IGNORED

Bolton

Marina's Rolls Royce

The thing is about Lee Johhssss

Its the 13 day countdown until BWFC return to Court to face their suspended winding up petition. So far the take-over talks are in tatters and the Supporters Trust have asked for preferred bidder status. Now bear in mind that no-one actually knows who has the financial clout within that ST group to pay the debts/wages and they haven't yet even opened a bank account- things are as bleak as ever.

On the 22nd Feb they return to face HMRC and pay up or go into administration and lose 12 points. Unless there is a flat cap version of SL, I think administration is actually their best option for survival as a football club. Worked for Portsmouth and several others. Survival not success.

I wouldn't ordinarily have anything other than a passing interest in this but whilst BCFC  need every possible advantage ( sorry Bolton fans) then 12 points deducted from a close rival is a result for us. As Charlton /Rotherham look all at sea, I think we can realistically pull away from danger with a relatively low points tally. Unlike most of our relegation rivals, we look like a mid table Championship side. Still unimpressive but I'll take that for now.

I don't wish them any ill will, or want to see their club wound up, but the sheer scale of their debt, and the fact that although I'm sure they are working behind the scenes to find cash, there have been further rumblings about not paying staff this month, nor any playing resources sold (which more importantly than fees in, would have cut wage commitments going out), it certainly looks like they may be in trouble here.

It would certainly alter the shape of the relegation battle; I actually think it would put a spring in yhe step of the teams like Charlton, Rotherham and ourselves, as it gives us more opportunity to avoid the drop, while the knock on effect of this might be Huddersfield and Fulham being drawn into the grim reality of a relegation battle.

Speakinng of which; will have a close eye on the MK Dons game against Boro tonight; could really do with the Smoggies doing us a turn and beating them - would make the whole bottom of the table look that bit better all round.

8 minutes ago, samo II said:

Speaking of which; will have a close eye on the MK Dons game against Boro tonight; could really do with the Smoggies doing us a turn and beating them - would make the whole bottom of the table look that bit better all round.

Ideally Boro will win by a wide margin to dent MK's goal difference

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Ideally Boro will win by a wide margin to dent MK's goal difference

That would be useful.

My only worry is they've slowed down on the scoring front, not having scored three since mid December, though you'd hope the fact that a win by three goals tonight puts them top would motivate them.

Plus, MK may have got a clean sheet away to Cardiff, but Boro comfortably beat them at home earlier this season, and if the Dons defence handles the likes of Admonah and Rhodes anything like they did Chelsea's quality players, it could get messy.

Would be a nice night for Rhodes to impress his new employers; a cheeky hattrick would be decent, and I wonder what the odds are on him notching this evening?

Someone who knows more than I do about these procedures may/will correct me, but I think 22 February is a winding up hearing: if it goes against them it won't be an administrator appointed, it would be a liquidator.

From a distance it seems utterly bizarre that they sold no one or even moved on any high earners in the recent transfer window.

Those of us old enough to have lived through '82 will recall that not only did we effectively make the Ashton Eight redundant, but we also were made by the accountants to sell both Jan Moller and Mick Harford to raise funds, leaving us with our reserves plus John Shaw.

I don't want to see them fold but think administration and the points deduction that follows it would actually be appropriate in these circumstances.

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

That would be useful.

My only worry is they've slowed down on the scoring front, not having scored three since mid December, though you'd hope the fact that a win by three goals tonight puts them top would motivate them.

Plus, MK may have got a clean sheet away to Cardiff, but Boro comfortably beat them at home earlier this season, and if the Dons defence handles the likes of Admonah and Rhodes anything like they did Chelsea's quality players, it could get messy.

Would be a nice night for Rhodes to impress his new employers; a cheeky hattrick would be decent, and I wonder what the odds are on him notching this evening?

This is Boro's game in hand which gives them the chance to open up a 3 point lead at the top. At present, their GD is three worse than that of Hull - their main rival for top spot. MK are the lowest scorers in the division with 23 compared to our 25. Everything is set up nicely for MK to win 5-0 - but let's hope not!

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Those of us old enough to have lived through '82.

I don't want to see them fold but think administration and the points deduction that follows it would actually be appropriate in these circumstances.

I also remember those dark days, and feel extremely uncomfortable reading comments on how Boltons' current plight maybe to the advantage of BCFC or any other club. 

BWFC may have been run badly, but remember the people losing their jobs and the average fan who are "the club" who are in a impossible position in all this mess.

I for one hope a successful outcome can be found off the pitch, while footballing matters are settled on the pitch & not in any courtroom. 

Football fans are football fans, we are only divided by geography. 

If it ends up like a company I used to work for HMRC will issue a winding up petition (which they have already) with a view to liquidating the club. The only way this can be stopped is for the club to pay them which is what it looks like the sale of this car park is for. HMRC have no intention of allowing the club to go into admin, nor would they agree to it, as, if they did, they would only receive 10p in the pound or whatever is decided. If they wind the club up, all assets are sold and HMRC, being a preferred creditor, would get what they`re owed before anything left is dished out to any others. Should this happen, Bolton would be expelled from the league and have to reform as a phoenix club a la Hereford or Salisbury and probably end up tenants of Wigan, Bury or Rochdale playing in the North West equivalent of the Toolstation. All points gained by their opposition would be deducted (1 in our case) and (I think) only two clubs would go down from the championship.

Once the HMRC debt is settled and the winding up petition withdrawn, the club is then free to go into admin should they want to.

The only question then concerns the timing of this. Do they accept they are already as good as relegated and take the 12pt deduction this season or gamble on staying up and accept it for next? They will have to make that decision very soon though as there are rules governing how close to the end of the season they can do it after Leeds played the system a few years ago and took the deduction after relegation became a virtual certainty.

They are really in trouble. Obviously, if they can stave off HMRC and then go into admin that would presumably be the preferred option but it really does entirely depend on whether they will have the cash (or at the very least, guarantees for it) by the 22nd.

God forbid we ever end up in this situation.

58 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

God forbid we ever end up in this situation.

God forbid the worst happens to Bolton too.

My wife's late grandfather, Harry (a lovely, lovely man) was a staunch Bolton supporter who was at Burden Park on 9th March 1946 (so 70 years ago next month) when 33 were crushed to death and hundreds more injured in the "forgotten" football disaster. He was at the other end of the ground so uninjured but remained a supporter all of his life.

In the mid-1990's a friend of mine knew someone who worked at BWFC and he obtained for me to give to  Harry as a Christmas present, a book detailing the club's history, personally inscribed to him by Nat Lofthouse, together with a Christmas card signed by Nat and another signed by then manager Colin Todd and the entire team. Harry died a dozen or more years ago but I inherited these invaluable (to me) momentoes. I have never supported Bolton, but would hate (for Harry's sake) for them to cease to exist.

I'm more than happy following my local club in the lower divisions. I would love to be a mid table championship club but you can shove the premiership up your a##. I thank my Dad everyday for taking me down the Gate for the 1st time at the age of 12 or I'd now have to follow a team somewhere from Manchester or London that I'd never be able to go and see unless I traveled for 4 hours to get there and pay £77 pounds a ticket for the privilege. So as I say shove the dream up your A##, please stop chasing the promised land of the premiership like Bolton did and lets enjoy our football club for a longtime to come because those who do are fools. COYR

6 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

I'm more than happy following my local club in the lower divisions. I would love to be a mid table championship club but you can shove the premiership up your a##. I thank my Dad everyday for taking me down the Gate for the 1st time at the age of 12 or I'd now have to follow a team somewhere from Manchester or London that I'd never be able to go and see unless I traveled for 4 hours to get there and pay £77 pounds a ticket for the privilege. So as I say shove the dream up your A##, please stop chasing the promised land of the premiership like Bolton did and lets enjoy our football club for a longtime to come because those who do are fools. COYR

I think you`d be surprised at how many non prem fans think this and they`re increasing all the time. I do certainly.

10 hours ago, NATCHER said:

I also remember those dark days, and feel extremely uncomfortable reading comments on how Boltons' current plight maybe to the advantage of BCFC or any other club. 

BWFC may have been run badly, but remember the people losing their jobs and the average fan who are "the club" who are in a impossible position in all this mess.

I for one hope a successful outcome can be found off the pitch, while footballing matters are settled on the pitch & not in any courtroom. 

Football fans are football fans, we are only divided by geography. 

Yes, Iunderstand completely that the fans get punished the most. 

Thing is- fans are almost never fighting with their club when they're spending money they don't have in pursuit of a dream...

"SL should get his cheque book out, LJ is the cheap option- we should get in Moyes, whatever the cost, etc."

It's only when it all goes tits up that we hear the the fans bemoaning the spending.

If a business is reckless, if it takes a massive gamble and it fails then why should it have any protection from the consequences? I'm sure there are loads of clubs who try to keep within a very tight budget who would be seriously peed off if other less careful clubs are allowed to get away with stupid spending.

Sorry but we're not divided by geography - we're divided by 4 points and I wish it was 16 points cos I love BCFC more than I feel sorry for Bolton.

Next time ref misses a clear penalty for the opposition-( MKD for example) - by all means bring it to his attention.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I think you`d be surprised at how many non prem fans think this and they`re increasing all the time. I do certainly.

The sooner the premiership implodes the better it's a playground for foreign investors that don't care about the Club or the fans and the FA are doing fa about it. The worse thing is it then filters into the football league and that's when it's in danger or ruining our club.

The sooner the premiership implodes the better it's a playground for foreign investors that don't care about the Club or the fans and the FA are doing fa about it. The worse thing is it then filters into the football league and that's when it's in danger or ruining our club.

It won't implode, the 'product' is good and it is the most watched league in the world, I must admit I prefer it to the predictable Spanish and Italian leagues and at least there is some equality when it comes to handing out the tv money. 

I`ve been banging on for ages about it only being a matter of time before football eats itself. I expect what will happen is that the `top` clubs will all bugger off to a European Super League and the tv money will dry up overnight. Watch what happens to the likes of QPR, Cardiff, Leeds and all the other basket cases then. We, thankfully, should survive it.

Just now, redfieldred said:

It won't implode, the 'product' is good and it is the most watched league in the world, I must admit I prefer it to the predictable Spanish and Italian leagues and at least there is some equality when it comes to handing out the tv money. 

that's what the Italians thought in the 90s, agreed not at the level that the premiership has hit, but it too was the best and most watched in the world then it all went bust and onto the next country. Our football league is around 150 years old and it's been torn apart over the last 10. How many top league games are played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? how many young English lads in premiership academy's are going to be given a chance in the future?

4 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

that's what the Italians thought in the 90s, agreed not at the level that the premiership has hit, but it too was the best and most watched in the world then it all went bust and onto the next country. Our football league is around 150 years old and it's been torn apart over the last 10. How many top league games are played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? how many young English lads in premiership academy's are going to be given a chance in the future?

Is the PL all that now tho? Its wonderful to see Leicester doing as they are, and the games are thrilling but our top sides don't exactly or haven't exactly delivered in Europe for a few years now.

Plus Moyes and Neville have been no success in Spain, Neville especially. Few years back maybe from 05-09 and vestiges in 2009-11 it was best very clearly.

I don`t think it is TBH. I don`t bother to watch much of it any more. IMO they`re still dining out on `Agueroooooooo!` which TBF was one of the great football moments I`ve ever seen but they bang on like things like that happen in every match.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is the PL all that now tho? Its wonderful to see Leicester doing as they are, and the games are thrilling but our top sides don't exactly or haven't exactly delivered in Europe for a few years now.

Plus Moyes and Neville have been no success in Spain, Neville especially. Few years back maybe from 05-09 and vestiges in 2009-11 it was best very clearly.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is the PL all that now tho? Its wonderful to see Leicester doing as they are, and the games are thrilling but our top sides don't exactly or haven't exactly delivered in Europe for a few years now. Plus Moyes and Neville have been no success in Spain, Neville especially. Few years back maybe from 05-09 and vestiges in 2009-11 it was best. 

you right money doesn't buy everything.

I hope the world turns it's attention to China now, plus money grabbing players do one and we can have our league back before we lose more clubs that are trying to chase the dream.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think it is TBH. I don`t bother to watch much of it any more. IMO they`re still dining out on `Agueroooooooo!` which TBF was one of the great football moments I`ve ever seen but they bang on like things like that happen in every match.

I remember that season quite well, recall watching it in pub with a group of mates it was real edge of seat stuff.

A fine season overall too I thought, perhaps the best in last 5 years until Leicester's astonishing surge and Chelsea's equally inexplicable collapse currently. Tottenham were a thrilling side too. The standard was high generally however.

9 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

you right money doesn't buy everything.

I hope the world turns it's attention to China now, plus money grabbing players do one and we can have our league back before we lose more clubs that are trying to chase the dream.

China is very interesting I think. Usually to these leagues its players at the end of the road but Ramires and Jackson Martinez do not fit this to name two!

Why would someone give up CL or a least a top 5 or 6 OE even 8 European League for China when only 28, they can earn a fair whack, and play to a solid-excellent standard.

Know what you mean about chasing dream and the perils of it, it would be nice if football was more grounded.

I am amazed how many people would like us to throw money at players, any players, to get short term success at the risk of having this situation occurring here. All of us that remember the Ashton 8 should keep reminding the younger fans of how that felt and make them understand why we should never go down this route again.

Archived