I'm convinced it is; and it goes back many years as well !

Here are a couple of examples which spring to mind, on top of this Q.P.R. matter, there are others though.

(i) Early 1990's, Swindle got relegated two divisions (haha !) for "financial irregularities" (some things never change !). Chelsea got a £50k fine for the same crime.

(ii) The Carlos Tevez affair. West Ham clearly broke the rules by playing a player who was owned by a third party. Sheffield United were relegated, when they should have stayed up. West Ham got away with a fine. 

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I'm convinced it is; and it goes back many years as well !

Here are a couple of examples which spring to mind, on top of this Q.P.R. matter, there are others though.

(i) Early 1990's, Swindle got relegated two divisions (haha !) for "financial irregularities" (some things never change !). Chelsea got a £50k fine for the same crime.

(ii) The Carlos Tevez affair. West Ham clearly broke the rules by playing a player who was owned by a third party. Sheffield United were relegated, when they should have stayed up. West Ham got away with a fine. 

QPR haven't just broken the rules, they've smashed them and they've openly admitted it and were dealt a £60M (?) fine. This has never been enforced and they're still allowed to sign players way above anything we can afford while carrying a nigh on £200M debt.

I wish the FL would grow a pair as QPR aren't really a big club IMHO, just a club living a long way above their station.

Can anyone explain this for me?

23 minutes ago, ciderup said:

QPR haven't just broken the rules, they've smashed them and they've openly admitted it and were dealt a £60M (?) fine. This has never been enforced and they're still allowed to sign players way above anything we can afford while carrying a nigh on £200M debt.

I wish the FL would grow a pair as QPR aren't really a big club IMHO, just a club living a long way above their station.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Whilst QPR have seemingly breached FFP I think the reason why it hasn't been enforced is because there's uncertainty whether FFP itself is compatible with a number of facets of EU law. If it is not compatible then it would be unenforceable.

It would seem QPR have very brazenly said 'fine us and we will challenge it through the Courts' and the FL have backed off.

9 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Whilst QPR have seemingly breached FFP I think the reason why it hasn't been enforced is because there's uncertainty whether FFP itself is compatible with a number of facets of EU law. If it is not compatible then it would be unenforceable.

It would seem QPR have very brazenly said 'fine us and we will challenge it through the Courts' and the FL have backed off.

Thanks 29AR. That's FFP dead then? Why do Forest and Blackburn still suffer their embargoes would be the next question?

1 minute ago, ciderup said:

Thanks 29AR. That's FFP dead then? Why do Forest and Blackburn still suffer their embargoes would be the next question?

I'm not really too sure if I'm honest. You'd think Forest and Blackburn would look at the QPR scenario and call foul play, although perhaps there are other elements at play in respect of them. I am presuming too that the reason QPR haven't been fined is because of their threat to challenge it.

As for FFP being dead it might not be because the next person that breaches it and takes a similar stance could be met with a court date so it could still act as a deterrent (albeit much less). To be honest I'm a bit surprised it's not gone to Court for certainty, especially as that could've been done amicably.

Thanks again 29AR.

Surely anyone else that threatens court could use the QPR debacle as an example thereby showing the FL for what it is? A lilly livered organisation?

I have nothing against QPR per-se but they aren't half sailing close to the wind! At some point, this has to be sorted out not left to fester as it is ATM. Maybe the FL want QPR to go back up when it becomes someone else's problem.

53 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Thanks again 29AR.

Surely anyone else that threatens court could use the QPR debacle as an example thereby showing the FL for what it is? A lilly livered organisation?

I have nothing against QPR per-se but they aren't half sailing close to the wind! At some point, this has to be sorted out not left to fester as it is ATM. Maybe the FL want QPR to go back up when it becomes someone else's problem.

It remains FL problem as it was the other championship clubs that were cheated by QPR getting promoted. The FL really are a toothless load of freeloaders.

1 hour ago, ciderup said:

Thanks again 29AR.

It is an odd situation. I should stress it is a complete presumption on my part that the reason for no fine yet is QPR's public stance of 'we will challenge you'. 

I personally support QPRs stance. Yes rules are rules, and I think I read these were even framed in conjunction with the League clubs, but it still has to comply with the existing legal framework. Anyone handing over £60m or whatever the fine is should be absolutely certain it is totally due. Less than that then perhaps I'd have more sympathy for the suggestions they should swallow their medicine, but as much £60m as a straight up penalty, no. It's too much and disproportionate imo.

Litigating it also need not be aggressive. There could even be an opt out of costs awards etc and both parties just accept we need to get the right answer, whatever it is. If FFP doesn't work the FL can work up something else, if it does QPR pay. In the meantime everyone can still be friends. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It is an odd situation. I should stress it is a complete presumption on my part that the reason for no fine yet is QPR's public stance of 'we will challenge you'. 

I personally support QPRs stance. Yes rules are rules, and I think I read these were even framed in conjunction with the League clubs, but it still has to comply with the existing legal framework. Anyone handing over £60m or whatever the fine is should be absolutely certain it is totally due. Less than that then perhaps I'd have more sympathy for the suggestions they should swallow their medicine, but as much £60m as a straight up penalty, no. It's too much and disproportionate imo.

Litigating it also need not be aggressive. There could even be an opt out of costs awards etc and both parties just accept we need to get the right answer, whatever it is. If FFP doesn't work the FL can work up something else, if it does QPR pay. In the meantime everyone can still be friends. 

Seems unfair that they can flout the rules to which the vast majority are trying to abide though? Especially with their level of, unsustainable, debt. On crowds of 18K (max), it sure seems one hell of alot of money!

Archived