IGNORED

we can't compete

stephenkibby.

13 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Perhaps Lansdown has told him there's no money or very little to strengthen in January and that may have been the issue last summer but will we ever know.

I cant see how money is an issue; we were going huge money for Gray so the money's there.

Also, if SL is not willing to finance/support SC, then why go ahead with the redevelopment of the ground?  We aren't redeveloping that for life in the 1st.

9 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

And how many years did it take for Bournemouth to get to the Prem? Decades! It can be done but we shouldn't think it's our God-given right. This season was always going to be a struggle

At no point did I say we should be in the Prem or show any signs that we are entitled, my point was simply that saying "we can't compete" is bullsh*t! If others can compete then so can we, especially when we have such a dedicated owner. The problem obviously stems either from the boardroom or the manager because when I see Flint showing more heart than many of our players have shown in the past 6-8 years you can see the players don't want to be where we are. I see a lot of heart from the players, I even see it from Cotterill but what I don't see is strategy and organisation off of the field.

25 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Well I ended up in the home end last night after a colleague had a spare ticket and all I can say is that the derby fans at half time weren't very happy. They couldn't believe why they weren't tonking us and were lucky to be 1 up after a very even first half. Freeman probably played the best he had all season apart from losing the ball twice that led to two of the goals. It was after that second goal went in that we turned to being a shower of sh@@ suddenly they just looked totally deflated and couldn't be bothered attitude, totally void of any fighting spirit what so ever. It was then you could see it was gonna be a wrought and not pretty.

Does SC look broken ... Perhaps Lansdown has told him there's no money or very little to strengthen in January and that may have been the issue last summer but will we ever know.

Maybe he shouldn't have built 2 new stands then and spent it on a team to fill then first

14 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I cant see how money is an issue; we were going huge money for Gray so the money's there.

Also, if SL is not willing to finance/support SC, then why go ahead with the redevelopment of the ground?  We aren't redeveloping that for life in the 1st.

It's not just about football at AG anymore though is it.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst I find your love of SC admirable... it surely is based on what he has done over the last two seasons?

You cannot deny the facts of this season.

We have the worst goal difference and are leaking goals for fun.

Look at any league...and it is generally the teams that concede the most that go down.

We've had a nightmare recruiting this season...and imho, that is what is killing us.

Now whether that's SC's fault or the boards or both...it's never been publicly documented...but there have been 'rumours'.

So if it's not SC's fault...do you blame the owner and Board? Because someone cocked up. And the buck stops at either them or SC.

No one will have it that we have been run poorly for many years...so it's not SL's fault...not the boards...and not SC's...so who's bloody fault is it then...because it's been awful for years.

Managers come and go...SL and board are ever present.

I don't think the best manager in the world could pull this Club into the Prem...let alone consolidate in the Championship.

As for '3 teams worse than us'...you honestly think SL wanted or predicted that?

Him, SC and even Freeman a couple weeks ago were talking of play offs.

When you've got an ex City player taking the time to come on here and say it's the worst he's seen as a player or fan...than that says a lot.

Think that over for a minute.

SC is out of his depth in this league...and imho...the owner and board are clueless too.

They would rather have a Ferrari with a mini engine...than a mini with a Ferrari engine...if you get my drift.

The lot of em down there in charge are bonkers imho.

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

In saying that...can see us beating QPR and masking over the cracks again for another couple weeks.

Sorry ive bitten  

"I don't think the best manager in the world could pull this club into the prem"

so was it the board or Lansdowns fault that Windass scored against us? I didn't think Johnson was a world beater but he nearly managed it?

Again you talk like you know things and apparently everybody in football. Yet don't say what or who.

9 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

What I find amazing is that those who have been harping on about Cott's refusal to change the formation and play 4 at the back, now say what did he expect,  changing the formation.

I don't think people are complaining about playing 4 at the back. It's the rest of the formation that's the problem. Playing 1 up front can work, but not with the midfield  we had, and not with Agard as the lone striker

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Honest assessment. No excuses and absolutely fuming by the looks of things. Admire him for that. 

On to the next. Few more grenades and hopefully things start to improve, similar to the period after that Sheffield utd debacle. Can only play that card so many times though.

What did Jose say? Maybe last season I got them playing better than they actually are........ similar here? Ok we've lost a couple who haven't been replaced but none of our key players have really raised their games as I had expected. 

Gutted for him, gutted for us. Would hate to see him go though as that would be just another failure. I really think his hands are tied and he is being gagged.

I don't know anything but feel he knows he isn't going to get the players he wants/needs in January either. Did he put out the team last night to prove how little we have in the squad, take away Kodjia and we don't look like scoring at all.

I've written elsewhere that we can't be looking attractive to players now, we didn't even convince them to come on the back of a promotion, so what chance now. We will have to pay over the odds in fees and wages which I can't see happening (might have well done it back in the summer) or we will scrabble around for loans of players who don't fit well at other clubs.

I've also said elsewhere that we need Championship players, not players who play in the Championship. Right now we are well short of those and it shows.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:
9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spike - not having a go, honestly.  But I've heard Bournemouth were paying stupid money last season...they have a wealthy Russian (I think) behind them.  I accept they have come from nothing prior to his involvement.  They must be paying some money to bring in Distin, Murray, King, whilst keeping Ritchie, Wilson...notwithstanding Mears and Gradel.

Southampton were also heavily financially backed by some bloke who died in their recent rise, but were long established before that.

Norwich have had a 20k fan base for years, and have been in and out of Prem since its start do have benefitted from parachutes a lot

Swansea I don't know much about their finances.

I thought we'd do better too.

They have both gone from being where we are to being able to spend big money, that's my point. Our restrictions seem to come from the FFP, not from our actual lack of money. So what it comes down to is how Swansea and Bournemouth got to where they are and that was through good appointments and a well run club, which is something we seem to be lacking. When it comes to the crunch we hold onto managers through mislead loyalty for too long and there is obviously something not right at boardroom level either as whilst other clubs come on leaps and bounds we're like a yoyo, one good decision for every one bad one.

I'm not saying there is a simple solution but what I am saying is how many times have people been able to see something is not right at the club and yet nothing changes until it's too late to make a difference. This club needs to stop being so lost each time things don't go it's way, some bold decisions and conviction needs to come from somewhere.

38 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Well I ended up in the home end last night after a colleague had a spare ticket and all I can say is that the derby fans at half time weren't very happy. They couldn't believe why they weren't tonking us and were lucky to be 1 up after a very even first half. Freeman probably played the best he had all season apart from losing the ball twice that led to two of the goals. It was after that second goal went in that we turned to being a shower of sh@@ suddenly they just looked totally deflated and couldn't be bothered attitude, totally void of any fighting spirit what so ever. It was then you could see it was gonna be a wrought and not pretty.

Does SC look broken ... Perhaps Lansdown has told him there's no money or very little to strengthen in January and that may have been the issue last summer but will we ever know.

Interesting read... who knows if Baker had showed a little more determination and coordination to stab home that chance at the back post 2 mins before Derby's first then things might have turned out different.  But very worrying that we capitulated in the 2nd half.

Cotts "we can't compete" I don't buy, we competing at Boro and won, we competed at Brighton and should have won, so why could he not show belief in the side that had just won at Huddersfield and kept an unchanged side to see if we could have competed. Had we done that and gone down with a narrow defeat it would have been a lot less damaging than this result! 

10 hours ago, harrys said:

Very poor interview, why wasn't he asked why he dropped our top scorer and why he changed the system after Saturdays victory, once that team was announced I'm afraid there was only going to be 1 result

Probably because the club's own website isn't going to seek possible negative PR by asking questions like that. And you don't ask those kind of questions when a manager is clearly on one. Simple.

10 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Let's just carry on into league 1.... FFS

It's just as well the season isn't judged over the last four games isn't it :facepalm:

Some thoughts..........

Up to they scored just before ht we were clearly still well in the game restricting Derby to not very much. I thought that if we were still in the game after 70 minutes he would bring on wibs and Kodjia and give it a go. That all changed of course after the 2ng goal. 

Strange decision to bring on Reid at 3-0 (?). I've said it before that if Bobby is in the squad after Christmas then we will have not strengthened sufficiently and will likely go down  

Difference between Ince and Freeman was immense. Proved that to complete in this league you have to spend big and pay big wages. 

Back 4 did OK. The midfield was awful throughout with only Bennett and Smith completing effectively. 2 midfielders required in January with Pack and Freeman squad players. 

4 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Some thoughts..........

Up to they scored just before ht we were clearly still well in the game restricting Derby to not very much. I thought that if we were still in the game after 70 minutes he would bring on wibs and Kodjia and give it a go. That all changed of course after the 2ng goal. 

Strange decision to bring on Reid at 3-0 (?). I've said it before that if Bobby is in the squad after Christmas then we will have not strengthened sufficiently and will likely go down  

Difference between Ince and Freeman was immense. Proved that to complete in this league you have to spend big and pay big wages. 

Back 4 did OK. The midfield was awful throughout with only Bennett and Smith completing effectively. 2 midfielders required in January with Pack and Freeman squad players. 

Totally agree with the midfield, clearly must be the weakest in the league. Pack will never be good enough at this level and Freeman looks out of his depth. If this is not addressed in Jan we are doomed.

No, we can't compete with Derby. Just as the likes of Crewe, Gillingham and Port Vale couldn't compete with us last season. We're not in that fight at the moment, we're in our own.

Last night was always going to be tough. Maybe the normal tactics would have got us a point, but they could just as easily have seen us 4-0 down at half time.

There have been calls on here for months to try some new tactics, to switch to a back 4, to solidify a bit. Well last night was as good a time as any to try that out. It can hardly be called a great success but we were hardly likely to get anything anyway. It was far more important to beat Huddersfield, who we are in a battle with, than to take points off Derby, who we are not.

All of us, Cotterill included, have to accept that we are some way off being a top side in this league and if the players aren't playing at 110% they are going to get turned over. His interview could well have been a way of making that point to his players: you are not good enough to get by without putting in the effort, so don't go thinking you are.

What we have to do now is hold tight and try to stay up. Signings in January would be useful but if they're overpriced and we can't have them then so be it. An experienced midfielder would be a very useful addition. I'd be considering asking Wade Elliot to come out of retirement if we can't get anyone else in. I wouldn't change the manager right now because I think we have a good one and there are few better out there who would come in the current situation.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Totally agree with the midfield, clearly must be the weakest in the league. Pack will never be good enough at this level and Freeman looks out of his depth. If this is not addressed in Jan we are doomed.

10 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Some thoughts..........

How dare you criticise pack. Don't you realise he is the greatest midfielder the world has ever known. He is the sole reason we are as high as we are. Had we not signed him, we'd be playing non league football today. I hear he is off to Barcelona in January to be the first £100 million player.*

:-/ :-/ :-/ 

* or so he is made out on here and social media.

He should be playing like we don't need another central midfielder, not playing like he plays because there is nobody else. It's sheer complacency. There needs to be competition for places, which we simply don't have.

28 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Interesting read... who knows if Baker had showed a little more determination and coordination to stab home that chance at the back post 2 mins before Derby's first then things might have turned out different.  But very worrying that we capitulated in the 2nd half.

Cotts "we can't compete" I don't buy, we competing at Boro and won, we competed at Brighton and should have won, so why could he not show belief in the side that had just won at Huddersfield and kept an unchanged side to see if we could have competed. Had we done that and gone down with a narrow defeat it would have been a lot less damaging than this result! 

SC said before the game that a number of the squad had heavy colds.

How much this effected (or dictated) team selection or formation change isn't clear but obviously if there's a virus going around the squad it forces the managers' hand to some extent.

Plus it's been fairly obvious for some time that Kodjia, suffering with a cold or not, needed a break.

The interview with SC after the game is worrying, he looked shot, devoid of answers

In a couple of weeks he's going to be sat down in front of potential new players and sell them the Bristol City story, I hope to God that they don't watch this video first

I'm still of the opinion that SC will keep us up, I would hate to see us change manager at this time of year, I'm not sure who is out there who will come in and do anything different with the squad available. Massive 6 weeks coming up for everyone, if we are still down there come 31st Jan and the squad hasn't been improved then I'm a worried man. I really hope that SC is backed in the window, 3 or 4 PERMANENT signings, in the correct areas, are needed

Presume Cox goes back on 1st Jan? I'd love to know how much we've paid for him to warm the bench, that seems like an incredibly odd decision. Moore goes back too, I think? Robinson may as well go, not sure if he's here for the season or not?

10 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

We've got exactly what I expected.

Start a season in a higher division with a weaker core squad, plugged with loan signings. Recipe for disaster. I'm not sure what happened in the summer, although the COE left pretty sharpish in September. I haven't seen any comments from the chairman telling us we've planned for all this. Cotterill has looked despondent almost every time I've seen him this season, he knows the squad isn't good enough. I don't think it's his fault, lets hope the board get on with providing the money in January and keep their noses out of everything else, as it should be.    

not too far from the truth KR

51 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Some thoughts..........

I think this is just as much of an issue. The back 4/5 are all ok most games, but are seriously lacking a leader. I'm thinking a player with an impact like Bikey had a few years back. Came in and completely dominated the defence. Flint and Baker both look like dominant defenders but really aren't leaders and we drastically need leaders. An experienced CB and CM are both high priority. 

Just seen SC interview from last night and my thoughts are that he has had enough of putting so much faith in some of the players that got us here last season as time and time again they have let him down and he looked a broken man to me. 

Should he be sacked? Not a bloody chance he really does care about this club and will do his upmost to keep us in this division, and I think he probably will with a League 1 squad.

I know it was the edited version but to me that entire interview clip had shades of John Ward.  He came across as a beaten man and therefore I think the end result is near inevitable.

It is difficult to know what happened in the summer with so little comment from the board, but they showed that they were willing to throw money (stupidly and recklessly by the time we panicked) at the squad.  I think huge questions have to be asked about our scouting network.  Did well to identify players within our budget last season, but this season seem to have struggled.  There's no point identifying players who we cannot afford, like Gayle & Grey.

The right targets weren't identified early enough, or weren't moved for early enough when we were an attractive proposition.  That left us with a threadbare squad.  We just needed an average championship squad this year, not a great one.  Recruitment was the problem, but I refuse to believe that we had a list of realistic targets and every single one, bar JK, were allowed to be snapped up.  Identification of the right players seems to me to have been the issue and that comes down to the management team, not just SC, not just the board.  Burt, Cotts, scouting network and communication to and from the board as a whole would be my guess.

I think that was one of those games where SC should have sent out John Pemberton to do the post match Interview.   SC goes through an emotional roller coaster during games and his hatred of losing or even drawing is a strenth.  Another strength has been to get the best out of players by building confidence.  Saying that we couldn't compete and not adding 'on the day' wasn't in tune with his usual style.  Understandable but wrong. 

We can compete as we did against Middlesborough and Brighton.  We can even outplay premier sides as we did with West Ham last season although, admittedly, we have a weaker squad than last year with the loss of JET, Wade Elliot, Greg Cunningham and Matt Smith.  Two of those players are potential match winners and Wade had the guile and character needed even if used more sparingly.  There's been some call on here to switch for 3-5-2 and the one thing that last night showed was that the players were recruited for that system and we need to stick to it.

City can survive this season with some strengthening but there has to be a sign that the board and the manager are unified and, for the first time, the manager needs to show he still backs the players whilst planning to strengthen the spine of the team.  I think someone said SL is due to give an interview on Geoff Twentyman this week.  That should be overdue and it's been long over due that fans have been unable to get some understanding of Championship strategy and managerial backing.

People read waaaaay too much into post-game interviews with managers.  They look for body language,  tone and analyse every word.

Steve is a passionate man who will have been as gutted by that loss as the rest of us. Especially as until the ultra soft comedy 2nd and 3rd goals went in, we appeared to have a chance of at least losing with dignity or perhaps even snatching a point.  He also might be suffering from this virus. There's a lot of it about. I'm under-the-weather right now.

I think his comments at the start of the season about how tough this league is to compete in were spot on. Since we were last in it,  parachute payments have increased and there are more clubs getting them. We also came in with a lower FFP wage cap than we might have had due to the ground restrictions last season. 

The fact that all three promoted L1 teams are not in the relegation zone shows that you can just about struggle through your difficult first season. 

I'm not being complacent.  We need to strengthen and ensure we are the best of those three. 

Cotts got it wrong with his one up front experiment.  But as Noggers points out , circumstances may have dictated that first choices weren't played.

Reflecting on that interview in the cold light of day, I hope that was a message to the players rather than anyone else. They aren't competing individually or as a team and need a good kick up the arse. 

As a Club, there is no reason why we shouldn't be competing with the Preston's, Brentford's and other smaller or similar sized/resourced clubs to ourselves. My fear, given the U18 debacle against Cardiff, the continuing series of defeats of our U21 side, the 'noise' associated with the entire Academy set up and total absence of any ability of our 'scouting network' (if we have one) to unearth real talent - local or otherwise - is the total set up is unfit for purpose ( as it has been for decades).

Why? It seems more decision making and priorities than access to resources. Is it a series of manager's and their support staff calling the wrong shots? Is it the CEO? Does it go beyond that? I haven't got the answers. All I can see is without goal scorers, an anonymous midfield, porous defence and an uncertain keeper we are serious shit and the direction is just one way. 

Surely the CEO has responsibility to undertake regular overviews of the Club's entire performance and produce recommendations for the owner. Is this happening? Is there a competence to undertake this work?

Time for people to raise their game, and significantly.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst I find your love of SC admirable... it surely is based on what he has done over the last two seasons?

You cannot deny the facts of this season.

We have the worst goal difference and are leaking goals for fun.

Look at any league...and it is generally the teams that concede the most that go down.

We've had a nightmare recruiting this season...and imho, that is what is killing us.

Now whether that's SC's fault or the boards or both...it's never been publicly documented...but there have been 'rumours'.

So if it's not SC's fault...do you blame the owner and Board? Because someone cocked up. And the buck stops at either them or SC.

No one will have it that we have been run poorly for many years...so it's not SL's fault...not the boards...and not SC's...so who's bloody fault is it then...because it's been awful for years.

Managers come and go...SL and board are ever present.

I don't think the best manager in the world could pull this Club into the Prem...let alone consolidate in the Championship.

As for '3 teams worse than us'...you honestly think SL wanted or predicted that?

Him, SC and even Freeman a couple weeks ago were talking of play offs.

When you've got an ex City player taking the time to come on here and say it's the worst he's seen as a player or fan...than that says a lot.

Think that over for a minute.

SC is out of his depth in this league...and imho...the owner and board are clueless too.

They would rather have a Ferrari with a mini engine...than a mini with a Ferrari engine...if you get my drift.

The lot of em down there in charge are bonkers imho.

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

In saying that...can see us beating QPR and masking over the cracks again for another couple weeks.

My support for SC is because:

1. I support this club.

2. I know from somebody very close to me who was there for several months from when SC joined that he is hard working, doing his best, is a good coach, yes a good coach, a good manager, and despite what you have said is well liked and respected by his players.

3. Yes of course based on the last 2 seasons, is that not good enough?

Last nights' interview is the most emotional any of us have seen Cotterill. Despite his stated loathing of social media he will read what's on here and anyone not affected by it would not by human and is bound to be affected by it. So the constant unwarranted criticism is counter productive to the success of the club which we are supposed to love.

Anyone who truly wants Bristol City to succeed should be behind him not constantly putting the knife in.

You and others have made comments and predictions about Cotterill from day one which have proved to be utter dog shite.

So I hope Steve reads the supportive posts and understands this is what the majority of City fans believe not a handful of negative self appointed experts.

You don't think much of Cotterill and you don't think much of the board. I wont comment on the latter as I have done plenty of that in the past but if the board are so bad, as you say, would you not agree that it makes Cotterill's remarkable success from December 2013 to May 2015 even more commendable?

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

My support for SC is because:

1. I support this club.

2. I know from somebody very close to me who was there for several months from when SC joined that he is hard working, doing his best, is a good coach, yes a good coach, a good manager, and despite what you have said is well liked and respected by his players.

3. Yes of course based on the last 2 seasons, is that not good enough?

Last nights' interview is the most emotional any of us have seen Cotterill. Despite his stated loathing of social media he will read what's on here and anyone not affected by it would not by human and is bound to be affected by it. So the constant unwarranted criticism is counter productive to the success of the club which we are supposed to love.

Anyone who truly wants Bristol City to succeed should be behind him not constantly putting the knife in.

You and others have made comments and predictions about Cotterill from day one which have proved to be utter dog shite.

So I hope Steve reads the supportive posts and understands this is what the majority of City fans believe not a handful of negative self appointed experts.

You don't think much of Cotterill and you don't think much of the board. I wont comment on the latter as I have done plenty of that in the past but if the board are so bad, as you say, would you not agree that it makes Cotterill's remarkable success from December 2013 to May 2015 even more commendable?

Do you know whether he reads this forum? If I were manager I'd find it very hard not to have a glance once and again

I'm going to try to offer a more positive perspective amongst the doom and gloom.

I understand the concern - clearly we are in a battle to survive - but what I don't understand is why some on here are so convinced WE will definitely be relegated but not the three teams currently sat below us in the table - or perhaps even one or two of the seven teams above us within six points (just two wins).  Comments like "we're on a one way ticket to League One" or "I just don't see how we will survive without improving" don't tell the full story - our situation needs to be viewed against the context of the teams around us.  I am not trying to sugar coat the situation, I know we are not great - but actually, are we worse than those around us?  Both the form book and the league table suggests not....

Looking over the last 10 games:-

City: W2, D3, L5, Pts 9

Charlton: W2, D2, L6, Pts 8

Rotherham: W2, D1, L7, Pts 7

Bolton: W0, D5, L5, Pts 5

So, our form is marginally better than those below us.  Despite everything, if the season continues on its current trend, we will finish in 21st spot and survive - surely something we would all take right now.

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm going to try to offer a more positive perspective amongst the doom and gloom.

I understand the concern - clearly we are in a battle to survive - but what I don't understand is why some on here are so convinced WE will definitely be relegated but not the three teams currently sat below us in the table - or perhaps even one or two of the seven teams above us within six points (just two wins).  Comments like "we're on a one way ticket to League One" or "I just don't see how we will survive without improving" don't tell the full story - our situation needs to be viewed against the context of the teams around us.  I am not trying to sugar coat the situation, I know we are not great - but actually, are we worse than those around us?  Both the form book and the league table suggests not....

Looking over the last 10 games:-

City: W2, D3, L5, Pts 9

Charlton: W2, D2, L6, Pts 8

Rotherham: W2, D1, L7, Pts 7

Bolton: W0, D5, L5, Pts 5

So, our form is marginally better than those below us.  Despite everything, if the season continues on its current trend, we will finish in 21st spot and survive - surely something we would all take right now.

For me CR its our liking for a capitulation that worries me - I know we were at Derby and Bolton were at Charlton but when Bolton went two down I didn't give them a prayer with all the current goings on but they battled back for a point

Can you see this side doing that at any point this season ?

I can't sadly

SC keeps alluding to how goals affect us and we are getting to the stage home or away where if the opposition score first we are in big trouble

Im not sure that's the case with the sides around us tbh

I can understand the change of formation / idea last night, could have accepted a battling defeat, no great problem but it's that capitulation and, for me, the post match interview on top that really concerns me right now

If I'm honest I'm not sure the way forward from here but then none of us know the answers to a number of questions that would influence a decision

Not sure the players will like or be inspired by the post match reaction and personally feel that could be a watershed moment in the season one way or another 

Hope I'm wrong and SC can improve the performance of our current squad AND get a number of quality additions in January (If they are not already lined up now I can't see it happening in a sufficient way)

In both respects I have severe doubts

I pray that I'm wrong and that I will be eating humble pie from here to May and beyond

Archived