IGNORED

Being lead up the garden path.

bs3

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Out of genuine interest...what had you seen under Cotterill this season to suggest we would stay up?

4 wins in 28. One of the worst defences, we were struggling for goals and had one of the small squads in the football league. What did you see that no one else could?

Well - would you speak badly about your brother !!!

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

OK so you think it is easier for a club to attract and sign players with a caretaker manger than with a manager in a full time post. Sorry Im not buing that. 

A manager need to be appointed this week to give us a chance of making a couple of decent signings.

Not easier no, but it wasn't easy for Cotts was it?

We made a couple of decent signings in Gladwin and Pearce. Face it, manager or not players of the requisite quality to be worthy of long term deals and good wages will not want to sign for us whilst our league status is perilous. Nigel Pearson won't change that neither would Moyes because football is a short career and how often do you see players 'gamble' on their own abilities at a club like ours which has progressed very few careers? Hardly ever is the truth which is why we have ended up with journeymen. The players we have recruited in Kodjia, Smith may change that perception, but not before 1 Feb. 

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

Anyone know his success rate in this role with other clubs?  All I can find is that he's either left stating he wants to get out of football, or been sacked from previous roles.

Claims on LinkedIn page to have been a Director at West Bromwich Albion Football Club for 14 years.

Very short stints at Watford, Wycombe and Oxford.

Fan forum views at those clubs not very complimentary - but then some posters on here have been very uncomplimentary about our best ever manager so maybe he is good!

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Claims on LinkedIn page to have been a Director at West Bromwich Albion Football Club for 14 years.

Fan forum views at those clubs not very complimentary - but then some posters on here have been very uncomplimentary about our best ever manager so maybe he is good!

I'ver never read a bad post about Alan Dicks or Sam Hollis Nick. As fun as it was, to call Cott's our 'best ever Manager' is plainly laughable WTGR.

6 minutes ago, Cider red said:

We were a sinking ship and had won 4 games in 28, the performances were getting worse and we conceded goals for fun. No way would we have stayed up with cotts in charge. Plus he had started to lose the fans and there was a real negative ora around the club. With cotts gone we have a chance in games again imo

We had a chance before, in fact in many games we were very close to winning, so whats changed since? we have made a signing of some expensive guy in a suit and brought in a couple of loans.

Meanwhile the transfer window is passing us by and we don't have a permanent manager. Crazy imo how can we expect to sign anyone while we have a caretaker in charge surely any new manager will want to bring some players in and not be to keen to use others.

SC was sacked without any plan to replace him, and in the middle of a window.........really :facepalm:

Our squad is painfully thin and light weight in most areas, sacking SC WAS A MISTAKE if it was going to happen it should of before xmas,or not at all.

I cant see that we have any more chance of staying up now than we did a few weeks back imo we have less now.

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

Let's just hope that Mark Ashton is 110% behind the club Bristol City, the staff, players, fans etc like he says he is and that the other 2 businesses he is also chairman of as well doesn't take up too much of his time.

MA is 120% behind his paymaster, I wonder how many of our games he`s seen or how many players he knows?

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

We had a chance before, in fact in many games we were very close to winning, so whats changed since? we have made a signing of some expensive guy in a suit and brought in a couple of loans.

Meanwhile the transfer window is passing us by and we don't have a permanent manager. Crazy imo how can we expect to sign anyone while we have a caretaker in charge surely any new manager will want to bring some players in and not be to keen to use others.

SC was sacked without any plan to replace him, and in the middle of a window.........really :facepalm:

Our squad is painfully thin and light weight in most areas, sacking SC WAS A MISTAKE if it was going to happen it should of before xmas,or not at all.

I cant see that we have any more chance of staying up now than we did a few weeks back imo we have less now.

Have to laugh when I read this.

12 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Did you not think we had some bad luck this season ... Be honest. I could not have seen us going down regardless of not getting any players in ,,,, but if he had the backing of SL and allowed then we would have been fine. Now the money is available we have a chance .... Shame that money was not available in June onwards

Erm, it was available. About 6 million of it.

7 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Did you not think we had some bad luck this season ... Be honest. I could not have seen us going down regardless of not getting any players in ,,,, but if he had the backing of SL and allowed then we would have been fine. Now the money is available we have a chance .... Shame that money was not available in June onwards

We had some bad luck at the start of the season....but from October onwards, no. We were clearly coming up short in so many departments, it was ridiculous. The formation wasn't working....and substitutions were never used. 

He persisted with the same formation and same team week in week out. I don't know any other team who does that? You have to be able to adapt to different situations. We were to predictable.

As time went on his interviews got more and more bizarre. Saying we were fantastic at Reading....when we didn't have a shot on target for the whole game. There was countless other games where we really wernt 'fantastic'. Saying he would only sign players who could "play our style of football". It was ridiculous. Our style wasn't working!

This myth about not being backed financially. We don't know what happened. Saying he wasn't backed is you guessing. Just like I could say "he was backed but he refused to sign players who were more realistic, like Gladwin or Bradshaw". It's all hear say.

I genuinely could not see where our next win was coming from as the performances were getting worse week on week.

Whether we are relegated or not we definitely were in an unstoppable downward spiral with SC.  We now have a management team which is more flexible in its approach and dealing with SC's well documented failings

Moreover we now have a better infrastructure in place

I do agree SC should have gone months ago, but if I remember correctly not many agreed with me and a small band of others at the time

Time folks to move on, SC has gone never to return

We have some good players and have just signed two potentially season changing players on loan with more to come

COYR

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Have to laugh when I read this.

Me to... 22nd, appalling GD, 1 win in 12, scoring very few, conceding at an alarming rate.. yet he should've stayed.

Imho he should've gone after the Derby game... would've given the board time to appoint a new manager, for the manager to assess the squad and make the relevant changes/transfers etc.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Whether we are relegated or not we definitely were in an unstoppable downward spiral with SC.  We now have a management team which is more flexible in its approach and dealing with SC's well documented failings

Moreover we now have a better infrastructure in place

I do agree SC should have gone months ago, but if I remember correctly not many agreed with me and a small band of others at the time

Time folks to move on, SC has gone never to return

We have some good players and have just signed two potentially season changing players on loan with more to come

COYR

No-one knows if they are any better or worse than what we have already, Swindon Town ffs do we try the gas next

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

No-one knows if they are any better or worse than what we have already, Swindon Town ffs do we try the gas next

This comment makes no sense... Gladwin is from QPR and Pearce from Derby, Derby fans say that Pearce is a very good defender and Gladwin seemed a standout player for Swindle, gave us the run around.

6 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

This comment makes no sense... Gladwin is from QPR and Pearce from Derby, Derby fans say that Pearce is a very good defender and Gladwin seemed a standout player for Swindle, gave us the run around.

Agree with this, however, Gladwin was useless without the ball, static as..

14 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

You talking to yourself me old babber?

Any new manager is going to have an extra "boss" and will have to use the players already here it seems; unless the current 2 "cheapest options" stay which they could well do if we go down.

I could understand sacking SC if SL already had an experienced man standing by ready to take over at the start of the window; the way it is its a mess.

41 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

To a certain extent I agree, he should have been sacked before Xmas Imo. However after his outburst at fans and abysmal run of league form I don't see what option we had other than to sack him. Pembo and wade have shown more flexibility in two games than cotts did all season. I have faith we will have a decent manager in by Birmingham. And have more than enough in our squad to stay up with the change in the way we play.

8 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Any new manager is going to have an extra "boss" and will have to use the players already here it seems; unless the current 2 "cheapest options" stay which they could well do if we go down.

I could understand sacking SC if SL already had an experienced man standing by ready to take over at the start of the window; the way it is its a mess.

I don't disagree with what your saying here, We should at least have had a plan and going through a long list of applicants is not the thing to be doing at this stage.

We should be targeting a Decent manager and doing everything in our power to get him..

What I do disagree with is that you think keeping Cotts was a viable option, his stubbornness without a doubt was sending us down..

42 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Time will tell, wood and trees come to mind

I agree. Cotts could not see either of them let alone the shite formation and selections he picked that were going to save us. I appreciate what he did last year/season but we are well rid of him, his arrogance and his stubbornness.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

delusional, he had a monster budget in League 1 and was found out in the Championship where he could outspend everyone again

But if you look back to prior accounts not a wildly different wage bill to a certain mr o Driscoll who, granted never had transfer fees but he still had trimmed the squad of a lot of excess wages and yet still spent similar per week. Baldock may have accounted for a fair bit and JET too but sC replaced one of those (being the divisions leading goals order) and ultimately spun a transfer profit with a similar wage outlay and yet he delivered results. 

If SC had a golden spoon then it highlights just how incompetent sod was and I see some very selective interpretation going on here - not aimed at you Chairman. 

Ultimately Sc spent money, but spent it wisely and delivered. I see no stick to beat him with or downplay his achievement 

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Out of genuine interest...what had you seen under Cotterill this season to suggest we would stay up?

4 wins in 28. One of the worst defences, we were struggling for goals and had one of the small squads in the football league. What did you see that no one else could?

For me; I see the transformation from when he came in and use that as a yardstick and I don't think the performances were so bad even if results undoubtedly were. 

What I think would have changed is this: I think in the run up to the window SC was sending 'back me or sack me' messages to the board. By leaving the bench empty and by not rotating he was saying I don't have the tools here and was telling the board he needed more, publicly. Having seen Reid in recent weeks I agree on that count, Burns though I'll not defend him there. I see Cox an example of I need better not crack papering, although that is my own interpretation and I accept I could be wrong. 

I think he was posturing for this transfer window in a lot of what he was doing. Short term pain for long term gain.

I think once it (the window) passed the purpose of posturing would have departed and we may and would have seen some changes, but until then it was back me or sack me is my interpretation. 

I applaud his stance to an extent because I think he was right - we needed/need backing; look how many bemoan timing of dismissal for instance.

He kept us close and as bad as 4 wins in 28 sounds (and is) the pertinent fact is we were 2 points adrift at his sacking. To be so entrenched in the position that we could not have made up a 2 point deficit is arguably as ludicrous as suggesting he could and would have which you seem it to be - it's a bloody fine margin and to beat someone for disagreeing is unreasonable at such a fine line. At the point of his sacking the difference between staying up and not quite literally could have been MK Dons overturning our lead. To say over the course of 5 months it's unreasonable to think he could have made that up is of itself unreasonable. 

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

You will also notice on LinkedIn he is chairman of 2 other companies right now as well as his position at BC, find that worrying 

2 hours ago, ciderup said:

I'ver never read a bad post about Alan Dicks or Sam Hollis Nick. As fun as it was, to call Cott's our 'best ever Manager' is plainly laughable WTGR.

Statistically he is our best manager.

Having said that, Alan Dicks and Terry Cooper are for me the best managers in my lifetime for different reasons, but SC is a runaway 3rd; Johnson would have been up there were it not for basic failings.

Archived