IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread

1 minute ago, cynic said:

Now in the bottom three and looking like we belong there - no point in having possession or playing pretty football if we have no one who can put the ball away at one end or keep a clean sheet at the other.

I've always believed that we could get a mid table position up to today, but now I'm sad to say that its more than likely we will go down.

Not just because of this game against a side who will be relegated as they are abject and who we battered, but because its virtually the same every game and its not good enough to stay up.

SC has been vocal in saying we need a striker, hence the abortive bids for Gayle and Gray. He has ambition but I'm not sure that others in the club have the same ambition.

We need players in January to stand a chance.

The question is whether it is too late to make a difference. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The usual reactionary nonsense. These players may lack quality but "spineless" they are not. Spineless implies a lack of effort and that is not the issue at all.

I'm sorry. This game has been the same as many many others. An inability to capitalize on chances. Not being able to see the game through. Throwing a game away we should have comfortably won. That to me is spineless and gutless.

5 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Have to say it

Loads (not all) on here dont deserve Championship football

Only sing when we are winning

Now is the time to support the team

I would like to agree and normally would but sadly after the almost inevitable penalty miss, far too many of us could have written the rest of todays script and that is when it becomes a worry i'm afraid to say.

Bringing players in next month is far from a given let alone if they will make a difference soon enough.

We will have to hope the club can pull a few genie's out of the bottle. This match, for me, was pivotal in many ways. I think it finally tells us that this current squad is not, in all likelihood, going to keep us up. We all know where we need to strengthen, its not rocket science. The loan signings have not worked, we strengthened insufficiently in the summer so we have 31 days of January to turn our season. I don't think that is being melodramatic. 

5 minutes ago, hortonred said:

Sub standard team and Manager for the Championship. Now back in the bottom three. Who the hell will want to join us in January.Those running our club, both on and off the field, should hang their heads in shame for turning last season's success in to this year's pitiful shambles.

Somehow I don't think they wanted this either.....

Freeman needs to be dropped. I  like Cotts and he's 100% the man to keep us up but he needs to be a bit more reactionary. To see we are only winning 1-0 against a team that was worse than the majority we played last year he should've changed it. Burns Reid Cox Little any of those on would've helped I'm sure. Instead he once again left a sub for the last 5 minutes and they scored. I'm still pretty certain we'll stay up but he NEEDS to use those subs! 

• Like 1

Steve sounds utterly dejected and appears lost as to where we can go from here... somebody needs to have a word with him.. hopefully his wife will cheer him oh... they have to fly up norf tonight so fat chance of that... I hope they come out very very angry at Turf Moor. Trouble is that might mean we get walloped by being way too gung ho. lets see. Gargantuan battle to stay up.. i think we will but it hinges on January window.. what a position to be in.

Edited by havanatopia
3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

:clap: its far from over, despite some on here throwing in the towel

Never mind throwing in the towel!   Can you honestly see this bunch we have atm getting us out of relegation?   You can't put it all down to bad luck, bad refs, the pitch, can't pay the wages etc etc etc.  How much longer can everyone use these excuses, if it doesn't change in the transfer window, we are going down.  Sc on RB now, he sounds very unhappy and says as usual we should have won, but again we didn't.  So who's to blame SC, the players, the board.

5 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Yup, we ain't down yet , just have to keep on fighting . Gonna need to pull out some boro esque results out though

If I hear the "Boro result" once more I think I might scream.  One decent and unexpected result and we're clinging on to it like thats the norm.  Based on the season so far, the Boro result was a pure fluke.

Our season so far does not have us beating the likes of Boro on a regular basis; our season so far has us drawing at home with other relegation fodder (when were lucky) and being tonked by the likes of Rotherham.

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

So, because I picked on Pack earlier I am blaming him for everything?

Jesus H Christ. I used a little exaggeration to make a point. I can't be arsed to trawl through your post history or anything, but your posts on this thread alone have shown that you don't want him playing. "He's lucky to be playing" out of interest who would you have in his position instead? Reid who is a more attacking player and not suited to that role at all? 

You refuse to accept he may have been able to be any good at anything, when confronted with the fact that he had only missed 1 career penalty before today, you immediately claim it to be 100% failure, not 8O% success as was the case. Maybe you can't remember the 2-2 draw with Barnsley last season where he scored the opener from the spot.

• Like 1

Oh dear another two points lost

Again faults in coaching (missed penalty). Again complete ignorance of use of subs

AgaIn inability to defend a lead at home

Again inability to use possession 

No good arguing for new manager, obvious two months ago, as owner won't move on that

It is time for Lansdown to consider his position if he won't address that of the manager

It is clear, as I have been saying for months, that the club is happy with third division football and have based their business plan for the stadium whatever they say on that

Suppprting City is so so frustrating

Sad to say our club is badly run 

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I'm sorry. This game has been the same as many many others. An inability to capitalize on chances. Not being able to see the game through. Throwing a game away we should have comfortably won. That to me is spineless and gutless.

Or maybe it's just a lack of quality and doesn't have anything to do with being spineless or gutless.

1 minute ago, City169 said:

Jesus H Christ. I used a little exaggeration to make a point. I can't be arsed to trawl through your post history or anything, but your posts on this thread alone have shown that you don't want him playing. "He's lucky to be playing" out of interest who would you have in his position instead? Reid who is a more attacking player and not suited to that role at all? 

You refuse to accept he may have been able to be any good at anything, when confronted with the fact that he had only missed 1 career penalty before today, you immediately claim it to be 100% failure, not 8O% success as was the case. Maybe you can't remember the 2-2 draw with Barnsley last season where he scored the opener from the spot.

He shouldn't be playing.  He's lightweight and brings nothing to the team.  Whoop de doo, he scored a penalty once.

We beat Liverpool once too.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Again faults in coaching (missed penalty). Again complete ignorance of use of subs

No good arguing for new manager, obvious two months ago, as owner won't move on that

It is time for Lansdown to consider his position if he won't address that of the manager

It is clear, as I have been saying for months, that the club is happy with third division football and have based their business plan for the stadium whatever they say on that

Lansdown to consider his position? as what shareholder and bank?

Please!....The manager and SL will be having a good think right now!....

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Really? And replace him with whom? Any Russian Billionaires knocking around?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

When the manager appears resigned to the inevitable and doesn't have the answers, there can only be one outcome.

The conclusions you outline, due to my remarks, were not at all lost on me; the key now is for City to somehow persuade the players, we all know they need, to join us. Being in the position of having to do that in an inflated January market place is regrettable. We can keep asking the same question.. why they did not come in the summer when wages was not the issue according to SL; is that the Chairman hanging the gaffer out to dry? Inadvertently? I sincerely hope not.