IGNORED

Cotterell Sacked [confirmed]

Buckeyed

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't remember either of those statements, I am sure you would love to have him try to sue you, so you can play the "poor little me card" to the press like the Blackpool fan did with Oyston. I have seen your posts about SL before, your main beef seems to be that he has money and spends it as he sees fit, not the way you want him to. If the roles were reversed i am sure you would be equally upset at someone calling you a liar in print and yet unable to "recall" when the lie was said.

My main beef has never been about the money, it has been the underhanded way he has taken control of the club and ripped up the safe guards put in place after 82.

He can waste his money as he sees fi,t he seems good at it.

I am not going to go looking for these statements for you, as one was said, the other on tthe other hand was in printed media is you want to go and look yourself.

24 minutes ago, TRL said:

you have to mention his lies to have any sort of reason to bring a legal team in.

I will of course mention one.

He said on the pitch for all to hear that he would quit if AV didn't happen

oh and for a second, he said he would not appoint Millen as manager as he did not have enough experience..... two games latter under cCoppell. I could go on, I  sincerely hope the liar is reading.

You need to look up the definition of the word 'lie'. 

What SL has said in the two examples you've cited are statements based on hopes with many moving pieces not all within his control. 

To lie is to 'deceive or intentionally give a false statement'. 

I don't think in your 2 examples that SL 'intentionally' wanted those 2 scenarios to occur. 

I concur that SL has certainly made some poor decisions in his time here, but he's not a liar. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I recall something like 'mark my words that stadium will be built'. He was on the pitch and got a rousing applause. 

I too recall when Millen was caretaker him saying he was not considered at that time for the job because of his inexperience. 

Exactly, AV will be built, and then went on saying if other didnot match his ambition and it was not built he would walk away for some who could carry the project forward.

And the Millen comment, thank you 29AR, I am glad i am not the only person who remembers this

4 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

Never wanted him, glad he's gone after the summer/ 1st half of this season/ 1st 2 weeks of Jan.  Saying that he has given me some of the greatest football memories of my life - Bradford away.  For last season I am eternally greatful. But he had to go now IMO.

Teams have worked us out.  

Unrealistic transfer targets in the summer and nothing planned for January.  

His instance of 3-5-2.  

Same 11, same tactics, same formation, we were destined for relegation if he had continued.  At least now we have some home of change and the outside chance of staying up.  L1 is dire.  

You would like to think that the board already have someone else lined up.  If not it's a shambles.

Very grateful for last season.

But I'm glad he's gone. We are not a bad side, I'm confident we can survive now. He seems like a truly unlikeable man - I believe he told a young local referee upon introduction to "get the **** out my dressing room before I make you" at this season's friendly with Bath. There's being a winner and there's being an arsehole. Glad we are no longer associated.

Whilst last season was amazing and one that I will certainly never forget I believe that the sacking of Steve Cotterill is 100% the right decision as he is a complete one trick pony. However, sentiment has got in the way and he has been given far too long. He should have gone after the Fulham game, and most definitely after his outburst after the Derby game. How any manager can so stubbornly continue with a formation that has seen us leak the most goals in the division as well as ignoring completely what is happening in the game to wait until the 83rd and 89th minute respectively before making a substitution is absolutely bonkers. It is such a shame, I thought he was the messiah, but we're going down and need a miracle man to keep us up. The board have probably contacted Benny Lennartson already. We love repeating the same mistakes at Bristol City.

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Of pissing off the players by sacking a man they were firmly behind? For someone with so much inside knowledge you don't know much.

This theory that the players were right behind him keeps getting banded about -

genuine q - where is the evidence of this ??

I always thought the lack of reference to the manager was noticeable in interviews, even during last years celebrations

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So they show no real indication publicly but lots'privately' (which is secret enough that you can't relay even know n general terms)

They were behind him all the way, which is what I said before. The players have said plenty about him in interviews since he's been here, Wilbraham said he was the best manager he's played under as recently as last week in the Football League Paper. Plenty of other examples.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

They were behind him all the way, which is what I said before. The players have said plenty about him in interviews since he's been here, Wilbraham said he was the best manager he's played under as recently as last week in the Football League Paper. Plenty of other examples.

Fair enough - Must have missed some stuff - heard some different ideas and didn't see the bond myself but  it's irrelevant now anyway

1 hour ago, TRL said:

you have to mention his lies to have any sort of reason to bring a legal team in.

I will of course mention one.

He said on the pitch for all to hear that he would quit if AV didn't happen

oh and for a second, he said he would not appoint Millen as manager as he did not have enough experience..... two games latter under cCoppell. I could go on, I  sincerely hope the liar is reading.

To be fair they cannot be called lies as they could be explained as a change of mind.

Another one would be SL's promise that a fans representative would be appointed to the board "when they had earned it" - again, maybe SL just changed his mind.

Maybe though robin4ever had different "lies" in mind, who knows...

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

I wouldn't say I was 'happy' as that would a strange emotion to feel about someone who gave us last season being sacked, but I do feel it is the right decision and if I'm honest I felt he should go a week or two ago to give the next guy some sort of chance of bringing in the players we so desperately need.

Good luck to the new guy. They'll enjoy the same lack of support as the old regime.

2 hours ago, CalgaryRed said:

Right decision. We owe thanks to Cotts for two years' service and a fantastic season in 2014-15. But we were losing the plot. I don't blame the board for last summer's transfer failings. They were willing to stump up the cash. I don't think we can say SL over the years has been shy about (sensible) transfer market activity. I suspect people didn't want to come here because Cotts is not the most liked manager. Now that is a challenge today for all clubs. Old style management does not cut it with today's pampered footballers. It started in the Prem but has cascaded down to other divisions. Some of us might regret that but let's face it the old "up and at 'em" "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen" style of management that worked under Cloughie, Sir Alex, Shanks or even more recently Colin or even Mourinho is out, just as it is in all walks of life. Can you get 20 year olds to willingly put in extra hours or postpone their expectations where you work ? Hmm, didn't think so. And footballers are generally not the brightest bunch. It's the Jurgen Klopp style that's in today...tactical nous but the arm round the shoulder style - not the threats of cleaning of boots and cold showers. An aging disciplinarian like Colin ain't gonna work. What - or who - will work in this situation? I don't know but the Board probably have someone in mind. Let's hope they choose wisely.

I was in Calgary for 6 years....just thought I would mention that.

Stevo

My 10 cents worth.

SC did give us one fantastic season.  He brought this club from its knees and transformed it quickly.  For that his has my admiration and my respect.

However we are as a club broken.  There is a disconnect somewhere.  Its alarming that we are unable to recruit anyone. The buck stops somewhere and unfortunatly its with guy who is judged on his results and results alone.  I am not sure that is totally fair.

Our transfer sagas are well documented, somebody other than SC needs to take a long hard look at themselves and ask, have they done everything possible to back him.  Sadly the answer is no.  Momentum shifted to a negative so quickly.  We were totally unprepared for this league. That cannot fall squarely on SC shoulders.

We need to start hearing the right noises coming from the board.  I am hoping they have someone lined up, as his departure was swift.

I stated last night in a post, that if we are unable to attract the correct players for whatever reason, then we need to attract the right manager. Recruitment is key to our survival, and if we continue to go after players that dont wont come, then the outlook looks bleak.

However put a package together for the right man.  Go as high profile as possible.  The board states it wants premier league football, well its starts today.  If we can spend 9million on one player, surely we have the resources to get that kind of manager.  Get him in, and the players might follow.

Thanks Steve for that last two years, and good luck in the future.

Stevo

23 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

My 10 cents worth.

SC did give us one fantastic season.  He brought this club from its knees and transformed it quickly.  For that his has my admiration and my respect.

However we are as a club broken.  There is a disconnect somewhere.  Its alarming that we are unable to recruit anyone. The buck stops somewhere and unfortunatly its with guy who is judged on his results and results alone.  I am not sure that is totally fair.

Our transfer sagas are well documented, somebody other than SC needs to take a long hard look at themselves and ask, have they done everything possible to back him.  Sadly the answer is no.  Momentum shifted to a negative so quickly.  We were totally unprepared for this league. That cannot fall squarely on SC shoulders.

We need to start hearing the right noises coming from the board.  I am hoping they have someone lined up, as his departure was swift.

I stated last night in a post, that if we are unable to attract the correct players for whatever reason, then we need to attract the right manager. Recruitment is key to our survival, and if we continue to go after players that dont wont come, then the outlook looks bleak.

However put a package together for the right man.  Go as high profile as possible.  The board states it wants premier league football, well its starts today.  If we can spend 9million on one player, surely we have the resources to get that kind of manager.  Get him in, and the players might follow.

Thanks Steve for that last two years, and good luck in the future.

Stevo

And this is the big one, if you want premiership football you need to show amibition and bring the those with the required experience and quality to do it, this starts with the manager.  If they go the cheap option, no one's going to take us seriously and we're going to struggle to attract players anywhere near the quality needed AGAIN. If they want prem football they need a man at the helm who can deliver it and as you said, its pointless throwing multi-million pound bids around only to skimp on the guy who actually builds and defines the team!

Thanks for the memories though Steve, you created abit of history for yourself, us and the club that we'll all always be greatful for and well remembered.

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

I agree few players that we have were behind him all the way, he had clearly lost the plot but not the dressing room.  What's to say they won't get behind the new manager? 

Really disappointed by this. I thought he was an honest guy who was doing the best he could, and he he would have worked hard to get it right. We are not far away from where we want to be. The step up is a big one from league 1 to the championship and as long as we stay in it, and I believe he would have kept us up, that would have been great after last season.

feel a bit deflated now...

thanks SC for all the hard work in turning our club round.

seriously who is guna do any better??

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

More I think about it this strikes me as a decision that has been made very recently.

To back him signing a keeper Tuesday surely meant at that point they were not planning of firing him. Then the press conference today.

Maybe something has gone on since this afternoon for this to have happened?

To be fair though we had to sign a keeper. Fielding out (presuming still as not seen anything on the site - not unusual though), so we would have been relying on a rookie keeper with an even more inexperienced keeper as back up.

I think the final nail was the loss to Preston. I would think/hope that someone is lined up though, it seems crazy to sack him right now in the middle of the window otherwise though.

Shocked beyond belief that SC has been sacked. I would like to make the following observations: 

1. SC rescued the team when it was at its lowest point and heading towards relegation under SOD. It is worth pointing out that the last managerial appointments of this board have been nothing more than abject failure Coppell, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll. Our success has nothing to do with the leadership of the Board. 

2. With some astute signings he led the club through its most successful season in recent times. However, he did not spend wildly and achieved considerable success with a relative small squad and some smart loan signings. I can't think that he brought in one bad player. Even El Abd came when our defence was woeful and needed some resilience added. He did that. He also cleared the decks and got rid of players who were overpaid squad players.  

3. He played a brand of refreshing football that was great to watch. 

4. I will never forget the night in Bradford when we totally murdered a strong and powerful side with free flowing attacking football. Arguably the best performance I can recall in the last 5/6 years. For the success he achieved, SC will rightly have a place in BCFC history and the respect of its support. 

5. it did not appear to me that the players were not playing for him. Our performances have generally been good without getting the points. 

Clearly football is a results business and objectively what has been achieved this season is not good enough. Other managers have been sacked for far less. However, the lack of communication about policy, including transfers was bewildering. I personally fail to see that this was squarely at the door of SC. I know for fact that past managers have had players imposed on them by the board and McInnes, for example, was allegedly given the team sheet by JL on occasions..... SC would not stand for this which is why he refused to accept the title of Head Coach. However, he was still required to work within the structure. It was inevitable that there would be a clash at some point. 

This leads me on to the following points:

1. In my view all was not well within the club over the summer and clearly the inconsistency in what was being said by SC and SL was inevitably going to lead to a collision. SC was moody and appeared even early doors to be disaffected. Was Zach Clough and our inability to match his terms the final straw? Our transfer policy has been a joke but can this really just be down to SC. 

2. SC's use of the squad and loan players was also baffling and was never really questioned in the media. Fans have questioned it and drawn their own conclusions. The use of the formation was now an issue because of results - personally it makes no difference and we shall soon see in this respect as I suspect this will now be changed. 

3. It seems a knee jerk sacking - if he was gonna be sacked for results, he would have gone before XMAS. This would have enabled the club to have appointed a manager and then to have had a transfer window to try and rebuild in the short term. Let's face it, there was nothing in our results which suggested we were going to go on an unbeaten run. 

4. To have sacked SC mid-transfer window makes no sense to me. I know that fans have been polling for him to be sacked but I certainly have never felt hostility to SC at the grounds or vocal calls for him to be sacked at games. The BCFC support has on the whole been patient and superb both with him and the team. 

5. What is more bewildering in all of this is the role of the board and the director of football. Do we really believe that they left it all to SC - course they bloody didn't. The communication on every level has been a disgrace unless there trying to show us pictures of the stadium so they can flog more tickets.... 

6. For BCFC fans, what confidence do you have that we will appoint a premier league calibre manager? I have none. Nothing we have done lends itself to say we will make a high calibre appointment. I really hope I am wrong here. I don't believe we are learning from the lessons of the past within our own club. Sacking the manager has rarely proved to be a successful strategy and our roll call of managers is appalling. Only SC and GJ have brought success and they have been dispensed at the first sign of discontent. GJ was sacked with us mid-table FFS. 

Oh well..... just time to say thanks for the memories SC and I do wish you the best.  

6 hours ago, TRL said:

I can't remember now, but as there were at least 12k in the ground I am sure there are others that will remember.  this was over 4 years ago.

He said about Millen just after he appointed Coppell.  So he can bring out his legal team to try a defend it if he wants, but that was in writing and said on the radio.

He is a liar.

Yes but even if what he said about Millen is true (and I can't find it anywhere) what was he supposed to when he appointed Coppell who then walked out after a couple of games?

He could hardly go back to all the people who applied for the job but were turned down in favour of Coppell and say, 'oh sorry, I know we turned you all down but we'd like one of you as our manager now..'

It wasn't SL's fault that Coppell walked, he had no choice but to turn to Millen.

For you to construe that as a public lie is very harsh and misleading in my opinion...

20 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Shocked beyond belief that SC has been sacked. I would like to make the following observations: 

1. SC rescued the team when it was at its lowest point and heading towards relegation under SOD. It is worth pointing out that the last managerial appointments of this board have been nothing more than abject failure Coppell, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll. Our success has nothing to do with the leadership of the Board. 

2. With some astute signings he led the club through its most successful season in recent times. However, he did not spend wildly and achieved considerable success with a relative small squad and some smart loan signings. I can't think that he brought in one bad player. Even El Abd came when our defence was woeful and needed some resilience added. He did that. He also cleared the decks and got rid of players who were overpaid squad players.  

3. He played a brand of refreshing football that was great to watch. 

4. I will never forget the night in Bradford when we totally murdered a strong and powerful side with free flowing attacking football. Arguably the best performance I can recall in the last 5/6 years. For the success he achieved, SC will rightly have a place in BCFC history and the respect of its support. 

5. it did not appear to me that the players were not playing for him. Our performances have generally been good without getting the points. 

Clearly football is a results business and objectively what has been achieved this season is not good enough. Other managers have been sacked for far less. However, the lack of communication about policy, including transfers was bewildering. I personally fail to see that this was squarely at the door of SC. I know for fact that past managers have had players imposed on them by the board and McInnes, for example, was allegedly given the team sheet by JL on occasions..... SC would not stand for this which is why he refused to accept the title of Head Coach. However, he was still required to work within the structure. It was inevitable that there would be a clash at some point. 

This leads me on to the following points:

1. In my view all was not well within the club over the summer and clearly the inconsistency in what was being said by SC and SL was inevitably going to lead to a collision. SC was moody and appeared even early doors to be disaffected. Was Zach Clough and our inability to match his terms the final straw? Our transfer policy has been a joke but can this really just be down to SC. 

2. SC's use of the squad and loan players was also baffling and was never really questioned in the media. Fans have questioned it and drawn their own conclusions. The use of the formation was now an issue because of results - personally it makes no difference and we shall soon see in this respect as I suspect this will now be changed. 

3. It seems a knee jerk sacking - if he was gonna be sacked for results, he would have gone before XMAS. This would have enabled the club to have appointed a manager and then to have had a transfer window to try and rebuild in the short term. Let's face it, there was nothing in our results which suggested we were going to go on an unbeaten run. 

4. To have sacked SC mid-transfer window makes no sense to me. I know that fans have been polling for him to be sacked but I certainly have never felt hostility to SC at the grounds or vocal calls for him to be sacked at games. The BCFC support has on the whole been patient and superb both with him and the team. 

5. What is more bewildering in all of this is the role of the board and the director of football. Do we really believe that they left it all to SC - course they bloody didn't. The communication on every level has been a disgrace unless there trying to show us pictures of the stadium so they can flog more tickets.... 

6. For BCFC fans, what confidence do you have that we will appoint a premier league calibre manager? I have none. Nothing we have done lends itself to say we will make a high calibre appointment. I really hope I am wrong here. I don't believe we are learning from the lessons of the past within our own club. Sacking the manager has rarely proved to be a successful strategy and our roll call of managers is appalling. Only SC and GJ have brought success and they have been dispensed at the first sign of discontent. GJ was sacked with us mid-table FFS. 

Oh well..... just time to say thanks for the memories SC and I do wish you the best.  

Good post Mark. I would like to hear a statement of intent from the board.

The next noises we hear from them have to be positive, forthright and impact full. 

As soon as they mention Premier League is our goal, they are setting an expectation of the calibre of manager they wish to sign.

Anything less than a high profile and experienced man will result in serious condemnation of their decision to dismiss SC

Stevo

Archived