IGNORED

Announcement Today (on Saturday)

Kid in the Riot

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Mark Ashton. Prepare for the boat to be rocked, and not in a good way. 

No doubt i should listen to what he has to say but reading it to me he sounds a little bit too 'billy big bollox'.... 'I will provide the direct line of communication between pitch and board room' .... Not only have we heard that before but i wonder what is wrong with the gaffer simply walking in to the chairman's office? Adding a level of bureacracy i suppose is designed to streamline that task but the word convoluted does spring to mind. I hope I am way wide of the mark and it will not diminish the chances of recruiting the man this club needs which is not Appleton, Cooper, Tisdale, Monk or Robins, for example.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

He is highly thought of as a coach. I have to say I think his decision making in the jobs he has taken has done him no favours.  Every job a basket case.

No idea what he is like as a coach other than other professionals in his field rate him.

I'm neither excited or underwhelmed I am just meh to the while city situation and have been so for the past 6 or 7 years

The likelihood is then he will be right at home at BCFC.

2 of the basket case appointments lasted a grand total of 27 games.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The likelihood is then he will be right at home at BCFC.

2 of the basket case appointments lasted a grand total of 27 games.

Yeah; something like 140 days in charge in charge of Blackpool and Blackburn combined, all told.

Does put some perspective on how trigger happy we might think our board is, and even Coppell was technically in charge (albeit over a summer) longer than Appleton was at each of those clubs!

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Yeah; something like 140 days in charge in charge of Blackpool and Blackburn combined, all told.

Does put some perspective on how trigger happy we might think our board is, and even Coppell was technically in charge (albeit over a summer) longer than Appleton was at each of those clubs!

I suspect SL must be about now dusting off his biannual state of the union " trust me " speech.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I suspect SL must be about now dusting off his biannual state of the union " trust me " speech.

To be fair; there was mass wrist slashing when SC was announced, and I was unsure, but he was phenomenal, so who knows?

Can't say Appleton would inspire me, but the real question is; would he inspire the players?

Apparently has an excellent reputation in the game, so there is that.

Still; Pearson seriously impressed me last night, so does feel like a missed opportunity if we don't at least see if we could bring him in.

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

To be fair; there was mass wrist slashing when SC was announced, and I was unsure, but he was phenomenal, so who knows?

Can't say Appleton would inspire me, but the real question is; would he inspire the players?

Apparently has an excellent reputation in the game, so there is that.

Still; Pearson seriously impressed me last night, so does feel like a missed opportunity if we don't at least see if we could bring him in.

Whatever people say all of the past 5 appointments have IMO been marmite appointments, even Coppell had his doubters and with good reason, surely even the laws of averages meant that with a fair wind that one of them would work out.

As I said yesterday, we have tried marmite, good coaches, nice blokes, blokes who already are employees of the club, mates of a board member and blokes with loads of baggage and now the fans deserve a manager with a current pedigree.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Whatever people say all of the past 5 appointments have IMO been marmite appointments, even Coppell had his doubters and with good reason, surely even the laws of averages meant that with a fair wind that one of them would work out.

As I said yesterday, we have tried marmite, good coaches, nice blokes, blokes who already are employees of the club, mates of a board member and blokes with loads of baggage and now the fans deserve a manager with a current pedigree.

I agree pretty much completely with you on all points.

Here is hoping what was certainly a polarising move in sacking SC at this point is followed by a bold appointment, and one that will show the intent the board suggest.

4 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I am supportive of the board and most of they're decision making however after the statement to relieve SC and comments around aspirations to get to the premier league coupled with the dire situation we currently find ourselves in, to go down the leagues to appoint someone like Appleton  would be suicidal, showing no ambition or back up of their statement to push on.

ill reserve judgement until we know the facts

I agree with your statement regards Appleton. But that would be the quality of decision our fine board would make.

9 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Pretty sure he was a director at West Brom for about 15 years as well. 'Til about 2004 or so. Assume he's referring to this as much as his playing days.

No. He was not a director at WBA.

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Time will tell. The club has been crying out for someone with footballing knowledge  not just business knowledge.  I hope he proves to be a good addition.  

Fingers crossed and as he has already worked here as a consultant you would hope he can get up and running quickly as he put the seeds of change into motion 2 years ago

His career is almost entirely in business not football. As in, football administration is business, not football, in terms of worthwhile experience. Therefore there will be little to add to the table in terms of football knowledge and contacts. Not worthwhile contacts for where Bristol City allegedly want to go.

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Yep I think the manager as we knew and loved is a dying breed. More head coach that will work with what he is given I fear.  One of the reasons SC became so petulant... begs the question why he ever took the job as I am sure this is what we were working towards before he ever signed.

SC took the job because it was agreed that he was in charge of everything on the football side. Unfortunately "the club" may have changed his terms of employment.

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

What sort of CEO should the club have employed ? I cannot see any need for him to have been a top player as he is wanted to run the business side is he not ? 

Yes it appears he is wanted for the business side. In football, people like that are ten a penny, but they get paid tidy sums of money for doing a common sense job at a what is a very small company.

The fundamental problem with "the club" is they do not have anybody on board who is a football insider. Therefore no expertise, no worthwhile contacts, if it wants to be Premiership.

For me, this appointment just smacks of several years of the usual ahead of us.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

No. He was not a director at WBA.

Oh. Ok.

Clearly I was mistaken.

As, seemingly, is he: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/markanthonyashton

The Birmingham Mail: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-v-oxford-united-7670105 - "Watching from the stands will be one-time Albion director and goalkeeper Mark Ashton"

The Oxfordshire Guardian: http://www.oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/ashton-departs-as-eales-takes-over/ - "Ashton was previously ... the director of West Bromwich Albion before that for fourteen years"

The BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28163679 - "Former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper and director Mark Ashton"

And West Brom themselves: http://www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=200310131422238290Q - "At the end of the year Mark Ashton was appointed as Director of Youth Development in addition to his position as Managing Director of our highly successful Community programme"

We all apologise, Nick.

Interesting, .... Mr Ashton appointmfascinating s to have been widely accepted and welcomed by the majority of supporters here.

Its interesting because I wonder if the power of suggestion is in play here and if all those tannoy announcements in recent months ..'Mr Ashton to the Dolman!'.. etc, were infact containing some sort of subliminal mind controlling messages for the crowds.

Just a thought! ....... :) 

Altogether now....

'one Mr Ashton, theres only one Mr Ashton, one Mr Ashton theres only one Master Ashton!' .... featuring Derren Brown on tannoy! :)

Dunno if true but the first thing The Master ordered was replacement of his office door with a gurt big electrically operated (using a remote controlled Master Key fob) Gate !  ... more mind games eh? ... Mr Ashton Gate !!!

BTW .. has anyone else had the pleasure of meeting David Icke? ... facinating fellow, had a nice chat with him on the train last night. :)

(not really!)

Can I just point out that he is COO (Chief Operating Officer) not CEO (Chief Executive Officer).  There is a difference.  Normally the COO would be in charge of day to day operations, but would report to a CEO who would have the final say.  Of course that begs the question who does Ashton report to, but he is not CEO.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can I just point out that he is COO (Chief Operating Officer) not CEO (Chief Executive Officer).  There is a difference.  Normally the COO would be in charge of day to day operations, but would report to a CEO who would have the final say.  Of course that begs the question who does Ashton report to, but he is not CEO.

If he's reporting to the CEO then that would be Doug Harman 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who reports to Keith Dawe who reports to Steve Lansdown... boy its convoluted.

21 hours ago, cynic said:

Listening to his interview (where he speaks well) we can forget about the likes of Pearson - this bloke will be doing his own player recruitment, scouting set up, academy, etc.

Head coach coming in, not a manager in my opinion.

"...we can forget about the likes of Pearson..."

So you were considering Pearson as a possibility then? 

Just interested because you called me 'numb nuts' for suggesting Pearson back in November and made it clear that you thought anyone who thought we had the remotest chance of getting him was a 'numb nut' and your reason for that was that he'd been a premier league manager.

I pointed out he'd led Leicester from league one to the prem but your stance remained that I was a 'numb nut.'

I love the debates and differing opinions on here, but I'm not sure I've ever really got over being called a 'numb nut' - probably cos I don't know what it actually means!!

8 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Oh. Ok.

Clearly I was mistaken.

As, seemingly, is he: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/markanthonyashton

The Birmingham Mail: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-v-oxford-united-7670105 - "Watching from the stands will be one-time Albion director and goalkeeper Mark Ashton"

The Oxfordshire Guardian: http://www.oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/ashton-departs-as-eales-takes-over/ - "Ashton was previously ... the director of West Bromwich Albion before that for fourteen years"

The BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28163679 - "Former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper and director Mark Ashton"

And West Brom themselves: http://www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=200310131422238290Q - "At the end of the year Mark Ashton was appointed as Director of Youth Development in addition to his position as Managing Director of our highly successful Community programme"

We all apologise, Nick.

The LinkedIn page says Director, West Bromwich Albion Football Club, 1990-2004. I would imagine most of the articles you have linked have assumed that to be correct.

There has never been a Mark Ashton, registered Director, at West Bromwich Albion Football Club, which can be checked here:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/officers

Thanks for the apology.

There was a Mark Ashton who was a registered director of the Albion Foundation, which is a registered charity, from 2000 to 2004, occupation Football Community Officer.

And it would seem from your last link he was "director" as in a title, not an officially registered Director, of youth development.

To say director of West Bromwich Albion Football Club is misleading, IMO.

Not saying he won't be a good administrator, just that I would like to see somebody on the board of Bristol City Football Club with professional playing or football managerial experience.

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The LinkedIn page says Director, West Bromwich Albion Football Club, 1990-2004. I would imagine most of the articles you have linked have assumed that to be correct.

There has never been a Mark Ashton, registered Director, at West Bromwich Albion Football Club, which can be checked here:

Thanks for the apology.

There was a Mark Ashton who was a registered director of the Albion Foundation, which is a registered charity, from 2000 to 2004, occupation Football Community Officer.

And it would seem from your last link he was "director" as in a title, not an officially registered Director, of youth development.

Not saying he won't be a good administrator, just that I would like to see somebody on the board of Bristol City Football Club with professional playing or football managerial experience.

Can you give us examples of someone you'd consider credible? Would Gazza be a fit? Would Gary Neville fit? Would Luke Chadwick fit?

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Can you give us examples of someone you'd consider credible? Would Gazza be a fit? Would Gary Neville fit? Would Luke Chadwick fit?

How would I know until I've checked through the CV, taken references, and interviewed them.

As a starting point the requirements of applicants would be "direct playing and/or managerial experience at a senior level (Championship or above or foreign equivalent)".

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

How would I know until I've checked through the CV, taken references, and interviewed them.

As a starting point the requirements of applicants would be "direct playing and/or managerial experience at a senior level (Championship or above or foreign equivalent)".

Well that's a bit more clarity... we're getting there one small step at a time. 

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

"...we can forget about the likes of Pearson..."

So you were considering Pearson as a possibility then? 

Just interested because you called me 'numb nuts' for suggesting Pearson back in November and made it clear that you thought anyone who thought we had the remotest chance of getting him was a 'numb nut' and your reason for that was that he'd been a premier league manager.

I pointed out he'd led Leicester from league one to the prem but your stance remained that I was a 'numb nut.'

I love the debates and differing opinions on here, but I'm not sure I've ever really got over being called a 'numb nut' - probably cos I don't know what it actually means!!

im not sure either but do you swim in the channel on xmas day?:thumbsup:

1) Technically, is it still 'today'?

2) How long will this thread go on for? 20 pages? 50 pages?

3) Eventually, of course, it will be correct - unless there is no announcement until the end of the world.

4) Do we even exist?

Uncle Moyes-meister.

26 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Thanks for the apology.

He's not a director of Bristol CIty, either though.  It sounds like his role at West Brom was far more relevant to what he's being asked to do here than a club director would have been.  Obviously that depends how the board works but certainly, whilst operational experience is great experienced for being on a board, being a registered director and on a board isn't necessarily appropriate experience for an operational role.

I've got to be honest and say, whilst it's useful to have the voice of someone with professional football experience at a club, there's absolutely no practical advantage I can see to that person needing to be a registered director rather than an advisor and I certainly wouldn't want someone with professional playing experience alone being appointed into a CEO role unless there was damn good evidence they could run a business too. 

Archived