IGNORED

Bobby Reid

GrahamC

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

And how many were eager to receive the ball from him. I've seen us lose possession countless times because we have no movement and someone inevitably holds on too long. I wasn't there so I don't know but seems easy to blame it on Bobby for that especially when you don't play him very often. Can't be that surprised that he isn't used to the speed of the game. I don't even need to see Bobby be better or worse than Luke. I need to see him so I can decide then because in his limited time he has been better. So I want to see it over a period of time. 

he could of dinked it over to kodjia or played a simple ball to wilbs who was right by him

3 minutes ago, smokey live said:

he could of dinked it over to kodjia or played a simple ball to wilbs who was right by him

I'm sorry but how come you're not talking about all the times Freeman failed to find his man. Including over hitting numerous passes to Kodjia?

17 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Hahaha, has anyone seen the goal? Reid gets dispossessed yes, but it goes through the rest of the midfield and to just inside our half to a SINGLE PLAYER who happens to run just outside the box and get a shot away. Failings from effectively 5 defenders.

So look ive just got back and i am still fuming so i guess i need to be careful what i say until i calm down.

but lets just for the sake of this debate accept that Bobby contributed to the goal we conceded, i have yet to see it on TV 

however some points from me.

firstly no way did either side deserve to win the game, yes Reading had the better chances, but they are a shadow of the team that graced AG a couple of months ago.

both sets of Players gave the ball away consistently for 90 mins, inclusive of the undropables as i know call them !

its unfortunate that Bobby, who was on for 12 mins gave the ball away once and it bit him on the proverbials.

however here is my point, LF has been the subject of criticism for some weeks now, and rightly so at times, but today he was no worse or no better  than anybody else, so why on earth was he substituted for Bobby in the first place when Kodjia or Wibbs should have left the field for Wes to run at them.

i promise you, Reading were there to be beaten today if we had shown just some positivity.

if Bobby was to blame for the defeat, then sobeit, but i tell you this, one man needs to look at himself much more deeply than Bobby  for making that call in the first place.

wes and Bobby warmed up for the best part of 10 mins, then Wes was told to stay warm while Bobby came on.

he then stripped off and stood by the sideline with Cotts for a full 3 more minutes until Reading scored.

then he entered the field of play.

by then the damage was done, kodjia today was awful and i meam awful, greedy, poor shooting, poor decison making.

he would not have scored if he stayed until midnight, now if Wes could not replace him today after 70 mins, then clearly its time to wave the white flag and move on, same with Bobby.

then we can all stop this can they cant they be trusted crap.

they clearly cant be trusted as SC showed all to plainly today !!!!!

13 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

So look ive just got back and i am still fuming so i guess i need to be careful what i say until i calm down.

but lets just for the sake of this debate accept that Bobby contributed to the goal we conceded, i have yet to see it on TV 

however some points from me.

firstly no way did either side deserve to win the game, yes Reading had the better chances, but they are a shadow of the team that graced AG a couple of months ago.

both sets of Players gave the ball away consistently for 90 mins, inclusive of the undropables as i know call them !

its unfortunate that Bobby, who was on for 12 mins gave the ball away once and it bit him on the proverbials.

however here is my point, LF has been the subject of criticism for some weeks now, and rightly so at times, but today he was no worse or no better  than anybody else, so why on earth was he substituted for Bobby in the first place when Kodjia or Wibbs should have left the field for Wes to run at them.

i promise you, Reading were there to be beaten today if we had shown just some positivity.

if Bobby was to blame for the defeat, then sobeit, but i tell you this, one man needs to look at himself much more deeply than Bobby  for making that call in the first place.

wes and Bobby warmed up for the best part of 10 mins, then Wes was told to stay warm while Bobby came on.

he then stripped off and stood by the sideline with Cotts for a full 3 more minutes until Reading scored.

by then the damage was done, kodjia today was awful and i meam awful, greedy, poor shooting, poor decison making.

he would not have scored if he stayed until midnight, now if Wes could not replace him today after 70 mins, then clearly its time to wave the white flag and move on, same with Bobby.

Sounds like Wes is at a bit of a crossroads. Does he wait and see what happens manager-wise or just accept now that he isn`t going to get a look in and try to move on?

I`m sure he will receive the right advice from those around him that care about his future but for what it`s worth I think it probably doesn`t lie here, certainly not under the current regime. A change of manager though and who knows? If he does choose to move on it will be a shame as I`m sure he has the ability to make it.

I thought BR was excellent today when he came on, ok he dwelled on the ball once and lost it, but it happens! I thought Freeman was excellent as well, in fact I think EVERY player gave his all today. We just lack that killer instinct and desperately need a 'fox in the box' striker.

Kodja put balls along the goaline in both halfs which were tap ins for a goal scorer today, unfortunately we didn't have anyone with the instinct to get in the right place for these crosses.

31 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

This has now happened twice to Wes, against Charlton as well, he's been given about a minute and half of injury time after the opposition have scored.

Utterly pointless.

Either give him a minimum of 20 minutes or don't bother at all, Steve..

I fear what Cotts will have seen today us in making a sub with 8 to go it cost him the game.

I have no idea if Burns, Reid, even Cox etc would have been good enough in the first 25 games. What I do know is what we are trying now is not working. There have been more than enough occasions this season with a game gone to let them have a run and get some match minutes under their belt. Just seems stubbornness now to be honest.

15 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I think you'll find that Smith would walk into most championship teams, Pack is league one at best.

the other thing is that they're not really a pairing, Smith does a lot of work off the ball, breaks up play, then passes to Pack whose job is to link Midfield to Forward ideally. Unfortunately Packs first movement is backwards, often putting the defence in trouble I can think of 4 times at Burnley that this happened. I don't really blame Pack, definitely not Freeman either it's the formation, it's completely wrong for the majority of opposition we play and using the same 11 every week makes us pretty simple to work out. 

In my mind there's simply one thing for it.......

Not sure about Smith walking into most other teams but Pack is definitely not up to standard.

They're two midfielders who play next to each other....I see that as a pairing, the problem is that it doesn't work, week in week out they (mostly Pack) make awful decisions when in possession and put the whole team on the back foot.

Freeman is our only player in the middle with any attacking flair, as soon as the opposition keep him off the ball we revert to 50yd cross field passes to Bryan (when picked) that's why I'd like to see Reid and Freeman both on the pitch.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I know with a squad of about 19 we aren't exactly spoilt for choice, but really disappointing to see him not given a start again today.

We've failed to score in five of our last six away games, which suggests that just picking the same 3 midfielders ad infinitum is probably not the solution. At present we have no viable alternative to either Pack or Smith but we do have one for Freeman and it is Bobby.

I hear all this "he is only effective for an hour" stuff but would much prefer that was given a try and Freeman (or even Waggy if we were holding on) replacing him late on.

Anyway, we badly need at least a point today so good luck to those taking the field in red..

Agree. He looked sharp when he came on, should have come on much earlier, 

The thing about Wes and Bobby, and the debate as to whether they are good enough, surely has to take into account that over the period in which they have been our primary back up (which may change this month), the players in front of them have hardly set the world alight.

If they'd been given 20-30 minutes in place of those holding the shirts, and been shown to offer nothing better in those cameos, we could stop the debate there, as we'd have the proof.

But for me; during the time that we've seen little from (for example) Freeman, and in games where we've been comprehensively beaten by the 70th minute, the fact we just sit the same (often clearly tiring) players in there means we aren't even trying out these options in a risk-free environment, which is poor.

It signals our manager literally doesn't believe that, even after being beaten, the other players in our squad deserve game time.

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nor do I.

However there is a difference between "expect" and "want", we've (the Derby game aside) effectively played the same 11 or 12 (as you say, it is Bryan or Williams) for quite some while now and results haven't been good enough.

Would Moore for Ayling, Reid for Freeman or controversially Burns (for 1 goal in his last 8 games) Kodjia really not be at least worth a try?

yes

On 2 January 2016 at 14:25, pigeon said:

I can see this being another Bolasie situation where we deprive him of playing time, force him out the door and watch him turn into a valuable player. 

Reid has bags of potential and it must be infuriating to see Freeman have poor performance after poor performance and yet he is still picked before him! 

Will never hack it or be a first team regular at any championship club..decent league one is still a way off..

Would any of our losses been avoided if we'd played Reid & Burns more often (couldn't be less FFS), possibly, indeed it's difficult not to imagine at least yesterday's game having a differnt outcome if Burns was playing alongside Kodjia for at least 45 minutes rather than 4 with the game already lost.

@djb6162 I'd love to know what's Wes is thinking, with the transfer window opening I hope he stays and gets a chance as I honestly believe his pace and control will trouble many defences at this level especially if given a game with Kodjia.

Ive got to say I rate Wes highly and a full season at league one level IMHO would have championship teams lining up for him, not to say he's not got a part to play at City but I get the feeling he got the 2 minutes ahead of Agard because he's stil unfit (I hope, I'm wrong)

Under a new manager he would thrive as I believe he'd definitely get more game time, Yet I seriously doubt that'll happen unless he walks (fingers crossed, sorry to say). However he has to do what's correct for him and his international career and not playing is not a good start.

Hes a Bristol City player and been through the ranks, seems to have a great attitude so we all obviously want him to do well, my question is will he wait around for his chance, or will he do what I personally thinks best for him and seek first team football (which he'd get more chance of under a new manager, which is where we will be next season if league one is our fate). 

Whatever the answer I wish him well as I have a feeling if he does leave he will come back to haunt us.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want your views aired publicly.

Thanks for reading.

I would give bobby a run instead of freeman just because in the small chances hes had he seems to be more aware of kodjas runs etc and freeman just isn't linking up well enough with kodja. The result is kodja has to create every chance for himself. Against reading kodja seemed to run offside alot , partly due to the fact he never receives a through ball from freeman. Also after a few bad games our midfield isn't working so a change will be good.

I just hope of bobby has a good game at wba SC would keep him in team for Preston?

I've probably mentioned this a few times recently, so apologies, but if SC is going to persist with 352 (not too much doubt I think) then I'd prefer to see Freeman given a rest and Bobby given a chance, but okay it as either a flat 3 or Pack holding and Korey just right of centre and Bobby just left of centre.  

I think this would keep our wingbacks from being quite so exposed, and would almost make it feel like a traditional 4 across the midfield or defensive minded 5 depending on how you look at it.

The Freeman-in-the-hole role just isn't working.  I think individually he has been a bit better in the last month, but is not contributing enough for the freedom he is given and the creative expectancy.  I feel a little sorry for him, because it is a tough position ' role in thus division, very little time or space and often up against that destructive midfielder that everyone seems to have but we don't!

How about this....I get the impression Kodijia likes playing as a lone striker, and likes a through ball. Didn't he play like that in France?

Reid and Freeman would give plenty of options....and give a bit of depth to midfield....just thinking outside the box a little.

____________________________________FF__________________________________________

--------------------------Ayling------------------------Flint------------------------------Baker---------------------------------

Bennet---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan

-----------------------------------------Pack-----------------------Smith--------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------Reid---------------------------------------------------------------Freeman-------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------Kodijia----------------------------------------------------------------------

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

How about this....I get the impression Kodijia likes playing as a lone striker, and likes a through ball. Didn't he play like that in France?

Reid and Freeman would give plenty of options....and give a bit of depth to midfield....just thinking outside the box a little.

____________________________________FF__________________________________________

--------------------------Ayling------------------------Flint------------------------------Baker---------------------------------

Bennet---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan

-----------------------------------------Pack-----------------------Smith--------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------Reid---------------------------------------------------------------Freeman-------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------Kodijia----------------------------------------------------------------------

could work. I like 4-5-1. As when attacking can be 4-4-3. Agreed we need more quality ball to kodja and correct he played up top on his own in most games in France. And we should be trying different formations / set ups as our current formation ain't working defensively or going forward.

@spudski it's got legs.  It's almost a 343.  Reid and Freeman would nullify each full back when we aren't in possession, which would mean our WBs would be less exposed, which in turn would our wide CBs wouldn't get hit into the channels so often.  Also, Kodjia would only need to close down the 2 CDs, rather than him and Wilbs shuttling the whole width.

Just add some other feedback, could you make a case for Bennett being Reid, and Little being Bennett?  Think a Freeman would be playing the role he played at Stevenage?

I think we could really make it difficult for teams to play out from the back with this set up.

it would probably mean our WBs a]have less space as they'd likely have Reid / Freeman blocking their width.  I guess this is where you'd hope Reid / Freeman would play narrower when we've got the ball....and get closer to Kodjia.

On 3 January 2016 at 22:46, YorkshireSection said:

Would any of our losses been avoided if we'd played Reid & Burns more often (couldn't be less FFS), possibly, indeed it's difficult not to imagine at least yesterday's game having a differnt outcome if Burns was playing alongside Kodjia for at least 45 minutes rather than 4 with the game already lost.

@djb6162 I'd love to know what's Wes is thinking, with the transfer window opening I hope he stays and gets a chance as I honestly believe his pace and control will trouble many defences at this level especially if given a game with Kodjia.

Ive got to say I rate Wes highly and a full season at league one level IMHO would have championship teams lining up for him, not to say he's not got a part to play at City but I get the feeling he got the 2 minutes ahead of Agard because he's stil unfit (I hope, I'm wrong)

Under a new manager he would thrive as I believe he'd definitely get more game time, Yet I seriously doubt that'll happen unless he walks (fingers crossed, sorry to say). However he has to do what's correct for him and his international career and not playing is not a good start.

Hes a Bristol City player and been through the ranks, seems to have a great attitude so we all obviously want him to do well, my question is will he wait around for his chance, or will he do what I personally thinks best for him and seek first team football (which he'd get more chance of under a new manager, which is where we will be next season if league one is our fate). 

Whatever the answer I wish him well as I have a feeling if he does leave he will come back to haunt us.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want your views aired publicly.

Thanks for reading.

Wes has potential at this level,..why he can't get a good few 30min runs from the bench plus an occasional start I'm not sure....or maybe I am.

Archived