IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Live on Radio Bristol - soon !

The Red Planet

2 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

With reference to the left hand and right hand I was really referring to SL & SC.  

Dont seem to singing from the same hymn sheet. Publicly and so definitely not privately (if they talk at all, which I'm sure they do). 

And I'm well aware of FFP. 

Which keeps us small clubs in our place In the main. 

The originality of laws was to "protect property from the masses", was it not. 

And so it continues. 

SC is indistinguishable from the club/board...SC will not normally talk directly to SL on finances and transfers it will go through the board at least for the first 90% of attaining a target

I agree with your perception of FFP however football clubs are community based and losing an Aldershot for example due to poor finances and over reach effects not only the supporters but all the suppliers, pubs paper shops that earn a once removed living and thus protects them too....All those supporters want is to be there next season and somewhere to follow football which FFP protects....

9 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Surly their agent could have told them that and perhaps at bit of common sense. 

Any need for the public fiasco. ?

An agent saying that would be doing their client a disservice. What they should do, is keep everyone on ice to drive the reward up for their player.

Not overly ethical, but a basic when you are in the driving seat. 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

SC is indistinguishable from the club/board...SC will not normally talk directly to SL on finances and transfers it will go through the board at least for the first 90% of attaining a target

I agree with your perception of FFP however football clubs are community based and losing an Aldershot for example due to poor finances and over reach effects not only the supporters but all the suppliers, pubs paper shops that earn a once removed living and thus protects them too....All those supporters want is to be there next season and somewhere to follow football which FFP protects....

Seems to me FFP only restricts you 

depentant on what league your in.

If we were teleported to the premier league tomorrow with the same turnover budget etc. How much we be able to spent on transfer and wages in January?

14 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

If we were teleported to the premier league tomorrow with the same turnover budget etc. How much we be able to spent on transfer and wages in January?

It does restrict you (clubs) but to protect the community as many football clubs at lower levels are ran by financial illiterates like BCFC pre 1982

I don't know the answer to your question..Except to say that transfer spending I believe is mutually exclusive to revenue generated spending (please FFP ITKs correct or comment),,,,So at a wildish guess as much as the club want on a fee, with wages not to exceed the rules of FFP across the entirety of the operation,,,So the answer on wages is how much do we have between current expenditure and the maximum allowed expenditure and therein lies your answer!

Because of the season we are having (so far ) , the (lack of ) transfer activity during the summer, we are ALL looking for somewhere to apportion the blame. SC has moaned, made it sound like the boards fault. SL said we offered the right money and wages which , I infer , means it is more SC or KB at fault but I've wondered if at the end of the day SC couldn't have been a bit more pro-active.   If I was incharge, and no signings had been made with just a couple of weeks before the season was due to start > I would have kicked up a stink ! It's not as though he walked through the door the day the season started and thought, "oh , we're a little light on numbers" !!!!

We need to put that behind us and (as Cott's should have done pre season) move onto new targets. While we're on about new targets, I find it hard to believe they've not got a list already. Hopefully , Mr Lansdown was keeping his cards close to his chest or KB has been left to deal.

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Because of the season we are having (so far ) , the (lack of ) transfer activity during the summer, we are ALL looking for somewhere to apportion the blame. SC has moaned, made it sound like the boards fault. SL said we offered the right money and wages which , I infer , means it is more SC or KB at fault but I've wondered if at the end of the day SC couldn't have been a bit more pro-active.   If I was incharge, and no signings had been made with just a couple of weeks before the season was due to start > I would have kicked up a stink ! It's not as though he walked through the door the day the season started and thought, "oh , we're a little light on numbers" !!!!

We need to put that behind us and (as Cott's should have done pre season) move onto new targets. While we're on about new targets, I find it hard to believe they've not got a list already. Hopefully , Mr Lansdown was keeping his cards close to his chest or KB has been left to deal.

What SL was saying was that yes, the football department have identified their targets, but that he doesn't yet know which players they are. Reason being, all he has to do is authorise the expenditure provided the football staff have done the due dilligence.

Common sense would tell you if SL knew we had targets then would have said so in the Q&A.  If just to put the fanbase concerns to rest. 

No need to elaborate. 

To say he hasn't a clue what players may be recruited in January while obviously being honest , doesn't give the fanbase much confidence.   

36 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

You're missing the point again. Steve Lansdown doesn't run the club, he just finances it. He said that the 'football department' - presumably Cotterill, Burt and the cheif scout - have a list of targets for January. He hasn't seen it yet, but expects to imminently. Perhaps in the next few days. He will then sanction the expenditure, provided he is happy they have done their due diligence on the players. 

This doesn't mean those players will necessarily sign for us though.

Seems pretty clear?

1 hour ago, Redrobbin said:

More than we can now....ie;..ffp....total bollo................

47 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

You're missing the point again. Steve Lansdown doesn't run the club, he just finances it. He said that the 'football department' - presumably Cotterill, Burt and the cheif scout - have a list of targets for January. He hasn't seen it yet, but expects to imminently. Perhaps in the next few days. He will then sanction the expenditure, provided he is happy they have done their due diligence on the players. 

This doesn't mean those players will necessarily sign for us though.

Seems pretty clear?

Steve doesn't run the club. Just finances it.  

Wake up!!

If you finance things you would like to   think; me and you included; you would like to have a say on how things are run. 

At the very least have a strong say on

proceedings.  

11 hours ago, cynic said:

That is exactly what happened according to SL - the agent for Gayle informed the club he wasn't interested full stop.

Gray, out of a sense of politeness, actually took the time to come to the club and discuss it, but was always going to Burnley.

In the meantime, the media (probably with Gayles agent) cooked up a storm with wild stories of 9m bids - nowhere near that amount apparently.

I didn't hear him say bids were nowhere near what the media reported? 

Interesting interview with a football money broker on radio 5 this morning

Helped to clarify for me the conflicting and inconsistent statements coming from Ashton Gate last week, which we have all been trying to analyse

The big piece of information being that the building of new stadiums almost always leads to drop in form on the pitch (lack of investment in players) even relegation. Seem familiar?

The other important piece of news is that one owner clubs is the past what is now becoming the new norm is heavy additional investment.

All fascinating and challenging stuff

Seems to me SL needs to sort his business plan out from here because if he wants a Premiership,side playing at the new stadium he does need extra investment (as well as all the other points raised on,otib over the last week which need attention from The Academy to communication between Board and fans). 

Hope it really will be upwards and onwards and not as one wit recently said on otib, upwards and sideways

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct Woodsy - tho he also said football was always his 'love' 

He also said in a four part interview when the club was in Botswana that BCFC are and always will be his main focus. Ashton gate will always be called Ashton gate and we will always be called Bristol City . Some people though are so paranoid about Bristol Sport they believe any old rubbish made up on here.

Having started this topic and heard the interview - it's about time I commented myself.

I thought everything he said made perfect sense. He was slightly lukewarm about support for SC - but that's not surprising after the start we have had this season. Options need to be kept open.

What he said about the summer transfer season demolished all the speculative gossip on here. We now know what happened.

Steve Lansdown is a locally born man, a genuine City fan and (having met him recently) a down to earth, very decent bloke.

How many football fans at other clubs would give their right arm for a majority owner who ticks all those boxes ?

We are very lucky - don't ever forget that.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 21:28, City Rocker said:

I thought he said exactly the reverse of that very recently. Football has always been his game and he doesn't really know about rugby.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 21:28, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct Woodsy - tho he also said football was always his 'love' 

Fair enough, God knows who I heard say it then! That's good to know

20 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

Having started this topic and heard the interview - it's about time I commented myself.

I thought everything he said made perfect sense. He was slightly lukewarm about support for SC - but that's not surprising after the start we have had this season. Options need to be kept open.

What he said about the summer transfer season demolished all the speculative gossip on here. We now know what happened.

Steve Lansdown is a locally born man, a genuine City fan and (having met him recently) a down to earth, very decent bloke.

How many football fans at other clubs would give their right arm for a majority owner who ticks all those boxes ?

We are very lucky - don't ever forget that.

All too easy to take what you've got for granted.

As Joni  said, " you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Who, me?

TBF I think Drew was referring to the original poster / source Woodsy

And TBF to you there was a post recently that suggested SL was going more towards the rugby and I had to think what he'd said about his sporting interests - Think he may have gone to the rugby a bit but I definitely recall him saying his real love growing up was football, he wasn't a City fan but came to AG because Jon wanted to go

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

TBF I think Drew was referring to the original poster / source Woodsy

And TBF to you there was a post recently that suggested SL was going more towards the rugby and I had to think what he'd said about his sporting interests - Think he may have gone to the rugby a bit but I definitely recall him saying his real love growing up was football, he wasn't a City fan but came to AG because Jon wanted to go

Fair enough, Bob

It could have been me that suggested SL and BS were leaning more towards the rugby too though!! I'm sure I read it somewhere, but the fact that you and someone else pointed it out as incorrect and no one has backed me up makes me think I got it wrong! My general point being that Bristol have been linked to every big name player coming out of contract next summer, could all be bollocks, of course, but as a non Premiership club you have to wonder why they are prepared to splash out that kind of money. Anyway, this could turn this thread away from the original starting point, so I'll leave it there!!

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Fair enough, Bob

It could have been me that suggested SL and BS were leaning more towards the rugby too though!! I'm sure I read it somewhere, but the fact that you and someone else pointed it out as incorrect and no one has backed me up makes me think I got it wrong! My general point being that Bristol have been linked to every big name player coming out of contract next summer, could all be bollocks, of course, but as a non Premiership club you have to wonder why they are prepared to splash out that kind of money. Anyway, this could turn this thread away from the original starting point, so I'll leave it there!!

Oh no it's a fair point you make

It does concern me , being selfish as a football fan only that the rugby is or could easily become a distraction

I don't think it distracts financially and the wage caps ensure that it is not the same financial commitment as the football side

It will certainly be easier to get the Rugby Club to or near the top of the tree than the football and a lot less expensive !!

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh no it's a fair point you make

It does concern me , being selfish as a football fan only that the rugby is or could easily become a distraction

I don't think it distracts financially and the wage caps ensure that it is not the same financial commitment as the football side

It will certainly be easier to get the Rugby Club to or near the top of the tree than the football and a lot less expensive !!

The last line is what worries me, Bob. And we know that Saracens and Barf have been over paying for years, without any comeback, so if SL was so inclined I'm sure he could overspend a little and get Bristol into the top 4 or 5 pretty quickly

If I was a Bristol fan I'd be quite excited by it all, but being a Gloucester boy all I can think is that it's another big spending club that is going to knock us further down the pecking order!

Archived