IGNORED

Lansdown on Warnock

Marina's Rolls Royce

Not defending Warnock but the FA found no evidence of cheating by Sheffield United in their ill fated match against the Baggies in 2002. 

I have said it before i believe Warnock would be a divisive figure but how people can be so vitriolic against him having never met the guy is a little over the top; Cotterill is not too dissiimilar in terms of gamesmanship; it tends to be part of the game and if you look at a lot of managers who have had success they tend to need to be arrogant and pig headed. Maybe though, that hitherto ingredient assisting their success is indeed becoming a thing of the past and seems to be harder to adopt in the higher divisions not least because players are overpaid and often a bit too full of themselves; it requires a different type of manager more and more and partly explains, i think, why we are seeing more foreign managers who can sometimes handle the foreign players better.

what the supporters of Warnock i think are saying or asking is this; who would be the best person to save us from the drop? It is not unreasonable to suggest Warnock but only in that short term context. After all that is our only immediate priority.

On 24/01/2016 at 20:30, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For our next game against Birmingham, the cheapest a thirteen year old fan without a membership and almost certainly no job can get in is £22! And if he wants to sit with his mate in the Dolman, it's £29!

A ten year old in the same scenario is £17 and £20...for a child.

A family of four made up of two adults a 15 and a 13 year old from Birmingham will pay over £100 just to get in, without travel, food or drink.

That is a reason to be really pi$$ed off with the board. 

8 hours ago, cynic said:

Amen.

Warnock, imho, is a despicable, odious, backstabbing **** who is stuck in the dark ages of football.

The man is an ape.

That's exactly what we need

On 22/01/2016 at 15:39, Robin1988 said:

Because there are better managers we could attract who would hang around longer and be less abrasive.

Brian Clough was abrasive,a loudmouth and no yes man.....Alex Ferguson? .....we shall end up with a timid yes man-thats the desire of SL's heart-that will get you nowhere..........fast.

25 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Brian Clough was abrasive,a loudmouth and no yes man.....Alex Ferguson? .....we shall end up with a timid yes man-thats the desire of SL's heart-that will get you nowhere..........fast.

Can't see GJ and Cotterill fitting the description of timid yes men. 

I am pretty sure that the desire of SL's heart is a manager capable of enabling us to challenge for promotion, and if that means a more abrasive man, prepared to fight his corner then I am sure Sl would make that choice. Whether that man is among the candidates that have applied is another matter.

I am not keen on the idea of Warnock managing city but there are a lot of comments that completely miss the point of the other side of the argument...

He might keep us up vs. He's an ogre

I am confused by this one though;

10 hours ago, PaulieBS5 said:

Warnock is a dinosaur, long ball merchant, out of his depth, vile person, a primadonna, must I go on, etc..

All allegedly 

Mike Bassett comes to mind too.

Pardew summed him up rather well recently:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/07/alan-pardew-crystal-palace-charlie-austin-emmanuel-adebayor-neil-warnock

Pardew basically said what John Terry said about Robbie Savage the other week... NW hasn't even said anything outlandish about Palace or Pardew... Unless Paulie is just making the point he is capable of not succeeding (which for palace was Play-off's)

His gamesmanship suggests he's hardly one of the good guys, but is a motivator... I would argue we need a tactician, someone who can regularly catch the opposition out. Knowing our best formation and utilising other options to capitalise on the opposition's weaknesses trumps a team of headless chickens that keep going for 90 minutes (which is all a motivator will get from a team low on confidence with some highly skilled individuals).

Finally, what is with the short term deals? Is this not managerial 'pay as you play'? Surely any manager with a bit of hunger will want at least a 12/18month contract, guaranteeing their income whether they succeed or not.

I don't want to see Warnock at city, not for his last hoorah - I'd be more than bitterly disappointed if we appointed him because he is not right for the club, wherever he's gone, he's brought players in to make his mark and the type of players he's built his reputation on are not good for the long term success of the club.

23 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Can't see GJ and Cotterill fitting the description of timid yes men. 

I am pretty sure that the desire of SL's heart is a manager capable of enabling us to challenge for promotion, and if that means a more abrasive man, prepared to fight his corner then I am sure Sl would make that choice. Whether that man is among the candidates that have applied is another matter.

Probably not,sadly,with our spin doctor,the slick Mr Ashton wandering the corridors.horses for courses,the one priority is a man to keep us up,as right now mid table mediocrity is still a Pipedream.let's learn to walk first.

They sometimes get warnock in on talksport, and he comes across and engaging and interesting, like a jovial grandpa.

Get him anywhere near a football pitch though and he goes like cotterill though, he hates losing, which messes up his judgement. 

Not my first choice for us, but the man he is away form football is different than what the media portrays imho.

I keep hearing about Warnock's "disgraceful" comments after Sear's ghost goal at Ashton Gate. Presumably this refers to the accusation of "cheating" levelled at our players after that incident.

"Cheating" is perhaps too strong a word, but is no one willing to admit he might have had a point? Everyone in the ground that day knew it was a goal, and certainly our players did. If they had admitted to the referee that the ball had gone in - surely the honourable thing to do - then a goal would almost certainly have been awarded. Yet they didn't. Hardly an act of great sportsmanship. To say "they played to the whistle" is to hide behind the rules without acknowledging the spirit of the game. This was not a contentious decision that could be argued either way. It was a goal, pure and simple.

It's not difficult to understand why a manager - who lives and dies by such decisions - might react in such a manner. It was an outrageous injustice. If the incident had occurred the other way around, this forum would have been full of comments along similar lines about Palace.

While I think he went to far, I don't blame him for his passionate response and seven years down the line it certainly isn't something that would stop me employing him. If anything I'd like to harness that passion for our own benefit. In fact whenever I've heard him on the radio in a neutral capacity I have always found him engaging and likeable.

I await the backlash.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

They sometimes get warnock in on talksport, and he comes across and engaging and interesting, like a jovial grandpa.

Get him anywhere near a football pitch though and he goes like cotterill though, he hates losing, which messes up his judgement.

Not my first choice for us, but the man he is away form football is different than what the media portrays imho.

haha I couldnt put your summation of him on talksport better myself, always a very good guest.

Interestingly Talksport themselves today said during the transfer news that he was our target..

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing about Warnock's "disgraceful" comments after Sear's ghost goal at Ashton Gate. Presumably this refers to the accusation of "cheating" levelled at our players after that incident.

"Cheating" is perhaps too strong a word, but is no one willing to admit he might have had a point? Everyone in the ground that day knew it was a goal, and certainly our players did. If they had admitted to the referee that the ball had gone in - surely the honourable thing to do - then a goal would almost certainly have been awarded. Yet they didn't. Hardly an act of great sportsmanship. To say "they played to the whistle" is to hide behind the rules without acknowledging the spirit of the game. This was not a contentious decision that could be argued either way. It was a goal, pure and simple.

It's not difficult to understand why a manager - who lives and dies by such decisions - might react in such a manner. It was an outrageous injustice. If the incident had occurred the other way around, this forum would have been full of comments along similar lines about Palace.

While I think he went to far, I don't blame him for his passionate response and seven years down the line it certainly isn't something that would stop me employing him. If anything I'd like to harness that passion for our own benefit. In fact whenever I've heard him on the radio in a neutral capacity I have always found him engaging and likeable.

I await the backlash.

Would his team confessed that the ball went in? No, they would have been to busy getting up to their dirty tricks on the pitch, something that Warnock instills into his teams.  He is the biggest hypocrite in the modern game. Anyway, i said earlier in the thread, there are plenty of other examples of why i wouldn't want him near Ashton Gate.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Steve's exact words to me regarding "that" goal were :

" Couldn't of happened to a nicer man".

The goal that never was. Didnt the Linesman have his flag up for an infringment ? Thats been overlooked . Gary Johnson rightly pointed that out many times since but people are only interested in Gobby Colin and tango man.It makes better headlines. Tell a lie long enough and loudly enough and people will begin to believe it. We had a perfectly good goal cancelled for offside. I don't remember Warnock going up to the referee and saying "excuse me old chap,you may have made a slight error on that one". His tactics and his teams antics have left a soar taste in many fans mouths.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Would his team confessed that the ball went in? No, they would have been to busy getting up to their dirty tricks on the pitch, something that Warnock instills into his teams.  He is the biggest hypocrite in the modern game. Anyway, i said earlier in the thread, there are plenty of other examples of why i wouldn't want him near Ashton Gate.

The only surprising thing was the GJ would be one of the first managers to let the opposition "score" if there was an injustice that day - that was what rattle Warnock more than anything

Agree about his sides tactics - but it one of those things we all hate (like the dirty player) until they turn into our tactics and if we are winning games would we care?

17 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The goal that never was. Didnt the Linesman have his flag up for an infringment ? Thats been overlooked . 

No - the lino never signalled for any infringement - think it was just a total balls up by the referee 

I tend to agree with @ChippenhamRed post at the top of this page - one thing is for sure if it was the other way around that day we'd still be bitter about it too!

40 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The goal that never was. Didnt the Linesman have his flag up for an infringment ? Thats been overlooked . Gary Johnson rightly pointed that out many times since but people are only interested in Gobby Colin and tango man.It makes better headlines. Tell a lie long enough and loudly enough and people will begin to believe it. We had a perfectly good goal cancelled for offside. I don't remember Warnock going up to the referee and saying "excuse me old chap,you may have made a slight error on that one". His tactics and his teams antics have left a soar taste in many fans mouths.

The linesman didn't have his flag raised for an infringement as is clearly shown as the players celebrate. Please also explain why a goal kick was subsequently awarded.

10 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Many on here wouldn't want Ferguson or Mourinho though, no Championship experience you see...... :)

5 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Actually, having Warnock on our side might be a good thing. He fights for everything and gets the opponents upset. I don't think we have had anyone like that?

We just have managers who get our own fans upset. 

Archived