IGNORED

So will City completely balls up another transfer window?

Lord Northski

The summer promised so much. "Bristol Sport" talked a good game, but with the exception of JK nothing happened and the close season turned into empty promises and missed opportunities and finds us at the foot of the league. I had so much faith in Cotts and his crew after the 2014 close season that they would repeat their proactive approach to transfers, but they started this new season with egg on their face and are rightly paying the penalty of this omnishambles. Be it the management, be it the board or Bristol Sport, between them they combined to not capitalise on the momentum they had. 

As such, in the eve of another transfer window the pressure is on the club and its self congratutory sharp suited executives to do their job. Sign the players we need and keep us in the Championship. Get to work

It won't be easy to attract "quality" players that's for sure.

City weren't able to attract quality players last summer and our situation is even worse this time around.

Cotterill won't want players who - in his opinion- won't strengthen the current squad and I for one won't criticise him, or any manager for adopting that position.

i expect very few, if any signings but Cotterill will undoubtedly use the loan market in an attempt to stay up.

44 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

The summer promised so much. "Bristol Sport" talked a good game, but with the exception of JK nothing happened and the close season turned into empty promises and missed opportunities and finds us at the foot of the league. I had so much faith in Cotts and his crew after the 2014 close season that they would repeat their proactive approach to transfers, but they started this new season with egg on their face and are rightly paying the penalty of this omnishambles. Be it the management, be it the board or Bristol Sport, between them they combined to not capitalise on the momentum they had. 

As such, in the eve of another transfer window the pressure is on the club and its self congratutory sharp suited executives to do their job. Sign the players we need and keep us in the Championship. Get to work

It's nothing to do with with Bristol Sport who we sign. They are just there to promote the club, commercially. I can't understand the confusion. It was down to BCFC to get the right players in. 

Despite our low position, I still feel the club are attractive to players of a certain level because of the stadium and general work of the club in the past couple years. I'm sure any potentials players would be made aware of money available for new players and the chairmans determination to get us to Premier League. 

I am probably being over optimistic about January.

Given the pressure on the club to make up for the summer fiasco, I hope signings are already lined up to be announced, including another one or two 'Kodjias', ie good value younger players from France or Spain, given our scouting efforts over there.

No doubt we'll just bring in someone from league 1 who will keep the bench warm for us!

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

City weren't able to attract quality players last summer and our situation is even worse this time around.

Cotterill won't want players who - in his opinion- won't strengthen the current squad and I for one won't criticise him, or any manager for adopting that position.

i expect very few, if any signings but Cotterill will undoubtedly use the loan market in an attempt to stay up.

I'll think you'll find we did manage to attract very decent players , the board just ****ed it up and pulled the rug from under steve's feet...

The Board have lots of work to do this Jan to save face in My opinion!

The Summer was a complete farce and destroyed any potential promotion momentum that we could have had to ensure there would be no repeat of anything close to our last '1st championship season'

We are losing 3 players any day with most of them not being the promised 'better than what we already had'

Realistically we need to bring in 5/6 good quality players and excuses of 'inflated transfer fee's' and 'sky high wages' will be totally unacceptable this time around.

If this doesn't happen, I expect us to be relegated without doubt which should be followed by the resignation of manager and chairman.

in all honesty if we've not seen a player signed before the reading game, I believe many a eyebrow will be raised.

6 minutes ago, Bowie said:

The Summer was a complete farce and destroyed any potential promotion momentum that we could have had to ensure there would be no repeat of anything close to our last '1st championship season'

We are losing 3 players any day with most of them not being the promised 'better than what we already had'

Realistically we need to bring in 5/6 good quality players and excuses of 'inflated transfer fee's' and 'sky high wages' will be totally unacceptable this time around.

If this doesn't happen, I expect us to be relegated without doubt which should be followed by the resignation of manager and chairman.

in all honesty if we've not seen a player signed before the reading game, I believe many a eyebrow will be raised.

Well I don't think the window is open until that day. Doesn't mean moves shouldn't already be close to done if we mean business but if by Preston we haven't signed a few it'll be quite poor especially considering some loans are ending soon. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the early announcement of the signing of Bennett suggests that we probably won't make the same mistake twice. (If the always accurate rumours are true of course!)

Everything points to it happening , hope it does now as it would be doubly disappointing if it didn`t. As long as we don`t find out he`s just a kitchen fetishist who has to have a new one every six months I think we`re in!

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for the best of League 1, either they help us stay up and we can attempt to have a better summer or the worst happens and we've equipped ourselves for attempting to go straight back up and Cotterill would be the man for the job should we go down. So the likes of Bentley, Bradshaw, Dack etc.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for the best of League 1, either they help us stay up and we can attempt to have a better summer or the worst happens and we've equipped ourselves for attempting to go straight back up and Cotterill would be the man for the job should we go down. So the likes of Bentley, Bradshaw, Dack etc.

I`ve been thinking this for a while now. The likes of Conor Hourihane (24), Conor Washington (23), Matt Done (27), Ian Henderson (30), Peter Vincenti (29), Kemar Roofe (22) (L2 I know) & even Curtis Nelson (22) from Plymouth would all be young and hungry and if the worst did happen, we`d be well set to go again. You could probably get all of those for the price of one Dwight Gayle or Andre Gray as well. Nelson, Vincenti and Hourihane all have captaincy experience, in fact Nelson was appointed captain at 21.

2 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I'll think you'll find we did manage to attract very decent players , the board just ****ed it up and pulled the rug from under steve's feet...

The Board have lots of work to do this Jan to save face in My opinion!

City had two bids accepted in the summer . Gayle and Grey. Neither agreed to sign for us.

Its hardly "the boards" fault if player choose not to join us.

I, and I'm sure many other otib users would like to know what other decent players that City attracted.....

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, I must be out of the loop, what's with the kitchen thing ?

I guess people must have seen the same tweet (Twitter) that I did a few weeks ago and are guessing he has signed. Basically he was meeting with a Bristol based kitchen designer, and you aren't going to do that if you haven't bought property in the area, hence rumours of him signing. Well that's what my impressions were and perhaps now other people too.

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

I guess people must have seen the same tweet (Twitter) that I did a few weeks ago and are guessing he has signed. Basically he was meeting with a Bristol based kitchen designer, and you aren't going to do that if you haven't bought property in the area, hence rumours of him signing. Well that's what my impressions were and perhaps now other people too.

He's got a part time job over Xmas, doing up Curbishley's pad :whistle:

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

ah, cheers

7 hours ago, brad blit said:

Despite our low position, I still feel the club are attractive to players of a certain level because of the stadium and general work of the club in the past couple years. I'm sure any potentials players would be made aware of money available for new players and the chairmans determination to get us to Premier League. 

I don't think the stadium is relevant....players go to clubs because of footballing ambitions and money. Not because of how the stands look...

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nail on the head right there,we couldn't attract players when we were on a crest of a wave,so god knows what loan signings cotts is going to fill the bench with this window :fastasleep:

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think the stadium is relevant....players go to clubs because of footballing ambitions and money. Not because of how the stands look...

I disagree. It's not the most important factor but it does add to the overall impression of a club, its ambition and stature. If City and Rovers were in the same division offering the same money, where would you rather play your football?

27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I disagree. It's not the most important factor but it does add to the overall impression of a club, its ambition and stature. If City and Rovers were in the same division offering the same money, where would you rather play your football?

I'd go to the club most likely to get promoted...like Andre Gray did...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'd go to the club most likely to get promoted...like Andre Gray did...

Agreed. Like I said, not the most important factor. But you could argue that the club with the better infrastructure is best placed for long term success, although players probably don't look that long term.

Archived