IGNORED

Bobby Reid

brad blit

On 19/01/2016 at 21:42, The Journalist said:

Anyone who thinks Bobby Reid is even close to Championship level is completely blinkered by the fact he's come through our academy.

Everyone's entitled to opinions, etc etc, but I'm just not having it. An absolute passenger.

To think this post had so many likes

I really dispair sometimes, the knowledge about City supporters regarding the game is often embarrassing

Bobby Reid was learning the game. He's now nearly there. What does he give the team? He's very fit, he rarely loses possession of the ball and now that Johnson has realised, he's a player who has the ability to get in the box and create problems and score goals. He's a top player who will get better and better. Stop criticising and get behind him. 

We're seeing the value of sending players out on loan with a view to bringing them back for a second or third chance. Well done to Bobby Reid for stepping up at the end of last season and our recent games.  I hope Wes Burns back does the same.

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

Be interesting to see how he does against Barry Bannan on Tuesday, a player the same size and stature of him.

Barry Bannan is amazing at this level. I love watching him play. A bit more versatile than Bobby I think but Bobby is probably better in and around the box. 

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

We're seeing the value of sending players out on loan with a view to bringing them back for a second or third chance. Well done to Bobby Reid for stepping up at the end of last season and our recent games.  I hope Wes Burns back does the same.

Exactly, he may be a late blossomer, but the appointment of LJ, gave him a bit more time to prove his worth.  So what if it's taken him to 23/24 to get there, he won't gave been costing us a fortune in wages up to this point, and now he must have increased his value.  I thought LJ would play Pack yesterday, so Bobby must be doing the right things to keep his place.  Adding goals is only gonna help his cause.  3 so far in the equivalent of just of 5 games is fantastic.  The league goals have earned us 3 more points too (2 extra v Wigan, 1 yesterday).

43 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Be interesting to see how he does against Barry Bannan on Tuesday, a player the same size and stature of him.

Not saying Bannan is not a tidy player, he has a lovely touch, sweet left foot, effortless at times, but does a lot of pretty passes to keep the ball moving.  In some ways that is good, but for all the rave about him, I'd expect more end product over a season.  Watch these comments come back to haunt us.  Will be interesting to see how they do.

LJ. Stated that BR has Premier League quality yesterday, which tells you everything you need to know about his thoughts on the fella. 

BR really did miss a sitter in the first half and is missing too many chances to hit the target when the opportunity arises. However he is getting in the positions (another LJ comment) and his strike rate should increase. 

Another of ours with value and its rising all the time we remain competitive. If we are in the mix come January who knows what may happen, particularly with some wedge in the bank to mount a challenge.

Delighted for Bobby, he has put in a lot of hard work the last year to prove himself and boy he has. 

Its mad to think he was miles away from the first team the season we got promoted and he has now managed to get ahead of Pack! 

Its great we have options on the bench who are all good enough to be in the first 11 I may also add.

54 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Delighted for Bobby, he has put in a lot of hard work the last year to prove himself and boy he has. 

Its mad to think he was miles away from the first team the season we got promoted and he has now managed to get ahead of Pack! 

Its great we have options on the bench who are all good enough to be in the first 11 I may also add.

I was interested to hear Chris Spittles I think? Say that he was the player that was the talk of the press room at half time. Reporters see lots of players in lots of leagues and it's good that he stood out enough to get their attention.

On 9/11/2016 at 13:23, Chairman Mao said:

To think this post had so many likes

I really dispair sometimes, the knowledge about City supporters regarding the game is often embarrassing

Far from me to speak up on behalf of The Journalist - he's perfectly capable of arguing his case should he see fit - but it wasn't only unnecessary for you to bump this thread triumphantly and disdainfully, but you're're talking nonsense imo.

It's you thinking you have superior knowledge of the game which is embarrassing. Your post sounds like Robbored at his most irksome.

The thread and opinions have to be taken in context. Five years after his debut, a player forever referred to as 'young Bobby' was still very obviously not up to standard. Yet another chance, and another false dawn after so many others before.

So it wasn't just The Journalist or the OP. The vast majority of respondents, including me - and some very surprising names - agreed with them.

Move on 8 months, or 5-6 in football terms, and we now not only have posters who have changed their mind 100%, but feel the need to chastise those they previously agreed with, because they have not altered their view with the same total conviction

Such a complete somersault of opinion could in itself be fragile and transient should BR have a few bad games or reverts to making the costly mistakes they themselves previously castigated him for.

So what's happened to the club, and BR, in the following 8 months? Lee Johnson arrived, of course, and with him a whole club policy to bring through the youth, and persevere with them. Just in time for Bobby, some might say, because that manager also happened to be someone who had coached him at U.14 level, liked him personally, and believed he could improve him.

Which he un doubtedly has, as I and many others have accepted, and said on this forum. It might also be said that perhaps Bobby has been largely relieved of some of the midfield responsibilities he struggled with previously, like the more defensive side of the craft, tackling and marking, and given more licence to find space, thereby receiving the ball under less pressure from opponents, and is being utilised in a a offensive manner higher up the pitch. More licence to impress if you like, and less likelihood of making those costly errors in areas he's less comfortable.

For the most part he has thrived in this role, and has indeed often looked impressive, and of course it does mean he's less likely to give the ball away in dangerous positions leading to opposition goals, something he had done repeatedly, and infuriatingly, at the time of this thread being posted.

All in all, under these circumstances, I doubt there is one previous critic who wouldn't accept Bobby Reid has markedly improved. We know LJ will not start him in games he feels unsuitable ( i.e Burton, Norwich) and will continue to nurture him in the way he feels Bobby can be most effective, and therefore be seen to continue to progress. He will also praise him highly when he does well, and notably is very loath to mention him when he doesn't.

5-6 months is a small time scale though, and at Bobby's age consistency over a season is the key. Too early to talk him up as a future PL player, or a likely big sale, he's nowhere near either, and still has his work cut out to get a regular place in the team when all are fit. This is despite the seemingly endless patience and encouragement of those at the club - both the coaches and those higher up - who have a real determination to have successful academy graduates to publicise and definitely - it seems to me - will give extra leeway while there remains a chance of achieving it.

Take Rotherham as an example of why he splits opinion. I admit I wasn't there, so my views are taken from other sources, including BCFC tweets. If you're convinced by BR you won't critcise him for 'missing' numerous chances before eventually scoring, you might even see the late goal as confirmation that he's a really good player. If you're not convinced then of course, while accepting he's improved, you might well think he should have scored at least once previously if he's given licence to get into the sort of positions where shooting opportunities can be so numerous.

It also seems that Freeman's fiercest critics, those who have written him off and would be pleased to see him leave the club seem to be amongst Bobby's biggest fans, hence creating a Freeman v Bobby argument. Freeman actually sounded to have a good game against Rotherham yet was pilloried for a couple of wayward shots, often by the same posters who ignored the fact that BR 'missed' many more.

I think everyone accept BR has always been a talented footballer, but then surely there must also have been a number of deficiencies in his game, as well as physique, to so delay a successful breakthrough?

Are these now behind him or is he being sheltered in a way that they are less evident? I don't know, time will tell, but if he can make a permanent breakthrough and continue to improve so that he goes on to leave City for a big fee and a higher division then that that would be fantastic.

Fantastic for the club, but mostly for what seems to be a very pleasant lad who, if it happens, will have persuaded someone outside the club of his all round abilities, and will therefore have richly earnt it.

Is this likely to ever happen? Well at the moment, and given previous sporadic episodes in the first team, there remain huge doubts still as to whether BR will even keep up his form with City.

As it stands no one has been proved right or wrong about Bobby Reid, no one should be crowing and there's certainly no need for anyone who put forward their view with respect to admit they spoke out of place. A forum such as this is for posters to say it as they see it at the time and when this thread was put up the vast majority gave their honest appraisal and had every reason to voice it the way they did.

BR's in a great position career wise right now, under the care and guidance of the best possible manager for him, but things - both the form of the individual and indeed those entrusted to evaluate the qualities of those in the squad and how to use them -  can change very quickly in football.

Bobby's had a very encouraging 6 months or so with visible much needed progress. Now he has to keep it up, be consistent, and make himself an all round midfielder who is a pick for all situations, and even hopefully be less wasteful when scoring opportunities are presented to him like on Saturday.

If he does all these things, then brilliant, it's even not completely out of the question he will go on to achieve everything his most ardent (and in some cases new) admirers envisage for him.

I suspect most of us remain somewhere in the middle though, latterly far more impressed but overall too short a time span to be anywhere near convinced. Fans shouldn't get carried away by a relatively short impressive spell but whatever their former doubts and criticisms, and despite not getting carried away in the opposite direction now, if it should eventually happen that Bobby confounds the justified former doubts by being an unexpected late bloomer under the right manager, then good luck to him.

Every Bristol City fan, without exception, hopes that proves to be the case and will be absolutely delighted if it is. 

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Far from me to speak up on behalf of The Journalist - he's perfectly capable of arguing his case should he see fit - but it wasn't only unnecessary for you to bump this thread triumphantly and disdainfully, but you're're talking nonsense imo.

It's you thinking you have superior knowledge of the game which is embarrassing. Your post sounds like Robbored at his most irksome.

The thread and opinions have to be taken in context. Five years after his debut, a player forever referred to as 'young Bobby' was still very obviously not up to standard. Yet another chance, and another false dawn after so many others before.

So it wasn't just The Journalist or the OP. The vast majority of respondents, including me - and some very surprising names - agreed with them.

Move on 8 months, or 5-6 in football terms, and we now not only have posters who have changed their mind 100%, but feel the need to chastise those they previously agreed with, because they have not altered their view with the same total conviction

Such a complete somersault of opinion could in itself be fragile and transient should BR have a few bad games or reverts to making the costly mistakes they themselves previously castigated him for.

So what's happened to the club, and BR, in the following 8 months? Lee Johnson arrived, of course, and with him a whole club policy to bring through the youth, and persevere with them. Just in time for Bobby, some might say, because that manager also happened to be someone who had coached him at U.14 level, liked him personally, and believed he could improve him.

Which he un doubtedly has, as I and many others have accepted, and said on this forum. It might also be said that perhaps Bobby has been largely relieved of some of the midfield responsibilities he struggled with previously, like the more defensive side of the craft, tackling and marking, and given more licence to find space, thereby receiving the ball under less pressure from opponents, and is being utilised in a a offensive manner higher up the pitch. More licence to impress if you like, and less likelihood of making those costly errors in areas he's less comfortable.

For the most part he has thrived in this role, and has indeed often looked impressive, and of course it does mean he's less likely to give the ball away in dangerous positions leading to opposition goals, something he had done repeatedly, and infuriatingly, at the time of this thread being posted.

All in all, under these circumstances, I doubt there is one previous critic who wouldn't accept Bobby Reid has markedly improved. We know LJ will not start him in games he feels unsuitable ( i.e Burton, Norwich) and will continue to nurture him in the way he feels Bobby can be most effective, and therefore be seen to continue to progress. He will also praise him highly when he does well, and notably is very loath to mention him when he doesn't.

5-6 months is a small time scale though, and at Bobby's age consistency over a season is the key. Too early to talk him up as a future PL player, or a likely big sale, he's nowhere near either, and still has his work cut out to get a regular place in the team when all are fit. This is despite the seemingly endless patience and encouragement of those at the club - both the coaches and those higher up - who have a real determination to have successful academy graduates to publicise and definitely - it seems to me - will give extra leeway while there remains a chance of achieving it.

Take Rotherham as an example of why he splits opinion. I admit I wasn't there, so my views are taken from other sources, including BCFC tweets. If you're convinced by BR you won't critcise him for 'missing' numerous chances before eventually scoring, you might even see the late goal as confirmation that he's a really good player. If you're not convinced then of course, while accepting he's improved, you might well think he should have scored at least once previously if he's given licence to get into the sort of positions where shooting opportunities can be so numerous.

It also seems that Freeman's fiercest critics, those who have written him off and would be pleased to see him leave the club seem to be amongst Bobby's biggest fans, hence creating a Freeman v Bobby argument. Freeman actually sounded to have a good game against Rotherham yet was pilloried for a couple of wayward shots, often by the same posters who ignored the fact that BR 'missed' many more.

I think everyone accept BR has always been a talented footballer, but then surely there must also have been a number of deficiencies in his game, as well as physique, to so delay a successful breakthrough?

Are these now behind him or is he being sheltered in a way that they are less evident? I don't know, time will tell, but if he can make a permanent breakthrough and continue to improve so that he goes on to leave City for a big fee and a higher division then that that would be fantastic.

Fantastic for the club, but mostly for what seems to be a very pleasant lad who, if it happens, will have persuaded someone outside the club of his all round abilities, and will therefore have richly earnt it.

Is this likely to ever happen? Well at the moment, and given previous sporadic episodes in the first team, there remain huge doubts still as to whether BR will even keep up his form with City.

As it stands no one has been proved right or wrong about Bobby Reid, no one should be crowing and there's certainly no need for anyone who put forward their view with respect to admit they spoke out of place. A forum such as this is for posters to say it as they see it at the time and when this thread was put up the vast majority gave their honest appraisal and had every reason to voice it the way they did.

BR's in a great position career wise right now, under the care and guidance of the best possible manager for him, but things - both the form of the individual and indeed those entrusted to evaluate the qualities of those in the squad and how to use them -  can change very quickly in football.

Bobby's had a very encouraging 6 months or so with visible much needed progress. Now he has to keep it up, be consistent, and make himself an all round midfielder who is a pick for all situations, and even hopefully be less wasteful when scoring opportunities are presented to him like on Saturday.

If he does all these things, then brilliant, it's even not completely out of the question he will go on to achieve everything his most ardent (and in some cases new) admirers envisage for him.

I suspect most of us remain somewhere in the middle though, latterly far more impressed but overall too short a time span to be anywhere near convinced. Fans shouldn't get carried away by a relatively short impressive spell but whatever their former doubts and criticisms, and despite not getting carried away in the opposite direction now, if it should eventually happen that Bobby confounds the justified former doubts by being an unexpected late bloomer under the right manager, then good luck to him.

Every Bristol City fan, without exception, hopes that proves to be the case and will be absolutely delighted if it is. 

What he said.......Well written piece 

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

And breath . 

I can't wait for your next novel .

Good but very long post ( we young 'uns have n't a very long span of attent...

oh look à chiffinchuffing ( no idea what this is but it appeared on autocorrect and I like it ) 

Archived