IGNORED

The Beryl Fudge Ticket Office

bristolcitysweden

21 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Til the grand opening of AG next season it would be great to honour the late Mrs.Beryl Fudge. A great character and my first contact at the club. Last time I met Beryl at AG was in February 1998.

Let it happen the club!    

Great Shout to be fair

In the dark days of the 80s and the rebirth of the club under TC , behind TC she wouldn't be far behind in merit in a list of people that saved and helped the club get back on its feet - she worked her appendage off for the club and its supporters bless her 

For those who weren't about then it's no exaggeration that she was as vital to the club then than anyone bar SL is to us now - she sorted tickets, coaches , everyone's problems, helped with laundry and admin tasks at the club.

She was a one woman Bristol Sport, with a 'personal touch' and a word or two if you stepped out of line (and was better at it all than BS )

She used to make me laugh because she said it how it was , especially her views on the team and performances and would regularly bend TCs ear !!

I don't want to knock the Bristol Sport setup, but her sort of personal service and effort seems to have been lost. The people who now work for Bristol Sport / City try hard, but they seem to be obstructed by the wonderful ticketing / phone / IT systems in place. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I don't want to knock the Bristol Sport setup, but her sort of personal service and effort seems to have been lost. The people who now work for Bristol Sport / City try hard, but they seem to be obstructed by the wonderful ticketing / phone / IT systems in place. 

Too true. If we're not careful, it could all get very corporate, faceless and computer says no! There's enough of that in the world today without us adding to it. 

17 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Too true. If we're not careful, it could all get very corporate, faceless and computer says no! There's enough of that in the world today without us adding to it. 

Here what you say but, when did you ever need to buy a ticket in those days? Except the odd cup match I can hardly remember having to pay up front for a ticket for more than a handful of matches, in decades! We just turned up, queued and stood in your normal place. Very different times.

16 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

Here what you say but, when did you ever need to buy a ticket in those days? Except the odd cup match I can hardly remember having to pay up front for a ticket for more than a handful of matches, in decades! We just turned up, queued and stood in your normal place. Very different times.

As I wasn't a season ticket holder until about 7 years ago, quite often, Play-offs, cup matches, proper derby matches (not Cardiff) and away matches. The club often allowed season ticket holders to buy 7 or 8 at a time. My dad and I often relied on Des Williams son, Billy, to get us tickets. In my experience, the lack of the personal touch really shows when something goes wrong or you need something slightly different to the standard. 

When I made my comment about Bristol Sport, I should have explained as a organisation rather than some indicviduals like Kay who's a diamond 

What made Beryl special was her character, her total love of the club, and the fact that a handful of staff like her worked their fingers to the bone to run the club

Ther permanent staff then would prob match our current match day squad !!!!

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

As me and my mates lived in the Minehead area and couldn't go and queue for tickets, she would always fort us out and it was a surprising amount of times.

Gas away games, away games at clubs with tiny grounds, cup games and of course away travel.

one of my greatest City memories was Chester away for promotion, Beryl sorted us out places at the very last minute, on a bank holiday Monday, with seats on a small 20 seater bus, there was literally about 12-15 of us late additions on it and remains my favourite away day ever.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

When I made my comment about Bristol Sport, I should have explained as a organisation rather than some indicviduals like Kay who's a diamond 

What made Beryl special was her character, her total love of the club, and the fact that a handful of staff like her worked their fingers to the bone to run the club

Ther permanent staff then would prob match our current match day squad !!!!

Kay and Nick are always really helpful.

My experiences of booking tickets by phone this season (can't do wheelchair online) has been very good.  I've got through to someone within 30-120 seconds each time.

To be fair I'm usually phoning in the "online only" window, but for Reading I've phoned in normal Sales Window and got through to Nick a couple of times to find out how close they were to selling out R27, because I wanted to get my dad into R28, each time got through quickly.

I have quite a number of her personal signatures (yes they were hand written -- not even a rubber stamp!!) on my renewal slips for the Supporters Club stuck on top of each other in a little hardbacked membership booklet. Those were the days indeed/ BF should be recognised as she covered much ground in representing supporters in so many areas of club life..

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

She is infamous in a book about Millwall hooligans, in that she gave the route of a City coach / bus for the upcoming game.  The Millwall fans set up a road block, took the coach down a dead end, and then stoned the windows.

Absolute tosh

Mrs Fudge was a wonderful lady who was dedicated and a true fan, she hugged me when Tins scored at Anfield and again when the final whistle blew! When I was a bit hard up for cash she made sure I was on steward duty so I could travel, looked after proper fans she did.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There were times when it seemed it was only her and TC that kept the club running.

City was just about scraping by in those day, but I enjoyed it! Why? Because there was a passion running through everyone involved with the club and it was obvious that the only way was up. 

I was a ballboy for a couple of seasons around 1982/1983, Beryl used to give us tips like holding on to the ball for a few seconds or misthrow it back if we're winning and there's only a few minutes to go!  

One away match, can't remember where, a City fan ran on to the pitch and Beryl gave me a right royal bollocking for doing it and stood me down as ballboy for the next match as punishment. I took it and didn't dare answer her back, even though it wasn't me!!!

Beryl was amazing, especially when me and my mates started travelling to away games on our own as youngsters without our parents in tow. She kept us in line and she kept an eye on us.

I remember her smiling when the coaches would slow down as we went past Eastville on the M32, allowing us all to go through our full repertoire of hand gestures and songs before we carried on...!

Beryl is quite simply a Bristol City legend, she did so so much for our fans and our club. A proper fan, dedicated to the Reds who loved Bristol City FC.

Perhaps 'Beryl's Bar' in the new West Stand would be appropriate, with a big framed photo of her with her smashing smile above the bar, because back then she reigned supreme in the office at the back of what was the Williams stand.

People like Beryl build football clubs and she was a big part of our club in difficult times...

40 minutes ago, adamski said:

Absolute tosh

Mrs Fudge was a wonderful lady who was dedicated and a true fan, she hugged me when Tins scored at Anfield and again when the final whistle blew! When I was a bit hard up for cash she made sure I was on steward duty so I could travel, looked after proper fans she did.

Yeah, you're probably right....its just what I read in a book.  I probably should've added that in the book it said that they duped her into giving the route by saying that they were City fans from London and wanted to meet up with some friends travelling on the coach on the way.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

She is infamous in a book about Millwall hooligans, in that she gave the route of a City coach / bus for the upcoming game.  The Millwall fans set up a road block, took the coach down a dead end, and then stoned the windows.

Interesting read about it here  http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/October84-13.htm

I saw one of those coaches as it came back through Bristol down by tempe meads, I must have been about 13 and me and my mum had been to weston for the day and were waiting on a bus stop, I will never forget her face when that coach with every window put out and dented all over pulled up. One of the older lads I used to hang about with Trevor Porch (rip) was in the back, "Alright Steve hows it going"  he shouted and he laughed his head off like a mad man and they drove off, my mums face was a picture.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I read the book, it was one of those by the infamous, Watford-supporting Brimson brothers.

Beryl wasn't named, the Millwall boys in the book said they phoned up the City ticket office, pretended to be Old Bill and asked about the City away fans' travel plans that day. They basically said whoever answered the phone told them what they wanted to know.

They didn't say it was Beryl...

Archived