IGNORED

Does this sound like our club ?

Fiale

Maybe this is why we have appointed Johnson, it would fit in with the clubs direction and confirm what others have said in him being the right fit. This Barnsley fan could be talking about our last 4-5 years.

From http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?239487-Lee-Johnson-s-Legacy

I liked Lee Johnson and I supported him, even in his darkest hour. I liked him because even when the pressure was at its greatest, he continued to explain his decisions, he maintained his even temper in the face of the provocation from the media and because he is intelligent and bright. The most important of those qualities, in my view, is his intelligence.

My football club has struggled ever since it emerged from Administration. It has struggled because it has failed to find a way forward, a way of operating and a sound business model that will enable it to compete in a competitive world and punch above its weight. Its strategy has been muddled. It has gone from one extreme to the other as the owner chose to invest and to then to choke off his investment and impose a policy of frugality. The results that have been achieved on the field, by that the long list of managers that have passed through the club over the years, have very much depended upon whether their reign was through a period of feast, or a period of famine. It was time to try something different.

The reign of Lee Johnson represented that change of direction that the club needed, and if Ben Mansford was responsible for the change of policy, he should be congratulated for it. Johnson was our first chief coach, but it was more than that. The success of the guy in charge of the team was judged by more than the short termism that comes from results on the field. I do not know exactly what he was targeted to achieve, but it was obvious to me that after 8 league defeats and an FA cup exit to a non-league club, there was more to it than results. There had been too many good men shown the door because the board had lost patience. Too many times, results were judged in isolation with no regard for other factors. It was costing too much money and the constant changes of direction that came from the changes in personnel at the top did not allow for the development of the long term strategy that is key to long term success. There are plenty of fans for whom the manager is a hero or a villain based upon his last result, who want to hire and fire on a whim. It is important that they are ignored. It is important that the club is run according to principles and a long term plan. It is important that the club is run intelligently. Lee Johnson was the first of a new breed, a guy who knew the game from the inside, but who had the intelligence to see the bigger picture, and adapt his knowledge of the game to manage within that bigger picture. He was judged not just on short term results, but also upon his ability to improve the players, and therefore to add to their worth. He was judged on how well the club was organised, how efficiently it was run and on the effectiveness of his short term and longer term planning. He was judged, not on what had happened today. He was judged on how well he planned for tomorrow, and those who judge him absolutely on what happens today will never ever see that.

I hope that our next coach is an intelligent one. I hope that our next coach will build on the legacy of our last coach. I hope that the change of coach does not mean that we throw everything out and begin again with new principles. I have no idea who the next guy will be, and that is entirely right and proper, because if we are to discover a hidden gem, he will be someone with a good reputation within the game, but who is unknown to us on the outside. He will be a young and intelligent coach who knows the game from the inside, but who can appreciate the bigger picture. Someone who can carry on the work of our last coach. Continuity is the buzz word relevant to our next appointment. There is no rush to appoint a new guy, because our season is virtually over. It is more important that we get the right guy.

No...not enough of these...to be @spudski...you know...whoever this is clearly doesn't have a large supply of dots...p'raps 'cos we have better resources here...

Hopefully...who knows...but hopefully...these extra dots will help LJ out...if he fits with these dots...we're on to a winner...IMHO...

Ain't that right, spuds?... :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

No...not enough of these...to be @spudski...you know...whoever this is clearly doesn't have a large supply of dots...p'raps 'cos we have better resources here...

Hopefully...who knows...but hopefully...these extra dots will help LJ out...if he fits with these dots...we're on to a winner...IMHO...

Ain't that right, spuds?... :thumbsup:

Haha....yes....you are indeed correct fellow Red ;-) One does like the use of ......

Btw...wasn't written by me, but it makes total sense ;-)

Very interesting take by the Tyke. 

As a player with us LJ's strength was his footballing intelligence, quick thinking and ball control. For my liking, however, it probably didn't sufficiently compensate for his lack of pace and power ... but it is his positive qualities that are now the more important and as with all his predecessors I wish him well.

Accountability for the £££s side of transfer dealings have obviously been made the remit Mark Ashton with coaching a clear separate function and I applaud that. 

It now falls to both LJ and MA to justify the great responsibility placed upon them. 

A rather impressive appraisal of LJ from an obviously bright and articulate Barnsley fan. 

Maybe - and it is a maybe, Mark Ashton saw the same things in LJ when they met.

Hopefully I and others will be proved wrong and that LJ turns out to be an astute appointment.

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.

I suspect LJ will buy into the 5 pillars more than Cotts.  There's a lot been said about continuity and maintaing the existing structure.  I suspect Cotts was a bit too old school in wanting to control more aspects of the club's than a coach would.  

As a club we have to have a sustainable business model.  We must spot and develop talent.  We cannot compete in the transfer market or on wages.  The club needs a philosophy and identity.  I think for all his faults S O'D knew this but couldn't achieve it.  With support from John Pemberton and Wade Elliott - both of whom seem calm and considered - hopefully LJ has a chance.

What he needs is support and encouragement and we as fans have a responsibility to think longer term rather than just moan about the last results. He will get things wrong, he will makes mistakes but we obviuosly have someone that has a real affinity with the club.  Let's get behind him.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A rather impressive appraisal of LJ from an obviously bright and articulate Barnsley fan. 

Maybe - and it is a maybe, Mark Ashton saw the same things in LJ when they met.

Hopefully I and others will be proved wrong and that LJ turns out to be an astute appointment.

Big man to say that , hope others have reassessed and give the guy a chance . 

40 minutes ago, redapple said:

Big man to say that , hope others have reassessed and give the guy a chance . 

Whether I agree or not regarding a new manager I have and always will "give him a chance". When GJ was appointed I was at Griffin Park for his first game and impressed with his respect for the fans. He had my full support - for a while. 

LJ will get my full support as well.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Haha....yes....you are indeed correct fellow Red ;-) One does like the use of ......

Btw...wasn't written by me, but it makes total sense ;-)

.......well maybe.........but that's your opinion spudski....... and the opinion of that Barnsley fan.......

.....I've seen other reviews from Barnsley fans glad to see the back of him.....

........is LJ a good coach, don't know but he is quite intelligent so lets say yes.... will he be complicit within the committee model..... if that's what's expected of him, yes definitely

But...... organisations and in particular sporting teams need a leader.... is LJ a leader. No I don't think so......

I can't see this ending well....for us or LJ, other than his bank balance....

45 minutes ago, NickJ said:

.......well maybe.........but that's your opinion spudski....... and the opinion of that Barnsley fan.......

.....I've seen other reviews from Barnsley fans glad to see the back of him.....

........is LJ a good coach, don't know but he is quite intelligent so lets say yes.... will he be complicit within the committee model..... if that's what's expected of him, yes definitely

But...... organisations and in particular sporting teams need a leader.... is LJ a leader. No I don't think so......

I can't see this ending well....for us or LJ, other than his bank balance....

Of course it's my opinion...based on what I've heard from some people that work in the game.

And of course you have your opinion Nick...that's not a problem...we all have them....what do you base your opinion on...and how do you know he is not a leader?

I've heard contrary to that...in that he is a good man manager, and doesn't shirk responsibility and is very hands on...doesn't go hiding when things go wrong, and try's to explain things to media and fans alike. Takes the blame if he has to.

Archived