IGNORED

Who will be the loan striker

Ashtonwurzel

Why when the loan window opens are things suddenly going to be so much easier, recent history contradicts this.

SC moans about prices quoted for forwards after Yeovil game, a few weeks later we have massive bids accepted. No striker, but will sort it when loan window opens.

Cox arrives as solution, hardly gets a kick. Released, but don't worry the January window is about to open.

Bid accepted for Clough, but not agree a deal, we sign a player from France described as a punt by the manager, and interestingly is not even counting as a January signing in article on main site.

Team struggle to score, but deadline day results in no new goal scorer.

Today's Headline, we will try to get someone when the loan window opens, so same message.

I hope we are looking Today at players who are out of contract, perhaps there is a solution available now.

We need to remember that the loan window does not just open for us, but all Football League clubs

Goes to show the balance you need in this division. Fulham have two of the best strikers in this league and yet find themselves looking over their shoulder possibly worrying about Matt Smith coming to us even though he hardly gets a look in there. Our biggest issue is failing to convert throughout the team. We have created some great chances this season and missed some sitters and a penalty. I do think we need another striker without a doubt but I wish some of the others chipped in when the opportunity arose. Wasn't it every outfield player including loans pretty much scored for us last season. That makes a huge difference. I think Tomlin will prove key in the run in.

7 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Goes to show the balance you need in this division. Fulham have two of the best strikers in this league and yet find themselves looking over their shoulder possibly worrying about Matt Smith coming to us even though he hardly gets a look in there. Our biggest issue is failing to convert throughout the team. We have created some great chances this season and missed some sitters and a penalty. I do think we need another striker without a doubt but I wish some of the others chipped in when the opportunity arose. Wasn't it every outfield player including loans pretty much scored for us last season. That makes a huge difference. I think Tomlin will prove key in the run in.

Absolutely. Just made exactly the same point about the failings of the existing players on the "Won't Score Enough" thread. Even if we were lucky enough to get a very good striker in on loan, it won't necessarily make the required difference if the rest of them still can't hit a barn door with a shovel.

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Remember what an impact Defoe had when he went to Bournemouth all those years ago. We need someone like that, someone who could become an instant hero and fire us to safety! We may have to pay a loan fee though?

Closer to home Mark Robins did the same job for us as a fox in a box striker.   This is exactly the sort of player we need.   We play a lot of decent balls into the six yard box but unfortunately there is nobody with the instinct to be there at the right time.  Darren Bent is probably the closest that might be available but if a loan deal can be structured then to get the best out of him (goals) he needs to be allowed to take up good positions without having responsibilities to track back.

What a frigging crazy financial mess football is in when someone who can't even get in the Norwich first team is on over £1.5 mill a year.  No wonder ticket prices are through the roof. I don't blame anyone for making money out of a short career……..But the gap between the haves and have nots is gonna get wider, as agents negotiate larger wage demands based on the Millions Sky keep pouring into the game.

IF a striker comes in and scores the goals that keeps the club and all of the players that play for our club in the championship, within reason would the other players give a flying f#uck what he's paid?

I'm guessing, and this is purely my simple opinion, that they'd rather that happens and we stay in the championship (with this possibly giving them the chance to negotiate a pay increase at the end of the season), than be relegated and face league one status and wages. 

10 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

In 'My Opinion' DG wanted £19k a week, hes on £22k a week at CP but would receive a % of the transfer fee. We wouldn't go higher than £14k a week.

Not dismissing what you say TM but SL said they knew what DG was on at Palace and wages were not a problem. Are you saying SL was telling porkies.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What about Glenn Murray?  Not getting a look-in at AFCB and behind Afobe, King, Grabban (only play 1 up top).  Unused sub tonight.

Good shout Dave

Would be perfect - out n out finisher

Sadly too much money at stake ( if relegated) for Bournemouth letting him out on loan - likely to keep him even for the odd late 10 min cameo / goal hunt IMO

Sadly don't think he'd be interested in coming here either - hope Im wrong on both counts !

Of course Kodj and Wilbs might do ok, although both have shortcomings in their overall game, what gets missed amidst the clamour for a striker is that we have not been getting goals from midfield. If we only play 1 up front, we need more goals from the rest of the team to support the lone striker.

5 hours ago, Chappers said:

Of course Kodj and Wilbs might do ok, although both have shortcomings in their overall game, what gets missed amidst the clamour for a striker is that we have not been getting goals from midfield. If we only play 1 up front, we need more goals from the rest of the team to support the lone striker.

We should play with 2 up front. If we have ditched 3-5-2 then maybe 4-3-1-2.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

We should play with 2 up front. If we have ditched 3-5-2 then maybe 4-3-1-2.

I wondered that on Saturday, to take the pressure off Kodj as much as anything. With what's available, I think it's a touch of Titanic deckchairs, and just hoping we get the breaks in enough games until end of season. 

How about Serge Gnabry from Arsenal?    Wenger has said he wants him to go out on loan to a championship club with Chalton & Brighton favourites before the window closed

Chalton got Sanogo and Revell so maybe do need him now?

He's more of a winger but could fit our current formation? 

23 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Think he did. One goal this season, two last season maybe why he's happy to?

According to Sky Aluko was the subject of four enquiries from Championship teams on TDD and Hull turned them all down. No club names given.

We might have been one of them. Who knows?

If wages were not a problem I'd go for Darren Bent. I can't see that now is the time to bring in anyone who has little to no knowledge of the Championship.

Whoever we get will be expected to hit the ground running and contribute the goals to keep us up. That's a big ask of any player let alone a youngster with little experience. If Bent is out of the question then I really have no idea in whom we put our hopes.

43 minutes ago, ojjy said:

How about Serge Gnabry from Arsenal?    Wenger has said he wants him to go out on loan to a championship club with Chalton & Brighton favourites before the window closed

Chalton got Sanogo and Revell so maybe do need him now?

He's more of a winger but could fit our current formation? 

Thought Revell went to MK didn`t he?

Archived