IGNORED

Cotterell Sacked [confirmed]

Buckeyed

I can't help think the board has just been waiting for a big thrashing to sack SC but they didn't get it . I think we should of sacked him before Christmas but think once we came into January we had to stick with what we had unless they have a Good replacement ready ( which based on previous experience I highly doubt).

I think something must of happened this evening as otherwise why would they let him do interviews of Boro and Clough deal.

5 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

I genuinely feel completely gutted for Cotts tonight. I'm not sure I would have sacked him but I can understand the decision and Cotts certainly hasn't helped himself with some bizarre decisions lately. What I feel gutted about is the way small sections of so called City fans treated him towards the end. Criticism is fine but the nasty, vicious, personal abuse that some numbskulls gave him is just bewildering. These ********* try to pass it off as "passion", what a load of utter crap. It's nothing but a complete lack of self control by brain dead Neanderthals. 

This guy gave most City fans the best season of their lives last season. He might not have deserved to keep his job but he definitely deserved to be treated with respect by every single City fans.

Thanks for the memories Steve #CTID

Speaking of respect, could the mods possibly change the title of the thread so his name's spelt correctly? Could do him the service of that at least. 

55 minutes ago, RedM said:

I actually feel sick. I am gutted, not particularly over Cotterill who is probably better off out of it as he was going to kill himself with the strain and I wouldn't want to be part of that. But more gutted that once again we have failed in keeping a manager and building a future. What a shambles of a club to treat a bloke like that, make him do a press conference and hours later sack him. I guess comments and frustrations he showed in that meeting was the final straw. 

Still gutted though. Only Moysie will save my feelings I think.

Or, perhaps, Gary Megson? ;)

4 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I think something must of happened this evening as otherwise why would they let him do interviews of Boro and Clough deal.

I reckon the Clough comment when he said it was down to wages was the last straw. Can't keep on saying the opposite of SL and expect them to ignore it.

For the first time this season I feel we have a fighting chance of survival - difficult but now just possible

I don't suppose we shall ever know who was/is at fault over transfers but we sadly know who was responsible for loanees who sat on the bench

I can't wait to see if Pemberton changes the team, the tactics and the use of subs and motivates the team

Don't write Pemberton off he could prove to be a revelation - after all he has been the silent man so far this season

Thanks for last season Cotts, and sorry you found no way to hack it this; Good luck in finding another job

COYR

CTID

5 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

The club will move on and most fans will believe SL AND HIS LIES. They always do

Yeah, bloody stadium redevelopment. Whatever happened to that? 

Let's get Higgs, Tann or Ashley in. How about some Russian Olegarch or Saudi Prince? 

Jesz. 

There's a lot of passionate words on here tonight, and though I respect and admire what SC did last season, based on this season, it is right that he has been sacked.

I support BCFC before anything else, and could see that Steve had to go.  His reluctance to amend his tactics, give youth a bit of a chance, or even fill the bench adequately, have all contributed to his demise.

The fact is, he should've played a weaker team against WBA, as the priority this week was to beat Preston, not to progress in the Cup.  To then say that the players were too tired was the final nail in his coffin.

13 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

The club will move on and most fans will believe SL AND HIS LIES. They always do

Indeed lost and bullshit merchant. Hey ho. Because he is rich and he is developing the ground that is okay.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

There's a lot of passionate words on here tonight, and though I respect and admire what SC did last season, based on this season, it is right that he has been sacked.

I support BCFC before anything else, and could see that Steve had to go.  His reluctance to amend his tactics, give youth a bit of a chance, or even fill the bench adequately, have all contributed to his demise.

The fact is, he should've played a weaker team against WBA, as the priority this week was to beat Preston, not to progress in the Cup.  To then say that the players were too tired was the final nail in his coffin.

Nail on head.

I am gutted it's come to this and thank SC for what was THE best season I have witnessed in my time supporting City. Realistically though based on this season he simply had to go. His stubbornness has contributed to his downfall and even though he probably hasn't had the backing he would have liked he was out of his depth.

It is however a very strange time to pull the trigger but I can only hope the board have plans in place. Then again this is BCFC....

Cotterill delivered fantastic success last season, but his inability to change means he's been flogging a dead horse this season. married to the clumsy and frankly inept administration at board level means this is a perfect storm.

Lansdown has made a mess of many many decisions over the years, but we tolerate him because he appears to be a benevolent billionaire dictator, but his track record at decision making as chairman - and he is still de facto chairman despite having the invisible man in the seat - is truly pants. even going back to his tenure as finance director at the club, the signings policy was flawed in the extreme and has carried on being so.

The Grey & Gayle saga made us look like chumps, a club who was saying how prudent we were, then suddenly panicking and overspending (and failing at that!)

Cotterill was the perfect man for Lansdown because he didn't step out of line and was vocal in his support, but that has become increasingly strained as the transfer fiasco of this season has unraveled and we find SC speaking his mind a lot more, albeit in veiled and slightly reluctant language. The flare up with those mugs in the Atyeo didn't help, but its clear SC has said he can't work without the resources he needs and something is going on behind the scenes to stop that happening.

McInnes was another who suffered the same fate and i suspect Coppell walked for the same reasons. I suspect that managers quickly find that SL doesn't deliver on his promises and likes to interfere.

as for SC - his inability to see beyond certain players has let him down this season - Burns, Wagstaff and others, let alone the host of loanees he failed to play might have kept the squad fresher, so that statement was nothing more than a swipe at the board.

I'm delighted to sit in what will be a magnificent stadium, sadly we simply cannot seem to get it right on the pitch.

lastly, the quote from Dawes refers to 'the organisation' - quite simply, what the f uck is that? is the Bristol Sport brand now 'the organisation' too?

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I reckon the Clough comment when he said it was down to wages was the last straw. Can't keep on saying the opposite of SL and expect them to ignore it.

hmm yes this could of been the final straw, you can imagine SC saying it to save the club blushes of keeping on getting rejected and SL not being happy looking as if city doesn't have enough cash. 

But you look at Blackpool and how Stead rejected them et al due to wages.....

If we had a good academy then we could sell the decent players and play the good ones but.....we don't.

I would love to know who decided we must play 9 mil for Gray rather then get bradshaw for 2/3 million in the summer. I feel like it may have bee the board as it always seems we have to sign a star striker then get the rest of the players. See Trundle, Maynard.

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Complete and utter joke of a comment.

I stand by it. The board should take most of the blame for our failures. Instead they've kept quiet and pulled a fast one, showing SC to the door.

Cowards.

Very disappointed to hear the news, SC has been a great manager for us and I think would have kept us up. It is obvious  to all  we need some  new faces in, but SC's comments  started to be concerning and can't  help feel some political  games being played. We are all outside and not privy to the clubs workings, but it seemed  everyone  was not singing off the same hymn sheet.

Thanks  for great times and good look for the future,

Just not Colin

8 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Can see little doubt that something went off late afternoon or early evening which gave the Board no choice. I have had a strong feeling for a couple of months Steve Cotterell wanted out.

I remember at SL's  Q & A with fans before Crewe game last season, everyone was praising cotts to the hilt, but you could tell he found it hard to work with him and he said as much. At the time I was quite surprised as everything at that point was going so well on the pitch! 

30 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Kid in the riot at wallsall mate .... He there with Harry and keepuplino.... They telling each other how amazing and brilliant they are !!!!! They going to have the first threesome marriage at Aston gate Saturday . 

Are you Jar Jar Binks?

He sounded like a man defeated in the last couple of interviews. "I can't get anymore out of them" 

I thank him so much for the last two years but he looks so ill and knackered this season, I was worrying for his health.

The time had come, unfortunately, he had done as much as he could - but he didn't make it easy for himself. 

Someone buy him a coffee in Costa…and a cake. 

I suspect SC was becoming increasingly frustrated by his failure to bring in the players he wanted because of the club's financial reins. This was exacerbated by the spin from the owner about funds not being a problem. I would guess that today Cotts lost it a bit, and said something along the lines of back me or sack me.

The club took the opportunity and away we go again.

As many have said previously, there is but one constant running through our failure to progress as a club.

A true dichotomy, club with an owner wealthy enough to ensure success but apparently, by his own actions, lacking the ability to realise it.

All IMO of course

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I understand your argument, but the romantic in me says that SC was correct to play the team he did.

Notwithstanding the fact that, with a weakened team, there would have been a very real threat of a demoralising thrashing, with just a little bit of luck (professionalism?) there might just have been a season-changing victory; another home win against Posh and then, who knows?

3 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Having a new spanking stand does not get you three points .... But you pay for your new stand by having a shit budget and skimping on players . .... But that's ok because SL will make a 9 million offer for a striker and offer him 8 k a week !!!!!! Shock he does not sign but SL gives it the large one. You believe his crap and enjoy your new seat in keague one . I won't be using me seaon ticket again and your welcome to have it

Well maybe we should have been more realistic and not targeted a £9 million pound striker in the first place, who was topping the charts in goal scoring I this league, jesus, we got promoted from League 1 not relegated from the Premiership!!!!

SC brought all of this on himself, with his inability to change! He would not in anyway deviate from the beloved 3-5-2 for nation. People will tell you he did at Derby and look what happened, well just look who played that night, we had 4 centre halves on the pitch at once!

As I said before, worked wonders last year, but in a better league against better opposition/managers, you have to be able to change tact, when things are not going well! There was never a Plan B, and his in game management this season was atrocious!

I will never forget last season, and the joy that man brought to our club, so I truly thank him for that!

I will not however miss his post match interviews from this season, the constant whining and excuse after excuse that was given why we didn't win the game, it was starting to get embarrassing!

As it has been said by numerous fans that you need to show support, well I do, and that is to the club, not to one man! No matter what happens this season, I will still no doubt be renewing my season ticket, cause we just do!

14 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Having a new spanking stand does not get you three points .... But you pay for your new stand by having a shit budget and skimping on players . .... But that's ok because SL will make a 9 million offer for a striker and offer him 8 k a week !!!!!! Shock he does not sign but SL gives it the large one. You believe his crap and enjoy your new seat in keague one . I won't be using me seaon ticket again and your welcome to have it

So you would rather have us done on FFP, SL walk away, have to sell the ground off to a developer and have no Club? 

Clearly, the full implications of FFP have not yet been understood by your average supporter.

It's been set up to prevent Clubs like our own from breaking into the Premiership cartel. The only way we're going to break in is by being SMART = raising your income stream and buying players that are below the radar of Premiership funded (including parachute paid) Clubs. We ain't going to compete with them financially, even if SL wanted to. 

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Sacked mid way through the window - MID WAY THROUGH THE FRICKIN WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's the logic?

No chance now that a new manager will be in place in time to assess the squad, identify replacements and negotiate deals.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was planned to the day. Phaff about with getting in a replacement and probably lying to them to get them through the door. Then re-tract on what they promised, then Phaff about again with signings, oh know the transfer window has shut, looks like you'll have to get some loans in then.

We have got to be the weirdest run football club in the league. It's like one of those secret cult things where you have to knock 3 times on the side door and sing humpty dumpty backwards to get past the bouncer.

One day we might get it right, but I reckon I'll be pushing up the daisy's when that finally happens.

Thanks for last season Mr Cotterill, I feel you've been hung out to dry but will we ever hear the truth?

28 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

100% Spot on.

Archived