IGNORED

we can't compete

stephenkibby.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

See I disagree, look at how many teams have proven that finances do not restrict you if your club is being run well and the recruitment /coaching etc is good enough. Southampton, Swansea, Norwich, Bournemouth all in the Premier League, all had poor finances at one point and were seen as small. They didn't get where they are by splashing cash, they got there through building a solid club backbone and working hard. Yes money makes things easier but there are a lot of teams who have had worse finances than us and done a lot better than we have.

I'm not saying we should be top of the league, but we sure as hell shouldn't be struggling so much after having the season we did in our last.

Spike - not having a go, honestly.  But I've heard Bournemouth were paying stupid money last season...they have a wealthy Russian (I think) behind them.  I accept they have come from nothing prior to his involvement.  They must be paying some money to bring in Distin, Murray, King, whilst keeping Ritchie, Wilson...notwithstanding Mears and Gradel.

Southampton were also heavily financially backed by some bloke who died in their recent rise, but were long established before that.

Norwich have had a 20k fan base for years, and have been in and out of Prem since its start do have benefitted from parachutes a lot

Swansea I don't know much about their finances.

I thought we'd do better too.

If the fight's gone, we are doomed.

I suggest the man has a good nights sleep and see how the land lies in the morning.  He's lost his nerve there tonight, that's for sure.

We could well be doomed anyway if we make a replacement, ala SOD 2013.  

The board do not have a proven track record when it comes to managerial changes, I dread to think what might happen if we do make the change.

6 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

It's bloody embarrassing.... Fans of most other clubs would be up in arms...

This place is turning into one of those spiritual retreats where one goes to find one self.... Not for me, get in the real bloody world!!

I've been on some retreats like you mention and trust me, this is nothing like one. 

1 hour ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Saturday could have gone either way, we could easily have lost that too.. Do you think Cotts is showing the correct attitude to bouy up his team at the moment and drag us out of this mess? The constant negatives are appalling..

knob!!

Just out of interest, did you do these things:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/159440-the-end/

8 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

If the fight's gone, we are doomed.

I suggest the man has a good nights sleep and see how the land lies in the morning.  He's lost his nerve there tonight, that's for sure.

We could well be doomed anyway if we make a replacement, ala SOD 2013.  

The board do not have a proven track record when it comes to managerial changes, I dread to think what might happen if we do make the change.

Your probably right mate, the thoughts of the next possible appointment is a veryscary thought.. We could end up with anyone and more than likely a nightmare appointment, I really do t know what to suggest other than this club has managed to find shit street again very quickly!!

Answer me this, if we stick with Cotts how do we think he's going to be able to pick this team up and attract the right players to move us forward in January?

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

You've got far to much time on your hands mate, scouring through old posts of mine... Get yourself a life!

Says the man who spends most of his making negative comments about the manager.

You should learn google, took about 10 seconds to discover which of the constant moaners on here have had an anti-Cotterill agenda from day one.

Anyway what is the answer, did you really do that?

15 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Your probably right mate, the thoughts of the next possible appointment is a veryscary thought.. We could end up with anyone and more than likely a nightmare appointment, I really do t know what to suggest other than this club has managed to find shit street again very quickly!!

Answer me this, if we stick with Cotts how do we think he's going to be able to pick this team up and attract the right players to move us forward in January?

As far as I'm concerned we're skirting close to the wind.  I'm not claiming to know what the solutions are, bloody hell, I'd be straight on to the club if I did!

What we know from experience is that, for whatever reason, we've struggled in the transfer market at this level since Gary Johnson pulled a rabbit out of the hat in 2008.

If we don't stick with Cotterill, what makes you think this is going to change, may I ask?

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Says the man who spends most of his making negative comments about the manager.

You should learn google, took about 10 seconds to discover which of the constant moaners on here have had an anti-Cotterill agenda from day one.

Anyway what is the answer, did you really do that?

No I've still got a family season ticket... I think I'll cut my long association with a season ticket short next season, not enough ambition at this club, clearly!!

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

No I've still got a family season ticket... I think I'll cut my long association with a season ticket short next season, not enough ambition at this club, clearly!!

So the dual threat of you sending back your season ticket and shitting in a box (not sure if that meant same box as season ticket) and the club still went ahead with "the clown" (your words) Cotterill?

Lesson number one - you have to be prepared to see through a threat.

Did you enjoy the remainder of 2013/14 and 2014/15?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

See I disagree, look at how many teams have proven that finances do not restrict you if your club is being run well and the recruitment /coaching etc is good enough. Southampton, Swansea, Norwich, Bournemouth all in the Premier League, all had poor finances at one point and were seen as small. They didn't get where they are by splashing cash, they got there through building a solid club backbone and working hard. Yes money makes things easier but there are a lot of teams who have had worse finances than us and done a lot better than we have.

I'm not saying we should be top of the league, but we sure as hell shouldn't be struggling so much after having the season we did in our last.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/southampton/english-football-teams/southampton-transfers

Interesting reading?  We do have Joe Bryan though!

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

So the dual threat of you sending back your season ticket and shitting in a box (not sure if that meant same box as season ticket) and the club still went ahead with "the clown" (your words) Cotterill?

Lesson number one - you have to be prepared to see through a threat.

Did you enjoy the remainder of 2013/14 and 2014/15?

One of the greatest season's ever and it was my 8 year olds first season one which i will never forget, so glad to be proved wrong although I'm not letting sentiment get in the way of his very poor business this season..

12 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

As far as I'm concerned we're skirting close to the wind.  I'm not claiming to know what the solutions are, bloody hell, I'd be straight on to the club if I did!

What we know from experience is that, for whatever reason, we've struggled in the transfer market at this level since Gary Johnson pulled a rabbit out of the hat in 2008.

If we don't stick with Cotterill, what makes you think this is going to change, may I ask?

I don't have any answers, my main concern with Cotts staying is the fear that he cannot attract the players needed in January to keep us up. The more this season goes on however and   with total silence from the club I believe Steve is probably the best we can hope for, the club just hasn't got the ambition or drive to take us up a level, its a shame because i really let myself believe after last season and with the new ground going up around us that a new era was around the corner.

I was wrong and if the club can't take chances like these they never will!!

14 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

One of the greatest season's ever and it was my 8 year olds first season one which i will never forget, so glad to be proved wrong although I'm not letting sentiment get in the way of his very poor business this season..

Good. But I do believe you and others had an irrational dislike of Cotterill, which manifested itself in many unsavoury - not to say wildly inaccurate - comments and predictions, as a consequence of which you constantly look for the negatives and rejoice in the setbacks.

For example how do you know the alleged bad business in the summer was Cotterill's fault?

We are not in a relegation spot and come the end of the season the table will show there are at least 3 teams worse than us, which is exactly what many if not most would have said was acceptable before the season started, and definitely so just over 2 years ago.

I wasn't surprised he went for a flat back four against Derby due to them having the rep of playing three up front two of whom are quick. However, they actually only play one up front in Martin (who didn't start anyway) with two playing just behind him on either side. Derby actually changed their system due to our 3-5-2 to push more forward. However we had changed our own system and it took them 30 minutes to adapt. Once they did they won at a canter.

It is also not surprising we didn't threaten much is it? Agard works hard but is never a lone striker, the ball doesn't stick and he isn't the type to hold it up and lay it off. therefore we would have to play through them and we just are not good enough to do that against one of the best sides in the division.

28 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I don't have any answers, my main concern with Cotts staying is the fear that he cannot attract the players needed in January to keep us up. The more this season goes on however and   with total silence from the club I believe Steve is probably the best we can hope for, the club just hasn't got the ambition or drive to take us up a level, its a shame because i really let myself believe after last season and with the new ground going up around us that a new era was around the corner.

I was wrong and if the club can't take chances like these they never will!!

It could be that due to our phenomenal season in 14-15 our expectations were risen and now we're disappointed.

The club doesn't have the drive or ambition to take us forward? 

We get a pitifully low following, given the size of the catchment area.  We've historically bounced between these two divisions.  The one time we did reach the top flight in the modern era we affectively did what Bolton are now doing, Portsmouth are another.  There sadly is not a footballing culture in Bristol and simply sacking Cotterill isn't going to iron over the creases, I'm sorry to say.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He left our two top goalscorers on the bench and changing the starting formation for the first time in about 70 games.  WTF was he expecting to happen?

I honestly don't think he had a clue.

Its an absolute lottery at the moment, people say he's the man to keep us up, he's not to blame for the summers transfer fiasco, where has this been made been made public, we the consumer have no idea what went on in the summer, maybe if we did it'd make getting hammered a little bit easier to take.

Why do people think January will be any different, , no one wants to come here and SC says we can't compete.

If money is made available then I'd sooner it be seen spent by a man that can sell BCFC a little better, as it stands and after listening to that interview we are in a hell of a mess.

Oh to know what really went on in the summer!

1 hour ago, 'keepuplino' said:

With magic fairy dust.

Or by employing an experienced manager who hasn't given up on the players and has good connections and experience in this league, I can't think of many but I'd fancy our chances a lot more with Pearson in charge, that's not to say I want SC gone, just an idea.

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

With magic fairy dust.

Or by employing an experienced manager who hasn't given up on the players and has good connections and experience in this league, I can't think of many but I'd fancy our chances a lot more with Pearson in charge, that's not to say I want SC gone, just an idea.

to say he has given up on the players seems like 2+2=6. He said they can't compete against what they have just played against, and I'm not surprised judging by how much has been spent respectfully on each team.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Good. But I do believe you and others had an irrational dislike of Cotterill, which manifested itself in many unsavoury - not to say wildly inaccurate - comments and predictions, as a consequence of which you constantly look for the negatives and rejoice in the setbacks.

For example how do you know the alleged bad business in the summer was Cotterill's fault?

We are not in a relegation spot and come the end of the season the table will show there are at least 3 teams worse than us, which is exactly what many if not most would have said was acceptable before the season started, and definitely so just over 2 years ago.

Whilst I find your love of SC admirable... it surely is based on what he has done over the last two seasons?

You cannot deny the facts of this season.

We have the worst goal difference and are leaking goals for fun.

Look at any league...and it is generally the teams that concede the most that go down.

We've had a nightmare recruiting this season...and imho, that is what is killing us.

Now whether that's SC's fault or the boards or both...it's never been publicly documented...but there have been 'rumours'.

So if it's not SC's fault...do you blame the owner and Board? Because someone cocked up. And the buck stops at either them or SC.

No one will have it that we have been run poorly for many years...so it's not SL's fault...not the boards...and not SC's...so who's bloody fault is it then...because it's been awful for years.

Managers come and go...SL and board are ever present.

I don't think the best manager in the world could pull this Club into the Prem...let alone consolidate in the Championship.

As for '3 teams worse than us'...you honestly think SL wanted or predicted that?

Him, SC and even Freeman a couple weeks ago were talking of play offs.

When you've got an ex City player taking the time to come on here and say it's the worst he's seen as a player or fan...than that says a lot.

Think that over for a minute.

SC is out of his depth in this league...and imho...the owner and board are clueless too.

They would rather have a Ferrari with a mini engine...than a mini with a Ferrari engine...if you get my drift.

The lot of em down there in charge are bonkers imho.

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

In saying that...can see us beating QPR and masking over the cracks again for another couple weeks.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

After dropping Kodjia and giving that interview I think my opinion of giving him until the end of the season may certainly have changed.

That interview is a game changer for me.  Manager pissed off - I can handle that.  Manager  blaming poor play - I can handle that.  Manager blaming the players - I can handle that to an extent. 

Manager looking totally beat and ready to throw in the towel - not good enough. That interview makes me want to throw in the towel, god knows how the players must feel.  Shape up or ship out SC.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

to say he has given up on the players seems like 2+2=6. He said they can't compete against what they have just played against, and I'm not surprised judging by how much has been spent respectfully on each team.

It's strange because they did compete until the 2 nd goal, I am at an absolute loss as to why he didn't bring another striker on at half time. Agard was so obviously not a threat, we were creating quite a few chances with no one at the end of them. Baffling. 

"We were never going to win this and i don't know why people thought it would be competitive"

That's almost certainly the attitude the players had after being set up like that.....

It's Derby, not Barcelona......Brighton almost beat them Saturday and we more than competed down there.

Anyway, without knowing who was at fault for the shambles in the summer, I can't quite bring myself to say "Time for a change" because if it wasn't Cotterills fault, then I think he's been very let down.

What I will add to that is that he's clearly not maximising the potential of the players we have because I look at some of the teams above us (Preston for example) and there isn't too many of their players that I think would improve our team.

I have read nothing on this thread to suggest that there is anything else that can effectively be done to give us a better chance of staying up than appointing a new manager 

It won't put everything right from the word go but Cotterill looked finished in the post match interview and I just can't with all the will in the world see him picking not just himself but the team up as well.

Well I ended up in the home end last night after a colleague had a spare ticket and all I can say is that the derby fans at half time weren't very happy. They couldn't believe why they weren't tonking us and were lucky to be 1 up after a very even first half. Freeman probably played the best he had all season apart from losing the ball twice that led to two of the goals. It was after that second goal went in that we turned to being a shower of sh@@ suddenly they just looked totally deflated and couldn't be bothered attitude, totally void of any fighting spirit what so ever. It was then you could see it was gonna be a wrought and not pretty.

Does SC look broken ... Perhaps Lansdown has told him there's no money or very little to strengthen in January and that may have been the issue last summer but will we ever know.

Archived