IGNORED

Striker (not what you think)

Linkedarm wall

18 hours ago, Offside said:

I had the Striker game (hitting on the head version). I found some of my old players in my parents' attic a few weeks ago - still working perfectly.

Agree with you there. Great accessories as well like the stands and floodlights.

I still have the striker game - I bought it on ebay a few years back for me and my son to play - although I am missing a player from the blue and white team, even though it was bought as full squads !  :-(

When I was a lad, we had the super striker, the player we used to put up front for 'City' had a longer neck than all the other players and was hence nicknamed 'Ritchie' ! I swear City used to win everytime , if it was me or my dad being City...nothing to do with the other not trying to win - and if they did, it turned out being a 2 legged cup game !!

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Great picture @spudski brings back great memories of my youth :clap:

I'll see if I can dig them out when I get home tonight - but with a brain like a sieve liable to forget by time I get home tonight

Funnily...Subbuteo has made somewhat of a comeback mate. Many blokes of a certain age are 'reliving their youth' by collecting all the teams they couldn't afford as a kid.

There is quiet a collectors market nowadays.

You'd be surprised by what some of the teams sell for.

Would be great to see your City team...Geek alert...it will either be a reference 1 or 138...as seen on the poster below.

I had both on my bedroom wall as a kid....dreaming of owning all the teams and building a stadium with all the accessories. Innocent days of youth...sadly we couldn't afford much back then. Enjoy.....

subbuteo-73-74-poster-front.jpg

subbuteo-1986-page-02-03.jpg

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Bet it doesn't look like this one...which I modified ;-)

Sadly all packed up in the loft nowadays...think I've shown these before...my Subbuteo homage to Ashton Gate...taken many moons ago :-)

bcfc.jpg

bcfc1.jpg

bcfc2.jpg

bcfc3.jpg

Is the Keeper in the top picture 'doing a Basso' ?? It cant be John Shaw as he lost his hair, so take it its Cashley :clapping: 

Can you dig out the team from the attic and paint over one of their heads so we know which one is Shaw please ?

In all seriousness...great effort that mate, quality setup :clap: 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Funnily...Subbuteo has made somewhat of a comeback mate. Many blokes of a certain age are 'reliving their youth' by collecting all the teams they couldn't afford as a kid.

There is quiet a collectors market nowadays.

You'd be surprised by what some of the teams sell for.

Would be great to see your City team...Geek alert...it will either be a reference 1 or 138...as seen on the poster below.

I had both on my bedroom wall as a kid....dreaming of owning all the teams and building a stadium with all the accessories. Innocent days of youth...sadly we couldn't afford much back then. Enjoy.....

subbuteo-73-74-poster-front.jpg

subbuteo-1986-page-02-03.jpg

Blimey.

Could bore you rigid with this stuff. Used to trade a lot in this stuff. Most I ever sold a team for was about £350 or so from memory, a lovely 'green variation' Plymouth HW team. Most of my good sales went to Italy who were the big buyers ten years or so ago.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Blimey.

Could bore you rigid with this stuff. Used to trade a lot in this stuff. Most I ever sold a team for was about £350 or so from memory, a lovely 'green variation' Plymouth HW team. Most of my good sales went to Italy who were the big buyers ten years or so ago.

Surprised at that. Given the average Italian player spends a large part of their career rolling on the floor, I'm amazed at game that had players moulded to do the opposite was popular.

38 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Blimey.

Same here fella...I also paint replica teams to order in my spare time. Most end up in presentation box's or picture frames in peoples offices or lads dens.

I got commissioned a Busby Babes team for Alex Ferguson and have sold to well known collectors such as Paolo Di Canio, Gigi Buffon, Djockovic (sp) to name a few.

Like you say...it's very popular in Italy. I've been to fairs and Tournaments over there...even the local TV turns up to cover such events...think it's seen as Retro cool there rather than Geeky.

Had a few All green Plymouths...I collect HW's.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I heard that the Italians cheated in the Subbuteo World Cup....the put extra washers in the base, and also illegally used polish too.  Don't know if it's true.

Polish is legal...but adding washers isn't. TBH...the Subbuteo table soccer players take it way too seriously...and play Subbuteo like 'push h'penny'...check out the Oldsubbuteo Community...played for fun, in the right spirit...having a laugh with a few beers talking footy ;-)

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

TV's on in the background, but need to catch up with OTIB after a grueling day with 3 year old grandson! :laughcont:

A few more years older, and you could be flicking a Bristol City Subbuteo team against a Gas team with your Grandson...could think of worse things to do.

Just make sure if playing on the carpet, you kneel on their Centre Forward ;-)

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

A few more years older, and you could be flicking a Bristol City Subbuteo team against a Gas team with your Grandson...could think of worse things to do.

Just make sure if playing on the carpet, you kneel on their Centre Forward ;-)

Nice thought, but he's moving to Oz with his mum & dad in a few days.

Is there Aussie Rules Subbuteo? :whistle2:

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Nice thought, but he's moving to Oz with his mum & dad in a few days.

Is there Aussie Rules Subbuteo? :whistle2:

Poor kid...lovely Country...but I really hope he isn't subjected to that game...or Rugby League. Did my head in whilst living there for a year.

Thankfully they have Union, Cricket and Surfing as well as Soccer.

Surprising how many City fans I met out there on visits.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Poor kid...lovely Country...but I really hope he isn't subjected to that game...or Rugby League. Did my head in whilst living there for a year.

Thankfully they have Union, Cricket and Surfing as well as Soccer.

Surprising how many City fans I met out there on visits.

My eldest lad already lives there. Big City fan, but this season has dreaded checking the results when he wakes on a  Sunday morning!

Great country though, as you say, and super place to visit.

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The "Super Reds"!? Have you been buying merchandise from the Norman Hunter shop at Gilda Parade again @054123????

This was posted in a different thread.....but that's where I bought most of my Subbuteo (and my first set)....from the great man himself.  The other was Sportscene "up" Broadwalk!

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This was posted in a different thread.....but that's where I bought most of my Subbuteo (and my first set)....from the great man himself.  The other was Sportscene "up" Broadwalk!

Bloody hell really!? Amazing! I had a Norman Hunter pen and that was about it! 

Archived