IGNORED

Cotterell Sacked [confirmed]

Buckeyed

I feel gutted that the club finds is in this position after the positives of last season when there was such a sense of momentum.

I enjoyed Cotterill's spell as manager - he had passion, got the team playing some good football and led us to winning a double, which was unforgettable. I will always hold him in high esteem for that. For most of this season I have felt that we should stick with him. However, since Tuesday night there has been a sense of inevitability about his departure. We again failed to pick up any points against an average team and Cotterill's comments after the match sounded like he had run out of steam. 

Goodness knows the ins and outs of our terrible strategy for recruiting players since last season but this is surely one of the first things that needs to be addressed moving forwards. Our squad certainly needs developing and surely there are decent players out there who can add depth to what we've already got and give us  more options.

Cotts - thanks for managing City to a title. It had been a long wait. There are lots of great memories from last season.

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Only at Bristol City could we have numerous posts and threads calling for the managers head for the last two months, then when he is sacked have as many people slate the board about timing etc. Either you want him gone or you dont, make your mind up!

That's clearly not right. Opinions here are par for the course with every club with a generally well-liked manager where things go wrong.

Only at Bristol City will you have people with differing opinions? 

Right decision. We owe thanks to Cotts for two years' service and a fantastic season in 2014-15. But we were losing the plot. I don't blame the board for last summer's transfer failings. They were willing to stump up the cash. I don't think we can say SL over the years has been shy about (sensible) transfer market activity. I suspect people didn't want to come here because Cotts is not the most liked manager. Now that is a challenge today for all clubs. Old style management does not cut it with today's pampered footballers. It started in the Prem but has cascaded down to other divisions. Some of us might regret that but let's face it the old "up and at 'em" "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen" style of management that worked under Cloughie, Sir Alex, Shanks or even more recently Colin or even Mourinho is out, just as it is in all walks of life. Can you get 20 year olds to willingly put in extra hours or postpone their expectations where you work ? Hmm, didn't think so. And footballers are generally not the brightest bunch. It's the Jurgen Klopp style that's in today...tactical nous but the arm round the shoulder style - not the threats of cleaning of boots and cold showers. An aging disciplinarian like Colin ain't gonna work. What - or who - will work in this situation? I don't know but the Board probably have someone in mind. Let's hope they choose wisely.

37 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

I remember at SL's  Q & A with fans before Crewe game last season, everyone was praising cotts to the hilt, but you could tell he found it hard to work with him and he said as much. At the time I was quite surprised as everything at that point was going so well on the pitch! 

Yes, I HAD forgotten that !

Gutted.

A very recent decision by the board means no replacement lined up. 

We must hope Pemberton and Wadey can work wonders, but I can't see them getting anymore out of this group of players. 

Bad decision to get rid, and the timing of it ****ing stinks! 

The blame for lack of signings this season stops with the board not just SC. We've always had problems at this level with player recruitment. The only time we didn't was with GJ..why? Because Lansdown let him spend at will.

Thank you for the great memories, and the hard work you've put into this club Cotts. You've been a victim of your own success when you raised the bar of expectation so high last season. 

I haven't looked at the MK Dons forum, but I'd bet my house Karl Robinson has never been treated as poorly by his board, or any section of their fans, and that's after their 0-5 drubbing on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

In 2013 we had a team not playing for the manager, playing horrible football and having just been on a run of eight defeats in a row. We're nowhere near as bad as we were then Harry.

So we've hopefully given ourselves a good chance now then. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

So we've hopefully given ourselves a good chance now then. 

We had a team playing for their manager, and a fanbase I'd say at least 50 per cent behind him. Not normally the recipe for a change. Maybe a new voice will give them the confidence they need, but I wouldn't count on it and it won't address the far deeper underlying issues.

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

You've highlighted a previous failing yourself - the timing of the McInness sacking was ridiculous and we went down. The timing of this sacking is ridiculous as well. 

Should have happened earlier or not at all in my opinion. Anybody coming in now has little or no time to assess and do something in the transfer window.

Not according to the many sages on here. Apparently, O'Driscoll had plenty of time to keep us up but he apparently had settled for relegation as soon as came in. 

Smacks of hypocrisy. 

We have a better team than last time. And a team with more balls, fight and willing than the last lot. But SC was not getting the best out of them. The new man will have plenty of time to turn it around. 

1 hour ago, robin4ever said:

Kid in the riot at wallsall mate .... He there with Harry and keepuplino.... They telling each other how amazing and brilliant they are !!!!! They going to have the first threesome marriage at Aston gate Saturday . 

Well done for stooping to such depths to back up your own opinion. 

I have my opinion. The others you mention do also. I do not play a homophobic card on you along with others who share your opinion. 

Whenever I make a point on here, I try to back it up with my thoughts and rationale. I have many disagreements with posters whose opinion differs, but I debate with them in a respectful manner. But I'm gonna make an exception here :

Your response, I'm sorry to say, is something I'd expect from a 7 year old. Poo to you sir. 

16 minutes ago, MartockRed said:

Gutted.

A very recent decision by the board means no replacement lined up. 

We must hope Pemberton and Wadey can work wonders, but I can't see them getting anymore out of this group of players. 

Bad decision to get rid, and the timing of it ****ing stinks! 

The blame for lack of signings this season stops with the board not just SC. We've always had problems at this level with player recruitment. The only time we didn't was with GJ..why? Because Lansdown let him spend at will.

Thank you for the great memories, and the hard work you've put into this club Cotts. You've been a victim of your own success when you raised the bar of expectation so high last season. 

I haven't looked at the MK Dons forum, but I'd bet my house Karl Robinson has never been treated as poorly by his board, or any section of their fans, and that's after their 0-5 drubbing on Tuesday.

MK Don's fans? They're not used to the long-term abject misery. 

"30 months of hurt, never stopped me dreaming...."  

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The next person to say Colin w*nker should come here is getting thrown in the Cumberland Basin - BY ME!!! :gaah:

Neil Warnock is a proven, experienced, successful manager with SEVEN promotions on his CV, 

I'd love to have him as City boss until the end of the season,

You wouldn't mind when the results started changing and we kept clean sheets and won games....

40 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

That's clearly not right. Opinions here are par for the course with every club with a generally well-liked manager where things go wrong.

Only at Bristol City will you have people with differing opinions? 

sorry my point being its the same people who wanted him out that now say its the wrong time

Bitter sweet development for me.

Loved last season, but I've been waiting for us 'to explode' since September.

I think we were doomed anyway, so can understand the decision to twist.

Edit: just noticed Lord northski got there first with that last line... how odd.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil Warnock is a proven, experienced, successful manager with SEVEN promotions on his CV, 

I'd love to have him as City boss until the end of the season,

You wouldn't mind when the results started changing and we kept clean sheets and won games....

I would.

1 hour ago, robin4ever said:

Kid in the riot at wallsall mate .... He there with Harry and keepuplino.... They telling each other how amazing and brilliant they are !!!!! They going to have the first threesome marriage at Aston gate Saturday . 

"Aston gate" -- really????!!!

Surely someone who is a Robin 4ever would know our home stadium is Ashton Gate? 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Got proof of SL being a liar have you?

Hope his huge legal team aren't reading this for your sake....

you have to mention his lies to have any sort of reason to bring a legal team in.

I will of course mention one.

He said on the pitch for all to hear that he would quit if AV didn't happen

oh and for a second, he said he would not appoint Millen as manager as he did not have enough experience..... two games latter under cCoppell. I could go on, I  sincerely hope the liar is reading.

I wouldn't say I was 'happy' as that would a strange emotion to feel about someone who gave us last season being sacked, but I do feel it is the right decision and if I'm honest I felt he should go a week or two ago to give the next guy some sort of chance of bringing in the players we so desperately need.

That doesn't mean I think our current predicament is all his fault, that nobody else is blameless or that he is a bad manager that won't go elsewhere and have some success, but I think he'd ran his race here. Similarly to the only other successful manager we have had in recent times in Johnson I just felt the time had come and we were only going one way. There is no disgrace in that, if Jose Mourinho has a time frame then what chance is there for anyone else.

I won't pretend to know how or why we have been such a disaster in the transfer market, but my feeling is Cotterill was far, far too ambitious with the players we were looking to sign and he overrated a few of last seasons heroes. I was relatively happy and positive about the football we were playing earlier in the season and thought we were showing signs of learning from our mistakes and growing into the league, but since the victory at home to Wolves (and the Fulham embarrassment was directly before it) we have been largely dire and to be honest looking pretty hopeless.

I could be wrong obviously, but by judging his body language and some of the things he has said I've felt the last few weeks that even Cotterill himself has appeared a beaten man and in his heart of hearts I wonder whether he knew this was coming. His stubbornness in sticking with how we played last season and persisting with players like Wilbraham and Freeman regardless of form or fitness struck me as someone who didn't know how we could turn this around but desperately tried to cling on to the hope that showing faith with what had worked so amazingly for him and us last season would work again. Whether you think he comes over well or badly the fact is he is always up for the fight and totally confident, in my opinion that has gone missing in the last few weeks.

He should and will be remembered for the amazing 18 months that took us from fighting relegation to League 2, and possibly the worst performance I have ever seen from us that day at Brammall Lane, to runaway Champions with a Wembley win to boot.

Having said all that, don't think I have any confidence that we have any sort of plan on how to move this forward or that the timing is anything other than weird. Thursday night after he has spent today taking training and giving his press conference for Saturday strikes me as rather classless.

7 minutes ago, TRL said:

you have to mention his lies to have any sort of reason to bring a legal team in.

I will of course mention one.

He said on the pitch for all to hear that he would quit if AV didn't happen

oh and for a second, he said he would not appoint Millen as manager as he did not have enough experience..... two games latter under cCoppell. I could go on, I  sincerely hope the liar is reading.

At which game did he say that about AV on the pitch, I don't remember that.

And when and where did he say that about Keith Millen?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

At which game did he say that about AV on the pitch, I don't remember that.

And when and where did he say that about Keith Millen?

I can't remember now, but as there were at least 12k in the ground I am sure there are others that will remember.  this was over 4 years ago.

He said about Millen just after he appointed Coppell.  So he can bring out his legal team to try a defend it if he wants, but that was in writing and said on the radio.

He is a liar.

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

I can't remember now, but as there were at least 12k in the ground I am sure there are others that will remember.  this was over 4 years ago.

He said about Millen just after he appointed Coppell.  So he can bring out his legal team to try a defend it if he wants, but that was in writing and said on the radio.

He is a liar.

Maybe he changed his mind? 

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

He is a liar.

I don't remember either of those statements, I am sure you would love to have him try to sue you, so you can play the "poor little me card" to the press like the Blackpool fan did with Oyston. I have seen your posts about SL before, your main beef seems to be that he has money and spends it as he sees fit, not the way you want him to. If the roles were reversed i am sure you would be equally upset at someone calling you a liar in print and yet unable to "recall" when the lie was said.

I recall something like 'mark my words that stadium will be built'. He was on the pitch and got a rousing applause. 

I too recall when Millen was caretaker him saying he was not considered at that time for the job because of his inexperience. 

Archived