IGNORED

What went wrong at Bristol City Football Club

NickJ

Interesting take on Coppells departure. Not the hearts not in it version we've seen many times before. 

Long contracts and higher wages. Hmmm now where have we heard that before in our history?

The main thrust of the article is highly critical of SL and the board. It makes you wonder how they reconcile throwing in good money after bad against their own poor management of the club from the top. 

Obviously a lot of these issues are the reason why we're trying to promote the academy and not pay over the odds for players and wages.  Given the basis of the article was "the manager was hamstrung due to the amount of money being spent on wages" and the recent cry has been that Cotterill wasn't allowed to spend over the odds, I think we can safely say it's not really 'deja vu'.

I'd also add that this article predicted doom and gloom yet within a year we were top of the league so the article was wrong in that respect.

@NickJ What I'm curious about is that not so long ago you posted rather a good article about how important it was the fans, the club, the players and the management stuck together.  Yet now every post you make seems to contradict that and seems to be "we must undermine the club at all costs".  By anyone's reckoning, we've had a decent week.  Two signings have arrived - with a far better pedigree than we might have hoped for - with strong rumours that one or two more will be in by the end of the month.  It just might be the fillip we need to turn things around.  Maybe it's time to put Cotterill's sacking in the past where it belongs and get behind the team and the temporary manager?

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Obviously a lot of these issues are the reason why we're trying to promote the academy and not pay over the odds for players and wages.  Given the basis of the article was "the manager was hamstrung due to the amount of money being spent on wages" and the recent cry has been that Cotterill wasn't allowed to spend over the odds, I think we can safely say it's not really 'deja vu'.

I'd also add that this article predicted doom and gloom yet within a year we were top of the league so the article was wrong in that respect.

@NickJ What I'm curious about is that not so long ago you posted rather a good article about how important it was the fans, the club, the players and the management stuck together.  Yet now every post you make seems to contradict that and seems to be "we must undermine the club at all costs".  By anyone's reckoning, we've had a decent week.  Two signings have arrived - with a far better pedigree than we might have hoped for - with strong rumours that one or two more will be in by the end of the month.  It just might be the fillip we need to turn things around.  Maybe it's time to put Cotterill's sacking in the past where it belongs and get behind the team and the temporary manager?

Yes I did write a good article thanks and to my surprise - given the negativity on here towards the manager at the time - it was "liked" by 60 odd people. Shame the club saw fit to sack the manager within a few days of that, particularly as at around the same time a - shall we say - privileged person who may or may not be connected with the club started a thread which included a comment extolling the virtues of said manager.

Anyway, apart from that just about everything else in your post is incorrect.

I haven't mentioned Cotterill so why do you.

There is a difference between "undermining" the board and questioning what has happened and what is going on.

Whether or not we have had a decent week and signed players with unexpected pedigree is an opinion and remains to be seen, but of course I hope you are right.

And the reference to deja vu was the apparent similarities in the failing of the board to 3 years ago, not a reference to any particular manger. Sorry if you don't like it but that's how it is.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Surprised you've not dragged that article out before Nick...it pretty much confirms what a few of us have been saying for years.

It's the structure and not the managers that have been at fault in the main.

Hence why I've always said managers would always struggle here.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

As a student, I find it weird to make claims without referencing your sources. Who wrote this article and is it factual?

I asked myself the same question (as a current - rather mature - student and a graduate!)

I'm not sure I've ever seen the tale of those years laid out quite so definitively. So for me the first question is is this accurate, and second, who wrote it…cos it's not stated in the article unless I missed something.

Of course, someone must know what actually happened when Coppell left and this could all be true. Despite having met SL a couple of times since I've always been too polite to ask! But is this the inside story, or just speculation? As it is it repeats much that was said on here at the time and since about the real failure at Bristol City…namely the failure of the people in charge to make the most of the assets at their disposal.

As I recall NickJ is one of the relatively few people to consistently question the Lansdowns' stewardship of the club, through the good years and bad. I don't happen to think that's undermining the club or inconsistent with supporting the team…I'd see as shining a light on the area which mosts needs attention. In the absence of any local journalism that will do the same long may that continue.

30 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I asked myself the same question (as a current - rather mature - student and a graduate!)

I'm not sure I've ever seen the tale of those years laid out quite so definitively. So for me the first question is is this accurate, and second, who wrote it…cos it's not stated in the article unless I missed something.

Of course, someone must know what actually happened when Coppell left and this could all be true. Despite having met SL a couple of times since I've always been too polite to ask! But is this the inside story, or just speculation? As it is it repeats much that was said on here at the time and since about the real failure at Bristol City…namely the failure of the people in charge to make the most of the assets at their disposal.

As I recall NickJ is one of the relatively few people to consistently question the Lansdowns' stewardship of the club, through the good years and bad. I don't happen to think that's undermining the club or inconsistent with supporting the team…I'd see as shining a light on the area which mosts needs attention. In the absence of any local journalism that will do the same long may that continue.

It's written exactly how I've seen it and been told...it backs up many things Nick, myself and a few others have said in the past.

It's a few years old,,,and I don't know who the author is...but if it were wrong surely the Club would have challenged it?

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's written exactly how I've seen it and been told...it backs up many things Nick, myself and a few others have said in the past.

It's a few years old,,,and I don't know who the author is...but if it were wrong surely the Club would have challenged it?

Not necessarily, it's not exactly 'wrong' but possibly missing a few 'allegedly' or 'possibly' to qualify the statements, especially those regarding Coppell. Does the author know for a fact that is the reason why Coppell left or is it their opinion? 

I'm not entirely convinced by that article.  I agree with @exAtyeoMax that for some of the stronger statements to actually hold water, they need references to some extent.  Unfortunately, football being the closed shop that it is, an awful lot of what is done and said goes unreported.

If the figures and transfer dealings are accurate then I would actually applaud the board for not repeating the mistakes of the past.  They've clearly seen the folly of recruiting one player on 20k per week and the upward pressure that it puts on the entire wage bill.  Since the end of last season, we have been conditioned to the idea that we will not have a big budget in the Championship and we will not break the wage structure for new signings.  You can debate the merits of it (at present, it could be seen as a flawed model) but you cannot accuse the club of repeating the mistakes of signing players in the David James category.

Equally, in these few short interim years since the article was written, the club has taken an entirely new direction with the redevelopment of Ashton Gate.  So the distraction and waste of money at Ashton Vale is now history.  The strategy will now focus on maximising non-matchday revenue and selling season tickets.  Again, a very clear difference.

And finally, my opinion of all of this season's terrible "misery".  There are 92 English league clubs.  9 teams from that group are promoted each season.  1 team wins the FA Cup,  A handful play in Europe and 1 team will be Premier League champions.  That isn't a whole lot of success to share around.  We had an amazing season in 2014/15, it's not realistic to expect equivalent or greater success the following year.  The recent signings look very strong on paper.  We clearly aren't going down without a fight.

I actually think the board of BCFC have learnt a lot since the article was written but this season more than any I can remember we have lost a lot of games by a narrow margin against the run of play.  It could be argued that we have been unlucky.  That's the difference between mid-table and third from bottom.

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Not necessarily, it's not exactly 'wrong' but possibly missing a few 'allegedly' or 'possibly' to qualify the statements, especially those regarding Coppell. Does the author know for a fact that is the reason why Coppell left or is it their opinion? 

It's exactly how I see it....I've not so much 'knowledge' on DM's time...but GJ, SC, KM and SoD.... You can go right back to when they left to see posts I put up regarding 'problems' at the club. Maybe the 'Author' has similar 'knowledge' but can't reveal sources...as many journalists don't.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Er I wasn't joking. This is a Stockhausen article that was originally published in The Post.

Wouldn't you agree its mainly correct though fella?

14 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I'm not entirely convinced by that article.  I agree with @exAtyeoMax that for some of the stronger statements to actually hold water, they need references to some extent.  Unfortunately, football being the closed shop that it is, an awful lot of what is done and said goes unreported.

If the figures and transfer dealings are accurate then I would actually applaud the board for not repeating the mistakes of the past.  They've clearly seen the folly of recruiting one player on 20k per week and the upward pressure that it puts on the entire wage bill.  Since the end of last season, we have been conditioned to the idea that we will not have a big budget in the Championship and we will not break the wage structure for new signings.  You can debate the merits of it (at present, it could be seen as a flawed model) but you cannot accuse the club of repeating the mistakes of signing players in the David James category.

Equally, in these few short interim years since the article was written, the club has taken an entirely new direction with the redevelopment of Ashton Gate.  So the distraction and waste of money at Ashton Vale is now history.  The strategy will now focus on maximising non-matchday revenue and selling season tickets.  Again, a very clear difference.

And finally, my opinion of all of this season's terrible "misery".  There are 92 English league clubs.  9 teams from that group are promoted each season.  1 team wins the FA Cup,  A handful play in Europe and 1 team will be Premier League champions.  That isn't a whole lot of success to share around.  We had an amazing season in 2014/15, it's not realistic to expect equivalent or greater success the following year.  The recent signings look very strong on paper.  We clearly aren't going down without a fight.

I actually think the board of BCFC have learnt a lot since the article was written but this season more than any I can remember we have lost a lot of games by a narrow margin against the run of play.  It could be argued that we have been unlucky.  That's the difference between mid-table and third from bottom.

I think our goal difference indicates we have not been unlucky.

19 minutes ago, Xiled said:

The difference between being mid table and third from bottom, is down to our disaster of a summer recruiting, the reasons surrounding that, and a manager that refused to change his system. All those 'problems'...revolve around 'poor management' from both board, manager and dof.

How anyone can condone and excuse what happened over the summer is beyond me. We shoot ourselves in the foot year in year out...yet there are always some fans that will say it's bad luck. Blinkered to say the least...either don't want to believe it...or can't see the wood for the trees.

If we were Crewe or S****horpe...I'd get it...but we are not...we've thrown money at short term fix's, have had no structure...managers don't have a clue as to who does what at the club. Then you get managers that try to work it the best they can in there own way. Dof's and 'Accountants' get put in place and they don't sing from the same hymn sheet.

Board members allegedly not seeing eye to eye or agreeing on things. 'People' feeling betrayed.

It's like a bloody soap opera down there.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

The difference between being mid table and third from bottom, is down to our disaster of a summer recruiting, the reasons surrounding that, and a manager that refused to change his system. All those 'problems'...revolve around 'poor management' from both board, manager and dof.

How anyone can condone and excuse what happened over the summer is beyond me. We shoot ourselves in the foot year in year out...yet there are always some fans that will say it's bad luck. Blinkered to say the least...either don't want to believe it...or can't see the wood for the trees.

If we were Crewe or S****horpe...I'd get it...but we are not...we've thrown money at short term fix's, have had no structure...managers don't have a clue as to who does what at the club. Then you get managers that try to work it the best they can in there own way. Dof's and 'Accountants' get put in place and they don't sing from the same hymn sheet.

Board members allegedly not seeing eye to eye or agreeing on things. 'People' feeling betrayed.

It's like a bloody soap opera down there.

I just hope that Mark Ashton is flexible enough when appointing the new manager/coach, and doesn't stick too rigidly to corporate ideas of DNA etc. I understand the need for someone who fits into the structure of the club but we also need someone who knows how to manage a football team

Archived