IGNORED

Announcement Today (on Saturday)

Kid in the Riot

1 minute ago, cynic said:

Listening to his interview (where he speaks well) we can forget about the likes of Pearson - this bloke will be doing his own player recruitment, scouting set up, academy, etc.

Head coach coming in, not a manager in my opinion.

I think that's the trick; if we are serious about bringing in Pearson, it'll be an 'all-or-nothing' deal, which if the statement the board made on SC leaving is to be believed, I don't imagine them being able to offer him.

If we're going down the 'head coach' route, my (genuine) question would probably be; how many sides have won promotion to the Premier League with that approach?  If that is our stated aim, then I'd hope the club have done their research.

It can only be a step in the right direction a ' football ' man brought in to run the club ( though we were doing so well ! ) 

Michael Appleton ? 

He obviously has something because for a while he was hot property but never had or wanted the time to achieve anything .

Seems like he's building something good at Oxford , is he about to leave another unfinished project ? 

Any how time will tell . OTIB will be full of prima donnas manfully trying to " rip up " their season cards and the others saying give him time and the whole cycle starts again .

Oh what a glorious thing to be ,

a jumped up thumped up fan of  BCFC .

Reading between the lines of this and the last statement, Lansdown wasn't a fan of the idea of reverting back to the "manager is king" form of recruitment, Steve Cotterill certainly was and that isn't very reconcilable.  Perhaps that was the root of why the owner and manager kept contradicting each other over transfers when interviewed.  If Mark Ashton is the reporting line for the new manager at least they'll be hired knowing the setup and how things will work.

Just a matter of moving very quickly now.

1 minute ago, Chessels Chick said:

So maybe this is why Cotts got the sack?? As he didn't like/want this chap coming in above him ...

I was about to suggest the same thing. Perhaps a bit of a bust up? Mark Ashton worked for the club before as a consultant, so I assume Cotts would have had an opinion on him - good or bad.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Well people have clamored long enough about getting a football man running this side of thing.  Well we now have one. Ex player.

Let's hope he gives this club the professional kick start it needs 

I'm ignorant on this one TRL

Any chance of very short resume of his background football wise ?

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I was about to suggest the same thing. Perhaps a bit of a bust up? Mark Ashton worked for the club before as a consultant, so I assume Cotts would have had an opinion on him - good or bad.

And if you believe what it says on the website Ashton was behind our recruitment in 2014 but had gone before the start of this season ... maybe why not so successful in the transfer market??

Am pretty positive about this. Makes two key points immediate need for a new boss and our transfers won't be ruled by the 24 year old stance.

As long as Appleton doesn't follow this should a positive step. This guy and Pearson together would be a great thing IMO.

7 minutes ago, TRL said:

Well people have clamored long enough about getting a football man running this side of thing.  Well we now have one. Ex player.

Was on WBA's books as a goalie but never played a game.

Not sure that qualifies him as an ex player!

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

With you on this one Nick

I don't have player - Am I right in understanding he's going to be heading all football matters / recruitment ?

If so you can immediately rule out Pearson, Warnock etc etc and a complete breed of 'traditional managers' 

7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Why not? He has been around football with players and coaches. Just because he didn't play 1st team football doesn't make a jot of difference

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With you on this one Nick

I don't have player - Am I right in understanding he's going to be heading all football matters / recruitment ?

If so you can immediately rule out Pearson, Warnock etc etc and a complete breed of 'traditional managers' 

I would add, he is quoted as saying:

"The former West Brom goalkeeper added: “To have a game against my old team at the beginning of my tenure is the icing on the cake and I look forward to seeing many familiar faces on Tuesday evening!”

Considering he left WBA years ago without playing a game, don't want to be overly negative, but sounds like a spin doctor.

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

Why not? He has been around football with players and coaches. Just because he didn't play 1st team football doesn't make a jot of difference

Around players and coaches as a reserve for a couple of years about 20 years ago.

Underwhelmed.

12 minutes ago, TRL said:

Why not? He has been around football with players and coaches. Just because he didn't play 191st team football doesn't make a jot of difference

Get your point TRL but it depends on who makes the actual decisions on , particularly player recruitment

A current Premier League manager told me 'You're only as good as the players you sign'

A simple statement but how so true

He clearly has the corporate history and a history at lower level in dealing with transfers and agents which sounds promising but if we go down the route of a coach being provided with players, as I suspect , I'm not convinced

Perhaps I'm a dinasour and can become a convertee but I get the vibe 'Don't expect a great turnaround in a hurry....we are building a dynasty.....'

I hope I'm way off the mark

How is this a bad thing? I posted years ago we needed a 'football man' with experience, to help the board with the day to day running of the club.

Is this guy the right man? Time will tell. I'm happy with it though. It helps the board and the new manager when he comes in.

This club needs a shake up behind the scenes. Our current set up and mind set isn't good enough for this level, its why we always fail at this level.

I just hope the change hasn't come.to late 

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Around players and coaches as a reserve for a couple of years about 20 years ago.

Underwhelmed.

A bit like mourinho and Wenger as players.  Didnt do them any harm in their new chosen profession as they looked and learned even though we're not the best. If he has done this and can apply it to the day to day running of a football club in his current profession, should that fact he was a unsparing reserve goalie ever come into it?

Archived