IGNORED

Twentyman on radio Bristol

kiwicolin

I'm speculating completely but maybe the hastly departure of Cotts had something to do with MA arriving? Cotts unwilling to work with him or something? And Cotts give an ultimatum to the board it's him or me and considering this ultimatum compounded with poor results they chose MA. Remember when Cotts came in he was very vocal that he was a manager and not a head coach, reading into that I don't believe Cotts could work under this system.

Nothing ever gets built by committee.

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Let's give the chap a chance

After all he was the man that masterminded the summer 2014 signings

The club's structure is now looking distinctly 21st century with a head coach, Director of Football, and Director of Operations.  Seems good to me

Not sure he 'masterminded the summer 2014' signings tbh Ivor

He was here when McInnes was here - I think he may claim he 'put the processes in place' which recruited those players

This is amazing! I missed the interview, so just looked at the forum for a catch up. Overall the response is very positive. When did that last happen with a City appointment? And no mention that he was a "suit"

31 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:
10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Short term of course....but if we dont have a manager in place by the end of the week I will be disappointed. I really thought they had someone lined up....that's why he got the bullet like he did. 

If they havent...then I want to know why it has taken to now to get rid of a manager, that never looked like changing things all the way back in November.

The point I was saying was....I really hope they don't get given the job to the end of the season.

New manager asap please

ignore the tmor bit, i keep getting stuck like that. yes asap but at the  same time,more concentration on strengthening the squad before the window shuts for me. less chance of a new bloke bringing in his own squad more or less and completely changing things which could go either way where as we arent a million miles off getting it right with what we have plus a bit of help.imo of course.

the other thing i was thinking about was character of new players fitting in,jp would have a better take on that thus not rocking the boat

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Short term of course....but if we dont have a manager in place by the end of the week I will be disappointed. I really thought they had someone lined up....that's why he got the bullet like he did. 

If they havent...then I want to know why it has taken to now to get rid of a manager, that never looked like changing things all the way back in November.

The point I was saying was....I really hope they don't get given the job to the end of the season.

New manager asap please

My initial thought like everyone elses was that we had someone lined up, but it has become very clear IMO that isn't the case.

I agree that they could've ditched SC as far back as November, which would've been better timed but we are where we are.

Given this there is little point in simply demanding a new manager by the end of the week. There is no rush to get the right man who may or may not be available at the moment.

Pembo and Wade are perfectly capable of taking the reins for a bit whilst we find our new manager - if it's until the end of the season then so be it. Though I suspect it won't be after listening to Ashton this evening.

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This is amazing! I missed the interview, so just looked at the forum for a catch up. Overall the response is very positive. When did that last happen with a City appointment? And no mention that he was a "suit"

for some reason this made me think of David Brent as our new COO !!!! Ha ha - kept me laughing for last few mins !!!

I caught about 20 minutes whilst driving earlier and liked what I heard.

I was skeptical when he was was first announced but now I understand what he's going to be doing I'm happy with his appointment.

I agreed with pretty much everything he was saying and I think he came across well.

4 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

I caught about 20 minutes whilst driving earlier and liked what I heard.

I was skeptical when he was was first announced but now I understand what he's going to be doing I'm happy with his appointment.

I agreed with pretty much everything he was saying and I think he came across well.

Agree,all sounds good,just have to see if it now works. if players start coming in, good ones, then we will know the wheels are turning again,:fingerscrossed:

I would guess that. Landsdown and co were getting very concerned about Cotterills recruitment and so lined up Ashton to come in and sort it out. Cotterill was probably told, kicked up a fuss and was relieved. Harsh maybe but something needed to be done in regards to transfer activity as it was clearly an issue. 

Think this his turn of events ties in with not having a replacement lined up. 

1 hour ago, sodburyred said:

I would guess that. Landsdown and co were getting very concerned about Cotterills recruitment and so lined up Ashton to come in and sort it out. Cotterill was probably told, kicked up a fuss and was relieved. Harsh maybe but something needed to be done in regards to transfer activity as it was clearly an issue. 

Could this have possibly happened in a heated phone call?

1 hour ago, sodburyred said:

I think this is about spot on.  I mentioned there was definitely a disconnect, between SC and the Board.

However MA appointment bridges that gap, and everyone has defined roles within the club.

Anyone incoming, needs to accept this is the way things are being done at BCFC.  I cant imagine now after MA's has been solidified, we will as club stray from this philosophy.

I didnt hear the interview (expat and all that), but in the opinion of those that have I have one simple question;  Do you think that incoming player negotiations and the ability to get players signed will be improved when handled by MA.

Stevo

8 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

I am a bit surprised that we have not got a new man lined up, but hey this is City, so I shouldn't. It seems we are still dipping into the market to strengthen, and the  Pemberton statement at the weekend regarding his desire to manage, was very telling, would a comment like that be sanctioned if it was not a goer? 

The sacking came too late really, should have been November giving the new man time, now we just don't have time to go on a bad run. As said the Ashton appointment was probably no coincidence that Cotts went the exact time. What the club was lacking was a football brain at the club, with Ashton we have this, but in him there is more long term potential rather than a volatile manager / coach that holds all the cards. So the new  appointment will have to work with Ashton,  it will be the deal to maintain the future development of the club, a very shrewd move by the Board .

How many times do we see the managers persona at clubs dictate? Only for that manager to move on, and that club is pack to square one and the mission statement in tatters...until the next larger than life manager gets appointed. No way for a business to run, boom and bust, this is why SL has huge success, it is no fluke, and I think will be very instrumental in getting this club the success that is so long overdue.

10 hours ago, sodburyred said:

Do you think it's such a good idea though to just oust the manager that did so much for us last season and to decide to buy players yourself??

Pfft I'm sorry but I'm very concerned with what this Ashton guy has said about player recruitment being more urgent then a manager. Signing players by the boardroom folk and not a manager? B####### IMO.

Any other club people here would be slating it.

Isn't this the same "transfer committee" that gets slated at Liverpool and Tottenham?

What if we bring a manager in and players the board have decided to buy don't fit into his plans? Don't fit into his formation? The new "head coach" will be told what formation to play next?

Not happy with this at all. The disastrous summer, the backing cotterill less then a month ago then sacking him right in the middle of a very seriously important transfer window for us. 

Now the buying players with no manager and saying the manager doesn't have the final say?

This club has no idea what the hell its doing IMO.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Do you think it's such a good idea though to just oust the manager that did so much for us last season and to decide to buy players yourself??

What has last season got to do with it?

A football manager is judged on the here and now, not something that was achieved in the past

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

Pfft I'm sorry but I'm very concerned with what this Ashton guy has said about player recruitment being more urgent then a manager. Signing players by the boardroom folk and not a manager? B####### IMO.

Any other club people here would be slating it.

Isn't this the same "transfer committee" that gets slated at Liverpool and Tottenham?

What if we bring a manager in and players the board have decided to buy don't fit into his plans? Don't fit into his formation? The new "head coach" will be told what formation to play next?

Not happy with this at all. The disastrous summer, the backing cotterill less then a month ago then sacking him right in the middle of a very seriously important transfer window for us. 

Now the buying players with no manager and saying the manager doesn't have the final say?

This club has no idea what the hell its doing IMO.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

What has last season got to do with it?

A football manager is judged on the here and now, not something that was achieved in the past

Couldn't agree more Atticus. From what MA said, and taking it to a logical conclusion, every person in the selection process will effectively have a veto over player purchase.

Phantom - surely last season is very relevant, because it is a very strong indicator, together with the mess that he pulled us out of the previous season, that we had a very good manager, backed by an owner who had literally bought into Cotterill's methods and nous, following the miracle of the remainder of 2013/14, by backing him with the players he wanted in summer 2014.

This season, you have to ask yourself what went wrong. The main plausible reasons put forward have been the failure of the summer transfers, and tactics such as the formation and use or alleged non use of substitutes (I won't waste my time on the "lost the dressing room", "bully" and other nonsense put about). Given that there was previously no obvious failing in Cotterill's in tactics, I think the logical conclusion would be that this season has been largely if not entirely down to the failure of the summer.

I was told at the beginning of this season, from somebody who would know not just repeating rumours, that SL was refusing to sanction transfers, for a very specific reason. Putting 2 and 2 together, ie that information and the information which Tetbury Massive (TM) shared on a recent thread, it is clear that Cotterill was not being given the total control he wanted, was given when he was appointed, and had remained the case up to the end of 2014/15.

If TM's information is to be believed, and I personally find it very believable as it ties in with the other information which I had independently been given, the failure to complete transfers

WAS NOT, AS HAS BEEN CLAIMED, DUE TO COTTERILL GOING AFTER PLAYERS WHO WERE UNATTAINABLE TARGETS.

So, due to what may or may not have been a mix up in the summer, we did not get the players which Cotterill had identified and had lined up and as far as he was concerned would be Bristol City players. Why at the end of the summer did John Pelling leave? Was this significant?

Fast forward to say 3 months into the season, and we are the nearly team. Playing well, entertaining football, players giving their all, talented footballers, but not quite getting the results, generally agreed luck not going our way.

So Cotterill starts to get blamed, not just for the summer transfers, but for perceived other failings as well. The circumstances of the summer start to emerge, now there are question marks not just over Cotterill but also the board's part in the summer failure. If I were "the board", and IF TM's information were true, I would want to put a lid on that.

Fast forward again to this week, we are now minus what I maintain is a very able manager who had the rug pulled from under his feet, but plus may or may not be a very able football administrator.

I'm not getting how any of this, and where we are now, could possibly reflect well on those responsible for running our club. Such a shame as they had been doing so well for a change.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Phantom - surely last season is very relevant, because it is a very strong indicator, together with the mess that he pulled us out of the previous season, that we had a very good manager, backed by an owner who had literally bought into Cotterill's methods and nous, following the miracle of the remainder of 2013/14, by backing him with the players he wanted in summer 2014.

To me it would indicate for whatever reason, Cotts was a great manager for us in the 1st division, but certainly nowhere near that level in the Championship

Results back that up - ok there are many reasons why that may be the case, but even taking any limitations Cotts was under, it was clear results were not good enough. That is ultimately what a manager is judged on

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

Ashton said that they wouldn't even get to the point where the head coach/ manager is forced to have a player he didn't want. The new coach/ manager is part of the team regarding signing players not like a transfer committee where they just buy players for the manager. 

6 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

The sacking came too late really, should have been November giving the new man time, now we just don't have time to go on a bad run. As said the Ashton appointment was probably no coincidence that Cotts went the exact time. What the club was lacking was a football brain at the club, with Ashton we have this, but in him there is more long term potential rather than a volatile manager / coach that holds all the cards. So the new  appointment will have to work with Ashton,  it will be the deal to maintain the future development of the club, a very shrewd move by the Board .

with regards this bit,didnt we pick up a reasonable points tally in november?rotherham was disappointing but drawing with hull and beating wolves may have bought him some time maybe? i really havent a clue but enjoying all the whats,ifs and buts at the moment,theres  certainly enough of them:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, phantom said:

To me it would indicate for whatever reason, Cotts was a great manager for us in the 1st division, but certainly nowhere near that level in the Championship

Results back that up - ok there are many reasons why that may be the case, but even taking any limitations Cotts was under, it was clear results were not good enough. That is ultimately what a manager is judged on

If Cotts had players lined up to come in, and that didn't happen due to meddling by others, as TM's post indicated, that would be very unfair, don't you think?

4 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

with regards this bit,didnt we pick up a reasonable points tally in november?rotherham was disappointing but drawing with hull and beating wolves may have bought him some time maybe? i really havent a clue but enjoying all the whats,ifs and buts at the moment,theres  certainly enough of them:thumbsup:

Yep, but the Rotherham debacle should have been the trigger IMO.

Archived