IGNORED

Bobby Reid

brad blit

10 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Completely disagree, some poor deliveries and long balls but on the ball going forward he is fantastic. He has a proper urgency and a ability to make a fast forward ball without taking years on it. Hope he starts next game. 

Freeman was same old, same old. Gets the ball, zero decision making, poor pass or lose the ball.

Pack was fantastic, won so many balls in the air. Kept it steady in front of back 4 

I will have a Gram of whatever your taking if you thought Pack and Reid were Fantastic tonight, come on take those rose coloured glasses off they were both Shite 

1 minute ago, City1970 said:

Not the only poor performer tonight. Ben Gladwin should be an improvement.

To be fair I think anyone would be on tonight's performance. 

I just don't understand the inability to cross a ball though, it's bread and butter stuff. Why is he entrusted to do it if he's so shit at it? With a team full of 6'5''ers it just couldn't be more frustrating. 

Poor excuse of a CM. Powder puff. Creates nothing. Wins nothing. Certainly not one that any manager worth his salt will continue to use in the championship. 

Corners are horrific. How noone within the club can see this is beyond belief and to let him continue to take them is surely a joke?

hes a L2 player at best im afraid. 

As @Simon79 says; nice to give him the sort of run others have enjoyed before shelving him for good - and those saying being a Bristol lad gets him brownie points; funny how that is always the stick pulled out first (that they get special treatment) yet I never see that excuse used to defend him.  He did lose the ball a lot, but he was also trying to make things happen, and the fact he gets his head up and looks for a forward pass is a positive in a system where he's got other players behind him.

Wasn't great tonight (that corner did sum him up) but he was one of a number who wasn't; Freeman was better, but let's not let oversell it - he had a shot and a nice freekick, but did also do his usual of overplaying and dithering before losing possession. He can and will do better, but he wasn't doing anything spectacular tonight, and has had times this season where he was miles worse than Reid was tonight against teams not playing Premier League football, so perspective on that.

Really, the plaudits need to go to Pack, who bailed out both Reid and Freeman repeatedly; considering the calibre of opposition, that is up there with as well as I've seen Pack play, and he should take a lot from that performance.  Think that Pack, Smith and Gladwin would be an interesting midfield trio, and I hope we get a chance to see that soon.

Sorry but to me Bobby looked like a little boy out there. Wes however looks as though he's done some hard hours gym and gave as good as he got with the addition of great acceleration Bobby has undoubted skill but unless he's tricking his way through a couple of players he just looks too lightweight for what is a completely different proposition this season.

Very poor performance by Bobby and most of our players tonight.

Disappointing, as it was a chance for players like Bobby to have a go and claim a place. Bobby looked like he was being asked to play deeper tonight, doing more of the Korey Smith role, which isn't Bobby's ideal position. No excuse for the dreadful set piece delivery though!

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

As @Simon79 says; nice to give him the sort of run others have enjoyed before shelving him for good - and those saying being a Bristol lad gets him brownie points; funny how that is always the stick pulled out first (that they get special treatment) yet I never see that excuse used to defend him.  He did lose the ball a lot, but he was also trying to make things happen, and the fact he gets his head up and looks for a forward pass is a positive in a system where he's got other players behind him.

Wasn't great tonight (that corner did sum him up) but he was one of a number who wasn't; Freeman was better, but let's not let oversell it - he had a shot and a nice freekick, but did also do his usual of overplaying and dithering before losing possession. He can and will do better, but he wasn't doing anything spectacular tonight, and has had times this season where he was miles worse than Reid was tonight against teams not playing Premier League football, so perspective on that.

Really, the plaudits need to go to Pack, who bailed out both Reid and Freeman repeatedly; considering the calibre of opposition, that is up there with as well as I've seen Pack play, and he should take a lot from that performance.  Think that Pack, Smith and Gladwin would be an interesting midfield trio, and I hope we get a chance to see that soon.

Agree that Pack should be singled out for praise, he was magnificent. Did a load of defensive work in the absense of Korey yet still everything went through him offensively  

They had the stats up at half time and he had something like 50% more touches and passes than anyone on the pitch. Same most games - the amount of stick he gets is ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

You're developing a worrying habit of writing sensible things. 

4 minutes ago, Cobbsoldun said:

Sorry but to me Bobby looked like a little boy out there. Wes however looks as though he's done some hard hours gym and gave as good as he got with the addition of great acceleration Bobby has undoubted skill but unless he's tricking his way through a couple of players he just looks too lightweight for what is a completely different proposition this season.

All of our players looked physically weaker than wba. Bobby Reid however. Men against U8's comes to mind. 

Stealing a professional wage i'd say!

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Finished?

Not sure about that, but he had a great chance to stake a claim with new players coming in. 

Not really! He is a young lad who has just started his second game in a row for the 1st time in I don't know how long against the toughest consecutive games we will have this season. And by reading a lot of the posts, that's it, not good enough! He wants the ball ( something I noticed you commented on), he brings some energy into our play. He will make mistakes, you have to accept that. Let the kid play a run of games. It's obvious( well I thought it was ) that he has talent. But I fear with the new signings he will slip down the pecking order once again.

finished now. Ta

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agree that Pack should be singled out for praise, he was magnificent. Did a load of defensive work in the absense of Korey yet still everything went through him offensively  

They had the stats up at half time and he had something like 50% more touches and passes than anyone on the pitch. Same most games - the amount of stick he gets is ludicrous. 

Exactly.

Shame the first thread after narrowly losing to a stable Premier League team was people (once again) stamping on one of our fringe players, rather than praising someone who's done well.

I've been very critical of Pack before but tonight he was excellent - as you say; did a tone of effective 'dirty work', but also helped move us forward far more than he has before - plus, a complete absence of the 'Hollywood' balls he so often gets found out on, which I think he resorts to out frustration when not involved.

Put Smith next to him tonight in place of Reid or Freeman (neither was great) and I think we might have been even closer, and could well still be playing tbh!

I notice nobody is complaining about his corner for the goal against Boro....

Maybe if he's really that shite we should give Middlesbrough their 2 points back and call it a draw with our apologies. 

Didn't watch it, only read the moans that our bottom of Championship team aren't good enough to breakdown and beat solid premiership opposition. One win and we are the best team in the country, i'd say we should be thankful we didn't get a hiding.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You're developing a worrying habit of writing sensible things. 

I'll reign it in, Fordy; I don't want to get a reputation... 

4 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

In the nicest way possible, this is why we need Dack. Reid is great off the bench but for me goes very quiet in games.

Agreed, and I think Gladwin may help out here too - Reid does struggle to physically impose himself (needs a look at Wes' gym schedule) but later in games, when your opposition defenders/defensive midfielders will have been battered by someone a bit bigger and rougher, I think his movement (which is good, whatever you throw at him) and speed will unsettle teams, and you throw him on against less organised and talented sides than WBA in that situation, and I think he'll impress.

Needs to find a way/position that allows him to do that from the start, but I think he's not really had the time on the pitch this year to work that out, and enjoy seeing him and the other attacking options in the midfield fight it out for places.  Was slightly surprised he wasn't swapped with Waggy to be honest; Wagstaff can put him self about a bit more, and could see Body doing well out wide of a withdrawn three.

I think we needed to have one of our cms playing right behind wilbs Reid is wasted trying to  play from deep.  As Reid is one few players who actually play early balls we need this for Kodjia to have one on one's rather then 3 on One's .

Hmmm to have jet here still playing behind Kodjia . 

Are we always looking to single players out?

He has played very little for us and tonight he gets to play against very experienced disciplined premier league players built like cruiserweights, and he gets panned for it.

**** me, is this the support Pemberton was talking about that the fans are to give the team.

We lost 1-0, we were out played, who'd have thought that at the start of the match?

34 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Nice to see the lad is finished after  a 2 game stretch. One against a top of the table team and unbeaten in I don't know how long ( really, I don't know how long!) and the other a premiere league club. He has had enough chances! We really do just keep reverting to type don't we. "Play the young lads Cotts" I thought was the cry? Un@@@@ing believable.

He needs to go away and spend a large amount of time in the gym to build up his upper body strength…..he is constantly shrugged off or out battled in challenges, and his dead ball delivery needs massive practice, as for passing ability, its non existent. He needs to spend a season with a lower division club to build him up and get game time. At present he's a million miles away from championship football……but he's got  youth on his side, and might make it as a professional somewhere down the line…….but I'm not holding my breath?

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

I think you flatter him.

He was like a little boy in the mens game.

And why the fk is he taking corners ? He can't reach the penalty area ffs.

One decent pass through to Burns (who should have buried that chance) and that was it. The rest was a bit embarrassing for him, the team carried him whole game.

I didn't expect him to be MOM against WBA, but I did expect him to be able to compete - which he was nowhere near to doing.

I've highlighted two comments that've made me laugh.

Firstly, he took 3 corners no more than 15 yards away from me. The first two created good chances and the final one in the closing minutes he fluffed. He has two assists from corners this season v Boro and Leeds. He can take a corner.

Secondly, he was poor tonight against Prem opposition however so were half a dozen of his team mates and unfortunately that is never going to be enough against a well oiled machine in WBA.

The midfield was powder puff and I hope we stop pissing around with Gillingham and pay them the going rate for Dack.

51 minutes ago, brad blit said:

2 games and done nothing really. Yes he created the chance for Burns in this game but for those thinking he is the 'messiah' or better than Freeman you need your head examined. Gladwin will take his place and Freeman pushed out left Saturday onwards I hope 

Said it for God knows how long....no where near Championship level and NEVER will be.

League two....possibly League one....at his best.

The lad is 23! By this age he should be making a difference to games and taking games.by the scruff of the neck. He isn't a kid in the football world.

That's the problem with so many of our fans. Happy to accept mediocricy just because he is a local lad. 

Wes Burns is still young enough but I still have huge doubts whether he will cut it at this level. As I said though, he still has a bit of time but he still needs to start making the most of his opportunities 

Reid was poor tonight and gave/ lost the ball away a lot. But Jesus at least he can actually spot a pass. For all of freeman's hard work and running he never ever finds a pass at the end. Both wouldn't be in my starting eleven but I'd certainly rather have Reid. At least he's useful in the final third and can see a killer ball. 

14 minutes ago, screech said:

Are we always looking to single players out?

He has played very little for us and tonight he gets to play against very experienced disciplined premier league players built like cruiserweights, and he gets panned for it.

**** me, is this the support Pemberton was talking about that the fans are to give the team.

We lost 1-0, we were out played, who'd have thought that at the start of the match?

It's the Bristol City way, generally we hate to see any local boy make good. Any chance we get we love to bring them down. Joe Bryan wasn't deemed good enough by many on here and they were only too pleased to see him struggle to get a foothold in this league. When he turns it around again they wont know what to say. Bobby Reid was poor tonight but that will happen, he has played 2 games against the toughest of opposition in 72 hours after a long period of hardly playing at all, but all the coaches on here are happy to write him off. He will never be allowed to have a bad game, Freeman was poor when he first came here but he was still given chance after chance until he improved last season. I would say that Bobby has created more this season that Freeman, but people just look the other way when he does. 

Archived