IGNORED

Being lead up the garden path.

bs3

How are we expected to sign any players with out a manager in place.  If I was a player I wouldn't sign for a club not knowing who would be the manger. As a player you want to sign for the team knowing that the manager brought and you are in his plans , how can this be the case when we have no one in situ.

Mark Ashton said on the radio that it is not a problem for players to sign for City with out a manager as we our a big enough drew as Bristol City for players to sign, what BS, we are not Real Madrid. 

Now the lad from Gillingham don't fancy coming to us. We have signed two loaness so far, I can't see anyone us coming , it is truley depressing.

The quicker we get a man in place the better. Listening to Mark Ashton again on Monday , I think Pembo will get the job till the end of the season. I have a feeling this was the plan by the board and MA all a long. They are just dragging this process out for us fans to make it look like they didn't stab Cotts in the back. Its all a charade. I could be a million miles off on this but time will tell. 

Its seems we are being lead up the garden path by Mark Ashton spin.

We only appear to have the Gillingham Manager's word for Bradley Dack not wanting to come to City.  When I was a kid, my friend's mum used to tell me that my friend didn't want to come out to play.  Didn't mean that he didn't want to (although I've long had my suspicions)

1 minute ago, bs3 said:

How are we expected to sign any players with out a manager in place.  If I was a player I wouldn't sign for a club not knowing who would be the manger. As a player you want to sign for the team knowing that the manager brought and you are in his plans , how can this be the case when we have no one in situ.

Mark Ashton said on the radio that it is not a problem for players to sign for City with out a manager as we our a big enough drew as Bristol City for players to sign, what BS, we are not Real Madrid. 

Now the lad from Gillingham don't fancy coming to us. We have signed two loaness so far, I can't see anyone us coming , it is truley depressing.

The quicker we get a man in place the better. Listening to Mark Ashton again on Monday , I think Pembo will get the job till the end of the season. I have a feeling this was the plan by the board and MA all a long. They are just dragging this process out for us fans to make it look like they didn't stab Cotts in the back. Its all a charade. I could be a million miles off on this but time will tell. 

About the only part of your post that appears correct.

Gillingham/Dack do not see BCFC as the best move for him as there are only about 6 places between us and we could be swapping places in the summer.........Justin Edinburgh would have said the same about BCFC whether we had a manager in or not.......

Mark Ashton has been in the job for only a couple of days and things are already moving yet it doesn't stop some people jumping on his back and churning out their own negative spin.......give him and the club a chance.

3 minutes ago, bs3 said:

That's the garden pathway, I think you'll find.

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction going on here, I think, bs3. If I were a player being signed by the COO who will manage the next manager, I would have every confidence that my face would fit into the team's future plans. I'm certain (although I have zero inside knowledge) that we will sign between 2-4 new players before the window closes. You're right, we're not Real Madrid; neither are we Bolton Wanderers. There are attractions of our club and its location both to prospective players and managers/coaches, despite what you may think.

If the management team is to be Pembo and Wade until the end of the season then so be it - we'll be in the good hands of football people who already know and love the club. It is more important, to me, that the Board take its time to make the right decision for the club's future.

Slightly off topic, but I wasn't really convinced by his interview on the radio. People like him just over complicate football massively.

Our board giving Cotterill the "managers" job was a relief at the time, considering the disaster that we had with SO'D when there were a number of people within the club assigned different roles, with SO'D being the "head coach", Burt responsible for "player identification" etc..

Seems the board have now reverted to that old mentality which annoys me as it horribly failed before. Will also put off many candidates who want to be the Manager of the football club and not just in control of picking the team.

OK so you think it is easier for a club to attract and sign players with a caretaker manger than with a manager in a full time post. Sorry Im not buing that. 

A manager need to be appointed this week to give us a chance of making a couple of decent signings.

3 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Seems the board have now reverted to that old mentality which annoys me as it horribly failed before. Will also put off many candidates who want to be the Manager of the football club and not just in control of picking the team.

I think that the Board seem to be reverting to the NEW football mentality, Aaron of looking to appoint a coach rather than a manager. That it didn't work with SO'D was down to a number of factors imo - it doesn't mean that the approach is wrong.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that the Board seem to be reverting to the NEW football mentality, Aaron of looking to appoint a coach rather than a manager. That it didn't work with SO'D was down to a number of factors imo - it doesn't mean that the approach is wrong.

Well I sincerely hope it's a success, just doesn't fill me with much confidence.

3 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Who mate me?

No not you, meant original post! I think overall he's probably necessary but I understand people's concerns about it. Probably a bit too much business speak in his early press stuff.

Genuinely interested to hear people's views about it due to the potential knock on it could have

Well we have hardly had a rush of permanent signings when we did have a manager.

January 15 - none

Summer 15 - 2 (one of which left again before the transfer window closed)

January 16 - 1 (who the manager described as a punt.)

As I have said elsewhere there are plans for the loan system to change next season. We should be acting now.

9 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

That's the garden pathway, I think you'll find.

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction going on here, I think, bs3. If I were a player being signed by the COO who will manage the next manager, I would have every confidence that my face would fit into the team's future plans. I'm certain (although I have zero inside knowledge) that we will sign between 2-4 new players before the window closes. You're right, we're not Real Madrid; neither are we Bolton Wanderers. There are attractions of our club and its location both to prospective players and managers/coaches, despite what you may think.

If the management team is to be Pembo and Wade until the end of the season then so be it - we'll be in the good hands of football people who already know and love the club. It is more important, to me, that the Board take its time to make the right decision for the club's future.

I agree with a lot of that but if we leave Pemberton in the job and get relegated what type of manager can we attract then ?

24 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Exactly, but everyone on here seemed to believe him and thought he spoke sense (smoke and mirrors).  He spoke well, but it is his job to speak well.

As you said, there is no chance anyone will sign permanently for BC without knowing who the manager is, it could be a huge mistake and damaging tor their career if the new manager comes in and doesn't favour that player.  Loans are an exception as they will go back to their clubs.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Agreed. It seems to be way forward in football generally though I still have some reservations about it...if a new manager buys say 6-7 players to fit his style on long term contracts but he's a dud, the new manager wants rid of 5...isn't it better to have some continuity?

City for some years was a large churn of players in and out...

Just as say a 'conspiracy theory', does anyone think that the Board are OK with us not signing anyone permanent? Helps 'save' money overall especially when SL is forking out a lot of money for the stadium. Keeps wages down as well.

Loan players still have weekly wages and fees but in the long term are cheaper than permanent deals unless players increase their value here. Maybe they are happy to pick up loan players after the window in hopes that they can keep us up.

7 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

I agree with a lot of that but if we leave Pemberton in the job and get relegated what type of manager can we attract then ?

... and that's why Ashton will be being paid the big bucks - to make the right call. If he gets it right, then happy days; if he doesn't then he should expect to cop the flak (and rightly so). He is actually in the land of no right answers - he'll be judged on the outcome.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. It seems to be way forward in football generally though I still have some reservations about it...if a new manager buys say 6-7 players to fit his style on long term contracts but he's a dud, the new manager wants rid of 5...isn't it better to have some continuity?

City for some years was a large churn of players in and out...

I admit to reservations too, because I'm a bit old and used to old ways HOWEVER, the concept of a coach working within a structure should work - it's the approach taken by successful businesses who don't replace all of their team every time a manager leaves. I guess we'll see soon enough. We just need to be patient and see what unfolds.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... and that's why Ashton will be being paid the big bucks - to make the right call. If he gets it right, then happy days; if he doesn't then he should expect to cop the flak (and rightly so). He is actually in the land of no right answers - he'll be judged on the outcome.

Anyone know his success rate in this role with other clubs?  All I can find is that he's either left stating he wants to get out of football, or been sacked from previous roles.

55 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I'm genuinely shocked we haven't announced a new manager yet. Makes the fact we got rid of Cotts NOW....even more ridiculous.

Why wasn't he sacked in November? It was clear as far back as then (Rotherham away for me), that he had no plan B, and was almost refusing to change a failing system. His refusal to change things or even make subs was nothing shy of negligence. Why wasn't he sacked then? 

We could have had a new manager in place by the start of the transfer window. 

Laughable 

24 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:
24 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We've signed two players without having a manager in place. Three if you count the lad from Cheltenham.

We were not going to make a large number of permanent signings in this window no matter who the manager was.

Despite the fact that, given our precarious state,it was/is essential to do so.

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I'm genuinely shocked we haven't announced a new manager yet. Makes the fact we got rid of Cotts NOW....even more ridiculous.

Why wasn't he sacked in November? It was clear as far back as then (Rotherham away for me), that he had no plan B, and was almost refusing to change a failing system. His refusal to change things or even make subs was nothing shy of negligence. Why wasn't he sacked then? 

We could have had a new manager in place by the start of the transfer window. 

Laughable 

I expect Cotts was told that Ashton was coming in and would be helping to oversee transfers.  Cotts would have been asked to leave if he didn't buy into it.  This is what Cotts has said in the past to the media regarding transfers, "He didn't want to get too many loan players in and unbalance the squad", "He wasn't prepared to commit to new players large wage demands which would again upset the dressing room with the players that have been at BC a long time and got us promoted".  Since Cotts left we got in 2 new loan players, both of which he could have brought in a week or 2 before as neither of them have hardly had a game all season.

1 hour ago, Im_over_ere said:

Just as say a 'conspiracy theory', does anyone think that the Board are OK with us not signing anyone permanent? Helps 'save' money overall especially when SL is forking out a lot of money for the stadium. Keeps wages down as well.

Loan players still have weekly wages and fees but in the long term are cheaper than permanent deals unless players increase their value here. Maybe they are happy to pick up loan players after the window in hopes that they can keep us up.

The cynic in me thought something similar. As soon as I heard cotts had gone i thought we wouldn't announce a new manager/head coach until the day after the transfer window closed

9 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

IMO we would not have gone down with him in charge , but now I fear. You obviously disagree but without the backing from a chairman it was always going to be difficult . Agree to disagree and just think you don't appreciate all the deigns facts from this seasons transfer dealings

I'll agree to disagree.

I think there has been lots wrong with the manager/board/chairman singing from different hymn sheets this year (or appearing to). However with the set-up that was I think Cotts was taking us down. Post Cotts I have a lot more faith we'll stay up - with either a new manager or Pembo/Wade.

4 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

IMO we would not have gone down with him in charge , but now I fear. You obviously disagree but without the backing from a chairman it was always going to be difficult . Agree to disagree and just think you don't appreciate all the deigns facts from this seasons transfer dealings

Out of genuine interest...what had you seen under Cotterill this season to suggest we would stay up?

4 wins in 28. One of the worst defences, we were struggling for goals and had one of the small squads in the football league. What did you see that no one else could?

7 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

We were a sinking ship and had won 4 games in 28, the performances were getting worse and we conceded goals for fun. No way would we have stayed up with cotts in charge. Plus he had started to lose the fans and there was a real negative ora around the club. With cotts gone we have a chance in games again imo

Archived