IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh dear another two points lost

Again faults in coaching (missed penalty). Again complete ignorance of use of subs

AgaIn inability to defend a lead at home

Again inability to use possession 

No good arguing for new manager, obvious two months ago, as owner won't move on that

It is time for Lansdown to consider his position if he won't address that of the manager

It is clear, as I have been saying for months, that the club is happy with third division football and have based their business plan for the stadium whatever they say on that

Suppprting City is so so frustrating

Sad to say our club is badly run 

You were doing OK up until the highlighted bit (although all the coaching in world cannot guarantee a penalty being scored), exactly what do you propose SL actually does?.

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Again faults in coaching (missed penalty). Again complete ignorance of use of subs

No good arguing for new manager, obvious two months ago, as owner won't move on that

It is time for Lansdown to consider his position if he won't address that of the manager

It is clear, as I have been saying for months, that the club is happy with third division football and have based their business plan for the stadium whatever they say on that

Yes you're right, the business plan for a £40 million 27,000 seater stadium is no doubt based on third division football and does not show any ambition to reach higher at all does it.

Just like bidding huge sums for the likes of Gayle and Gray shows how they are "happy" with third division football.

What complete and utter nonsense you are talking.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

You're blaming Cotts for Pack missing the penalty!? Good one! He's scored our last 2 penalties why wouldn't he pick him?!

We had less possession than Charlton yet had 18 shots and twice the corners. You're a loony if you think we're building this stadium for the third division. We're making profit every year whilst teams like Bolton Fulham and forest are investigated for breaking FFP!? How the **** are we badly run? Love the idea of getting rid of lansdowne by the way that's a good one. I'm sure there are loads of billionaire Bristol city fans who won't run up large amounts of debt

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

He shouldn't be playing.  He's lightweight and brings nothing to the team.  Whoop de doo, he scored a penalty once.

We beat Liverpool once too.

He had scored 80% of penalties before today, a very good record, not sure how many times you need to be told that.

As  for "brings nothing to the team" that's utter tripe. Not a glamorous role in the team by any means, but a very important one that he has shown on occasions this season he can do very well. An example, not that you'l pay attention, is the MK Dons game. I watched him specifically in the first half of that game after seeing him becoming the scapegoat on here, and counted 7 crucial interceptions in the first 30 minutes or so alone. Had he not made these, then we would have been in dangerous  positions, certainly would have been goal scoring opportunities for MK.

I don't rate Pack and don't believe he will ever make a quality Championship midfielder, BUT although he has missed the pen - can't really blame him for failing to get 3 pts today. Wilbs and Kodger both missed easy chances, and the fact that Pack (who never looks like scoring) is taking it, presumably is because none of our other more favoured players have the bottle to take responsibility from 12 yards.

Hacked off with Cotts for once again not using his subs, either Wilbs or Kodger should have come off with 15 mins to go, pointless waiting until our lead was lost.

Jan window has to deliver for us, or we are down.

• Like 1

I think OTIB should close down after matches for 12 hours , win, lose or draw , to allow people to calm down abit before posting . Be more reflective , learn how to deal with disappointment ( and today was sickening ) , refrain from blaming individuals often unfairly , and try and understand the nature of football , being a football fan and being a Bristol City fan . It's hard I know but more considered thoughts after a bit of reflection rather knee jerk reactions has to be less divisive . 

Heart is good but head is always better . It's taken me a lifetime to realise , in all aspects of life but it particularly applies to such a passionate thing like following bloody Bristol City . 

14 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

If I hear the "Boro result" once more I think I might scream.  One decent and unexpected result and we're clinging on to it like thats the norm.  Based on the season so far, the Boro result was a pure fluke.

Our season so far does not have us beating the likes of Boro on a regular basis; our season so far has us drawing at home with other relegation fodder (when were lucky) and being tonked by the likes of Rotherham.

Not the norm and doesn't have to be in order to just stay up. Point is we will likely need at least a couple a results like that  against teams around the top to stay up. Get that shouldn't be the limit of our aspirations but for this season I'm not shooting any higher. We are not adrift, we have a pretty reasonable chance of staying up and continuing to positively support is the best thing that can be done in my opinion...or we could just say **** it and throw in the towel. I don't want to do that 

Sad to say I called this outcome before the game so I'm not surprised to see a draw, just more disappointed were not making the most of games. Kodjia is a penalty taker, why not let him take it?

we just can't finish our chances. There is no remedy for that. We have used all our luck last season and have left none for this. Will be very surprised if we're in this league come next season as we can't even beat Bolton and charlton who are in dire straights...

29 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The usual reactionary nonsense. These players may lack quality but "spineless" they are not. Spineless implies a lack of effort and that is not the issue at all.

agreed but a lack of quality and a stubborn manager will see us down, not reactionary being saying it since day one of this season.    Also not reactionary as I questioned cotts lack of use of subs last season when we were winning. 

Change is needed now or we're down, team spirit can only take you so far, and won't last long at this rate.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

My point about Lansdown is that he has to up his game and accept that modern football at this level requires additional investors -plus  use of expert football consultant 

Firstly who in their right mind other than a person equally as minted as SL would want to put money into a football club?, money isn't the problem, the disorganisation of the summer recruitment was firmly at fault and culminated in 2 frankly desperate and almost laughable bids for 2 strikers, secondly IMO 'football consultants are overrated and usually end up causing more problems than they are worth, my first question would is Keith Burt still at the club? if yes exactly what does he do? and what exactly has he done since the end of last season?, I cannot recall the last time I heard his named mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Please remember the stadium is not City's it but Bristol Sport's

To make the stadium work as a business will not require City above third division

I don't believe the high million bids  were serious - just window dressing

If they were serious it was even worse

Still talking rubbish. The stadium may still work as a business with City in the third division, but it'll work better and make more money with them in the Championship. So obviously that's what they will be aiming for as a minimum.

As for the "window dressing" comment...laughable. They were serious attempts to recruit that didn't work out, simple as that. No need for conspiracy theory nonsense.

4 minutes ago, redapple said:

I think OTIB should close down after matches for 12 hours , win, lose or draw , to allow people to calm down abit before posting . Be more reflective , learn how to deal with disappointment ( and today was sickening ) , refrain from blaming individuals often unfairly , and try and understand the nature of football , being a football fan and being a Bristol City fan . It's hard I know but more considered thoughts after a bit of reflection rather knee jerk reactions has to be less divisive . 

Heart is good but head is always better . It's taken me a lifetime to realise , in all aspects of life but it particularly applies to such a passionate thing like following bloody Bristol City . 

Hardly kneejerk after this many games into a season and seeing no change in ability or tactics.

This season should have seen us kick on after the last, instead we look lost with a Manager that won't adapt and players not appearing to be of sufficient quality.

not great with the momentum we'd built and AG ready next year.

but hey ho we're BCFC so we shouldn't expect anymore I guess.

8 minutes ago, RumRed said:

agreed but a lack of quality and a stubborn manager will see us down, not reactionary being saying it since day one of this season.    Also not reactionary as I questioned cotts lack of use of subs last season when we were winning. 

Change is needed now or we're down, team spirit can only take you so far, and won't last long at this rate.

If you were saying that after 1 game then that is ridiculously reactionary, pathetically so. 

It's not just the fact that we dropped two precious points.

It's that we dropped them right at the very death....

and that Franchise Dons won so close to the end of their game...

and that Huddersfield and Rotherhan trounced their opposition and got 3 points.

Those three go into their next games on a high while we travel up to high-flying Burnley (who will be looking to puts things right) on a depressing low.

Christ! - after Pack's miss it seemed inevitable that we'd **** it up - and we did!

Right now I'd take three points every time, any way we can - no matter how crap we play.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

The problem lies with the manager and has always lain with the manager this season 

Given the inability of the owner (the chairman and Board seem conspicuous by their absence) to replace the manager then

- SC should fall on his sword, before all is lost 

But I can only foresee continuing downward spiral

I pray to god we can stabilise in third division next season, but, as said before, I am nervous of falling further

4 wins in 23 must give even the blind optimists on otib to have doubts

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

If you were saying that after 1 game then that is ridiculously reactionary, pathetically so. 

I was saying that before the first game due to the debacle of the summer recruitment policy, if you think that was reactionary look at the table.  I'm sure there were a few that thought the same.

11 minutes ago, redapple said:

I think OTIB should close down after matches for 12 hours , win, lose or draw , to allow people to calm down abit before posting . Be more reflective , learn how to deal with disappointment ( and today was sickening ) , refrain from blaming individuals often unfairly , and try and understand the nature of football , being a football fan and being a Bristol City fan . 

I'm not having that. Some of the best threads have been based on anger fueled unreasonableness.

4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I was saying that before the first game due to the debacle of the summer recruitment policy, if you think that was reactionary look at the table.  I'm sure there were a few that thought the same.

how can predicting relegation before a ball has been kicked, or after 1 game as you originally claimed, be anything other than reactionary? 

yes i can see the table, I  can see that  we have just dropped into the relegation zone from todays  results, but can also see that is is down to goal difference alone, and 3 points separate us from Fulham in 18th. I can also see we have 23 games left, that's 69 points to play for.

Edited by City169
3 button was sticking
3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The problem lies with the manager and has always lain with the manager this season 

Given the inability of the owner (the chairman and Board seem conspicuous by their absence) to replace the manager then

- SC should fall on his sword, before all is lost 

But I can only foresee continuing downward spiral

I pray to god we can stabilise in third division next season, but, as said before, I am nervous of falling further

4 wins in 23 must give even the blind optimists on otib to have doubts

Blimey, we are gd away from safety, and we are being pencilled in as struggling in Div 1 next year?

SC must of course take a share of the blame for it, but this is mainly the squad we will have until the end of the season. It does not seem to be an issue of effort, but of quality. Could a new manager get more out of this squad? Not so sure.

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

how can predicting relegation before a ball has been kicked, or after 1 game as you originally claimed, be anything other than reactionary? 

yes i can see the table, I  can see that  we have just dropped into the relegation zone from todays  results, but can also see that is is down to goal difference alone, and 3 points separate us from Fulham in 18th. I can also see we have 23 games left, that's 69 points to play for.

Fair points, and yes we may make it to safety, I just see it as a huge opportunity that's been missed.