IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Live on Radio Bristol - soon !

The Red Planet

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@GrahamC if I heard correctly Lansdown said we made the mistake in the summer of chasing playing that were never really going to join us. 

Resources weren't an issue and we offered the wages, Gray/Gayle just weren't willing to come.

He specifically mentioned Clucas and Cooper of Chesterfield who've been signed by Cship clubs as examples of players we maybe should've gone for.

No blame apportioned to SC or anyone specifically for that matter.

Clucks and cooper ???? That's because they would sign for a third of the wages wanted by grey/ gayle

I'm a bit confused, according to people who were at the senior refs Thursday we aren't paying huge wages and going to look at l1 l2 players.

Today been said wages aren't a problem its just getting players to sign that's the problem.

Which is right for both are allegedly from SL.

Have I got this wrong?

15 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I'm a bit confused, according to people who were at the senior refs Thursday we aren't paying huge wages and going to look at l1 l2 players.

Today been said wages aren't a problem its just getting players to sign that's the problem.

Which is right for both are allegedly from SL.

Have I got this wrong?

Worth listening to the interview to form your own opinions but he definitely said they knew what Gayle was on at Palace and could cope with that (he didn't say cope with - I forget his exact words but def not an issue )

He always thought Gray was going to Burnley and thought he'd maybe spoken to us maybe out of courtesy.

Says he has no part in the recruitment process, other than paying for them

Said he's never said no , wouldn't say he never would but will always try and back the manager

Said we wasted some time in summer 

Unless you think SL is a liar he certainly didn't block or put financial barriers in the way for moves ,and the selection of suitable targets wasn't down to him

9 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

But contradicts himself with a wage budget structure 

TBF we don't know what the budget is 

Is it a max wage for any player , a wage budget overall

I have no knowledge of the accurate answers but I get the impression there's a structure but if SL feels the expenditure is justified and a business case is made by the management he will listen and try and oblige

Might be wrong but I'm not sure that there is a line in the sand that's immovable for the right acquisition hence the confusion possibly

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Worth listening to the interview to form your own opinions but he definitely said they knew what Gayle was on at Palace and could cope with that (he didn't say cope with - I forget his exact words but def not an issue )

He always thought Gray was going to Burnley and thought he'd maybe spoken to us maybe out of courtesy.

Says he has no part in the recruitment process, other than paying for them

Said he's never said no , wouldn't say he never would but will always try and back the manager

Said we wasted some time in summer 

Unless you think SL is a liar he certainly didn't block or put financial barriers in the way for moves ,and the selection of suitable targets wasn't down to him

Will try to find it online later. Living In Manchester just going on what people have reported on here Thursday and today.

For those who don't want to listen to i/v

*    said that we needed to / need to replace Wade Elliot and is something we need to  focus on

* need another keeper - one not enough - Max still Young if promising 

* Someone who gets goals always a want

* Thinks we have enough cover defensively

* said about Gayle 'We knew what he was on and we knew we could afford that'

* Said we maybe made a mistake going for certain level of players that didn't want to come to us

* Plan going forward developing the academy, recruiting players with a value, under 24 ideally but no strict rule in that

* We now have scouts in France and Spain

* Admited we can't compete financially with the parachute payments clubs but the stadium rebuild is to generate additional income with the extra capacity and commercial corporate side.( He did suggest he was expecting 20000 min in the new 27000 stadium - bit optimistic IMO)

6 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Will try to find it online later. Living In Manchester just going on what people have reported on here Thursday and today.

screech kindly posted a link - worth listening to - it's only 5 -10 mins

(wasn't being sarcastic btw about listening to it - just think listening to it yourself gives you the full 'feeling' for it rather than mine or others account of it ;)  )

1 hour ago, screech said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p039nxdz#play

Listen to it here, from 21 minutes in.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Well I'm glad he confirmed it wasn't wages that stopped players coming here...said this all along.

Correct you did say that, you said it was because players, manager, agents and coaches don't like Cotterill.

Whereas SL said the players we were after went to clubs they felt had a better chance of challenging for promotion.

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Correct you did say that, you said it was because players, manager, agents and coaches don't like Cotterill.

Whereas SL said the players we were after went to clubs they felt had a better chance of challenging for promotion.

Apparently you have your own reliable sources so I am surprised you needed to listen to the owners interview !!

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Missed that - Where / when did he say that Rob ?

In terms of 'where' I think it was 'the horse fare' - I tuned in online post match when I was on a bus.

Can't imagine that helps much though.

Somewhere around the 30 minute mark (using the link someone else posted) should see you no more than a few minutes away.

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Also suggested the redeveloped stadium might be worth about 'another 7 or 8 million'

I assume in turnover.

I think that was the 20 - 25,000 at every home game! 

When was the last time we averaged anything like that? Come to think of it, when was the last time we had a usable capacity of over 20,000? I'm pretty sure the 21,497 capacity was cut to around 19,500 due to segregation.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

In terms of 'where' I think it was 'the horse fare' - I tuned in online post match when I was on a bus.

Can't imagine that helps much though.

Somewhere around the 30 minute mark (using the link someone else posted) should see you no more than a few minutes away.

:clapping: Made me chuckle :D

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Apparently you're 'in the know'  / know people so I am surprised you needed to listen to the owners interview

Looking for an argument are we.

Where have I said that.

It's your mate spudski that's ITK.

He knows players, managers, agents and coaches.

He tells us that all the time so it must be true. Just never says who he is or which players, manager, agents and coaches he knows.

And according to the majority shareholder, he is wrong.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@GrahamC if I heard correctly Lansdown said we made the mistake in the summer of chasing playing that were never really going to join us. 

Resources weren't an issue and we offered the wages, Gray/Gayle just weren't willing to come.

He specifically mentioned Clucas and Cooper of Chesterfield who've been signed by Cship clubs as examples of players we maybe should've gone for.

No blame apportioned to SC or anyone specifically for that matter.

That's what I heard and was going to add to the thread too. We should have again been looking for players in League One who were able to take a step up, we hard largely done this the previous season.

Most other stuff has been mentioned on this thread already. Think he mentioned being up against clubs with parachute payments 

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Looking for an argument are we.

Where have I said that.

It's your mate spudski that's ITK.

He knows players, managers, agents and coaches.

He tells us that all the time so it must be true. Just never says who he is or which players, manager, agents and coaches he knows.

And according to the majority shareholder, he is wrong.

just fed up with your constant agenda

And yes you have indicated within the last week or so that you have your own sources who tell a different story to Spudski

You spout the same stuff, ironically accusing Spudski of having an agenda yet you wouldn't let anyone have an opinion on your love in with certain people at AG if they emptied the clubs safe and ran off to South America

BTW Spudski and other on here know a lot more than they ever post on here  - if they have an agenda as you tediously and boringly  repeat in just about every post why wouldn't these posters post all they've got if they wanted to stir  ?? 

Genuine q - out of interest have you ever had a direct connection with the club (other than as a fan) or involvement in professional football ?

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's what I heard and was going to add to the thread too. We should have again been looking for players in League One who were able to take a step up, we hard largely done this the previous season.

Most other stuff has been mentioned on this thread already. Think he mentioned being up against clubs with parachute payments 

He did Red M - GT asked if he / we had the 'financial, clout to compete with clubs with parachute payments - SL said no but the stadium should help with that

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I have no knowledge of the accurate answers but I get the impression there's a structure but if SL feels the expenditure is justified and a business case is made by the management he will listen and try and oblige

Might be wrong but I'm not sure that there is a line in the sand that's immovable for the right acquisition hence the confusion possibly

I do think this is a bit of spin on SL part if you are willing to pay 9million for a player or two. It stands to reason regardless of speculation on contact terms, that these players will be out of our current wage structure.  

It just, again seems mismanagement has again fallen foul at our club. 

SL has distanced himself (pupicly) progressively over the years with the running of the club.

He has bigger fish to fry corporately.  He has left his son in charge however. 

I will state again as this I feel defines the mess we are in. 

One poster (sorry can't recall your name with out stopping my flow)  who was at the Q&A with Landsdown said he quoted (words to this effect) " Steve Cottrell has not yet put on the table the targets he requires in the January transfer window". 

I'm sure whatever side of the fence you are on, is worrying and quite frankly

amateur. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do think this is a bit of spin on SL part if you are willing to pay 9million for a player or two. It stands to reason regardless of speculation on contact terms, that these players will be out of our current wage structure.  

SL has distanced himself progressively over the years with the running of the club.

One poster (sorry can't recall your name with out stopping my flow)  who was at the Q&Q with Landsdown said he quoted (words to this effect) " Steve Cottrell has not yet people t on the table the targets he requires in the January transfer window". 

11 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

SL has distanced himself (pupicly) progressively over the years with the running of the club.

One poster (sorry can't recall your name with out stopping my flow)  who was at the Q&A with Landsdown said he quoted (words to this effect) " Steve Cottrell has not yet put on the table the targets he requires in the January transfer window". 

I'm sure whatever side of the fence you are on, is worrying and quite frankly

amateur. 

To be fair he repeated the same in the RB interview - admitted he didn't know the Jan transfer targets but was relaxed about it as people (management etc) were working hard on it and he was expecting it fairly soon (And as he'd explained in I/v earlier he doesn't get involved in the identification of players and compiling a list of chosen targets)

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To be fair he repeated the same in the RB interview - admitted he didn't know the Jan transfer targets but was relaxed about it as people (management etc) were working hard on it and he was expecting it fairly soon (And as he'd explained in I/v earlier he doesn't get involved in the identification of players and compiling a list of chosen targets)

His son may well have the list and may well be working on it atm! After all, isn't he the chairman!

Archived