IGNORED

Could we all TRY and use public transport for Birmingham game?

Never to the dark side

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not against you NTTDS, but myself and many others get the 12:10 service up from Weston

But to be honest the service is crap, all over Christmas the service was full and standing by Worle and potential passengers were turned away

One journey home (17:28) we couldn't all get on, when we wrote to GWR to complain we were basically told the guard was right to stop passengers getting and we were basically unlucky we couldn't get on

GWR know when the matches on, they were able to find 20,000 extra seats for the Bath Christmas market but can't supply any kind of acceptable service in and around Parson Street for our fixtures

These train companys are pathetic you only have to look at there history during the rugby world cup and six nations an absolute joke. If they wont provision extra capacity for these huge tournaments we have no chance.

I caught the train from Lawrence Hill a couple of weeks back for the game on one of the rare occasions I was at home to do so and to be honest it was a dream journey.

No traffic, managed to get in a few more beers than usual and the return was simple. So next time it's more than an option.

Usually I get a taxi from the Airport as flying in straight from work. 

Definitely recommend the train for anyone going to the game from this side of town.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Drive 5 minutes to Keynsham station and get the train to Parson Street ?

30 mins going in (or 7 minutes if you get off at Temple Meads and get a bus or have a couple of pints on the way to the ground), but a bit longer coming back and best to go to Temple Meads directly.

£3.80 return.

All it takes is for the club and whoever runs the railways these days to get together and make it a bit more convenient and joined up - 7 minutes from Keynsham to Temple Meads is good, the last bit not so good.

Almost sounds reasonable until you look at the detail. Keynsham to Temple Meads 7 mins, hang around for 20 mins to change train for 6 minutes into Parsons Street - that part OK. However, coming back, sod all chance of getting on train at Parsons Street as will be full, buses back to TM could be full too, would take 35 mins to walk and then still got to hang around for next train - no thanks

If there was a proper match-day service in AND out of Parsons street to Temple Meads then I'd use it.

All very well and good, but from Bradley Stoke the most you will pay is £6-7 in petrol plus £5 parking. For a family of 5. 2 Adults 3 children your train is already £13.30. You then have to factor in a return bus just to get to the station in the first place. With both adults and children probably another £10. This doesnt involve any costs getting from Temple Meads to the ground. You would then have to leave an extra hour/hour and a half to get there, and you wouldnt get home until 7pm. so youve wasted almost 8 hours of your saturday. I can leave at 1, be home by 5:45 and still have my morning and evening to do as i wish.

To be fair, logistically it's pretty easy to get from Chippenham to Ashton Gate via public transport.  It's just the economics that don't add up - I take three people in my car.  Until public transport competes on price with taking the car, then I will continue to drive.  Ultimately the impact on my wallet will always be my main consideration.

• Admin
1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

What are the chances of being able to get on the 17.04 from Parson St. (heading towards TM, Abbeywood, Patchway) ?

Would I be right to assume I couldn't be guaranteed to get on due to the numbers?

Anyone know?

Ta

You will NEVER make it - our games always seem to finish near 16:55 - you'll never get to the station in time

• Admin
1 hour ago, cynic said:

Ashton Gate station would be handy....

You say that but it will NEVER be open when we need it

Look at the new station at The Ricoh - not open during any events due to the size of station and capacity of trains

Ashton Gate station is not the answer to this problem

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Works for Brighton.

Falmer station, for Brighton FC, works well because it's on the main line into Brighton from London.  This means there is a train every approx 15 minutes,each with a reasonable number of carriages. When / if Ashton Gate station opens it will be on a branch line to Portishead. The timetable obviously isn't published but, based on other local lines, a two carriage train every 30 minutes is probably the best that will be available on a Saturday afternoon.  This would nice,but it won't have much impact

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Not against you NTTDS, but myself and many others get the 12:10 service up from Weston

But to be honest the service is crap, all over Christmas the service was full and standing by Worle and potential passengers were turned away

One journey home (17:28) we couldn't all get on, when we wrote to GWR to complain we were basically told the guard was right to stop passengers getting and we were basically unlucky we couldn't get on

GWR know when the matches on, they were able to find 20,000 extra seats for the Bath Christmas market but can't supply any kind of acceptable service in and around Parson Street for our fixtures

Your a football fan , what do expect.  If you wanted to buy over priced candles out of garden sheds of course they will lay on 20,000 extra seats for the privilage.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Falmer station, for Brighton FC, works well because it's on the main line into Brighton from London.  This means there is a train every approx 15 minutes,each with a reasonable number of carriages. When / if Ashton Gate station opens it will be on a branch line to Portishead. The timetable obviously isn't published but, based on other local lines, a two carriage train every 30 minutes is probably the best that will be available on a Saturday afternoon.  This would nice,but it won't have much impact

Fair enough - can't argue with that. Although could the frequency of trains not be increased on a matchday to something worthwhile?

I take your point however that it cannot provide the same capacity as Falmer.

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You sure about that? Thought it was on the East Coastway Line.

7 hours ago, Webzcas said:

Parking this season is a joke. I have found I have to get there by 1pm on a Saturday, otherwise it is nigh on impossible to find a parking space.

I will either train it in on Saturday and walk from TM to the ground. Or use the Bath Road park and ride.

Ashton Court lower car park next to the Ashton pub. £1.20 for parking all day and 10 min walk to the ground (plus add back in all the time saved by not driving around looking for a space).

Always surprises me how few people use this.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair enough - can't argue with that. Although could the frequency of trains not be increased on a matchday to something worthwhile?

I take your point however that it cannot provide the same capacity as Falmer.

No trains , this country has a severe lack of trains , i remember reading that they just built a new line from Swindon to Gloucester but couldn't use it for two more years as  they had no trains to run on it and thats when they would be delivered.

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

When I was a lad (quick walk down memory lane) the bus company ran specials from all parts of Bristol to the ground on match days. They returned after the match. If this was still happening I'd get a bus. Now, there is no direct service so a bus trip is impractical unless I have plenty of time to waste. 

I did the same Pongo88 many years ago and have suggested this on other threads and even spoke to David LLoyd about it but there seems to be a problem between BCFC and First Bus, maybe costs, I dunno,  about reintroducing it. Same problem that stops us using the park and ride on matchdays. After all we are only long suffering football fans and we will turn up in our thousands anyway, whatever the weather and transport problems!

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

You sure about that? Thought it was on the East Coastway Line.

You're correct (sorry), though the frequency of trains through Falmer is approx every 15 minutes. I've used this line from Lewes (just up the line from Falmer) to Brighton on numerous occasions and the service is fantastic - e.g. modern frequent trains compared to the old wrecks used on the Severn Beach line.

Archived