IGNORED

McInnes on City - uncomfortable reading...

Olé

Nothing McInnes said is surprising.  

I think most on here, be they glass-half-full or empty about the state of the club, would acknowledge we had a bit of a period in the wilderness, and McInnes faced a difficult task, the first part of which (as in keeping up up that first season) he did well.

But that doesn't leave him blameless for the shoddy management he displayed of the squad he had, bloated or not, and which he also added to, as well as trimmed, in ways that arguably made it far, far worse.

I was exited to see what he could do, and it turned out he wasn't up to the task.  

Plenty of young managers go into similarly trying circumstances and make it work; he couldn't, so sad as that was, not bothered with hearing excuses now he's doing well with a traditionally big team in a league that even the least cynical observer would describe as being as weak as it has for decades currently.  But fair play to him for doing well at Aberdeen.

I don't know if we are in a better state now off field, but from my non-ITK position, we certainly have a tighter and more compact squad, and though we've not actually done much permanent recruitment the last 18 months, I don't think we've signed anyone as bad as Foster or Wilson, that is for sure.

20 minutes ago, Londoner said:

And this is why he failed.

Pearson - could do a job at best

Foster, - dire one of the worst city players in ten years arguably ever

Wood - very average for us

McManus (twice!), - liability

Davis, - sick note played one game complete waste of money?

Ephraim, did a job for us but not championship level

Bikey, - did a great job for us

Kienan - NEVER PLAYED A GAME!!!

Morris, - less said the better

Cunningham, - good championship player

Anderson, - never given a chance, proven at the level before he signed

Heaton, - class

Marc Wilson, - bad egg and shit

Davies - scored goals and lots of natural talent

, baldock - good player still not convinced championship goalscorer

Bates, - dire and waste of money

Kelly, - hard working but very limited

Elokobi - injury obv

Briggs, - shit

Danny Wilson. - who?

So of the 32 players we used that season a very large chunk were his dire signings!  40-50 Zulu's....... what a tool.

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

What I don't get is using his results to counter-balance the argument that the club is a shambles? Yes his results were terrible, yes he deserved to be sacked but if you ask someone to build you a house and give them a set of bob the builder plastic toys, some sand, water and a pile of bricks would you be surprised if the "house" you got was not up to standard and collapsed in a week?  That's essentially what our club seems to be doing, "Hey new manager, this league requires some heavy financing to be competitive but here's £2m, use that to change our club into something competitive? Oh? What do you mean we have too many overpaid players already who aren't up to the task? I'm sure you can fix that, after all you're going to take the blame, not us...."

McInness is not someone I have any loyalty to but I still think to this day he was stitched up and once he was here he knew it, he had to options, to do the best with what he had to work with (over expensive plastic toy crap) or quit. As a person I don't blame him for hanging in and getting his money, the club stitched him up and he returned them in kind by making them pay financially. 
I honestly don't see our club as supportive of the manager, they just say what they need to say to seem professional. I also think this is why Coppell bailed on us, he started doing his work after being promiced that we were a big up and coming club and then he realised what the clubs situation really was and he got out before it reflected badly on him. By leaving like he did it gave any future employer a chance to ask "Why did you leave?" to which he could say "The club wasn't being ran well and there would have only been so much I could have done".

I think recently I'm starting to look at our club more and more as an outsider and whilst I cannot thank SL enough for the money he has invested, the stadium he is financing and so on I also think that he needs to stay out of the running of the club and employ someone who actually knows how to develop a club. I also think he then needs to listen to that person when it comes to hiring and firing because let's face it, the only success he's had with managers in the recent years was SC and GJ. SC got to go out and buy the best players for that league and during the GJ era we were drastically overpaying players in order to be competitive. Our two most successful spells in recent years have come from overpaying, if SL really wants to create a self-sufficient club then he needs to stop making the big decisions and put his trust in someone capable of making said decision.

The OP has given an edited version of the Times piece and I'm not prepared to pay to read the unedited version. So working from this edited version.

This is 20-20 hindsight piece and he's learned some lessons. The edited version of the piece tends to point to 'it was the boards fault', DM was a 'victim' of circumstances out of his control. I find this view bizarre. To use your parlance, I think DM (as the manager) took the bob the builder plastic toys and added to the collection. DM was an active participant in this saga which directly affected the results on the pitch. The edited Times piece given makes no mention of this.

I think DMC was the right manager undoubtedly at the wrong time. 

The mess at the club and battalion sized squad with egos was way too big a job for him; this was the time for a Neil Warnock type to sythe the squad in a ruthless no mercy approach and bring in short term replacements with no agendas to keep us in the division until it had been completely trimmed.

As others have said, however, this is not only the fault of the board but DMC as well; he should have known what he was taking on and asked himself the question honestly; 'can i fulfill the entire remit of this job?'

However, the board took on one helluva gamble in brining him in with only Scottish football management experience; the evidence of that mistake can be seen with most of the signings he made which were poor. The poll I did for new manager back then had him as the main favourite for the job so we were all, to a majority, rather glazed over with his aura of magic.

I think he will manage again in the English leagues but he needs to cut his teeth at a 'big club' in Scotland for some seasons and i think that still means one of the Old Firm. If he were to leave Aberdeen say at the end of next season having won a cup, done quite well in Europe and come second in the league he might, might, pick up a job at a top end Championship club. If he does the same at the Old Firm he would be on the shortlist of mid to lower table Premiership clubs, but only just. I wish him well.

On 15 February 2016 at 02:38, havanatopia said:

I think DMC was the right manager undoubtedly at the wrong time. 

The mess at the club and battalion sized squad with egos was way too big a job for him; this was the time for a Neil Warnock type to sythe the squad in a ruthless no mercy approach and bring in short term replacements with no agendas to keep us in the division until it had been completely trimmed.

As others have said, however, this is not only the fault of the board but DMC as well; he should have known what he was taking on and asked himself the question honestly; 'can i fulfill the entire remit of this job?'

However, the board took on one helluva gamble in brining him in with only Scottish football management experience; the evidence of that mistake can be seen with most of the signings he made which were poor. The poll I did for new manager back then had him as the main favourite for the job so we were all, to a majority, rather glazed over with his aura of magic.

I think he will manage again in the English leagues but he needs to cut his teeth at a 'big club' in Scotland for some seasons and i think that still means one of the Old Firm. If he were to leave Aberdeen say at the end of next season having won a cup, done quite well in Europe and come second in the league he might, might, pick up a job at a top end Championship club. If he does the same at the Old Firm he would be on the shortlist of mid to lower table Premiership clubs, but only just. I wish him well.

What's his excuse for this result against Inverness C T

On 12 February 2016 at 20:16, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

In case anyone is interested

Last year £10million on Staff & Player wages
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts-2015213-2910152.pdf

2011 £18million on Staff and Player costs
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts2012213-525135.pdf

Bearing in mind we had a very full squad then vs the last seasons tiny squad on L1 wages and we were in L1 I call erm bull Mr McWinless.

Who were the high earners ? David James , Pittman ?

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

Maybe Derek should focus on the task in hand a little more. Might not end up getting hammered by power houses such as Inverness then.

Maybe if we listened to what people say about our club we wouldn't have had to wait until January to sign anyone, or heomorraged 10m+ a year on dross for years.

5 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Maybe if we listened to what people say about our club we wouldn't have had to wait until January to sign anyone, or heomorraged 10m+ a year on dross for years.

Of course but it was going on long before a bitter ex manager decided to pipe up. Things are certainly moving in the right direction now. No point holding on to the past. Like I said, McWinless should focus on the task in hand.

Archived