IGNORED

Twentyman on radio Bristol

kiwicolin

Promised a précis of MAs interview so for you @GrahamCand anyone else who couldn't listen

Made some notes for those unable to listen

Right here goes - will try and précis what was said and keep any views out at this stage other than at the start 

I don't claim to have written every word or cover every point but will try and summarise the important / main messages as they were mentioned

(Thought Geoff Twentyman conducted the interview brilliantly asking just the questions we wanted but in a very professional way)

MA was in the studio 

Think most who listened or saw MA on Local News would agree that he's a very smooth, polished guy who definitely conducts himself very professionally and confidently and as some have mentioned would make a great politician ! As I said in fairness to the guy I don't think he could have come across much better - a bit corporate for my liking but that's modern business

* First thing GT asked MA about his job remit

MA confirmed COO but said 'don't get hung up on job titles' - explained he'd had similar roles at other clubs 

MA will 'control the day to day football operations / football department

Manager / Coach will report to him

Recruitment team will report to him

MA said at previous clubs he had lots of other roles on top such as finance, admin etc but at Bristol City he is delighted as this is done by Bristol Sport allowing him to concentrate purely on the football side

GT asked if new appointment would be a Manager or a Coach 

MA again said 'Don't get hung up on titles' , pointed out that he had recruited Rogers , Dyche and Appleton

Said that the Alex Ferguson type of managers aren't about any more and promptly only referred to head coach for rest of interview

Said the new Head Coach has to be bright and intelligent and buy into the concept , age not a barrier - kept saying 'The Fit' was all important , the 'Fit for Bristol City'

Said the manager needs to for, part 'of a collective' 

(During the interview was very complimentary about the club and its size and potential and praised the supporters for their support and noise particularly in last ten mins on Sat)

GT asked him who would be responsible for recruiting and okay in contracts etc

MA explained that he would head recruiting as part of a group

There was a lot of discussion / ex platoon abut this but summarised -

MA said that he is 'NOT Talent Identification' - that responsibility lies with the scouts and analysts under KB - he is there to oversee / ensure the 'process is in place.'

Recruitment will be an ongoing / evolving process with the Head Coach continually involved

GT asked MA about the 'timescale' of last week and whether he was coming whether SC was dismissed or not. MA said he was coming anyway and that conversations had been going on a while (about him coming as COO)

MA will ID a new 'Head Coach' and recommend to Board . he then clarified that he will 'lead a process' to identify a new head coach

MA mentioned that they needed to be respectful to JP & WE and highly praised their professionalism over last few days (Bigged up JP particularly)

Repeated he would 'lead a process to put a head coach in place' and this was underway - no timescale - won't be rushed - has to be the RIGHT person and 'the right fit'

GT asked if whilst coach search continued we would be pursuing transfers MA said ' %100 Yes' - players were a priority and targets had been discussed with KB , they've been very busy and active over last few days

Hopes to have two players in this week but can't guarantee 

Could be permanent , loans or both

KB will stay - he is good at ' player identification'

MA doesn't think massive changes need making at club - just tweaking

Kept talking about a 'pathway forward' !!

GT asked him about timescale for Prem League status - MA said no timescale - it's all about progression and moving forward - Naughty GT then played him SLs interview from Xmas when SL said he wanted to be challenging at top end of Championship next year at which MA laughed and said 'No Pressure then'

MA said he wants success but 'Sustainable success'

Said he knows and has worked with a number of owners and says SL is one of the best owners in Football and is right behind this club and wants success ASAP 

GT asked if MA was a contender - MA confirmed he wasn't in MAs list

MA said he wouldn't be rushed into appointment - it had to be right

Again praised JP and said 'until we decide on the right personmJP will continue.

No timescale 

Paid respects to SC and his achievements here

Said that not to underestimate the Club and the City which are both attractive propositions in Football World

Not a lot wrong at the club

Repeated re transfers 'We are On This'

Asked about Dack - ducked the q (basically as he did with all potential signings or coaches)

Said Players (signings) were a 'priority' even above the coach recruitment - more immediate need and timescale although coach recruitment process will continue

On future recruitment stated head coach would always be part of evolving / continuing process and thus wouldn't be 'given' a player he didn't want

Said JP has input into recruitment process at moment and listening to his opinions as no point recruiting players he doesn't want to play

GT asked if trying to get players here was a problem as no manager in place

MA said that actually - people they had been talking to in last 24/48 hrs were saying that they'd come because of the club (potential) etc and were happy with JP

Mentioned his son is a City fan from when he worked here before (MA is a WBA fan basically)

Said he wants to be open and happy to be open and meet fan groups , do Q&A etc where possible 

Think that's the the main thrust !!!!

51 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thought he come across very well, you have got to admire coming on the radio for an hour interview on your first day.

With regards to manager or head coach, he said titles were not important, it was about getting the right person. I am sure if they want to be called manager they will, but they have to be aligned to the system in place and have the right "DNA"

I laughed as he said 'titles don't matter' when asked about manager / head coach and basically never used the word manager ever again whilst smoothly tolling 'head coach' into most sentences

No 'Manager' at BCFC for the foreseeable - that was abundantly clear 

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Until the manager we want demands to be called the Manager?

Didn't get that impression Kibs

dont think anyone wanting to be called the manager won't get very far in the 'process' - it's buy in or don't bother applying as far as I read it

Asked about managers wages he ducked it basically but said they wouldn't want ahead coach only interested in the money

38 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

didnt milly do ok at palace for the short term? give the bloke some tools and see what he can do.

better than getting an appleton type in because hes ready to say yes

Millen should never have been given the job here. If they give the job to Pemberton....it proves they don't learn from their mistakes.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Thanks for that, interesting read.

Did he come across as business bullshitter or sensible bloke?

Personally I'm leaning towards sensible bloke. He can certainly talk the talk, whether it's just politician speak or actual meaningful words I guess time will tell. 

We shall see. . . 

Just been listening to it on catchup.

Thought he came over quite well. Very polished and confident, occasionally bordering on smarmy. Time will tell if he's a bullshitter but at least he seems to actively want to communicate with the fanbase which is more than can be said for the collection of deaf mutes that currently make up our board. 

The structure he describes is nothing new of course, it's what the club were trying to implement with O'Driscoll in charge but then proceeded to chuck out of the window when they replaced him with Cotts. If they're going to go for it this time then all well and good, but they can't just keep changing policy depending on who they have in mind to manage the team. 

Seems like a decent bloke but too much meaningless waffle. 100 words when 5 would do.   I'm paraphrasing, but things like "I'm passionate about doing the right thing"

Happy to give the bloke the benefit of any doubt. Behind the business jargon there appears to be someone who is genuinely enthusiastic. 

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

You are welcome Nibor

As for you're q - personal opinion - difficult if I'm honest - I'll call a bullshitter out anytime - but although he's very polished and corporate and not really 'my type' he came across as a nice bloke, very professional and I believe that he believes in the 'ethos'

I could see him doing a good job in terms of organisation, personal dealings in coach / player recruitment due to his obvious 'personal skills' 

I guess it's more about whether you believe in the ethos that he promotes and so clearly believes in

He certainly appears convinced and does a good job of selling it and sending out the right message

he Bigged up the club and fans but the a clever man would so difficult to gauge the sincerity but If I'm honest I do think he was genuine and does come across as enthusiastic and well 'up,for it'

(if you get a chance - worth a listen as I can't portray how he comes across - think that's a personal judgement - sure t will be on I-player tomorrow)

Typical modern corporate man really

As with everything time will tell and results in all areas will be the judge 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Seems like a decent bloke but too much meaningless waffle. 100 words when 5 would do.   I'm paraphrasing, but things like "I'm passionate about doing the right thing"

Happy to give the bloke the benefit of any doubt. Behind the business jargon there appears to be someone who is genuinely enthusiastic. 

Thanks for asking that question and I'm really glad you've brought that up.

22 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Millen should never have been given the job here. If they give the job to Pemberton....it proves they don't learn from their mistakes.

as a temporary measure,who else should run the first time as caretaker? im not on about permanently,i'd agree fully with you on that  but for the time being,theres not really anyone better than our assistant for the short term until the right bloke gets appointed

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought he was impressive. His pedigree at Watford and West Brom - both more successful than us and have both achieved promotion from this league - will show what we need to do. A few too many buzzwords for my liking but I have a good feeling about him.

Thought he (unsurprisingly) 'bigger up' his involvement with any success and his appointment of Rogers, Dyche and Appleton didn't you PH ?

TBF I'm not fully up to speed with his exact role at Watford but wouldn't think  that he was singly responsible

I know this will not be popular, in fact it is not a popular thought with me, but the notion of a Pembo, Elliot management team would be a lot more attractive then a failed manager of an English disposition that we will have to appoint from the list of 30 or so in SL's in tray. 

Witness the effort and desire, last Saturday, yes I know this might just be a reaction, but the system was changed, and less face it those two KNOW THE PLAYERS...are we to gamble with a new coach/ managers ego in playing a formation, or players not suited?  Only 19 games left, no room for bedding in of ideas etc, we need to hit the ground running, it's a tough call.

21 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

I think that's Pearson out for me. Fits with the "Im waiting for a club to hand itself to me and put full trust in me" from his fivelive interview. Shame I really wanted him, despite him being a pillock he has the perfect experience/ record

Agree with this and i could be wrong but didn't Pearson also talk about the 'fit' and it having to be the right one. Talking from the same page already?

37 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I listened - if the former we will only find out when its too late.

Short stints at Watford, Wycombe and Oxford would indicate he's a short term fixer and moves on, either that or just gets found out.

I was intrigued by reference in previous roles (including here in 2014) to being responsible for putting in place systems for player identification in alignment with stated criteria such as physical, physiological, financial. He specifically said he doesn't identify the players, just sets the identification systems.

Very polished performer that's for sure.

25 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

as a temporary measure,who else should run the first time as caretaker? im not on about permanently,i'd agree fully with you on that  but for the time being,theres not really anyone better than our assistant for the short term until the right bloke gets appointed

Short term of course....but if we dont have a manager in place by the end of the week I will be disappointed. I really thought they had someone lined up....that's why he got the bullet like he did. 

If they havent...then I want to know why it has taken to now to get rid of a manager, that never looked like changing things all the way back in November.

The point I was saying was....I really hope they don't get given the job to the end of the season.

New manager asap please

Archived