IGNORED

The Officialy Derby County v Bristol City match thread (by popular demand)

Aizoon

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

My thoughts exactly......two 1-1 draws and this place would have been buzzing.

.....yet we get a win and a loss (with the extra point) and OTIB goes into meltdown.

Think it's the manner of the defeat - capitulation in a 35 min period and the managers post match interviews

This side lacks character - I've said before the manager indicates this regularly when he says how goals affect us

Sorry but true

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think it's the manner of the defeat - capitulation in a 35 min period and the managers post match interviews

This side lacks character - I've said before the manager indicates this regularly when he says how goals affect us

Sorry but true

It's the same side that steamrollered the league last season! What does character even mean anyway? When teams go on bad form all the cliches always come out. Can it not be that the team simply isn't good enough and the manager wasn't suitably backed?

16 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Right. Deep breath and - relax...

If somebody had offered me two points from those two away games, I'd have taken it. In fact, we got three. In terms of the table, losing 4-0 is much the same as losing 1-0; it just hurts more. 

We do need strengthening in the January window, but let's see what eventuates. 

Three points from the last two matches doesn't seem too bad, but three points from the last four matches isn't so good. Nineteen points from the last twenty one matches sounds even worse. 

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

It's the same side that steamrollered the league last season! What does character even mean anyway? When teams go on bad form all the cliches always come out. Can it not be that the team simply isn't good enough and the manager wasn't suitably backed?

Last time we came from behind to win a game ???? 

Thats an example of the character I'm talking about

Listen to his interviews about how goals 'effect' us

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Could it also just be that most other teams in this league are better than us, on and off the pitch?

Hopefully, the next two games might be better for us. I'd take 3 points from them right now.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Last time we came from behind to win a game ???? 

Thats an example of the character I'm talking about

Listen to his interviews about how goals 'effect' us

This is true but we didn't need to come back from behind last season because we were too busy dominating everybody. And this season is a different kettle of fish because the team simply isn't good enough. It's not a fair test in my opinion. It's not lacking character, it's lacking quality.

22 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Right. Deep breath and - relax...

If somebody had offered me two points from those two away games, I'd have taken it. In fact, we got three. In terms of the table, losing 4-0 is much the same as losing 1-0; it just hurts more. 

We do need strengthening in the January window, but let's see what eventuates. 

Decent point. 2 hard fought 1-1 draws would feel much more positive despite being worse overall.

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

This is true but we didn't need to come back from behind last season because we were too busy dominating everybody. And this season is a different kettle of fish because the team simply isn't good enough. It's not a fair test in my opinion. It's not lacking character, it's lacking quality.

Both

We got on a unstoppable roll last year but Colchester could have slipped into the middle of this season - watch how many heads go down Sat if we concede first and watch how many players are geeing each other up - 

im uncomfortable feeling that way but it's true 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Both

We got on a unstoppable roll last year but Colchester could have slipped into the middle of this season - watch how many heads go down Sat if we concede first and watch how many players are geeing each other up - 

You're probably right, but if I'd be the same if I was in a substandard team! Either way, if there is a lack of self-belief, it is not through the fault of the manager, who by all accounts was desperate to improve the squad. You could argue that it is the manager's job to instill this self belief, which is correct, but in all fairness we probably have one of the best managers around to do that! It's clearly not working at the moment but there are very few who could do better in that department. 'Arry isn't realistic, Hollowhead... nope, Colin.... perhaps.

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Playing 4 centre half's and our wing backs as wingers. Not to mention Freeman, just another game of nothing.

Wow so because they've played as wing backs earlier in the season it's ridiculous to play them as wingers? Where they both are equally if not more comfortable?

For 40 mins we actually looked alright, we weren't threatening too much but we were doing a pretty good job of nullifying them. Then Tom Ince does that and all that good work has gone down the pan. Incidentally I met a few friends who are Derby fans before the game and they said Ince has been poor all season,that figures. 

2nd half we came out and for 10/15 mins played some decent football but again lacked any goal threat. We put in a couple of decent balls into the box with absolutely nobody there. I've read that the formation was supposed to be 4-3-3, IMO it wasn't as Agard spent most of the first 75 mins isolated and running around aimlessly. Cotts not for the first time IMO left it too late and once the 2nd went in that was game over,we crumbled. 

Thought Flint was good first half, made so many headed clearances. Thought Freeman was better tonight than he's been recently. Looked a bit sharper and more confident.

Does anyone know if Joe Bryan has been reported as missing yet as his name was on the team sheet but I never saw him on the pitch

6 hours ago, Flagon said:

Thing is the team is the team for the foreseeable future. We just got to get on with supporting them through it and look forward to better times.

True, but had I known he was going to play agard on his own in 5-4-1 I'm not sure I would have bothered to make the trip. That's a tactical error- we will never succeed playing for a draw. We have to have someone at the end of our attacks and set pieces. If we'd have scored early second half when we were on top, it could have been different. But we were toothless up front. 

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Poor night, definite 4 at the back with Bryan and Bennett there to support Agard sort of 4-3-3 but was really 4-5-1

Held them quite comfortably for 40 mins but offered nothing bar one scramble up front, started 2nd half with more intent but as soon as 2nd goal went in just gave up and collapsed

Accepted the formation change but the wide men did nothing, Agard totally the wrong man to play up front on his own, midfield poorist i've seen all three looked lost and out of their depth generally. On the positive Baker and Flint worked ok as a back two but thats about it. Had a 'we had won at Huddersfield so we'll change things around and see what happens as we're lose anyway' feel about it, presume Wilbs and Kodgy were not fit as not changing it when 1 or 2 nil down just suggested they had given up, pity they didn't tell the 400 odd who travelled beforehand.....

Fielding Maybe should have done better for a couple of those goals punched a few too many instead catching

Moore  Solid enough defensively probably the best he's played

Flint Excellent and committed read the game bar one chance and easily held Bent

Baker like Flint was pretty commanding

Williams looked relatively solid until losing shape late on

Bryan Anonomous really, ideal to provide a threat from the flank provided none

Smith  Caught in possession on occasions good workrate but over run

Pack Poor gave the ball or caught for two goals too slow

Freeman  Usual run with the ball get caught some decent touches but overall should do more

Bennett like Bryan never got going provided no support

Agard  Ran around but was like a fish out of water in that role 

Agree with xerox6060, really disappointing night.  Never nice to go down 4-0 but would have preferred us to go at them and try and win the game.

Worried about the form of Bryan and particularly freeman who I expected to do well this season. 

Cotts was strangely subdued on the bench, sat down for most of the game and waited until we were 3 down before making a change.

Left the match after the 4th goal went in as we'd given up and it was hard to watch.

Need a big performance on Sat..

1 hour ago, redfieldred said:

True, but had I known he was going to play agard on his own in 5-4-1 I'm not sure I would have bothered to make the trip. That's a tactical error- we will never succeed playing for a draw. We have to have someone at the end of our attacks and set pieces. If we'd have scored early second half when we were on top, it could have been different. But we were toothless up front. 

Yeah I'm not talking about blindly supporting and not voicing concerns opinions etc but we've got a long season ahead with pretty much these players so just as we expect them to give their all we got to aswell, but it is difficult. As you say, I was also surprised at the set up away from home and against 4th placed team. I'm not sure what Cotts was hoping for really especially with Agard isolated. All season and last  we've been hearing that we always play for the 3 points, we don't fear anyone etc but I don't think it was great time to experiment. Maybe Kodjia, Ayling were carrying knocks or shattered, especially after conditions Saturday so I just hope the change is as good as a rest and the team can regroup and get something from the next few games. We gave good account of ourselves against Burnley, Boro, Hull and Brighton so not sure why the belief wasn't there and we couldn't just set up as we have done.

Awkward run really. QPR, Charlton, Burnley, Reading, Preston. They've really got to get it together for these ones, especially those first two at home. Definitely winnable but if they don't there will probably start to be a gap from Leeds down which will leave us treading water no matter how much effort goes in.

I still believe we will stay up.

17 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

How, FFS, cou say Derby is 'nice'??

It's a *it*** toilet - with respect.

Uncle TFR

Inclined to believe you on this one - now that it's clear during last nights game they actually did a number one & a number two on us - not once but bloody twice - the dirty buggers. 

No wonder Cotts appeared to have gone potty afterwards. 

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Both

Most performances in sports are due to what goes on in the head more so than the physical side , where most sportsmen and women are pretty much equal at professional level .

This is why i'm concerned at the messages coming out of the club , "  we're  not good enough " says the manager , " the first goal is crucial " says a player .

**** No . To quote Troy McClure's character from the Simpsons " Get confident , Stupid " 

We are going to Hell in a handcart and we have our excuses already .

No , No And No .Stop feeling sorry for yourselves Cotterill and co and start performing like you can .

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Most performances in sports are due to what goes on in the head more so than the physical side , where most sportsmen and women are pretty much equal at professional level .

This is why i'm concerned at the messages coming out of the club , "  we're  not good enough " says the manager , " the first goal is crucial " says a player .

**** No . To quote Troy McClure's character from the Simpsons " Get confident , Stupid " 

We are going to Hell in a handcart and we have our excuses already .

No , No And No .Stop feeling sorry for yourselves Cotterill and co and start performing like you can .

well said youve made my eyes water

14 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

My thoughts exactly......two 1-1 draws and this place would have been buzzing.

.....yet we get a win and a loss (with the extra point) and OTIB goes into meltdown.

Yes!  But it's the manner of the loss and another 4 goals against, It could and very much might come down to GD at the end of the season and the way we are shipping goals does not give anyone any confidence ATM.

14 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes!  But it's the manner of the loss and another 4 goals against, It could and very much might come down to GD at the end of the season and the way we are shipping goals does not give anyone any confidence ATM.

Even assuming that it does bugger up our GD (a huge assumption), it's still 2 1/2 points rather than 2.

Archived