IGNORED

Are you confident we'll stay up?

reddogkev

Up til Xmas I was fine, thinking we'd turn the corner and we'd get the results some of our performances deserved.  That's not to say I didn't think relegation was still a possibility, just thought it wouldn't happen.

PNE was the first time I really started to worry that it was gonna take a real effort to get out of it, but I hoped the window would be good to us.

Middlesborough was a real watershed for me.  Winning, 1-0 at that, clean sheet, and an injury time winner.  Perfect result.  Gave the squad the belief back.

We are still in a fragile position, but I think the formation, style, returning form / confidence of Freeman (influenced by Tomlin) gives me real optimism, that we will clamber away, and be safe.  A Kodjia goal would give squad a boost too.  When he's scoring, you see a different City.

i think we will therefore stay up.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

After we lost away to Reading 1-0, I posted on here that we would be relegated.  The team seemed shattered, confidence had been drained, SC didn't want to change the system etc...

We looked destined for the drop.

Time moves on, and under the watching eyes of Pembo and Wade, results had improved to the extent that we've all seemed quite optimistic we will stay up.

Now, even without that elusive striker we all wanted, I feel we have the squad to keep us in the league (Tomlin will be the difference maker), but do we have the manager?

I still feel we'll be comfortable, and look to finish outside of the bottom 5, but what about you folks?

Id be a lot more confident with a new striker on board , otherwise it will be tight .

I think there are more fundamental problems with the club than who is at the helm, so in my view it doesn't matter all that much who is in charge.

Frankly, I would have preferred an experienced manager in charge that could have some pull with the board, and force them to do things properly. With that being said, LJ isn't a terrible appointment by any means, and I think he could keep us up.

31 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

To answer this question I think it could depend on what happens with MK Dons and Rotherham.

If MK continue to do poorly are they going to want to be a yoyo team from L1 to the Championship, or lose faith and sack the long serving Karl Robinson? I know they've been very loyal to him over the years and he's got them up, but will they allow him to take them down?

And with Rotherham, depending on the manager they get in could have a big bearing on our fate. Warnock is a northerner and might fancy his chances with a team like them, so who knows? One of the most unpredictable relegation battles for a while. Anyone from about 7 teams could get the drop! 

Not sure there was a clamour there last night for KR's head amongst the 8,000 mk dons...

Yeah; not confident in the sense we'll stay up without any effort, but that'll we'll fight for every point and stand a good chance.  

Form has ticked up since SC left and never felt the team were too far off, just missing some quality additions, and a change to the clearly not working 352, and with the system we have and the likes of Tomlin and Golborne, think we'll give it a real good go.

Like the OP says; after Reading I was resigned to being down and out early, while now we have a genuine opportunity to be here and build next year.

Will be a scrap, but at least we have a chance now.

I'm more hopeful than I was about a month ago. Things seemed pretty grim after the PNE defeat but since then our form has improved and we've tightened up defensively. We are out of the bottom three so we've got something to build on. I expect there will be more twists and turns but the signs are more encouraging.

I am confident mates. MK donshitty it's not better than us, Chalrton neither, and Bolton neither... we have to be better than 3 teams is not that hard, we have a better than than they have and better transfers in this winter round :)

I am confident for Premier League until 2020 :) Beeee moooree optimistic, we are not in the same position that we were 4 years ago :)

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Damn, Johnson has mastered this tactic of forcing the opposition into scoring own goals.

I wonder if there is a way to pressing teams into scoring a higher percentage of own goals.  Probably a German word for it.

Vorsprung dork technik.

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

I'm also confident that we'll stay up.

Not sure who will go down other than Charlton and Bolton if they go into admin or wound up (really couldn't give a toss if they do or don't), but it won't be us.

If Bolton lose points then Bolton, Charlton and Rotherham. If they don't lose points then I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulham, MK Dons or Even Blackburn join Charlton and Rotherham in the bottom 3. 

31 minutes ago, samo II said:

Yeah; not confident in the sense we'll stay up without any effort, but that'll we'll fight for every point and stand a good chance.  

Form has ticked up since SC left and never felt the team were too far off, just missing some quality additions, and a change to the clearly not working 352, and with the system we have and the likes of Tomlin and Golborne, think we'll give it a real good go.

Like the OP says; after Reading I was resigned to being down and out early, while now we have a genuine opportunity to be here and build next year.

Will be a scrap, but at least we have a chance now.

I think that's the main point, these players will fight to stay in this league, not sure that's always been the case in the past. 

We've tightened up and that always give you a fighting chance

3 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

Does anyone know what system LJ employed at Oldham and Barnsley? 442-352-424-451?

Yes, I think he tried this a few times but dropped it as being too defensive, what with the lone striker....and maybe the fact he wasn't allowed to field 40 outfield players.

Was confident with Pembo in charge but not LJ, I really think the guys out of his depth and I can't say that I was overjoyed with a 3.5 year contract for a manager who so far has done nothing.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong as I believe he cares about the club but if he wants to keep us up play Tomlinson through the middle and get a striker in NOW.

Looking at the fixtures for some of our rivals, Rotherham have got to play sides in the top half of the table for 7 out of the next 8 games.

After they lost to the bottom two in their previous two games, we've got to be confident of finishing higher than them.

And with Bolton and Charlton looking doomed, I think that will be enough.

Neither confidence nor despair for me.  It could totally go either way, and I think much depends on the tone set in the new manager's first game.  Will we play with confidence and aggression and energy?  Will we be negative and fearful and lethargic?  Who knows?  I hope the former, we've never really been short on effort yet this season. 

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Skuse and Pitman to score their goals?

If Pitman plays a part he may very well. Doubt Skuse will.

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Was confident with Pembo in charge but not LJ, I really think the guys out of his depth and I can't say that I was overjoyed with a 3.5 year contract for a manager who so far has done nothing.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong as I believe he cares about the club but if he wants to keep us up play Tomlinson through the middle and get a striker in NOW.

Tomlin.

As Nibor says could go either way but on balance i think we will be OK but the first match could be a baptism of fire.

13 hours ago, reddogkev said:

After we lost away to Reading 1-0, I posted on here that we would be relegated.  The team seemed shattered, confidence had been drained, SC didn't want to change the system etc...

We looked destined for the drop.

Time moves on, and under the watching eyes of Pembo and Wade, results had improved to the extent that we've all seemed quite optimistic we will stay up.

Now, even without that elusive striker we all wanted, I feel we have the squad to keep us in the league (Tomlin will be the difference maker), but do we have the manager?

I still feel we'll be comfortable, and look to finish outside of the bottom 5, but what about you folks?

Not without that elusive striker...........

Not confident we will stay up, however feel we can do it. The results under Pembo & Wade, 7pts from 4 games, if continued would see us pull well clear. Also as things stand we are not in bottom 3.

So all down to the impact LJ has, whether we stay up or not from here is all on his head. As someone else said if LJ starts tinkering to impress Ashton, or just to make his mark, it could all go tits up.

Will be able to predict much better after Saturday's game. Here's hoping for our first back-to-back wins which would send confidence soaring. 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

No, said weeks back we wont score enough, we need another striker. Kod needs to find the net or sit down.

When Kodjia begins to score again, he'll feel like a new player.  Even if we don't score a lot of goals from now until the end of the season, we'll grab enough 1-0 wins to put the points on the table.

The way the league looks, anything around the 43 point mark will be ample this season, and I'm comfortable we'll clear it.

Yes I'm confident.

Many people are talking about the 'elusive' striker but I feel with the new formation which will bring the best out of Freeman & Bryan plus the creativity of Tomlin who provides more threat will mean Kodjia gets more and better service, will eventually score and get confidence back.

Charlton and Bolton will go down and looking at Rotherhams fixtures it's very tough and will be too much for Warnock to sort.

Infact il go as far to say City will come 6th bottom, beating MK and Blackburn too

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Not without that elusive striker...........

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I am a bit more confident than I was before Christmas that we will stay up but it would not surprise me if we did drop.

We appear to have stiffened up our defence but the lack of open play goals is very worrying.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

No, said weeks back we wont score enough, we need another striker. Kod needs to find the net or sit down.

Since losing 0:3 to Rotherham at the end of November:

City  -  P 12  Gls (f) 7   Gls (a) 17  Pnts 12

Roth - P 12  Gls (f) 15 Gls (a) 22  Pnts  10. 

So, as you can see, Rotherham have scored more than double than us since we played them but gained two points fewer than us.

Even taking in our defeat there, making it 18 goals to our 7 over 13 games, they have gained one more point than us.

Over the season, it's 36 goals for Roth to our 25, and we have three more points. Rotherham have scored only three fewer than Boro, one fewer than Brighton, and five more than Forest in tenth place.

Rotherham and Charlton have the leakiest defences. That's their undoing. It was ours too, until, er, Cotts left. 

If, somehow, Kodjia finds his touch or luck in front of goal, and we maintain our improved defence, we should be more than ok. Even at the current low rate of scoring though, we've got a decent chance with a mean defence.

Like Samo says, we've got a chance now. But another forward would be a welcome boost

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Our home form is crucial to our survival, we really need AG to be a fortress in every game of those 8! 

Booing the opposition, cheering the boys on, getting behind the lads at every opportunity. They need us more than ever!

Thought you said boring the opposition then.. that could work!

Archived