IGNORED

The Beryl Fudge Ticket Office

bristolcitysweden

When I used to go away in the 90's I usually sat behind beryl on the infamous #1 coach. Always looked after people, and would be a good source of club gossip.

Fondly remembered and sadly missed.

PS I'd like to think that the CATS fa-cup final ticket allocations used to make it to the right people thanks to Beryl.

3 hours ago, adamski said:

Absolute tosh

Mrs Fudge was a wonderful lady who was dedicated and a true fan, she hugged me when Tins scored at Anfield and again when the final whistle blew! When I was a bit hard up for cash she made sure I was on steward duty so I could travel, looked after proper fans she did.

And make no mistake,Govoner........

In the 'Why City? Beryl Fudge   Travel/ClubShop ' article above Beryl talked about her early day with the Supporters Club and its secretary Arthur Fowler..

Just out of interest its been said many a time that Dave Lloyd in his stint when writing for EastEnders used to sometimes slip in BCFC connected names etc into the scripts - was EastEnders  Arthur Fowler (of Christmas Fund nicking fame) character one of DL's ? based on the Arthur Beryl mentions from the SC perhaps? NICE ONE DL if so :)

Also does anyone have a list of City related stuff that Dave might have slipped into his TV stuff?  

Beryls Bar would be a nice touch btw BS ... A little sweet shop for the kiddies somewhere on site would be popular too, specially if called something like Citys Fudge Bar . 

I remember her son telling me a lovely story....

During the dark days after 82, one of Beryls jobs prior to an away game was to phone her opposite number at the club we would be visiting to advise them on how many fans were expected to be travelling for the upcoming match, i cant remember exactly what club, it might have been Torquay ?, anyway it was on the south coast so a weekender was on the cards.......the conversation went something like this Beryl : " Hi love, just letting you know how many will be travelling next weekend, we reckon around four and a half to five"..Person on other end: "OK , that's great, i'l just make a note, four to five hundred fans from bristol.".......Beryl : " No, four to five thousand ! " Person on other end :"Goodness me" to put it mildly !

Some sort of tribute to a wonderful lady would be a fantastic tribute from the club, lets hope this happens, thanks BCS for starting this thread

Beryl was as good as gold to me.

Regularly she would sort me and my mates out for away tickets for big matches. She knew we would be in a minibus and not on CATS but she would smile and hand them over.

I remember a friendly against Crystal Palace when me and my mates stood in the Enclosure and gave John Salako fearful abuse. Beryl stomped over to me and in front of all my mates told me 'your language is a disgrace Mark, you should be ashamed of yourself'. I felt about an inch high in front of my laughing mates.

She was right though. My language was a disgrace. It still is.

One interesting legacy that Beryl left us is the One page programmes for Friendlies and reserve team matches from the middle sixties through to the late Eighties. 

Beryl would type them up in her office and print them off - very often that single sheet programme would only be available in the shop.

Interesting to note the current efforts put in by the club with all the technology at their disposal for under 21 and 18 games - very poor.

So well done Beryl those programmes really are your lasting legacy.

Attended that Millwall game and when Millwall and City faced off throwing missiles at each other there was Berlyl at the front admonishing the City side "A put that down, S Don't you throw that, T get down from there ...." Most females would have been terrified.

She was part of the tapestry of the club.

I don't know Beryls son and I assume he's not on OTIB

Anyone out there know him , ??  that could tell him about this thread so he could at least come on and read it ?

There's some lovely memories and tributes on this thread that , if it was about my Mum , I'd be proud was still being said about her

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Attended that Millwall game and when Millwall and City faced off throwing missiles at each other there was Berlyl at the front admonishing the City side "A put that down, S Don't you throw that, T get down from there ...." Most females would have been terrified.

She was part of the tapestry of the club.

Yours and @Malaggro is back posts are two of my favourite posts on here for a while insomuch they made me laugh to myself for about ten mins !!!

They sum up Beryl perfectly as I'd been reminiscing and laughing how many times she would give us 'lads' a dressing down !!! Remember her giving. Divvy a right public dressing down at somewhere up North one day and Divvy, like we all did took it on the chin from Beryl because we respected her so much

Just love your quote above ' A put that down .....etc' as I can hear her and see her saying that like it's happening in front of me, bless her

On a serious note she actually prevented a lot of trouble over the years as people to a very large degree would respect her and behave when she intervened - she was as you say a brave lady with real moral guts too

Im still chuckling at the ear bashing and short term 'travel bans'I and many others received from her !!!

Heart the size of a Lion and made of gold

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone out there know him , ??  that could tell him about this thread so he could at least come on and read it ?

There's some lovely memories and tributes on this thread that , if it was about my Mum , I'd be proud was still being said about her

Have just tried to pass a message to Steve, her son. Cobbler lad and have known him most of my life. I'm sure he'd love to read these comments.

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Both Steve and Dave, (Beryl's two sons) are "lifers", Dave is nearer to my age (mid fifties at a guess) and both have been going at least as long as I have, so the very early 1970s, bless them.

As for the comments about Beryl I can only concur, she sorted me a ticket for Fisher, (though I did go with Dave) and was always helping people out if they struggled to afford to go.

When we went bust in '82 times were hard all round and no one could have done more to help some of us attend games..

54 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yours and @Malaggro is back posts are two of my favourite posts on here for a while insomuch they made me laugh to myself for about ten mins !!!

They sum up Beryl perfectly as I'd been reminiscing and laughing how many times she would give us 'lads' a dressing down !!! Remember her giving. Divvy a right public dressing down at somewhere up North one day and Divvy, like we all did took it on the chin from Beryl because we respected her so much

Just love your quote above ' A put that down .....etc' as I can hear her and see her saying that like it's happening in front of me, bless her

On a serious note she actually prevented a lot of trouble over the years as people to a very large degree would respect her and behave when she intervened - she was as you say a brave lady with real moral guts too

Im still chuckling at the ear bashing and short term 'travel bans'I and many others received from her !!!

Heart the size of a Lion and made of gold

Another Beryl story:

In the old portakabin City Shop there was a panoramic series of photos cellotaped to the class counter. The photo was taken from our 1990 invasion of Bolton towards the end of the promotion season.

It was a great photo with all of the 7000 City fans looking in the same direction, the field of play. Apart from one, me. Standing in the side enclosure with my bucket hat on my head I'm looking towards the Bolton fans who we had recently 'engaged'.

I mentioned to Beryl what a great photo it was and she agreed but then went on to bollock me for being more interested in the aggro and if I carried on like that I'd end up in serious trouble.

As 16 year olds me and my mates received 'Beryl Bans' from CATS after being caught drinking cider. She had the patience of a saint because I was bleeding nause. She always forgave me.

Viva Beryl Fudge.

When I was a kid in the 1970's in Hanham, Beryl was my Sunday School teacher - and I bet not many of them were so skilled in breaking up football crowd trouble ! Beryls' gifts of pens and posters kept me out of the clutches of gas-leaning family and friends so I have her to thank for all my City memories ever since. 

A kind, generous lady and wonderful servant to the club - it would be great if her name could be honoured somehow down the Gate.

1 hour ago, Malaggro is back said:

Another Beryl story:

In the old portakabin City Shop there was a panoramic series of photos cellotaped to the class counter. The photo was taken from our 1990 invasion of Bolton towards the end of the promotion season.

It was a great photo with all of the 7000 City fans looking in the same direction, the field of play. Apart from one, me. Standing in the side enclosure with my bucket hat on my head I'm looking towards the Bolton fans who we had recently 'engaged'.

I mentioned to Beryl what a great photo it was and she agreed but then went on to bollock me for being more interested in the aggro and if I carried on like that I'd end up in serious trouble.

As 16 year olds me and my mates received 'Beryl Bans' from CATS after being caught drinking cider. She had the patience of a saint because I was bleeding nause. She always forgave me.

Viva Beryl Fudge.

Made me laugh again !!!

I spent that game up a floodlight pylon that was conveniently in our end - we took a following that day ! (Don't think it was anywhere near 7000 mind ;) more like 3000 - 3500 but a good following nevertheless)

Lost 1-0 tho ??

A great lady, if a bit frightening at times! I am amazed how she seemed to run most things at the club almost single handledly, if it happened he knew about it.

The club shop and CATS and ticketing all seemed to function perfectly with her in charge, no computers and only a basic till. Yet if you had verbally booked she could recall  instantly and never was wrong. She could be serving one person with coach tickets and be sorting out two or three other things at the same time, certainly an early adopter of multitasking!

Great memories, how far we have come since then, but have we? That old portacabin was great, always feared when it got so crowded and you could feel the floor moving that we'd all drop through one day! 

38 minutes ago, RedM said:

Great memories, how far we have come since then, but have we? That old portacabin was great, always feared when it got so crowded and you could feel the floor moving that we'd all drop through one day! 

It was just the place if you wanted a Bristol City comb, Bristol City G-String emblazoned with 'I always score at Ashton Gate' or a copy of Shag Connors & the Carrot Crunchers 'Bristol City medley'.

You try getting any of the above in the new BS Superstore. They'd look at you odd.

1 hour ago, Malaggro is back said:

It was just the place if you wanted a Bristol City comb, Bristol City G-String emblazoned with 'I always score at Ashton Gate' or a copy of Shag Connors & the Carrot Crunchers 'Bristol City medley'.

You try getting any of the above in the new BS Superstore. They'd look at you odd.

At the last home match we were actually discussing what the old portacabin sold, so when this thread started it made me smile. We remembered programme binders, pencils, pencil cases,  I proudly had one at school (which lasted for years) and not a lot else. Your list has just doubled the stock!

19 hours ago, tts_city said:

I saw one of those coaches as it came back through Bristol down by tempe meads, I must have been about 13 and me and my mum had been to weston for the day and were waiting on a bus stop, I will never forget her face when that coach with every window put out and dented all over pulled up. One of the older lads I used to hang about with Trevor Porch (rip) was in the back, "Alright Steve hows it going"  he shouted and he laughed his head off like a mad man and they drove off, my mums face was a picture.

The two coaches that lost all their windows were privates, running from the Black Horse, Bedminster.

One Supporter's Club coach got done over at Earls Court, the other on the Old Kent Road (after doubling back cos it missed Cold Blow Lane first time around, thereby alerting the locals in the boozer). Neither incidents had anything to do with Beryl (bar the fact that her son Steve... or maybe Dave... was one of the stewards on the latter coach (which only lost one window... mine!).

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

The two coaches that lost all their windows were privates, running from the Black Horse, Bedminster.

One Supporter's Club coach got done over at Earls Court, the other on the Old Kent Road (after doubling back cos it missed Cold Blow Lane first time around, thereby alerting the locals in the boozer). Neither incidents had anything to do with Beryl (bar the fact that her son Steve... or maybe Dave... was one of the stewards on the latter coach (which only lost one window... mine!).

I was on the one that got done at Earls Court. Never heard a sound like it when the window next to your head just explodes with no warning. Truly scary moment and bloody cold all the way back down the M4 with the Millwall fans` kind efforts at introducing an early form of air conditioning. I think we struggled to get coaches for London trips after that as none of the companies wanted to risk it.

Archived