IGNORED

Announcement Today (on Saturday)

Kid in the Riot

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

How would I know until I've checked through the CV, taken references, and interviewed them.

As a starting point the requirements of applicants would be "direct playing and/or managerial experience at a senior level (Championship or above or foreign equivalent)".

With the greatest of respect, Nick, it really looks like you're trying to generate some reason to dislike this Ashton bloke before he's even been in the door a full weekend.

By setting some arbitrary standard  for someone in his position as you have above, you would immediately rule out a huge number of potentially excellent people who could fill the role, and with a requirement that doesn't either prohibit or qualify them for the job.

Let's just give him time to see what he does; lining up reasons to hate on him before he's likely even set up his office seems a little weird to me.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He's not a director of Bristol CIty, either though.  It sounds like his role at West Brom was far more relevant to what he's being asked to do here than a club director would have been.  Obviously that depends how the board works but certainly, whilst operational experience is great experienced for being on a board, being a registered director and on a board isn't necessarily appropriate experience for an operational role.

I've got to be honest and say, whilst it's useful to have the voice of someone with professional football experience at a club, there's absolutely no practical advantage I can see to that person needing to be a registered director rather than an advisor and I certainly wouldn't want someone with professional playing experience alone being appointed into a CEO role unless there was damn good evidence they could run a business too. 

Yes agree with that, my post was merely to correct a factual inaccuracy.

Being nosey, looking at other registered directorships, there is a long history of management consultancy in the field of sport and entertainment administration, concurrently with brief directorships at Watford, Wycombe, and Oxford.

So on the face of it an excellent administrative appointment.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

With the greatest of respect, Nick, it really looks like you're trying to generate some reason to dislike this Ashton bloke before he's even been in the door a full weekend.

By setting some arbitrary standard  for someone in his position as you have above, you would immediately rule out a huge number of potentially excellent people who could fill the role, and with a requirement that doesn't either prohibit or qualify them for the job.

Let's just give him time to see what he does; lining up reasons to hate on him before he's likely even set up his office seems a little weird to me.

You have the wrong end of the stick. I said there is no reason to think he wont be a good administrator, but pointed out he was not a director of West Bromwich Albion, as had been said, and also said I would like somebody with more footballing experience on the board - that isn't the same as what you are suggesting.

*****STOP PRESS******

Havanatopia has been spotted leaving Ashton Gate in one of the clubs stretched limo's. Apparently Aizoon has already been 'fingered' to be the new match day thread started when Hava takes up a caretaker role until the end of the season.

And on that bombshell .....

Uncle Moyes

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You have the wrong end of the stick. I said there is no reason to think he wont be a good administrator, but pointed out he was not a director of West Bromwich Albion, as had been said, and also said I would like somebody with more footballing experience on the board - that isn't the same as what you are suggesting.

That's fair; my apologies.

Regardless of his playing background, I hope he helps us build on what we have, and if he was involved in developing the system that led to our summer 2014 recruitment, that is no bad thing.

38 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

1) Technically, is it still 'today'?

2) How long will this thread go on for? 20 pages? 50 pages?

3) Eventually, of course, it will be correct - unless there is no announcement until the end of the world.

4) Do we even exist?

Uncle Moyes-meister.

The announcements already happened mate. 

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I need to do some more research on him to be honest, Nick.

But if he was responsible for setting up the recruitment system that led to our best summer of recruitment in the time I've been supporting the club and played a key part in enabling the club to attain Cat 2 status for the Academy then those are encouraging signs. Oxford fans can also testify that player recruitment was excellent at his time at the club.

Now those achievements have come at L1/L2 level and so it remains to be seen if he can replicate the success at Championship level and beyond, but in theory he is certainly the type of person I'd go and recruit if I was a billionaire that owned a football club.

I listened to the interview with Ashton on Player and am a bit concerned. He has been here before and is part of the "nothing will ever change attitude". He talked a lot about the "Bristol City DNA" and that players/staff need to have it. Fact is that we need to get rid of the unsuccessful Bristol City DNA if we ever are going to move forward. 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

The LinkedIn page says Director, West Bromwich Albion Football Club, 1990-2004. I would imagine most of the articles you have linked have assumed that to be correct.

There has never been a Mark Ashton, registered Director, at West Bromwich Albion Football Club, which can be checked here:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/officers

Thanks for the apology.

There was a Mark Ashton who was a registered director of the Albion Foundation, which is a registered charity, from 2000 to 2004, occupation Football Community Officer.

And it would seem from your last link he was "director" as in a title, not an officially registered Director, of youth development.

To say director of West Bromwich Albion Football Club is misleading, IMO.

Not saying he won't be a good administrator, just that I would like to see somebody on the board of Bristol City Football Club with professional playing or football managerial experience.

Ah, ok, you have a problem with referring to him as 'director' - that's fair enough. I also imagined the articles would just take his LinkedIn page as read, hence making sure there was something a bit more concrete from West Brom themselves, but can understand the issue with it potentially being misleading (even if, with them giving him the title "director", I'm not sure what else he could then refer to himself as - but that's beside the point).

However, I didn't mention him being a director/Director as part of a discussion to do with his suitability, merely in response to you questioning how he would know people there:

22 hours ago, NickJ said:

I would add, he is quoted as saying:

"The former West Brom goalkeeper added: “To have a game against my old team at the beginning of my tenure is the icing on the cake and I look forward to seeing many familiar faces on Tuesday evening!”

Considering he left WBA years ago without playing a game, don't want to be overly negative, but sounds like a spin doctor.
22 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Pretty sure he was a director at West Brom for about 15 years as well. 'Til about 2004 or so. Assume he's referring to this as much as his playing days.

Had I worded it as "pretty sure he worked at West Brom" perhaps we'd have avoided the confusion, as that's the important part.

Sorry (you're welcome :thumbsup:) to cause you to misinterpret my point, and thus waste your time.

8 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Ah, ok, you have a problem with referring to him as 'director' - that's fair enough. I also imagined the articles would just take his LinkedIn page as read, hence making sure there was something a bit more concrete from West Brom themselves, but can understand the issue with it potentially being misleading (even if, with them giving him the title "director", I'm not sure what else he could then refer to himself as - but that's beside the point).

However, I didn't mention him being a director/Director as part of a discussion to do with his suitability, merely in response to you questioning how he would know people there:

Had I worded it as "pretty sure he worked at West Brom" perhaps we'd have avoided the confusion, as that's the important part.

Sorry (you're welcome :thumbsup:) to cause you to misinterpret my point, and thus waste your time.

Not a problem, you just didn't make your point clear.

Of course the confusion would have been avoided altogether if Mr Ashton's LimkedIn page said:

"Director, Albion Foundation" and "director", Youth Development",

rather than:

"Director, West Bromwich Albion Football Club".

appointed COO and just returned to the club, this mans influence re the next coach's appointment will be significant

the head coach will report to him. it is very unlikely to be a manager let alone an 'i control everything' ego maniac

so probably not Jose or Moysey, but much more likely to be appleton and before you get upset he has a tasty little player at Oxford called Roofe

plus a lot of contacts at man u who he might be able to tempt

meanwhile yesterday..........a win at last and really good support for the team

Kodjia can't play lone striker, he can't hold the ball up; 

thought burns played really well for us yesterday

and even though williams didn't like playing left back the use of a back four really helped

at last we have a goalie who hasn't got the 'dracula's' fear of crosses

reid was fit flu and really good to see little back

wagstaffe finally gets a game but out of position

bringing on wilbraham for 10 minutes really made a difference

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

The LinkedIn page says Director, West Bromwich Albion Football Club, 1990-2004. I would imagine most of the articles you have linked have assumed that to be correct.

There has never been a Mark Ashton, registered Director, at West Bromwich Albion Football Club, which can be checked here:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/officers

Thanks for the apology.

There was a Mark Ashton who was a registered director of the Albion Foundation, which is a registered charity, from 2000 to 2004, occupation Football Community Officer.

And it would seem from your last link he was "director" as in a title, not an officially registered Director, of youth development.

To say director of West Bromwich Albion Football Club is misleading, IMO.

Not saying he won't be a good administrator, just that I would like to see somebody on the board of Bristol City Football Club with professional playing or football managerial experience.

Everyone fabricates a bit on LinkedIn- just read mine!

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 10:04, Mad Cyril said:

Is it someone's birthday?

16 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Yes! 

Yes! 

9 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Erm... I said YES.

(& everyone missed it...)

It's not too late though :) 

OK be like that then, see if I care... I dont give a flying damn...

If anyone of you lot are hoping for a Valentines day card next month, forget it!

Bollox to you. 

;)

4 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

On 16/01/2016 at 10:04, Mad Cyril said:

Is it someone's birthday?

Yes! 

Yes! 

9 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Erm... I said YES.

(& everyone missed it...)

It's not too late though :) 

OK be like that then, see if I care... I dont give a flying damn...

If anyone of you lot are hoping for a Valentines day card next month, forget it!

Bollox to you. 

;)

What are you trying to say WhistleHappy? Stop being so cryptic!

On 16 January 2016 at 15:14, Major Isewater said:

Appleton would be appointed ' head coach ' not manager .

I think you have a very good point there, and not dissimilar to the mumblings I have heard. Appleton would be a Head Coach, Pearson would be a Manager, for example. Now it depends which route we want to try or continue to who we bring in. That is the dilemma probably being discussed over the past couple of days.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I think you have a very good point there, and not dissimilar to the mumblings I have heard. Appleton would be a Head Coach, Pearson would be a Manager, for example. Now it depends which route we want to try or continue to who we bring in. That is the dilemma probably being discussed over the past couple of days.

As long as they have not been wasting time mulling over Appleton; pleased he has now distanced himself from such silly rumours.

• The title was changed to Announcement Today (on Saturday)

Looks like Stockhausen has paid very close attention to the words coming out of SL's mouth recently and going back to last summer and so on, the "philosophy" SL has clearly set out that he wants us to continue, or stick to, or get back to,  and concluded from this that it will be more of an "Appleton" type than a "Pearson" type appointed. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:
I know it's Stockhausen, and sorry if posted elsewhere. But this from twitter:

Just to help out you next manager predictors - I think club will go for a youngish, "modern" head coach with a view to the long-term.

I'm pretty sure that's just his opinion, we all know how contradictory our club is. Lansdown loves 'marquee' signings (Stewart, Bridges, Trundle, James, Coppell - attempts at Grey and Gayle) I'm pretty sure this is what he'll want now to coincide with the stadium fully opening next season.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm pretty sure that's just his opinion, we all know how contradictory our club is. Lansdown loves 'marquee' signings (Stewart, Bridges, Trundle, James, Coppell - attempts at Grey and Gayle) I'm pretty sure this is what he'll want now to coincide with the stadium fully opening next season.

Great point to mention PF.  It makes perfect commercial sense to go for someone who is going to put bums on seats in the new stadium.  SL will want a full stadium to impress sponsors, business associates etc.

A 'big name' might cost a bit more in the short term, but over a long period of time it gives a higher chance of more income.

7 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Great point to mention PF.  It makes perfect commercial sense to go for someone who is going to put bums on seats in the new stadium.  SL will want a full stadium to impress sponsors, business associates etc.

A 'big name' might cost a bit more in the short term, but over a long period of time it gives a higher chance of more income.

Exactly, this type of thinking hasn't really worked out for SL before; arguably only Trundle was a success due to his playoff goal! Actually Maynard probably counts too and he was a success overall.

However, I am sure SL will be trying his best to put us on the map with this appointment. He loves us being talked about in the press. Whilst someone like Edinburgh or Appleton may turn out to be astute, they simply aren't well known enough. If the board feel they can let Pearson and Ashton do their jobs without interference, I really feel we can become a challenging championship outfit in the next season or two.

Archived