IGNORED

The Beryl Fudge Ticket Office

bristolcitysweden

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

The two coaches that lost all their windows were privates, running from the Black Horse, Bedminster.

One Supporter's Club coach got done over at Earls Court, the other on the Old Kent Road (after doubling back cos it missed Cold Blow Lane first time around, thereby alerting the locals in the boozer). Neither incidents had anything to do with Beryl (bar the fact that her son Steve... or maybe Dave... was one of the stewards on the latter coach (which only lost one window... mine!).

As I recall it the incidents that day were reported in the national papers, not just because of the extreme violence and damage, but because it was notable as being thought to be the first time embryonic mobile phones had been used by football fans to orchestrate violence. Millwall hooligans were said to have been stationed at various points to spot the City coaches before quickly passing on the likely route to fellow thugs elsewhere so they could rapidly converge en masse to the best likely ambush point.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Made me laugh again !!!

I spent that game up a floodlight pylon that was conveniently in our end - we took a following that day ! (Don't think it was anywhere near 7000 mind ;) more like 3000 - 3500 but a good following nevertheless)

Lost 1-0 tho ??

Yep ... lost 1-0 to a goal I think from their right back - for some reason I am thinking it may have been Phil Brown but probably wrong - it's a long time ago. 

Just been smiling to myself reading all the stories about Beryl, bringing back fond memories.

Just a Post script , my mate went down the gate earlier to get tickets for WBA and Reading only to be told that he can't purchase tickets at the ground and he must buy them online. I guess you call that progress.

1 hour ago, cider head said:

The old cabin and it's crew ;)

11138560_344585852398322_140389698701182

11137129_344585659065008_482462908057426

14048_344585615731679_305952846263966756

11130294_344585529065021_905042100843816

11050797_344585515731689_914308412903138

I used to love the old club shop as a kid and those photos bring back memories. Was the lady in the last couple of photos involved with the Junior Reds? I used to sit in F/G block of the Dolman (towards the EE) with my dad and I'm sure I used to walk past her sitting with the Junior Reds in that part of the ground.

18 hours ago, ManchesterRobin said:

When I was a kid in the 1970's in Hanham, Beryl was my Sunday School teacher - and I bet not many of them were so skilled in breaking up football crowd trouble ! Beryls' gifts of pens and posters kept me out of the clutches of gas-leaning family and friends so I have her to thank for all my City memories ever since. 

A kind, generous lady and wonderful servant to the club - it would be great if her name could be honoured somehow down the Gate.

Beryl was my Sunday school teacher at Hanham Methodist church in the 1980s. We spent as much time talking about City as we did the good Lord. She also made sure I had City related gifts that I treasured (many of them I still have). I wrote a tribute in the Green Un shortly after she died. It upsets me that she hasn't had any official recognition and I agree the naming of the ticket office or club shop would be most appropriate.

Just had another memory from that era.

I phoned the club about some tickets, fully expecting to hear Beryl's voice at the other end. Instead a male voice with a Yorkshire accent answered. After dealing with the tickets I enquired, "you're Terry Cooper aren't you?" "Yes" came the reply with a little chuckle.

Although our club had gone from the best of times to the worst of times in the early 80's, those that loyally followed through that time have the happiest memories of any era, really special. 

Archived